Girls Generation – The Boys: Kpop Music Monday

October 25, 2011

Comments

There was no chance of any song being reviewed today at all. None at all. Just like how Infinite fans totally dominate our Music Monday Request Polls when a new video is out, so too do Sones dominate our polls for a Girls’ Generation video. So here is their new video, The Boys:

Now, quick notice before we carry on: we reviewed the English version of the video, which we downloaded before we came to Canada. For some odd reason, though, it’s not viewable on YouTube in Canada. Why? The English version is viewable in Korea, where they don’t speak English, but not in Canada, where they do speak English. What was the point of making an English version of the video if you’re preventing your English audience from watching it? Totally mind-bottling, if you ask me. Our guess is that perhaps SM is worried that the view count will be spread out between the two videos, and won’t look that impressive, so it’s better to force everyone to watch one official version of it. Bah! You can find the English version of the video through illegitimate uploaders, but we’re not ones to promote such activity, so you’ll have to find it on your own.

On to the song and video itself: we’re not as happy with it as we should be, and I’m worried that people are going to start thinking of us as SM haters, which is totally not true. We loved TVXQ’s comeback, and loved f(x)’s comeback as well. Super Junior’s comeback, though, we found really underwhelming, and this song also isn’t doing it for us. In fact, this is our least favourite SM song of the year. Yeah. It’s that bad. Or maybe it’s not that it’s bad, more than it’s underwhelming < --which is not a word, but you can get what we're feeling. Now don't go calling us Girls Generation haters, either, now. We really love just about every other song they did. Loved Hoot, loved Run Devil Run, and totally freaking loved Genie, which is one of Simon's favourite Kpop songs EVAR. EVAR! We even liked Visual Dreams (but not the rap part)! Seriously! Girls Generation are great singers and have a history of great songs, and we're definitely fans of their singing. [caption id="attachment_6314" align="alignright" width="250" caption="These are not the monkey balls we are referring to"]supermonkeyballs[/caption]

We are not fans of their rapping, though. Nope. Not even a little bit. It’s irredeemably, terribly, horrifically, monkey balls awful. It makes our skin crawl. We understand that Girls Generation are maybe going for a different image by trying to rap, but this is not working for them. Holy craptacularly terrible. And it’s not that easy for us to say it, because the rest of the song shows their awesome singing, which is what made us originally fans of Girls Generation, but this new twist, this contrast between their awesome singing and monkey balls rapping is like the contrast of watching Jessica Alba in a bikini and then cutting to Simon in his Seungri Time for Kisses wig, in a speedo. Ugh!

The video is just such a terrible match for it as well. If they’re walking around all elegantly, with tiaras in a freaking rose storm, then by what freaking rights should they be rapping afterwards? Who thought of this disconnected image? If you’re going to have them belt out rap lines, about how cocky and arrogant they are, then walking around a giant diamond isn’t the image you need, and doesn’t fit the feel of the song. Put them in a club where they have the chance to prove that they can bring out some boys. Have guys gawk at them. This…this is just all wrong.

We’re trying to figure out why they went this route. We hear that this is Girls’ Generation’s North American debut, so they’re probably trying to change their image to what they think a North American crowd likes more: confident women, rather than aegyo girls. That’s understandable. But it just sounds too unnatural, from our perspective. The whole drumline/cheerleader section sounds like an awkward attempt at Gwen Stefani’s Hollarback Girl sound from a while ago. You know who did drumline right? After School with “Bang”. That song rocked, and it even had sexy drumline uniforms to match and a wicked dance.

And, finally, I don’t think we can belabour this point enough, but we’re totally sick of SM’s boring rooms. They’re so overused that it’s becoming ridiculous. We complain about it with Super Junior, and we thought that we’d get something cooler with Girls’ Generation’s new video, but we got the same ole same ole

SM Oddly Lit Rooms

I see no difference SM. No difference

SM, this needs to stop. Perhaps you think that this is the formula for music videos, and so you’re going to repeat it to no end, but your laziness is apparent to everyone now. Please, hire a new video team, because the one you have now is lazy and comfortable, and feel no need to innovate or create anything exciting or interesting. It’s boring now, just boring, to see people dancing in weird rooms. We know that you make good music. You have that down pat now, when it comes to making good sounding music. Your videos suck though. Not every freaking video needs to be a display of how sexy and attractive your members are. You can show them off AND still have a decent storyline to the video as well, anything then just FUNKY ROOM + DANCE + CLOSE UPS + 360 degree camera.

