Kpop Music Monday – Infinite “Last Romeo”

June 3, 2014

Comments

Hi guise! And welcome to the new comment system on Eatyourkimchi! We hope you like it. Let us know what you think in our new comments below! But first, we’re gonna talk a bit more about Infinite’s “Last Romeo” for this week’s Kpop Music Monday! Check out the video if you haven’t seen it yet:

Ok, so we adapted a symbolic approach to watching this video, and we saw it all as representing trapped gas. Because that’s how we roll. Because, otherwise, we would have been too frustrated with this video. The whole reaching through the bookshelves scene made us scream in frustration. WALK AROUND THE DAMN SHELF! The girl does it a few seconds later! Don’t just fall to the ground and cry like a…nevermind. Or push the shelf over! Hot damn what’s wrong with you boi?!

And then, at the end of the video, when he’s in the room and the earthquake hits, instead of him hiding under a desk, he gets a really bad headache and starts yelling. Books explode into the room. He still yells. Books explode very slowly. He yells very slowly. Yells until the world dissolves and he’s just goddamned floating on a steam cloud and flailing around. He dies, still floating on the cloud. What the hell is this crap? Must be farts. That’s the only answer I’ll accept.

Sad thing we cut out from this video because of a fake fire: we had something along the lines of “Why did Infinite get such a low budget movie? Weren’t they just bought out by SM? Oh…wait.” Ha! No KMM is complete without a jab at SM :D

And another thing: please, more lip rubbing. The 10 seconds spent on rubbing your lip while singing wasn’t ridiculous enough. Your hand should be pulling on your lip for the entirety of the video. More lip rub = more successful video. Ok snark aside, whoa, that was pretty ridiculous.

For this week’s poll, let us know what blue moody clocky video you preferred:

[gravityform id=”37″ name=”KMM 19 – Clock Tower” title=”false” description=”false” ajax=”true”]

So yeah! That’s it for this week’s Kpop Music Monday. We’ve got a few bloopers, but not as many as we would normally, because we couldn’t film the skits we had planned. Check em out if you’d like to see us be a bit more silly:

And, lastly, don’t forget to click on this button below to subscribe for more Music Mondays. We’re actually filming a special Kpop Music Monday tomorrow with some people. It’ll be very different than what we’re used to. Hope you like it! But you can only see it by clicking right here:

Comments

Kpop Music Monday – Infinite “Last Romeo”

1. Do you guise ever create playlists in ITunes that people can purchase and download? I find that I want to download more KPop but maybe not whole albums and I can sometimes be overwhelmed by selection. It would be really cool to have themed playlists. Thanks!

2. When Martina kept repeating Man in Love, I kept saying “that song is awesome!” afterwards xD I love every song that Infinite has released, including Man in Love. I’ve even had the privilege to see them live when they came to London! Omg that was the best night ever, ok I’m digressing. This song I don’t find as catchy as their other ones but it has grown on me. And now I will burst out laughing whenever I watch the mv cos of the fart joke, such a brilliant explanation :’) This mm is hilarious. I liked seeing the old skool footage too. I forgot Spudgy had a green tail once! :D

3. i actually barely even heard the song because the video was too distracting…in a very bad way. i only watched the whole thing because i wanted to understand this weeks music monday. but guise, you made my sacrifice worth it…because this music monday was halarious!

4. Hello Simon and Martina and the EYK Crew. I love you all.
    And I totally agree with you guys. I can like a Kpop group and still not like their song/songs that they “promote”.(This is something I always wanted to say but couldn’t. You know, co-fans can be a tiny bit scary sometimes) I might like another song on the album and think that it should have been the the title track.(Who is ready to take my opinion?…..?) In my case, I love both Super junior and Vixx and I didn’t like their songs that much.(please dont kill me people, I love all the members). I didn’t like Swing and I didn’t like Eternity that much either. But I still have them on my MP3 Player and listen to them, and sometimes dance like crazy, when no one is looking. Same goes with Infinite this time. I didn’t like the song and the MV did confuse me. But I still love Infinite classic songs like BTD, Chaser etc.
    P.S.- Thumbs up for fart jokes.

