Kpop Music Monday – Infinite “Last Romeo”

June 3, 2014

Comments

Hi guise! And welcome to the new comment system on Eatyourkimchi! We hope you like it. Let us know what you think in our new comments below! But first, we’re gonna talk a bit more about Infinite’s “Last Romeo” for this week’s Kpop Music Monday! Check out the video if you haven’t seen it yet:

Ok, so we adapted a symbolic approach to watching this video, and we saw it all as representing trapped gas. Because that’s how we roll. Because, otherwise, we would have been too frustrated with this video. The whole reaching through the bookshelves scene made us scream in frustration. WALK AROUND THE DAMN SHELF! The girl does it a few seconds later! Don’t just fall to the ground and cry like a…nevermind. Or push the shelf over! Hot damn what’s wrong with you boi?!

And then, at the end of the video, when he’s in the room and the earthquake hits, instead of him hiding under a desk, he gets a really bad headache and starts yelling. Books explode into the room. He still yells. Books explode very slowly. He yells very slowly. Yells until the world dissolves and he’s just goddamned floating on a steam cloud and flailing around. He dies, still floating on the cloud. What the hell is this crap? Must be farts. That’s the only answer I’ll accept.

Sad thing we cut out from this video because of a fake fire: we had something along the lines of “Why did Infinite get such a low budget movie? Weren’t they just bought out by SM? Oh…wait.” Ha! No KMM is complete without a jab at SM :D

And another thing: please, more lip rubbing. The 10 seconds spent on rubbing your lip while singing wasn’t ridiculous enough. Your hand should be pulling on your lip for the entirety of the video. More lip rub = more successful video. Ok snark aside, whoa, that was pretty ridiculous.

For this week’s poll, let us know what blue moody clocky video you preferred:

[gravityform id=”37″ name=”KMM 19 – Clock Tower” title=”false” description=”false” ajax=”true”]

So yeah! That’s it for this week’s Kpop Music Monday. We’ve got a few bloopers, but not as many as we would normally, because we couldn’t film the skits we had planned. Check em out if you’d like to see us be a bit more silly:

And, lastly, don’t forget to click on this button below to subscribe for more Music Mondays. We’re actually filming a special Kpop Music Monday tomorrow with some people. It’ll be very different than what we’re used to. Hope you like it! But you can only see it by clicking right here:

Comments

Kpop Music Monday – Infinite “Last Romeo”

1. Hey guise just a few comments about the comments…. Haha well first of all I don’t know if this is just happening with me or if it’s with everyone, but there is no visible “reply” button. It was out of sheer luck that my cursor hovered over the bottom right corner and the little text box popped up. So maybe you could put in a visible one to avoid confusion? And also not a comment but a question. Will we still be notified when someone reply’s to our comments? Other than that looks good :) And I am so happy to be able to comment again after like a freaking month of EYK comment withdrawal!!

• Heya!

Yeah, it’s a hover option for the reply button. We’ll try making it stand out a bit more. And I’ve just enabled the notification setting. It’s not that pretty yet, but we’ll add more style to it soon :D

2. Pssst. .. instead of a like and dislike vote on the comments, how about an agree/disagree vote? :o seems better than likes and dislikes. Just throwing it out there, now that I can FINALLY comment again!

3. Love the new comment system. Very easy on the eye!!

4. No I will honestly cry if they don’t do VIXX… haha jk… but seriously o_O

5. Not being able to walk around objects is a serious problem and one I had hoped you would approach sensitively. Remember Baz Luhrmunn’s Romeo and Juliet? Well they had difficulty too because someone put a fish tank in the middle of the room. I expected more from you, Simon and Martina.

I loved this Music Monday and I don’t even usually find fart jokes funny! Happy to hear it was only a false alarm with the fire. Oh, and the new commenting system looks really good. =)

6. HAHAHAH!! What a great way to start my day by listening to some fart jokes! :D

7. What I like the most of Infinite is that “anime opening sound” they got. Couldn’t stop laughing at the explosions xD

8. Haha, staying classy with the fart jokes ;) thanks for the brilliant interpretation :)

9. I really loved the song, but indeed the video was kind of lame. And I must say I expected more from the dance, but it still looked pretty cool. The snapping move is awesome!
    But oh boy, I wish you guys talked about VIXX! Did you like the song? I’m curious..

10. This is my first time commenting ever :D

11. This is my first time commenting ever!
    I actually prefer when you guys are analyzing the mv for the majority of the Music Monday rather than the skits about the mv taking up most of the video. But all of the videos are enjoyable anyways so no worries :) Love the ending about the blue hair, there will always be some kpop person with blue hair it seems.

12. finally! my password come to my mail

13. even their company under SM’s subsidizer, SM hv nothing to do on wat they produce… but its better rather than SM boring in box with 1 shot camera vid rite?

