Kpop Music Mondays: G.NA “Black and White”

February 21, 2011

Comments

For this week’s Kpop Music Monday we review G.NA’s “Black & White” and try to figure out why she treats her man like crap. Seriously! Girls of the world take note: please do not treat your boyfriends this way! Uhhh!

I hope we’re not overreacting here. Was anyone else disturbed by this video? I mean, it’s all cutesy sounding, and the video makes them look all cutesy and whatnot, but – for real now – she treats her boyfriend like crap. Why would she storm away from her boyfriend when they’re having a fight, and then smile devilishly? Fights aren’t good. Not at all. Nothing to smile about. The two of us have been married for almost four years now, and we don’t fight. Like, ever. We get into disagreements, sure, and we passionately defend our case, but we don’t storm off and throw hissy fits. That’s not cool. You shouldn’t play games in relationships. They should be fun and honest, rather than a confusingly coded dance ritual that the two of you have to go through in order to reveal your feelings through mixed messages. Garbage!

We’re passionate about this topic here. Really passionate about it, because we’re really passionate about our marriage and passionate about being good at being married. Golden rules: be open and honest, communicate effectively, and DON’T PLAY FREAKING GAMES LIKE THIS! That leads to bad relationships that don’t last. They don’t end with the boyfriend laughing to himself at the cuteness his attention begging selfish girlfriend, as this video will lead you to believe. Not cool!

Ahhhh! That rant had to come off our chests. Seriously. In fact, we even recorded this rant and were about to put it in our video, but the rant was like, two minutes long, and would have ruined the final review. But we can say it here in writing! We’re just worried that young people are going to watch this video and think that their relationship is cute and sweet, when really it’s not healthy at all. Anyhow, supposedly the way G.NA is treating her boyfriend is a common thing, and there’s even a word for it, 밀당, which we explain this week in our Newsletter’s slang of the week (you did sign up for our newsletter, right?).

Good news, though, is that we finally reviewed a non-boy band this year! It took us almost two months, though, after having done so many Big Bang videos. Finally! But we’ll probably go back to business as usual next week when Big Bang’s new album comes out. Come on girl bands! Get your act together! The Kpop scene has been overly dominated by boy bands so far! Where’s SNSD and 2NE1 when you need them?

As always, JB and Annie from [닉쑤] Enjoy Your Happy Life~* are awesome for so diligently translating all of our videos into Korean. Huzzah! Also, if you’re a fan of G.NA’s song (because, really, the song is a lot better than the video), then you can also buy G.NA’s “Black and White” Album here, and it will ship to you anywhere in the world. Huzzah!

Comments

Kpop Music Mondays: G.NA “Black and White”

1. haha I love that Martina is biased with BIGBANG ! XD
    VIP foo-evaah woop woop.. *ehm* excuse me

I can’t “x” out from your page …

2. haha I love that Martina is biased with BIGBANG ! XD
    VIP foo-evaah woop woop.. *ehm* excuse me

I can’t “x” out from your page …

3. Oh, you guys should go easy on her since she is canadian. Born in Canada, went to high school in canada. Has a twin sister who works in toronto.:-)

4. its GINA (her real name ji-na)

5. Simon, your eyes look so tired and red… I hope you're not overworking just to do videos for us!

I loved to see what one of you wrote about marriage. That feels good.
    I wish you a happy married life!

Thank you for your work, I always enjoy watching your videos, on whatever it is. (even how to warm the house)

6. Bigbang – Tonight

7. You guys are awesome!!! Love watching your videos .Informative and Fun….

8. Love how you guys keep it real in your reviews. Especially loved how the way the media portrays relationships was discussed. Thumbs up!!

9. Kahi- Come Back You Bad Person!

10. You should do Super Junior M Too Perfect

11. One guy told me that Korean culture does not have anything interesting and he added that everbody likes Japanese culture but Korean culture. Well…he didn't care Korean culture. I just wanted to interest him in Korea. but that didn't work. In addition that I actually realized Japanese culture is very popular in world-wide. I was very sad about that and started to believe the way one friend of mine thinks is true. This experience shocked me. but, I found you guys and I was very proud of it. I appreciate you guys. I don't know how you guys result in Korea, but I know you guys love Korea very much like Koreans. Thank you so much about everything.
    (I maybe made a lot of mistakes on sentences, cut I'm not so good at English. Anyway I tried, I wish you guys understand what I'm saying.)
    Okay~I look foward to next one. see you~.

I am looking foward next video.

12. 안녕하세요. 저는 한국인 입니다. Hello guys! I am a big fan of you guys, I watched your videos many times on utube. It is very exciting to see how you guys feel and experience Korean culture in Korea. I love you both. you guys do really great things which let people know what korean cuture like.
    Let me tell you something. when I was abroad before, I was kind of embarassed and upset few times when my foreign friends and I talked about our own cultures.