• i agree completely. i mean, i love music. i love k pop. but to be honest, there is not a single group, band, or solo artist out there that i like every single one of their songs. concidering the large number of songs that any give group churns out during their carriers, the chances of them going through a faze, or even making ONE SONG that you don’t like are pretty darn high. and there is nothing wrong with that!

• I totally agree with you as well. The chances are darn high. And this has to happen, because all the Kpop groups are trying hard and competing in the industry with other groups, so to be more appealing to a larger audience, they are always trying to go for different styles whether its singing or a concept. So I might have liked that one song ,but you might not. And when the group comes out the next time with another concept, I can completely hate it but you might totally love it. So that’s perfectly alright. That’s what has to be understood. Because if I like a group I would support them even if I don’t like the song. I didn’t like this one, someone one(many) out there does like it and I might just as well love/hate the next one. So as you said there is nothing wrong with that.

5. This music video was one of the funniest and weird mvs I’ve ever seen. I mean Man in Love had a plot to it that can be followed but this one… oh yea… this one…
    I never knew I could laugh so hard at fart jokes lol!!

6. I don’t know about you guys, but fart jokes will never not be funny. KEEP THEM COMING I SAY!

7. i just wanna gv some opinion for KMM… abt the top 3 on the chart… y not u review watever song/mv in the top 3…n u do 2 other review through blogpost for that week KMM? i think the chart mayb changing each week…n ppl will hv opportunity to read/watch ur review in more song… that make sense since u put aside kpop chart update…n sometimes u rarely doing KMM lately…

8. The Last Romeo is good, but it really kind of disappointed me at first that Infinite was coming back with it because its not really the best song they ever performed. However, I listened through the whole album, and there are many AMAZING tracks other than The Last Romeo, especially the last one, “소나기” (Shower…?) Either way, Infinite has come back with another set of great songs!

9. Can you do a summer kpop playlist for your next KMM?

10. I really liked the song. It was fun and dance-able. But the music video had me confused on so many different levels but i still enjoyed it. Its infinite i learned to go with the flow.

11. Oh! Simon and Martina I have a idea for your commenting system. There should be a editing option to the comment thingie maker I-dunno-what-its called in case you make a embarrassing typo.

12. When I see kpop video’s that one might consider “artsy” I’m never one to understand its symbolism. It has to be more than obviose for me to understand. When Simon and Martina says “Last Romeo” music video doesn’t have to make sense that confuses me. It has to have a meaning. I mean people don’t just get together and say “Well lets have an exploding library. Yeah. That sounds good.” Or maybe they do and I’m just ignorant about it??

13. I think before people jump to conclusions about the MV, it’s important to establish that the version that you all saw was not the original version. Just like with Destiny, the MV for Last Romeo had to be changed at the last minute due to there being water scenes that might have been sensitive given the Sewol Ferry accident. Infinite were supposed to have made their comeback in April, which is the same month that the accident occurred, and in fact they had already started the first stage of promotions (banners, teasers, etc). Woollim waited a month or so to determine if they would have to make adjustments to the video, and in they end they did so, swapping out L for Woohyun as the lead, and taking out the underwater scenes and replacing them with the wind scenes, presumably. They spent two days re-filming the video towards the beginning of May, and as they had spent a lot of money on the first version, you can imagine that they had to make some cut-backs the second time around.

Secondly, SM does not own Woollim, Woollim’s side continues to own 83.4% of the company, with SM only owning just 16.6%, and the fact that they are merged does not take away from the fact that Woollim is still 100 percent in charge of all creative aspects, including music video filming. SM is only in charge of overseas promotion, as well as are able to count Woollim’s income as part of their own. This is a mutual partnership, despite what many people may think. Again, SM did not buy out Woollim, they just now have partial (very partial) ownership via SM C&C, which is an SM subsidiary.