Girls Generation The Boys Album

Ah! That’s enough. We’re using this video and Girls’ Generation as an excuse to complain about SM’s moviemaking skills, but that’s not fair to the band, who still are awesome singers. If you’re interested in picking up the album, you can do so by clicking the image to the right here to get the album shipped to you anywhere in the world. Or, if you’re indifferent to getting physical albums, you can get the song on iTunes here. Or if you’re not into buying stuff you can torrent it, I guess. BOOM! And, lastly, what good is a Music Mondays if we don’t put up some bloopers!

We had to film this Music Monday outdoors, because – if you don’t know by now – we’re in Canada! We surprised our families, who had no idea that we were coming (but that’s a story for another video, coming up soon!). Anyhow, we couldn’t pack our lighting gear with us, so we had to film Music Monday outdoors, and there’s construction going on outside, so, pooh to the noisiness. Damn! We’re hanging out in Toronto and probably going on a road trip somewhere, as soon as we handle some business here first, so if you see us around make sure you say hi! If you’re in the Toronto area, and would like to meet up with us, we’re having a meet and greet Q&A kind of thing over at U of T, our Alma Mater! Sign up for it on Facebook and make sure you come out! Woohoo!

Comments

Girls Generation – The Boys: Kpop Music Monday

1. As much as I love both SNSD and U-Kiss, I’m going to go for U-Kiss’s Neverland because I’m U-Kiss bias lol. Great review guys! It totally made my Monday! (and today was the first day back at school too so this was much needed!)

2. UKISS NEVERLAND!

3. U-KISS all the way!

4. Neverland, no doubt. I frikking love that song and the video.

5. OK, call me crazy (You’re crazy!) but I’ve had the song stuck on repeat for a week. OK, maybe I am crazy. In any case, I like the song. I agree that “Genie” is their best. I think the “rapping”, if you want to call it that (“chant” is probably better), is OK, or at least good enough to not turn the song off after say, 12 times on repeat. But, I don’t expect much along the hip-hop line from SNSD. If I want to hear a female rapper, there’s Miryo, but also Gilme from Clover. (I’d really like to hear what you have to say about either “La Vida Loca” or “아는 오빠”).

If you think these lyrics don’t really connect together, have you read any New Order lyrics? Then again, the lyrics were never really the point of New Order, I think, as much as the overall feel and sound of the music. It won’t be the same without Peter Hook, though, but I digress. Maybe Teddy Riley just figured he needed something to make up the verse, and the real message is in the chorus.

The blocking of the video to most of the world is probably thanks to Interscope and Universal. I’m not sure what they’re waiting on, but at least I made sure I grabbed it ASAP the day it came out. I got it about 2 hours before it was blocked. Maybe they’re waiting until the physical maxi-single is ready to ship. What I’d like to know is when “The Boys” will be released to radio in North America, so I can bug my local radio stations to play it. Unfortunately, Interscope hasn’t been saying, that I know of.

If they get a follow-up, I’d really want them to do an English version of “Genie” with lyrics based off the Korean version, and not using the original English lyrics.

Simon, I’ll try to forgive you wearing a TFC jacket so soon after you all knocked Ma Hoops out of the CCL. That still stings. So does losing 4-2 to San Jose, but the TFC loss really hurts. I’ve had a really crappy autumn so far.

6. you also know you “dont want to hear it again” cause its written by americans. haha irony.

7. supposedly the english version is coming out on VEVO thats why its not viewable here anymore

8. Legit LOLed so hard when the dove said “I’m boys! Guise?!!”

Yeah, I agree with practically everything you said. The song lacks kicks, it doesn’t flow well, and although the video is pretty, it has no correlation with the song.

9. The English version is blocked because it has been re uploaded on SNSD’s VEVO channel. I vote for SNSD.

10. I agree 100% with this review- and am so glad you guys said it. I think the core of the problem though is that they let Teddy Riley write the song. He just doesn’t get Kpop.

11. Ren

U-Kiss’s Neverland!
    I could watch the MV all day 8D

12. I VOTE FOR U-KISS. :)

13. U-KISS, all the way!

14. Welcome home, guise!  I can see Spudgy’s enjoying Canada.  :)

We really love just about every other song they did. Loved Hoot, loved
    Run Devil Run, and totally freaking loved Genie, which is one of
    Simon’s favourite Kpop songs EVAR. EVAR!