14. Kae

First of all, super loving being able to comment! Yay!~
    Loved the review, I agree there was lack of plot. Well, that was my first opinion, now I finally know what the heck was going on! It was all caused by farts, makes more since now.
    On a more serious note, I also liked the song a lot and I found the dancing to be rather interesting. I love Infinite’s signature style and I hope that is something that doesn’t change.

15. It’s better if you watch the video on mute, after you hear their explanation.

16. I like to pretend Man in Love never happened as well.

• Aww~ why does everyone hate that song? I think its great!

go INFINITE!! 화이팅!

• I like to pretend that “Inconvienent Truth” was their lead single instead, tbh.

17. HAHAHA! This was the funniest Kpop music Monday ever! I will never look at this video the same way again….

18. Guys, I don’t know if you’ve watched Infinite on Weekly Idol but one time Woohyun himself said something that made your Big Fart Theory more believable than it should be… Just watch this: http://youtu.be/CVO5GONqygo?t=4m55s

As for the comment section… Well I guess it’s too early for fair judgements but I think I liked Disqus more. But at least this one is working properly.

19. I was surprise about this mv!

20. Greetings EYK, i’m a big fan of the show. Is there any chance you can get Diana (“Let You Do Me” ft. Lil Cham) on the show for an interview, just like you did with Neon Bunny. I really like to know more about her, maybe she is even willing to reveal her face just once.

21. I liked everything about the vid and I do really understand your point of view. Although I wanted to make sense of the plot line, there was just no way!! I would really appreciate it if you leave SM out of this though._. Other than that, great job^^

22. I HAVE A LOT TO SAY ABOUT THIS MV CAN I PLEASE

Okay, so I’ve been waiting for this comeback for two months – not to mention they haven’t released anything in almost a year. So, as usual when I have high expectations, I thought I would be disappointed with this song.
    Well I’m definitely not. This has all the epicness that made me fall in love with them around the Paradise era. Although it is not as good as The Chaser – but I’ve come to realise I’ll never love a song as much as that one – I am really happy with Last Romeo. The melodies are intricate and beautiful. The construction is flawless, it flows. The instrumental is a bit overpowering, it could benefit from being stripped down a bit – random idea, how awesome would an acoustic/ballad version be! – but it sounds nice and passionate, so it works. The lyrics are romantic without being too cheesy – although riiiight on the limit – and some come straight out of actual Romeo & Juliet! The Shakespeare play! Awesome!
    I have to appreciate the fact that all of them are singing, and that Sungjong and Sungyeol improved a lot.
    The video’s not very good. I know they had to reshoot everything because the original video had water. So this plot is indeed silly and it actually makes more sense with farts. But I don’t really care, since I usually just focus on the music and the dancing. I never paid much attention to Infinit’s videos anyway. I did like the whole romantic aesthetic with clocks, books, wooden sets, lace, candles and the like. I wish Hoya didn’t have blue hair though. It kind of threw off the balance.
    I was a bit disappointed with the dancing at first. There is only one move that really caught my eye – that sassy hip-swaying finger-snapping shoulder-lifting thing in the chorus. I love it. The rest of the choreography is a bit forgettable, but I did notice some interesting details when watching the live performances. There is a part where they grab each other’s collars, and an interesting one where they form two lines and move in front of each other and then back. Does anyone know what I’m talking about? I think it’s one of Hoya’s lines. The configurations of the group dance change nicely and because they are Infinite, they pull it off, so I learned to like this dance.

Speaking of live performances, wow are they ever slaying it!
    Special mention for the all black outfits. You know, the one with leather and ripped pants. Woohyun-biased me is extremely satisfied with these wardrobe choices.

So yeah, overall, I liked it! And the album is great.

23. It seems I can’t thumbs-up comments on this new system? That’s a bit unfortunate, but as long as I’m able to comment again, I’m not complaining ^^

24. I get a huge 80’s feel from this video too. Not feeling the clothing but hey, why not have fun with lace blazers! On another note I like your hair Martina, I think I will watch your how to video from a while back and fix Esah’s hair that way for her first dance show. :) (Esah is my little girl, 7)

25. This MV actually makes sense now! Thank you for that – a good fart joke every now and then makes me happy! ;)
    I really really like the song, but I was so confused and underwhelmed by the mv that I’ve tried to avoid it. Besides that, everything about this comeback has just been so very much Infinite. Infinite-y song and Infinite-y choreo. I like it! :D

Speaking of an Infinite-y sound by the way, I totally agree with you that there are (very) few groups with a distinct sound to their music. Don’t forget about Kara though! They also have a very typical sound, quite a lot of synth and a bit old time-y. Is it maybe a Sweetune thing?

