Girls Generation – The Boys: Kpop Music Monday

October 25, 2011

Comments

There was no chance of any song being reviewed today at all. None at all. Just like how Infinite fans totally dominate our Music Monday Request Polls when a new video is out, so too do Sones dominate our polls for a Girls’ Generation video. So here is their new video, The Boys:

Now, quick notice before we carry on: we reviewed the English version of the video, which we downloaded before we came to Canada. For some odd reason, though, it’s not viewable on YouTube in Canada. Why? The English version is viewable in Korea, where they don’t speak English, but not in Canada, where they do speak English. What was the point of making an English version of the video if you’re preventing your English audience from watching it? Totally mind-bottling, if you ask me. Our guess is that perhaps SM is worried that the view count will be spread out between the two videos, and won’t look that impressive, so it’s better to force everyone to watch one official version of it. Bah! You can find the English version of the video through illegitimate uploaders, but we’re not ones to promote such activity, so you’ll have to find it on your own.

On to the song and video itself: we’re not as happy with it as we should be, and I’m worried that people are going to start thinking of us as SM haters, which is totally not true. We loved TVXQ’s comeback, and loved f(x)’s comeback as well. Super Junior’s comeback, though, we found really underwhelming, and this song also isn’t doing it for us. In fact, this is our least favourite SM song of the year. Yeah. It’s that bad. Or maybe it’s not that it’s bad, more than it’s underwhelming < --which is not a word, but you can get what we're feeling. Now don't go calling us Girls Generation haters, either, now. We really love just about every other song they did. Loved Hoot, loved Run Devil Run, and totally freaking loved Genie, which is one of Simon's favourite Kpop songs EVAR. EVAR! We even liked Visual Dreams (but not the rap part)! Seriously! Girls Generation are great singers and have a history of great songs, and we're definitely fans of their singing. [caption id="attachment_6314" align="alignright" width="250" caption="These are not the monkey balls we are referring to"]supermonkeyballs[/caption]

We are not fans of their rapping, though. Nope. Not even a little bit. It’s irredeemably, terribly, horrifically, monkey balls awful. It makes our skin crawl. We understand that Girls Generation are maybe going for a different image by trying to rap, but this is not working for them. Holy craptacularly terrible. And it’s not that easy for us to say it, because the rest of the song shows their awesome singing, which is what made us originally fans of Girls Generation, but this new twist, this contrast between their awesome singing and monkey balls rapping is like the contrast of watching Jessica Alba in a bikini and then cutting to Simon in his Seungri Time for Kisses wig, in a speedo. Ugh!

The video is just such a terrible match for it as well. If they’re walking around all elegantly, with tiaras in a freaking rose storm, then by what freaking rights should they be rapping afterwards? Who thought of this disconnected image? If you’re going to have them belt out rap lines, about how cocky and arrogant they are, then walking around a giant diamond isn’t the image you need, and doesn’t fit the feel of the song. Put them in a club where they have the chance to prove that they can bring out some boys. Have guys gawk at them. This…this is just all wrong.

We’re trying to figure out why they went this route. We hear that this is Girls’ Generation’s North American debut, so they’re probably trying to change their image to what they think a North American crowd likes more: confident women, rather than aegyo girls. That’s understandable. But it just sounds too unnatural, from our perspective. The whole drumline/cheerleader section sounds like an awkward attempt at Gwen Stefani’s Hollarback Girl sound from a while ago. You know who did drumline right? After School with “Bang”. That song rocked, and it even had sexy drumline uniforms to match and a wicked dance.

And, finally, I don’t think we can belabour this point enough, but we’re totally sick of SM’s boring rooms. They’re so overused that it’s becoming ridiculous. We complain about it with Super Junior, and we thought that we’d get something cooler with Girls’ Generation’s new video, but we got the same ole same ole

SM Oddly Lit Rooms

I see no difference SM. No difference

SM, this needs to stop. Perhaps you think that this is the formula for music videos, and so you’re going to repeat it to no end, but your laziness is apparent to everyone now. Please, hire a new video team, because the one you have now is lazy and comfortable, and feel no need to innovate or create anything exciting or interesting. It’s boring now, just boring, to see people dancing in weird rooms. We know that you make good music. You have that down pat now, when it comes to making good sounding music. Your videos suck though. Not every freaking video needs to be a display of how sexy and attractive your members are. You can show them off AND still have a decent storyline to the video as well, anything then just FUNKY ROOM + DANCE + CLOSE UPS + 360 degree camera.