13. HOW THE HECK!?!?! Big Bang won AGAIN?????? I voted for the other chick! YOU DANG FAN GIRLS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHAHHHHHHHA!

LOL YAY~! G.NA this week i cant wait to go rub it in my friends face, of course then she'll go vote for BB next week as way to get back at me ¬ ¬
    Hang in there Simon! Its ok Martina doesn't understand the complex love story that is Twilight XD

As for next week i vote for anything that ISN'T a sausage going by the name or related to Big Bang

14. has to be for g.na's dungeon
    its awesome just having jinwoon there :3

15. Wow.. I think she is good singer.
    From daum ^^

16. You guys should review Kahi's Come Back You Bad Person :) Great song and video~~!

17. I'm really glad to read your post/rant about your views on relationships and how it's not necessary for drama and mind-games to be a part of them. I, personally, have witnessed my mother's multiple marriages destroy themselves because of it.

Mind games, lies and cover-ups, general not being honest or speaking out loud how one feels about this or that all leads to drama and unnecessary stress. I'm not saying one should be a saint or that they can't have reservations about something, but how in the world can your partner fix something that's bothering you if they don't know it's a problem in the first place?

I don't watch tv anymore, really, because it's become garbage. "Reality tv" may have started out as an intention of showing off the every day life of somebody or perhaps teach "normal" people what they should and should not do when faced with a situation, but I honestly believe that the unintended side effects of the audiences, especially teens, now have accepted and even more startling, EMBRACED that life and love should be full of drama and fighting and keeping one's cards close to their chest.

So, I'm happy to hear that you two, at least, have taken a stand on the opposite side of this line. I hope that by living through example with my own spouse, I will show my friends and family that marriage can actually be quite fun and easy with routine "maintenance" of touching base with each other and making sure that we're all good and there are no problems.

To anybody out there who doesn't already get the point I'm trying to make: TALK with your loved one(s). Bravery, communication, compromise, patience and just plain have fun. This is the key to a healthy marriage, I believe.

Thumbs up simon/martina.

• SupaJupa, thank you so much for your awesome, awesome response. We're glad we're not the only ones who feel this way :D

18. voting for G.NA……….
    oh n BIGBANG next week please…………..

19. I would pick G.NA because of Jinwoo. I would like to request Super Junior- M's Perfection.

20. Do JQT – PeeKaBoo! I feel that JQT doesn't get enough attention but it's on par with the other top charters. Plus, one of them has amazing orange hair that works with her white dress in one of the scenes.

• Ah, it says thats Park Min Jung. Wasn't really paying attention to that.

21. Hahahaha, I love Mondays because of you guys. I actually get slightly, slightly depressed on Sundays because I can't just watch it while I don't have school. And you always have the best ways to remember dances XD. Kind of getting Lucifer, only from your convoluted slow-mo taichi XP. I would vote for G.na, being stuck on an island with T-ara's crazy dancing and not being able to swim is sort of scary. At least with G.na, I could probably climb down if desperate enough =.=;;
    I would like to request either Super Junior M's "Perfection" or Park Jungmin's "Not alone" for next time! Pretty, pretty Please! With a Spudgy on top!

• Shalyn, thank you for the awesome comment. Hopefully we'll be able to get another show up, someday soon, that will make Sundays suck a little less :D

22. I agree with the posters above who are voting for Super Junior M's "Perfection." Guys, there's a bonus Canadian in that vid! (Cute-as-a-button Toronto homeboy Henry) Plus, there's Kyuhyun in guyliner! And a semi-failtastic 10-second rap in English! This is catnip for you, guys. Please do it. Prreaze.

23. i like the part when Simon evil laugh and then suddenly he says"i'm scared" hehehehehe love that part …..anyway if nxt week is gonna be Big Bang, i'm gonna kill myself cause it's to many Big Bang already!!!! >.< i will pick Super Junior M – Perfection…… and about the votes is gonna be T-ara YAYAYA….more better cause is an island… LOL! hahahahaha make sure is SUPER JUNIOR M!!!! >.<

24. please… please…. please make a video about super junior M-perfection :D:D:D (or i'll haunt you for the rest of your lives >:):D )

25. :))))) Even though I haven`t see the video for G.Na watching yours was enough for me. :))
    Thank you for your videos! Always a pleasure to watch them. :))
    I liked your sepia action! :)) hahah veryy unique!

Can`t wait for the next week!!! BB!!! <3

26. Tifferz, that is so awesome. Thank you for that :D

27. Eve

G.NA. Gotta go with electricity. And not being tied to a pole. Big Bang next week!!!

28. Where does Simon get his shirts? They are hilarious!

29. amy