• Oh wow, thanks for all of this info on the Wollim/SM merge. As a true fan of Infinite’s music, I was afraid that SM might overtake the music production on Infinite’s new releases. It’s really good that they let Woolim still in charge of the creativity aspects. The last thing I would wanna hear is an Infinite’s title-track produced by the super-mega-famous American duo who did the last Katy Perry’s album. Not that this is a bad thing, but one of the things I enjoy the most about Infinite’s is the unique sound- as Simon and Martina Always points out – full of synths, loud drums and high-pitched vocals.

• i don’t know where you got that figure from, but every (halfway) reliable source says SM C&C merged together (like completely) with Woolim, which strongly indicates they aquired 100% of the company’s shares. maybe they still have the same staff and employees and they’re just working for another boss, or maybe the complete woolim team got ditched, i don’t know, but the first 2 pages of google usually seem reliable enough to me.
      also, as you already mentioned, the sewol tragedy happend in april and it does not make sense to me to wait one month to just consider a re-shoot, that would be too much time lost. (i know everyone was extremely bummed out, but that doesn’t stop CEO’s from working their employees like dogs, companies care more about profit than feelings and anyone who tells you otherwise HAS NO FUCKING CLUE)
      There were six weeks between the incident and the release of the video and I think that’s enough time to plan, shoot and edit a video by an professional crew (just look at lady gaga’s applause video, 1 week of planning, 3 days of shooting, one week of post-production with CGI effects and hand-colored scenes and it is one hell of a music video) financial troubles seem ridiculously unlikely to me. (well it’s SM Entertainment, what are another $100,000 when you had a yearly revenue of more than $150,000,000 in 2012)

In my opinion, that’s not an excuse for the horrendous plot, the awful tower backdrop, or arranging the scenes in such way that allows simon and martina to include a fart joke (that almost made me poop my pants) :D

• You are uninformed on almost everything. Lee Jung Yeop is still the Woollim CEO, and he is still the biggest shareholder of the company. I actually looked at the company merging details that were released to the public and investors last year, and it clearly details what percentage is owned by Woollim and what part by SM C&C. These are official documents that are in Korean and can be accessed by anybody, but of course only people who can read Korean and know where to find them know about it. I happened to have a friend who translated it to me, and in case you have any doubts you can look it up yourself.
        The download link to the document is here:

On page four, table 2 the details on previous and now current ownership are detailed. Proprietor and CEO Lee Jung Yeop owned 87.6% of the company prior to the merge, while Director Lee Ji Young owned 12.4%. After the merge, CEO Lee Jung Yeop relinquished 16.6% ownership to SM C&C, keeping 71% for himself, while Director Lee Ji Young retained their 12.4%.

As for the video, Woollim was releasing articles all throughout April after the Sewol Ferry accident explaining that they were going to keep waiting to see if it would be okay to release the video as is. This is a FACT. They waited a month because there was nothing else they could do. If they released the MV as it was then they could have faced backlash for being insensitive. In fact the members revealed in a radio program yesterday that it was actually them who asked the CEO to re-shoot the video, and actually as it turns out they spent 4 days re-shooting, I’d originally thought they had only spent 2 days. In case you didn’t realize the entire country was in a state of mourning and the entertainment music industry had basically put all their promotions to a halt. They weren’t thinking of re-shooting in the first place, but they later decided to do so upon the request of the members. You make it sound as if I’m pulling all of this out of my backside, but I have evidence for everything I’ve said. You can find Korean articles on all of this as well. Woollim themselves tweeted them.

You can criticize the plot all you want, I don’t care, Infinite’s MVs have never had a clear plot anyway, but I need you all to understand that they had reasons for putting out what they did, and that no, SM is not paying for Infinite’s music videos so budgeting is in fact really crucial to Woollim.