26. Martina, why did you remind me. I am still trying to forget that 2ne1 gotta be you exists.

27. Lol simon said suck a fart out of my ass

28. Well, I am excited for this change in the website, can I use my picture here as well, you know the Simon and Martina one???

29. Although disqus has glitches I wish there was a way to edit, like/dislike, sort, and review previous comments. It seems like it’s going to be hard to keep up a conversation with everyone. I like the new comment section, but I miss the old tools that were once available…you know what I mean?

• Yeah I know, there’s no reply notifications and you can’t follow people.

• Aww sorry! We’re going to be adding more functionality to the comments as soon as possible. Basically, instead of using Disqus we’re going to build that functionality from scratch. It’ll take a while though. I hope you’ll be with us still till we get here :)

• I don’t even know where my comment is to look back at it, endless scrolling wheeeee! Ok I’m done complaining lol. I have no clue what functionality wordpress has so I don’t know what can or can’t be implemented. But if this is it, then it is very limited and isn’t meant for establishing the kind of community atmosphere that I believe S&M are looking for.

• I know exactly what you mean… And I would have told you with a like button if that were still possible :D

30. Took a while for the password to get emailed to me but YAY! i can finally make comments on the site again.

31. I really really really like this song!!!!! It has that epic awesome me against the world kinda feeling to it!!!! And the lyrics are more smooth, romantic and compromising, which I think is a nice change from their usual stalkerish view on love, not that this is bad just look at paradise and THE CHASER. Now for their music video I agree that it was a bit meh…. but I think the original story had L as the protagonist and it included scenes with water, so they had to change it because of those circumstances that is why I think it was not that good. But guys think of it that way if they had not changed it then you couldn’t do the fart jokes, which had me laughing until I fell from my chair. On another note I think we have another case of a weird hat after EXO’s epicly silly hats on overdose. I do not know about you but I am starting to worry that this is going to be epidemic.DISCLAIMER:HUGE FANGIRLING ALERT. Anyway, L oppa is gorgeous no matter what he wears and everyone is so dreamy. I would have completely destroyed that damn bookcase/shelves/whatever it was if it was standing between me and Namu oppa. And you are totally right the amount of lip rubbing just was not enough(But there is a slight chance you meant it ironically). Fangirling is over. Also I think that and probably I may be one of the only ones(Yes sir I”m one of a kind…) that likes U-Kiss song and video. Like as in appreciate the smooth and sexy rhythm and the video being sexy and fitting the meaning of the song, not in any weird perverted fangirly way, nope definetely not. If you review it then we should count how many times can you say “You so naaaasty” in a video probably over 197. But seriously apart from that it is a really good song. Coming back on infinite there is only one thing left to ask how much more awesome can they get?????? SERIOUSLY NOW!!!!! Sorry for the long post I am just excited I can comment again. Congrats on the new commenting system.

32. I was laughing the whole time! You guys finally explain what was actually going on during the music video! However, having said that, the BEST part of the whole KMM was Spudgy’s monologue to Hoya. Great job!

33. You guise didn’t love Infinite’s “Paradise” either, I loved that song lol I didn’t like this song very much though >_<

34. Yay!!! I can finally comment again! ^^ Anyways the Spudgy skit at the end hi-lar-i-ous as well as Simon reacalling “man in love” lol

35. Farting all the time – that’s the story of my life. My boyfriend is still wondering, how did I manage to not to fart as we started dating :D

36. man…never underestimate simon and martina’s ability to make an entire mv plot based on a fart.

37. Didn’t like the song as much as I expected to :| And the mv was ridiculous xD

38. Ha! I don’t watch MVs that often actually (they are blocked in Germany and I usually know the songs from the radio), but when I saw that there was a new KMM and didn’t know the song yet, I decided to check it out and trying to understand the plot. I was slightly worried that I couldn’t make sense of it (..why didn’t they walk around? What’s even going on? Why are they in a library/storeroom?), so I was relieved when you didn’t do better. :D

Also, what I would like to see: A KMM Foreign Edition, with awesome Chinese/Japanese songs of kpop bands, that deserve attention. I know, you generally won’t talk about “foreign” versions and I totally understand, but I recently listened to some of U-KISS’s Japanese songs and they are AMAZING. Well, their Korean songs are amazing as well, but, you know, I’m glad that I discovered those!

39. Really great music monday! Got a good chuckle out of the Man in Love moment. I always admire the fact you tell people how you really feel about MVs, but nicely of course.

40. Pitting Infinite against Ukiss? Such a hard decision, those are two of my top top top favorite groups ever. I loved both songs and videos too…
    But speaking of Ukiss, you should review their new video just for the fact that Eli says ‘nasty’ at least twice haha.