Simon, +1 for you.  :D

I have to agree with your guise/guy’s review: visually great video, great singing, but yeah the rap wasn’t their strongest point.  It didn’t make my skin crawl, but I agree it’s just not their forte.  The best example I can think of a good strong, Korean rap would be f(x), but that’s just me.  :)

My guess is that this video was overall more intended as an intro to their new album (hence the cool visuals), and not necessarily intended to be the song people remember most.  Or maybe that too is just me.  Thanks again for a great video.

P.S. Sunny’s new hair style was pretty awesome. Fits her well.

15. U-KISS, definitely!

16. I think this is honestly the first time I’ve agreed with you guys on EVRYTHING you said. From Miryo to Genie, to the chorus reminding me of After School, I was surprised at how much I agreed with. I also found myself saying “U-Kiss, Neverland” right as Simon said it when he asked who had the better snowy video. Hmm…weird…0_0 Odd coincidences aside, I’m going to vote for U-KISS this week. They had an Ice-sculpture and SNSD seemed to be dancing around in a cold-looking environment in dust….I saw no snow. :(

17. Yeah, I’m gonna go with “Neverland.” I didn’t hate “The Boys” when I first saw it and I was surprised that Martina hated this video as much as she did. Especially since she seemed to like “A-CHA” (I couldn’t/still haven’t been able to finish that song).

But then she did the whole Kanye/JYJ comparison and I actually shuddered. I don’t think I can listen to this song anymore.

I don’t know what’s going on with them, but S.M. really needs to get it together. The blog post was right: There is a lot of laziness going on in this company. It sounds like all of the songs are being written by one person who hands it off to the one choreographer who then sends it to their one videographer. Get some fresh ideas, PLEASE!

18. This always makes my Mondays awesome~

I’m voting for SNSD.
    I actually liked the song. A lot. And I honestly didn’t mind the rapping a bit.

19. U-Kiss Neverland

20. U-KISS!!!! :DDDD

21. I’m not a fan of SNSD’s music, but when I watched the teaser for their comeback, it sparked my interest. Unfortunately, I was just as disappointed with the song as you guys (no offense to SNSD fans!), and the attempt at rap made me want to gag. Is this a trend with SM to make super exciting teasers and then have the actual comeback itself be kind of meh?

Just like Super Junior’s teaser, I was super excited for their comeback. I loved the song Yesung sang at the beginning, with the jazzy feel and his vocals were fantastic. I thought maybe they were trying something different, and I was liking it. Then I heard “Mr. Simple”… at first, I wasn’t a fan but it grew on me and is now a permanent fixture on my Exercise Mix.

Wow, okay, distracted. My vote’s for U-Kiss, even if there was an annoying block of ice that couldn’t decide if it wanted to melt or not! :P

22. I don’t agree with you at all, and my vote definitely goes for GG!
    I am actually almost addicted to the song/video.

But you guys are so funny! I kept laughing watching your video :)
    Love you guys!

23. Ukiss is really the better snow ! :D

24. Ana

Definitely U-KISS. (:
    I actually really like The Boys, but I didn’t like the rapping as well.

25. Oh my gosh! Did i see Mordor on that map!? XD and wow, i didn’t think Canada would be so….. green! Especially this time of year, isn’t it cold up there?

And for the challenge I’m going with U-Kiss! The song is the first Korean song i actually learned with the correct pronunciation of lyrics, not just what it sounded like to me (which probably made no sense at all). At least in Neverland there ARE boy! Lots and lots of cute dancing and singing boys! Not to mention sweet well behaved ones *cough* Kevin *cough*

• Haha, I’m sure its cold up there, but there needs to be precipitation and all that jazz for it to snow. Besides, they aren’t like super north or anything. Just on the other side of Lake Ontario (so more or less you could probably call that just across the border).

And I agree, I prefer my snowy places to include boys, especially when they look like UKiss!

• I know, its just surprising to me to see such green grass (up north at this time of year) because the state I’m in is 97% in severe drought right now, which means brown grass. I haven’t seen green in a LONG time or have cold weather for that matter.

• Wow, that is kind of depressing. I need all four seasons to survive I think lol.
          What state are you in?

• Dido, im in southern Texas so its very hot…. and humid. Luckily the weather has been changing and its been cooling down. And you?

• Whoops, sorry it took so long to respond. School was basically kicking my butt.

I’m in Cincinnati, Ohio. During the summer we get a lot of humidity here too, so I feel your pain haha.

26. U-KISS NEVERLAND

27. U-Kiss Neverland FOREVERRRRRR
    But I love SNSD too :D

28. Best snowy scene definitely goes to UKiss, because I adore UKiss and at least the setting made some sense with the song (I made a comment about it on the Neverland review).