Girls Generation The Boys Album

Ah! That’s enough. We’re using this video and Girls’ Generation as an excuse to complain about SM’s moviemaking skills, but that’s not fair to the band, who still are awesome singers. If you’re interested in picking up the album, you can do so by clicking the image to the right here to get the album shipped to you anywhere in the world. Or, if you’re indifferent to getting physical albums, you can get the song on iTunes here. Or if you’re not into buying stuff you can torrent it, I guess. BOOM! And, lastly, what good is a Music Mondays if we don’t put up some bloopers!

We had to film this Music Monday outdoors, because – if you don’t know by now – we’re in Canada! We surprised our families, who had no idea that we were coming (but that’s a story for another video, coming up soon!). Anyhow, we couldn’t pack our lighting gear with us, so we had to film Music Monday outdoors, and there’s construction going on outside, so, pooh to the noisiness. Damn! We’re hanging out in Toronto and probably going on a road trip somewhere, as soon as we handle some business here first, so if you see us around make sure you say hi! If you’re in the Toronto area, and would like to meet up with us, we’re having a meet and greet Q&A kind of thing over at U of T, our Alma Mater! Sign up for it on Facebook and make sure you come out! Woohoo!

Comments

Girls Generation – The Boys: Kpop Music Monday

1. I also thought the rap was kinda out of place and kinda killed the song. For me t is good but could have been awesome it just had something odd and it was the rap … maybe they wanted to present a fierce image against the good girl side they usually present.. the song is better in english so at least that is good .. I kinda made my own version after watching the video I just could not resists it xD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr5XzSfMnJk

2. Ah, it’s been a while since the last time I came to this blog, and it’s good to find that this fugly canadian YG fanboy couple with a terrible sense of humor is still pretending to be interested in kpop. :D
    This category should indeed be renamed to YG worship monday, not kpop music monday, cuz it is so obvious that the sole and only purpose of this crappy review things is to promote g-drugon or u-kiss which she’s privately attracted to, by criticizing other groups or singers for some unknown reason.

3. I don’t really like it at first but after seeing them perform it live in front of 30,000 crowd, let me just say it was the most powerful performance of the girls ever. You could feel the girls presence and the whole crowd was in awe. Definitely perfect for live performance. Top notch and the girl are drop dead gorgeous!! for the english of the song well blame Teddy Riley, never like the guy and hopefully this is the last time he ever produce for them.

4. Hey northern neighbors, I think it’s mind-BOGGLING rather than bottling. That’s what you guys do with moosehead beer.

And please don’t show Simon running again. ::my eyes:::

5. I’m a korean girl and have been living overseas for 5 years.

Ireland,uk,usa ..during the years,

Some local foods have become my favorites that I got used to somehow.

Sometimes When I get back to korea for vacation,

I miss those foods seriously while I’m in korea.

Do u guise ever have an experience like that while you r in canada?.

If so, what food would be in your mind now?  =]

6. Thank god.. when I saw that you reviewed this I was actually a little afraid that you will love it.

It’s such a rubbish song.. it’s something that Fergie would have sung, while she had a career.

7. Ohhhh, I totally did not know that! That was him in “Sorry, Sorry (Answer)”?! Haha, I thought that was Yesung there too! You just blew my mind.

8. UKISS Neerland is the best!! More catzy :D

9. UKISS also I agree with Martina about CNBLUE THEY WIN BY HEART! but seriously guise seriously.
    yh don’t word correct me Im from Tumblr!

10. the 360 degrees camera simon totally cracked me up. maaaan u should sooo use it in ur vids hahahahaha xDDDDD

11. OMGosh. i lost it  at  the simon 360 camera. so funny.
     I liked UKISS’s video better
    and you should road trip to WI cause it’s awesome and I live there ;)

12. UKISSSSSS <3

13. definitely for ukiss. SNSD is just lame and boring time this round, for once, and i hated the song arrangement.

14. oh so i’m not the only one who didn’t like the song ! Everybody was SO overexcited about it and i was like :/// meh…

… but hm… oh well, let say U-Kiss.

(and like a fool, i’m still voting for JYJ and Get Out every week since the release. I should stop, but it seems like i still can’t).

15. U-Kiss all the way! :D

16. U-KISS

17. U-KISS FOREVER!!!!!

18. SNSD MV was WAY better ^^

19. Just to add I like SNSD, but like every artist there is a point when they will lose the mark.  It’s all in a good days work and constructive criticism…

20. Then what’s the point? Overlooking the fact that the mv and lyrics don’t match up is just constructive criticism. It can’t be overlooked just because you like a group. Being open to anything is what makes you a true fan.

I’m not trying to pick a fight here, I’m just curious. What’s the point?

21. The reason why the English version isn’t viewable in America is quite simple, and I’m sure someone has already mentioned this before, but I’m too lazy to check so here goes: Vevo has exclusive rights to the video over there. Yup yup…

And other than that… Pretty much agree with everything that you guys said… The video pretty as hell (even though I’m not sure how a white dove and tiaras fits in with the general theme of “kick ass attitude” that they’re trying to portray), the dance works just fine, they’re pretty as per usual (albeit slightly weird in the solo shots) but the song is just impressively boring. Really, they should have gone with Trick instead…Oh well, we’ll get a repackage in like two months, hopefully that single will be better.

