Jay Park – Abandoned: Kpop Music Mondays

May 2, 2011

Comments

Did somebody say boobs? Because, well, boobs. Boobs! And don’t try blaming Simon for the amount of boobs mentioned in the video. Martina saw it as well and was shocked by the boobs, and shouted out “boobs” when she saw it as well (which is like, 90% of our dialogue when we watch Mad Men as well, FYI). And we don’t think that we’re alone here: the video was meant to draw our attention to the boobs. Seriously now! Lighting is a big factor in making videos, and people get paid good money if they know how to light a set well. There’s no way that the room could have been so dark, and the only real light you can see is a spotlight on the girl’s boobs. That’s not accidental. Sure, it’s not like the entire video is a boobfest, but that shot was definitely meant to make us think about the boobs. Ok, we’ve written that word enough for once.

What were we talking about? Oh yeah! The song! Holy crap is this a great song! Now, as you know, we’re not really into ballads, so when we heard the first bit of this song we were really not looking forward to reviewing it. But the song picked up a lot, really really well, and by the time the chorus comes around it feels like it grows into an entirely different song than what it was at first. Awesome! We love it when songs grow. Also, the song has a different R&B vibe than what we’re used to. Compare this to, say, TVXQ’s Before You Go. Yes, they’re totally different songs, we know. But there’s something about Jay Park’s Abandoned that sounds…American? We can’t quite pinpoint it, but there’s a different sound, an accent, a twang or something, between American and Korean R&B that we can’t quite pinpoint. Anyone else know what we’re talking about?

Also, the dance to this video was awesome (apart from the weird hat dance, which was just awkward). Jay Park’s a great dancer, and there seem to be so many moves in this video that really stand out. Usually we can only talk about one or two of the dance moves, but we could have gone on forever. We didn’t even talk about the nipple snake, or the Bambi-on-Ice. It seems like the dance has so many original and distinguishable dance moves to it that you can do any one of them and people will recognize what you’re doing (even if you do it as poorly as we do). We thought at first that this reminded us of Taeyang, because he’s also an amazing dancer, but his dance moves aren’t really as recognizable, we think. They’re phenomenal, don’t get us wrong. He’s easily one of the best dancers in Kpop in our opinion, but his dances seem to be more complicated sequences that are difficult to imitate, while Jay Park’s Abandoned has a lot of cool and easily recognizable moves. Know what we’re saying?

More about the dance moves: we called the “Where did you go, oh oh oh oh” dance move the Distracted Driver, but at first it seemed different to us. Originally, we thought he was looking at his watch, because he’s pointing to his wrist. So then we thought: why is he pointing to his wrist watch? Is he asking the time? Shouldn’t he then be saying “WHEN did you go, oh oh oh oh?” And if so, what time would he have been abandoned? Would it occur between 1 and 3PM? DUN DUN DUN! Far fetched conspiracy? Yeah, probably, but this is the kind of stuff we talk about when we watch these vids. That and boobs.
Jay Park Take a Deeper Look
Anyhow, that’s it for this week’s Kpop Music Monday. We filmed it on Martina’s birthday which was yesterday. Huzzah! Martina turned 28, even though she still acts like she’s 6 years old. Thank you for all your birthday wishes on Twitter and Facebook and Tumblr and on this site. We’re totally amazed at all the love, so, thank you. Lastly, if you’re a fan of Jay Park, and want to get his new album, you can do so by clicking on the picture here. Order it anywhere in the world: they ship internationally. Woot woot!

Comments

Jay Park – Abandoned: Kpop Music Mondays

1. Happy Belated Birthday Martina!!!! [: ^_^ :] !!!! @^_^@ (monkey)!!

For the showdown I vote for Jay Park.

And for requesting a video, can we request pick SNSD Mr. Taxi (even though technically I guess it’s considered a jpop song). I’d love to see your review on that video!

2. My vote goes to Taeyang! :]
    And happy birthday Martina! :D
    Hope it is/was awesome! :]

3. I like everything about Taeyang’s video better except the dancing…. so I’m going to have to go with Jay Park… but after he dances with the hat for a minute where does it go?? I’m pretty sure it just disappeared.

4. taeyang!!!! lol

5. Taeyang! And happy birthday Martina! :D

6. My vote goes to Taeyang…
    As for the b-day girl ~
    Like they say :
    Count your life by smiles, not tears.
    Count your age by friends, not years.

.Sooo be as amazing&outstanding,adorable&sweet as you are,surrounded by nothing less than endless happiness&cheer&LOVE !!!

7. OMG, this is beyond hilarious!

“…with her jibblies hanging all out like that”
    “Would it occur between 1 and 3PM?” Hahahaaa, you guys never stop being so awesome!

I want to go with Taeyang, he’s literally been Forever Alone for so long now, he definitely deserves the title, lol.

8. LOL nipple snake and bambi on ice??? damn you guys should of talked about those haha

9. happy birthday !! Joyeux anniversaiiire !!!

I have to vote for Taeyang I listened this song all summer last year and I love the dance he does with Dara like crazy !

