Kpop Music Mondays: GD&TOP “Knock Out”

January 25, 2011

Comments

Oh boy. This video’s now as old as TVXQ “Keep Your Head Down” and MBLAQ “Cry,” and there are lots of new songs that we could be reviewing instead, but – well – did we have any choice? Sure, it was delayed as more requests came for the other songs, but after Martina’s sadness last week lots of people pitched in to add their vote for GD&TOP’s Knock Out, so here it is!

Right off the bat, we can say that we don’t like this song as much as “High High,” but we do like this video better. This song is really catchy, sure, but it doesn’t have the same kind of shout-my-heart-out-cuz-I-love-this-song energy to it. But this video’s a lot cooler, and a lot more like what we’d expect from a YG Entertainment video. GD&TOP sit in butt chairs, dance around a tank, and have a puppy. A puppy! Also, here’s a cheesy joke: Why do GD&TOP have Segway’s in this video? Cuz that’s how they role! Ha! Lame joke, I know.

Also, we’ve really started to notice how much Top isn’t into dancing. Like, at all. He’ll do it for a video, but barely, and a bit awkwardly. What’s he doing at the end of the video? Riding an invisible motorcycle? Cuz that’s how he rolls! Ah, no that joke wasn’t funny.

More seriously, though, we’re finding the music banning going on lately a bit silly. Sorry, but it’s silly. This song has been banned by KBS, SBS, and MBC. Why? Not because it depicts drugs or violence or sex. Not even because it uses profanity. But because it’s somehow considered damaging to the national psyche. Can somebody please tell me what this national psyche is, what the rules are for it, and – more importantly what’s the criteria for what’s damaging or not? Seriously, a ban like this is just silly, and doesn’t paint Korean Broadcasting in a good light. And what’s the ban doing apart from making the song more popular and sought after? The taboo makes it more interesting. Ah. Rubbish. Korean Broadcasting, please stop banning songs.

As always, JB and Annie from [닉쑤] Enjoy Your Happy Life~* are awesome for so diligently translating all of our videos into Korean. Huzzah! Also, if you’re as much a fan of GD&TOP as Martina is, you can buy GD&TOP’s Album by clicking the link here. Yeah!

Comments

Kpop Music Mondays: GD&TOP “Knock Out”

1. Have you guys ever seen a movie with TOP in it? It's something like watching TOP doing all sorts of things for 2 hours. I was Just wondring cause Martina seems like a big fan of TOPs

2. Someone knows the real title of the "happy party music" ?
    This is so addictive ! :0
    I love Martina's dance too :p

3. gd and top of course! their video really blows my mind unexpectedly. their videos are totally the definition of cool, awesome, and dorky but sexy. no idols have don't this kind of video before. great job GD and TOP and DIPLO. ssoo addicting

4. GD&TOP's Knock Out for sure!!! XD Visual Dreams is like the worst SNSD song EVER! ;O

5. GD&TOP

6. 아주 뻑뻑뻑뻑 뻑이 가요!
    GD&TOP forever! :D haha i vote for them
    lol snsd tries too hard to look 12 years old again
    aand request for one of seungri's new songs! preferably vvip :)

7. GD and TOP's Knock !!

8. GD & TOP forever!
    May I request Secret's shy boy? Thank you & rock onnnnn! ;D

9. I vote for GD&TOP!!!! <3

and Seungri' V.V.I.P for next week please!! :) Or Park Jung Min's Not Alone. I'd be happy w/ either one!

10. i vote for GD and TOP's Knock Out over SNSD
    thanks sooooo much for reviewing this MV
    and i hope you'll do Seungri's next week

11. GD TOP!! Simon, your video is boring.

12. Gd &Top!!!!

13. Yes, finally…!!!!! I've been waiting for these Music Monday episode for 2 weeks and now it's here..!!! Yeiiii…!!!!
    My vote definitely goes to GD and TOP..!

So funny the part of the requests: Marteena, martiner, not martina 1…. hahahahaha XD

14. Hi guys! I must say i loved when Martina did the whole hooray sequence and dubbed over Simon's part with all GD&Top praise, very very cool. Thank you for featuring them on Music Mondays. I totally vote for GD&Top over SNSD anyday.
    I also want to request a song to feature: the new Seungri song "V.V.I.P.", just more Big Bang love.
    Thank you! :D

15. you guys are really amazing.. i love your videos… definitely GD & TOP yeah!!!! grettings from Mexico!!!

16. TOTALLY GD&TOP FOR THE VOTE.

they totally just recruited a whole slew of people into being fans of a Kpop artist, if not the rest of Kpop, with that song. screw SNSD. (lol jk, i actually like SNSD, but that song gets on my nerves. bleh)

KNOCK OUT ALL THE WAY.