However, it’s not their worst. Visual Dreams is by far their worst song, felt personally offended when I heard that the first time.

22. The video, song, and dance were all a fail for me. More importantly SNSD please don’t rap and SM PLEASE don’t buy anymore leftover songs just because you got lucky with RDR…and get better videos.

23. Honestly, I’m no fan of aegyo, too much saccharine methinks. But I had high expectations for this because of all the hype!

And when I listened to the song, I was waiting for the hook/chorus and it never came!!! =(
    too many wasted possibilities!

24. I prefered U-Kiss’ Neverland video, I’m kind of sick of the whole SM-foreveraloneroom-thing :/

25. Martina, I love your outfit in this video. Super cute!

26. U-Kiss Neverland

27. I prefer U-KISS, I agree with Martina, SNSD can’t rap, and THE BOYS is the worst song they have ever produced but I do love the video though, the 360 degree slow motion camera especially.

Anyway my vote goes to U-KISS

28. No .. ..dont like this song …
    If SM is planning to target the Western audiences with this song, they may end up losing fans than gaining. You really dont need rap to win over international audience. I dont recall Celine Dion, Michael jackson, Backstreet Boys,  Michael Bolton and others ever rapping. They were fantastic singers. SNSD members are fantastic singers. Let them be fantastic singers rather than squeaky voiced rappers. I’ve heard Chip and Dale rap and they sound better than this.

You are in Toronto!!! T_T. I could have been in Toronto and I chose to come to Sydney instead … .. .AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

29. I agree with you! And i vote for UKISS

30. Ah yes, I have to agree with EVERY SINGLE WORD YOU SAID. I love Girls’ Generation, they’re one of my favourite girl groups of all time, but yeah, SM really really really really needs to do something new. I was expecting them to make FULL USE of that princess/fairy tale concept which could’ve had an epic story etc. etc. because their outfits are AMAZING…. so yeah, I don’t think they utilised that and made the song fit with the mv or anything like that… which was disappointing. Although I have to admit I have found myself putting the song on repeat…..even though their other songs were so much better….. xDD

Anyways, vote goes to Neverland because I felt that made somewhat more sense…..^^ haha~

31. I am so glad I am not the only one who felt this way Martina

32. U-Kiss!!

33. I really did NOT enjoy the video. I was constantly checking when the song would finish, because I didn’t want to miss out on anything that you would comment on. It was awful and dreadful. But I did enjoy it, none-the less. For some reason, I looked out for the girls (gurrs) with straightened hair. There where quite a few~

As for the showdown…U-KISS by a landslide~

34. Acy

u kiss

35. You are in Canada…..I knew something´s wrong :)
    Usually I take week-long dose of EatYourKimchi K-Pop at 17:00 CET, but suddenly something was wrong :)
    18:00 CET and nothing
    20:00 CET and still nothing.
    22:00 CET and STILL NOTHING.

Something was weird about the review too…..aha, it didn´t look like Korea´s country.
    I agree with review 100%.
    When someone say that MV is blocked then they should do it like I do and that´ s to download it immediately as it´s  possible.

36. Yay I got to finish watching the video! I have to agree that being a huge Girls Generation Fan once I heard Chocolate Love song, this video really lacked the male population to reaaly drive in the fact that they can bring the boys.~Duh you need the hot menz to establish that~ (SiWon is so freaking Hot! I <3 Siwon <3)

I vote for U-Kisss Neverland! I can watch that video on a loop di loop :)

37. I agree completely! For the teaser photos I expected much more, but right now I’m quite dissapointed (more than in Mr. Simple, when I couldn’t watch Siwon dancing in his psycodelic green boxer)

38. Awww. Spudgy is so CUTE!!!

39. I agree completely with everything said in this review. SM has been underwhelming me a lot lately, minus dbsk and f(x), and this review completely summed up why. I’m not complaining if snsd wants to move away from their usual sound/image, but this song wasn’t the best way to do it.

It seems pretty harsh to be pitting U-KISS against SNSD, lol. However I always seem to vote for the underdog, so U-KISS it is (although I personally much prefer both the “Neverland” song and video to “The Boys”).

40. I agree with the SM MV sets and story line.. very crappy indeed. Same with SNSD’s rap skills not something pleasant. Anyhow, can’t wait to see you at U of T even if the timing isn’t that good since i have a 2-5 chem lab that day. I wouldn’t skip seeing you even if I’m completely worn out from lab.. :)) See you at UC!!!! :))