• Well documents don’t lie. It just seems odd to me that the figure wasn’t publicized at all and no press outlet ever made the effort to clarify that SM is just a “co-owner” of woolim. but I guess when SM is involved there is always something fishy around.

personally, I do not really believe in CEOs grieving during the Sewol incident. I just don’t. especially in a culture where everything is so focused high performance and getting things done as quickly as possible. variety and music programs may have stopped, comebacks as well, but the work behind the scenes, beyond the oh so glamorous idol live and its machinery will probably never stop. (except when war breaks out. and even then companies would exploit female singers to sing for soldiers in army bases all the time. why not show patriotism and earn money at the same time?) a lot of people don’t realize how inhumane the entertainment industry is. why should south korea be an exception? i realize that the nation was in a state of mourning, but i just don’t believe ANY statements from ANY profit oriented organisation concerning modesty and morals. there are no morals in the economy, there’s only money.

speaking of money, given the 2013 revenue of $10,500,000, they maybe could have spent a buck or two to get a better backdrop. i’m just saying. they had reasons to push it back, maybe their deadline was too early as well, the video itself has dissatisfying for me. i don’t it would have hurt to spend an additional week or two on additional planning, shooting and producing.

i realize that I might have come off as a bit brat-ish, i’m sorry for that though :D

14. I love this KMM, this is one of my favorites this year
    I hope you guys do best kpop songs of half 2014 like last year

15. The song was great, but yeah the video…not so great, but I think that the next time will be better.

16. Let me the first to say….very happy as a die heart INSPIRIT for INFINITE that you did the Music Monday Review on them. Now hopping that VIXX get’s reviewed.

Any ways, I mentioned this on YouTube as well that INFINITE did explain what the story line is for the song. How a man is will risk everything in order to be with, protect, and even die for the woman he loves even if the whole world is against him and tries to keep them apart. I don’t mind criticizing INFINITE because it’s just like you guys said that the story line was not well shown in the video and wasn’t edited the best. However, if you guys don’t mind me breaking down the video on how I first saw and understood…The first part it made me think that the it was suppose to represent how Woohyun and the girl are in love with each other but the gas/smoke could represent the “world” that’s against the couple’s love and is trying to keep them apart. Now as for the rest of the video as Woohyun keep trying to get to the girl but misses her by a few seconds, it could be that it was meant to say, “look even though we’re some what far apart from one another, I love you and will do what it takes to be with you.” Then when the room starts to shake and the gas cloud comes back, could be the “world” coming to decided for Woohyun, “fine you die since we already warned you to stay away from each other.” But of course, after thinking that I just made a funny theory that maybe EXO’s Sehun wanted the girl for himself and that’s why Woohyun’s fart followed and eventually killed him. Remember, Sehun controls wind.

Now the second thing I want to talk about is that I loved the entire choreography for the song, loved it very much especially that Woollim placed Sunggyu back in the center like he’s suppose to be. However, I blame SM (the company not you guys) for the backgrounds they used in the entire music video. There was absolutely no point in the specific one with clock tower and cheap blue sky. Plus with that room full of the bookcases, if the girl was still there when that giant smoke(fart) cloud shoot Woohyun in the air, then those book cases fell all over thus killing his Juliet. Also, Myungsoo, aka L, is the only member wearing a hat…WHAT THE HELL?!! None of the other members are wearing hats because they don’t need them, it’s really annoying actually every time I see the video.

17. I’m loving the live band feel of the song, it really makes it stand out from other kpop songs at the moment and thank goodness there’s no random dubstep breakdown thrown in. :)

18. Hahaha! Oh fart jokes, you never fail to make me laugh. I still remember Face Arousal Raunchy Thrusting and I still chuckle whenever I think about it.

19. For the first time I think you said something that’s super wrong…. CNBlue songs have nothing in common with FTIsland songs… CNBlue song are pretty much with the same feel and sound, which is completely different from FTIsland songs that are more diverse in my opinion…
    Infinite ahhh I love them but I haven’t liked a song of theirs in a looong time…

20. DrWho, Silence in the Library edition ? Vashta Nerada Motes?

21. ☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeee I can comment I can comment lookie at meeeeee guuuuyysss I CAN COMMMMEEEENNNTTT!!! xD

Great KMM!! Aaah this is the kind of KMM that I love; where you explain Kpop MVs to me!! Like UKiss’ 0330, B1A4’s umm that MV where the girl killed them with bread, and yeah! That kinda thing!!
    Kpop MVs are soooo damn confusing, I just cannot show how much I appreciate when you make it so clear like this!! The poor farting Romeo!! I feel his pain. I really do. >_<

My advice is to turn on the kitchen fan (that sucks out steam), fart near there first, and then go see Juliet once his bowels are gas-less. That, and stop eating all those beans?