10. I vote for taeyang for the showdown. He’s lonely!

11. I’ve sent the link to this to Jay Park’s twitter acct – let’s see if he contacts you in response. Holy Boobs Batman!

12. Martina and Simon, I don”t know if you’re following bigbang ang their unit songs/activites even if Martina has a T.O.P fangirl syndrome ^^. But as for this week’s vote an another Taeyang music video would have been wiser. In termes of dance Taeyang “I need a girl” doesn’t really has dance in it. The best taeyang’s dance music video would be “Where U At” which is about searching for a girl so it can be forever alone too XD. But I think one of the saddest, most beautiful/epic/forever alone~~~~~~(….. fiuuu) MV of Taeyang might be “Wedding Dress” which is maybe the most known kpop song (for international kpop fans) ^^. I know that you’re not reviewing old kpop songs and so but please take the time to watch his music video (Wedding Dress) if you haven’t and give me your impressions, i will love to know your opinions about it (dunno why… yes i know because i just love you guys =D), just a few lines are more than enough ^^.

(Ps: i will study in Canada next year, do you know if there is any koreatown around Montreal ?)

And everyone pls support Jay Park by purchasing his album, he deserves it after all the hardships he went through =).

13. Jay Park..!

14. xD I laughed so much, this was one of your funniest videos ever!!
    I vote for Taeyang as well (the boobs distracted me a bit there..)

Happy B-day, my brother had also a Birthday yesterday, and I gotta say even though you´re year older than my brother, you look sooo much younger than him.. Must be your good genes / healthy lifestyle (T.O.P= the new youth serum) ) :DD

15. About it sounding like American music. The beginning of the song sounded so similar to me that I heard the beginning several times before figuring out where i heard it. Chris Brown’s video forever. Okay, the beginning of his video may not sound similar to Jay Park, but keep listening until it gets to the chorus. Chris brown’s chorus and the beginning of Jay Park video sounds similar. Here, Ill even give u the link. That’s why it sounded american. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sMKX22BHeE

16. I love Taeyang, but Jay Park.

17. First…Happy B-day again to Martina (I tweeted too) but one can never have enough birthday wishes ~I like to celebrate for a week~ :)
    Then….it took the second viewing of the video to ‘get’…80085 outta 5 – spells BOOBS. HA! (very sneaky and clever)
    Also, just my personal opinion, it’s not that Korean & American R&B are so different (R&B is my ALL time favorite genre of music, btw)…it’s this: Koreans take success models and imitate them, but this often leaves them imitating the past, or proven success. 2VXQ’s Before You Go and others like it are ‘classic’ R&B — Jay Park is doing ‘current’ trend R&B. Anyway, that’s just what my ears are hearing, doesn’t mean I’m right.
    Lastly…dance moves. I gotta go with Taeyang. He’s one of the few performers today who has that IT-factor with dance like a Golden Era master…further back than Michael Jackson…like Fred Astaire & Gene Kelly era – his *fluidity* for lack of a better word is World Class. A++

18. LOL.BOOOOOOOOOBS!!!
    :D

19. Is the cute elmo party hat and all the pretty balloons because you were celebrating your birthday?

Happy Birthday Martina

20. definately vote for jay….

21. Tae Yang!

22. Gotta vote Jay Park. He was rockin’ the moves in the music video. :)

23. Lmao!! I love your reviews!!

Im voting JAY PARK because he has so many recognisable moves, a novice can do them, plus i prefer his dancing style

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARTINA!!

24. vote Tae Yang!!!!!

25. TAEYANGG!! <3 He's well known for being forever alone (:

26. I love both of em’ but i vote for JAY PARK~!!! He’s one hella of good dancer..oh yeah..forgot..he’s a bboy~ duh~ ahaks~! JAY JAY JAY!!!! TAEYANG I still LOVE U~!!!

27. Happy birthday martina!!! (:

TAEYANG!!!!!!!!!!! HE’S THE BEST!!!!

28. Happy birthday Martina!!
    I vote for Jay Park!!!!:)

29. TAEYANG IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!

Oh, and Happy Belated Birthday, Martina ^^

30. I vote for TAEYANG because it’s the forever alone edition n__n

31. Happy Birthday Martina! As far as dances go, Jay Park takes the cake in my opinion.

32. Don’t get me wrong…I love Taeyang, but his dance kind of reminds me of bird learning to fly…

gotta go with JAY PARK on this one! <3

33. I love Taeyang as a member of BigBang (and cameo b GD, YAY!) but I have to say… Jay Park actually /danced/. Taeyang, despite being known to be a very good dancer, really didn’t. Vote goes to Jay Park for me.

34. Jay park the hat stealer!!! Rawr~

35. HAPPY BELATED MARTINA! AND THANKS TO BOTH OF YOU FOR ALL YOU DO. I WANT TO BE A TEACHER IN KOREA SO BAD NOW BECAUSE OF ALL OF YOUR COOL ADVENTURES.

36. Taeyang. Cause I felt he was really abandoned.

37. Happy birthday Martina!! And Taeyang totally wins. The dance to the video is awesome. (it sounds cooler speed up, too! lol) ^^ If Taeyang doesn’t find a girl, I’m willing! XDDD