(sorry for commenting twice, i posted the first one while the video was loading)

17. Yeah…double post…
    Sistar “How Dare You”-BANNED?!?!?WHY??

18. GD AND TOP KNOCK OUT >D

19. I vote GD&TOP (sorry Simon) and thanks for this Music Monday!^^

20. Your earrings and braces*love,love*
    Korea have snow…Bulgaria have snow -.HORAY <3 *big silly smile*
    0:21-1:00 Asians:'What is she doing?"-"Dunno"-"Aigoo,I don't understand women but i totally don't understand white women…"xDDD where is all asians btw?
    "Shazam"-Martina ,u Do't say it correctly, leave this job to Simon :3
    I like bubble wrap scene 2.And yeah…TOP is smarty pants (xD) he love literacy.
    Simon's "Good for u"-give me the creeps X.x

Why suprisinglyyy…MBLAQ was sooo superb-cool-wet-witout umbrellas-smexy!!!Awww *fan girl*
    SNSD-i hate the song soo i hate the clip 2 xD*evil*
    GD&TOP ARE THE BEST :33

For next…mmm…lets seeee…
    1.Park Jung Min(SS501) “Not Alone“
    2.Seungri(BIGBANG) “VVIP” or "WHAT CAN I DO"
    Um…Martiner,Martina 1,2,Not Martina 1,2->ROFL!

P.S yeeee i have more characters here…BAD youtube!!!

21. Gd & Top fa sure. Next week Seungri or Piggy Dolls Trend.

22. Sorry Simon, but I gotta go with Martina's pick! GD & TOP FTW~!

23. GD&TOP …HOT<3

24. Yay!! It finally uploaded! I've been checking the website every 5 minutes since I woke up. Well almost.
    I love TOP but his dancing does need a little help…

And I'm with Martina: GD&TOP!!! :-)

25. GTOP- KNock OUT FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. GD&TOP duh!!

27. I'm glad you guys finally reviewed this video. :) Loved Martina doing the fan girl spazzing and hijacking the mic when Simon was talking lol. Oh dunno if Martina knows but the guys did "Night After Night" and it's up on DailyMotion (the first five parts). It's really good. :) And yeah Top isn't a dancer lol. I believe he used to get yelled at by choreographers in their training/debut days lol. And the puppy is GD's baby Gaho. He's adorable. You can see him in 2ne1 tv season one. Or just go to Youtube and type in "G-Dragon Gaho" and you can find him. He's adorable. As for the ending question it's tough cause I like both but I'm going to go with GD/Top for my vote even though I'm liking the SNSD song "Visual Dreams."

28. Oh Em Gee.I have to celebrate that too. -Visual firework&confetti-
    My vote goes to GD&TOP. (:

29. GD&TOP

30. GD&TOP. Like there's another choice?!?!?!?

31. this has GOT to be an awesome day. you're reviewing Knock Out, AND i finally found a place to watch Nineteen starring TOP and Seungri today. xD WIN!!!!

anyway, yay for finally reviewing this!!!!! i'm totally with Martina, this totally shoulda been done last week (no offence to MBLAQ fans).

also, did ya'll see diplo's response to this? he did the beats for this song. http://maddecent.com/blog/gd-and-top-knock-out

it's actually kinda funny, especially when you read the comments from people who have no idea who they are. a bunch of them are now interested in Kpop xD

• Cool! Thanks for the link :D We've liked Diplo for a while now, since his work with M.I.A. We saw GD&TOP mention him a couple of times in this video, and thought that he might have made the beat, but weren't sure. Makes sense now!

32. FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT ENOUGH TIME TO TYPE AS MANY EXCLAMATION POINTS AS I WANT!!

And, I'm going with GD&TOP on this one. SNSD is kind of a snooze fest.

33. I think Simon is just jealous of TOPs manly dancing and all round manliness. Who else could ride an invisible motorbike and look sexy? Only TOP, thats who! I vote GD&TOP of course~

34. Hmmmmmm…..that's a tough one. Don't be angry at me Simon and Martina but they were both a bit hard to watch. Maybe it's because I'm old.
    *GD & TOP….GD has a Don King Hairstyle and trying to mix it with Boy George makeup. Did Playboy pay for their clothes?
    *SNSD…..Female Androids? Animated blow-up dolls? Not their best work.
    Can't make up my mind about which one….
    What I liked the most was Martina's jumping all through the neighborhood. Can I vote for that?

35. GD & TOP's KNOCK OUT!!!

36. I vote GD&TOP (sorry Simon) and thanks for this Music Monday!^^

37. GD & TOP!!!

38. I have to put my vote for GD&TOP. Love them! :)

39. GD&TOP video!!
    Great choice Martina~haha :)

40. I choose SNSD for the Intel video. Visual dream.