22. I know you guys said that you weren’t able to do any of the skits coz of the faulty fire alarm but this KMM was not lacking in the slightest :D awesome job and keep up the good work!

23. *gets credit card at the ready for launch of the “Believe in My Dreams” Meemers shirt*

24. The farting jokes got me good.
    And now I am scared I wanna dye my hair blue like Spudgy but it seems I will have to just settle for a wig.

25. Omg you guys should add Baek Ji Young ” Still Love ” here the mv is sooo beautiful! …….Just wanting to let you guys know heheh…….(awkward silence)O.o

26. I couldn’t agree with you more.
    Like you said the sound is very Infinite, there is no way to confuse it with another kpop song.
    I think for the video at the beginning they may had a good idea but then! well…who knows, not enoguh budget and probably who ever did this video ended up being lazy. The intro is lame and has no sense and well at the beginning I liked when I saw the bookshelves but it had no sense…I though maybe they leave messages inside the books and that how they communicate or something like that, but they killed my illusions! and just like you when they were trying to reach each other, I was mentally saying walk around the bookshelf!! So I definitely agree with you guys on what you think about the video.
    Now what I loved the most and was completely epic, is the fart joke! At first I was eating when started to watch the video and guess what? I had to stop eating and pausing the video, because trying to breath while I was still laughing wasn’t working. So had to replay the video, and guess what? I laughed so hard that my tummy hurt and this time I had no problem ;)
    Anyhow great Music Monday! it made my day, after a long day of class. I really hope you can do a VIXX one because I can’t wait to hear what you come up with! I just love you music reviews and in somehow how you ruin the impression of the song (in a good way) (eg. EXO’s What is Love, I always start laughing when I hear it,because there is no way I can forget the I lost my pants…and no one understands me why I laugh!) So I must ask you, just keep ruining the songs with your amazing and epic music reviews!

27. Really liking the comments section, looks so much nicer! With the old one I could never get it to work on chrome and had to resort to using firefox to see the comments :( So I’m really happy it’s all working properly!! Also I just got back from watch X-men so I can finally watch the review Simon made LOL

28. In regards to the new comment sections, while very nice and I like it, the old one (with all it’s problems) put the most liked comments at the top which I enjoyed. Now I think it’s just in time post order? Meh, no biggy~~~

Anyhoo! Great music monday (love the hair Martina~) and this is actually the first time I heard the song; I’m so behind on my kpop. But I enjoyed it! I’m not a huge infinite fan, I’m a bigger hip hop/rock fan than this cheezy 80s style music but it’s good. I’ve really liked Infinite since “Nothing’s Over”
    but that lip rubbing was a bit excessive.

Also, I noticed while watching it.. .. it wasn’t actually a blue screen. It looks like that was a real set that they built lol.

29. I’m not sure if I’m the only person having this issue, but the new comment system seems to have messed up the k-pop charts. When I click on a video to comment on it, the “leave a reply” box is covering the loading bar and options in the lower right corner of the video. It also appears that the video skips down below where it should be on both it’s own page and in the main list. I can’t see or control any videos on the main list of the k-pop chart. Usually it cascades and enlarges the list to view but now it doesn’t. I’m sure you guys will figure it out eventually. Hopefully you’ve already been alerted to this issue. I’m using Internet Explorer by the way in case it’s reliant on a person’s browser. One final thing I noticed while typing this post is that the “Post Comment” button overlaps the text box in the lower right corner and blocks you from seeing what you are typing while your cursor is in that spot. Overall I like the look of the new system but it’s got a long way to go to get all of the bugs out.