As for The Boys…this song is just terrible. I’m not really a Girls Generation fan: most of their songs are ok, I loved Genie, and I can’t listen to Run Devil Run at all because I heard Kesha’s demo first and the few attempts at SNSD’s version just led to me switching back to Kesha, I just can’t do it. This song doesn’t have anything going for it in my opinion. I heard the Korean version first and the rapping and music styling and video really sucked. I watched the English version and the lyrics made it even worse. And if this is supposed to be their North American debut…well, things aren’t looking so good in my opinion. I can’t picture ever hearing this on the radio or being big at all, its a very crappy attempt at hip hop/pop. They are trying too hard to make what they think is an American hit

29. I totally agree with you on EVERYTHING! This is not their best song nor video. But I have to say that they all look really beautiful in it. Even Hyoyeon, who I think is the most hideous female idol (sorry, but it’s true!).

I definitely prefer U-KISS’s Neverland. The song is catchier and the dance is way more amazing! It’s being almost 2 months since Neverland came out and it’s still stuck in my mind and I still do the dance on the street when nobody is watching. Seriously.

30. ummm, guise? isn’t it “mind-boggling”??

i agree. my sister watched both the korean and english versions of this video and liked both versions of the song. apparently that’s a rarity as she has a tendency to like the first version she hears better.
    i trust her judgement when she reviews  things, but when i went to listen to this song, i totally went -_- b/c i felt it really fell flat. i’m not the biggest SNSD fan but i do agree that they have great voices. i like a bunch of their songs, but this song really left me “underwhelmed”. i felt it was really lacking in the girl-power department – there is no strength behind what they’re saying and they come off as sounding weak. of course, maybe that’s because they’re on 900 calorie-a-day diets…..which would leave ANYONE feeling weak, especially when you’re working out and practising as much as these girls do.

also, i think SM has put SNSD and super junior under some sort of chastity contract where they can’t interact with members of the opposite sex. and the only time SNSD had any male interaction, it was with siwon, the most Godly Christian boy of suju, so they KNOW he wouldn’t try anything.

i dunno. SM really needs to pull up their stockings if they want to succeed in north america they way they have elsewhere.

one last thing…sunny looks AMAZING with the short blonde hair!!! wig or not, i vote she keep it!!

(sorry so long)

31. U-kiss

32. Definitely U-Kiss for this one

33. Is just a wild guess but could it be that Simon favoruite character from A Song of Ice and Fire is Khal Drogo? XD

I agree 100% i love SNSD since their debut years ago but now…when they start to rap…is just…not right!
    Pussycat Dolls feelings all the way and we now who is the kpop girlgroup that can put off the Pussycat Dolls feel and it is not SNSD.

Now i’m listen to the song, the album is great, but when it comes to Yuri part…bleh XP and she is a great singer! SME what are you doing?

34. While the rapping was ehh (I got used to it though, it’s actually not that bad….it’s better in the Korean version), the singing was AMAZING. Jessica’s and Taeyeon’s high notes, and not to mention SEOHYUN AND YOONA. I feel like they’ve improved so much, especially in their live performances. Verses were freaking amazing, chorus was the thing that didn’t make the song as good as it could have been. Eh, blame Teddy Riley. -_-

Also, as for the English version not being available, it’s because SM is making a GirlsGenerationVEVO, while will officially open when the maxi-single is released in the United States. It wouldn’t be cool to have an unreleased song’s music video openly online. XD but yeah, it’s not because of the whole views thing, or else SM would have made the video private worldwide.

35. I’m thinking you’re forgetting that we only have two seasons – winter & construction. ALL THE FREAKIN TIME.

36. I hated The Boys as well, it was a big let down and I was so excited for it too.

Anyway, I vote U-Kiss Neverland! Mostly because The Boys was such a big let down…

37. UKISS NEVERLAND!!! i like snsd’s song but  i don’t like diz song too!!  dunno y..mayb too much chanting~

38. It’s sad that the SM artists get isolated in videos like that. How hard would it have been to draft a few members of Super Junior to be in this video, just to represent “the boys”?

My fav snow video is: U-KISS’ “Neverland”, hands down. Neverland was the first Music Monday I ever watched from you guys, and Neverland was the 2nd kpop video I ever watched, after SHINee’s “Ring Ding Dong”. Something about the snow, the weird lighting, and the reverse-melting ice cube made me watch it a few more times, and I’ve been listening to kpop nonstop since then.

So yeah. Neverland. :-)