Kpop Music Mondays: GD&TOP “Knock Out”

January 25, 2011

Comments

Oh boy. This video’s now as old as TVXQ “Keep Your Head Down” and MBLAQ “Cry,” and there are lots of new songs that we could be reviewing instead, but – well – did we have any choice? Sure, it was delayed as more requests came for the other songs, but after Martina’s sadness last week lots of people pitched in to add their vote for GD&TOP’s Knock Out, so here it is!

Right off the bat, we can say that we don’t like this song as much as “High High,” but we do like this video better. This song is really catchy, sure, but it doesn’t have the same kind of shout-my-heart-out-cuz-I-love-this-song energy to it. But this video’s a lot cooler, and a lot more like what we’d expect from a YG Entertainment video. GD&TOP sit in butt chairs, dance around a tank, and have a puppy. A puppy! Also, here’s a cheesy joke: Why do GD&TOP have Segway’s in this video? Cuz that’s how they role! Ha! Lame joke, I know.

Also, we’ve really started to notice how much Top isn’t into dancing. Like, at all. He’ll do it for a video, but barely, and a bit awkwardly. What’s he doing at the end of the video? Riding an invisible motorcycle? Cuz that’s how he rolls! Ah, no that joke wasn’t funny.

More seriously, though, we’re finding the music banning going on lately a bit silly. Sorry, but it’s silly. This song has been banned by KBS, SBS, and MBC. Why? Not because it depicts drugs or violence or sex. Not even because it uses profanity. But because it’s somehow considered damaging to the national psyche. Can somebody please tell me what this national psyche is, what the rules are for it, and – more importantly what’s the criteria for what’s damaging or not? Seriously, a ban like this is just silly, and doesn’t paint Korean Broadcasting in a good light. And what’s the ban doing apart from making the song more popular and sought after? The taboo makes it more interesting. Ah. Rubbish. Korean Broadcasting, please stop banning songs.

As always, JB and Annie from [닉쑤] Enjoy Your Happy Life~* are awesome for so diligently translating all of our videos into Korean. Huzzah! Also, if you’re as much a fan of GD&TOP as Martina is, you can buy GD&TOP’s Album by clicking the link here. Yeah!

Comments

Kpop Music Mondays: GD&TOP “Knock Out”

1. I vote for GD & TOP! :D

And I agree, the reason for banning this song was RIDICULOUS lol

2. Yup, yup, they definitely look like "wrappers" in this video!
    TOP actually said that while promoting for GD&TOP (in a High High-era interview), GD told him that he (GD) would do all the moving & prancing around and to just occupy the middle of the stage, but after the 3rd performance, you could see TOP got a little more into it and started looking less like a rusted robot on stage.

I vote for GD&TOP over SNSD (who's music video seems like an advert for orange juice or something…)

3. Both GD&TOP and SNSD's songs/videos are good but this is defiantly not SNSD's best work. I mean the line for example in the front row someone was always covering up someone in the back. Also I thought they were supposed to be getting away from the cute scene? Haha but the dance was different which is Kool and the outfits weren't bad. I like how they put more of Sooyoung in ( She's the best!) They usually always have her off to the side or in the back. But GD&TOP win! I love the video y'all made this week! Y'all are great!
    How about 2NE1 – Don't stop the music or Teen Top – Supa luv

4. Top can sing look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foBKR00N1H8 ~!~!~!~!
    I do not understand why they never have him sing ><
    I can never pick a girl band over TOP, so I guess it has to be knockout ^_^
    Oh and do one of Seungri's new MVs next week please

5. Ana

GD&TOP all the way XD
    That SNSD video was a fail….

I think the dog on their vid is GD's puppy!

Anyway, I actually do love GD's different colour eyebrows :p

6. GD & TOP……………

7. Yay!! Finally GD+TOP…even though I must admit I was thrilled TVXQ got their mv reviewed first (Im a Cassie, hehehe), I also wanted a review for Knock Out.

P.S. The song Simon was rapping was Mobb Deep – Shock ones part 2

• BAM! Simon's got that whole song memorized. Little known fact: he was very hood when I was younger :D

8. What an mind-blowingly awesome HOORAY Edition!! I just have to say, the puppy in the video isn't just ANY puppy but GD's Gaho and he's about year and a half now :)

When 2NE1 was working with will.i.am, he played around with his Segway so YG got couple of them for his company too :D

GD&TOP all the way, and please please please review Seungri next week! <3 Love you guys & Spudgy :]

9. YAY PANDA!
    me so happy when me watchy this clippy… *nod nod*
    anyways… tnx for the review I've been waiting for…
    and also… is there a need to ask?… of course I would vote for GD&TOP… lolz…

10. DAEBAK !!!
    Shout-my-heart-out-cuz-I-love-the-comment-below the video !!! Regarding all this k-ban-broadcasting madness,it's about time they come into their senses and stop being soo ridiculous !!!
    As for the voting part,would it be a surprise if i say : GD&TOP,baby,baby !!!
    Till next MOnday ●๋:

11. GD is so cute but my vote its foor SNSD!!!!

12. GD & TOP dahh!! Sorry Simon~

13. I'm voting for SNSD because their clothes didn't make my eyes hurt. Seriously, it was like bad eighties exploded all over GD&TOP.

14. So i guess simon must have seen 8 miles or, a fan of mobb deep.
    yes sir i'm a huge fan of the song ,shook ones part 2.
    it goes like
    livin' the life that of diamons and guns
    livin' life like there's no damn rules,
    FUNNY^^

• I'm only 19 but my mind is old
      and when things get for real my warm heart turns cold.

BAM! That song was a life-changer.

15. well I heard that T.O.P just can't dance. simple as that. I don't care thou, he's perfect anyway.
    this week only Jungmin (from SS501) MV is coming into my mind. but I don't think it would be funny to review. oh wait, there's still (kinda old now) Infinite "BTD" MV :D yeah, please do this one :)

16. GD&TOP. I can't wait for them to release their mvs for Baby Good Night and Don't Go Home.