30. I actually like, this new commenting system! It seems to match the page better than the disqus platform. Design wise leaps and bounds, Chutes and Ladders better! Hmm… Though I wonder, will it also update you via email when someone replies to your comment?

• Ok! I just added the subscription option. It’s not as styled as the other options, but it’s there! I’ll work on making it pretty ASAP :D

• Am I too selfish to ask for a like button next? I feel the need to agree to some comments but replying “I agree” or “I like your comment” will sound probably weird to me after a while. BTW I like this commenting system.

• No, not too selfish at all :D We’re looking into how we can give people the option to sort comment displays, as well as finding a way to rank comments and use that info for sorting, too! Hopefully we’ll find a way soon :D

• I agree

I like yer comment

• Oops, I pressed enter before I could fix the comment. I would feel a bit awkward if you replied to me but please do anyway.
          *will sound weird to me after a while*

31. I seriously LOVED the song. Something about Infinite’s music is just so bad 80s that it’s amazing. Not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good, ya know?

• Also, love the new commenting system. I don’t know about everyone else, but for me I can only see the reply button on Internet Explorer, not on Chrome. And I saw someone talking about voting comments up/down, but I don’t see that function anywhere? Just thought I’d provide some (hopefully) useful feedback. :)

• Thank you for the feedback :D We’re working on implementing new features as fast as we can. We just needed to get something in place of Disqus immediately, since it was blocking so many users.

• Thanks for the reply! This must be a little bit of a crazy time for you guys haha. (Btw I also love how the comments look. So pretty! Keep up the good work! ^^)

32. wow, you ARE using the clapper and sorry that i sent you a black one instead because i couldnt find a white clapper. i noticed that its almost impossible to read the words if you write on the clapper. but hey its the digital age, most people dont write on the clappers anymore, they just use it to clap. MUAHAHAHA.

and 1 suggestion, you should change the quote on meemer’s tshirt to “Meelieve in my dreams.” that is all :P

• Ha! Great suggestion. And, yes, we’re just using the clapper to clap. It makes a lot cleaner clap than our hands, and it makes us feel professional, so we’re using it :D

33. ‘Believe in my dreams’… ooh, yes Meemers Oppa, I will. I most definitely will. Because those dreams are of me and you, staring longingly into each others eyes over a bowl of tuna, wearing couples collars with our initials engraved on the tags, going for crazy sprints around the house at 3am to the delight of our humans, and me watching you as you flex your muscles against the scratching post, stretching higher and higher…

Believe? Indeed.

34. OMG! How many fart jokes could that video still unleash ! Well it was awesome..Spudgies shakespeare moment eas hillarious and trying not to go through the toilet paper wall …Spudgy you are a smart dog! Simon’s meltdown moment also was funny

35. Totally not a coincidence that I let out 2 huge rotten eggers just as the KMM was ending.

36. I almost peed myself watching this week. Omg fart jokes are too funny, and I’m a grown woman (probably just easily amused). Kinda wish we could have seen your skits (they’re always hilarious) but I guess the flashback to old eyk will have to suffice. I’d rather have you guys safe and it be a false alarm than a real fire and you thought it was a fluke.

PS: LOVE the new comment system! Imma go find me a display pic~

37. YAY!!! New comment system!!

38. My problem with this MV is that i didnt feel like the chorus was “chorusy” enough. Ifind myself rememebring the first 30secs of the song more than the chorus (i havent listened to this song much mindyou). I really wanted a “sing-a-long” feel, like with The Chaser, but alas, it cant be so :’) the mv wasnt anything new, but i loved the exploding books scene ^^

39. “And thus with a fart, I…die!” Love it! Hey! What a spiffy new looking comment section! Cool beans!

40. Oh god, I had to bite my tongue to keep myself from laughing out loud (it’s pretty late here). The farts THE FARTS, somehow, that farty plot makes 1000% sense.

was that an Assassin’s Creed reference at the end? I haven’t played that game in a looong time so I’m not really sure… *flashback to MBLAQ’s Smoky Girl*… I don’t know who said it better. Spudgy or Fangurrila XD