Lee Hi “It’s Over” – Kpop Music Mondays

March 12, 2013

Comments

DUH LEE DUH LEE EE EE EE! This week we’re talking about Lee Hi’s “It’s Over” for Kpop Music Monday. It’s awesome! It’s fun! If you haven’t seen it yet, check it out here, and then sing it in your heads incessantly afterwards

Isn’t this video so odd? It’s a really fun concept. A big grumpy jerky teddy bear. Hilarious. Especially when he Rick-James-to-Charlie-Murphy’s all over the shopping cart. The whole video just looked like loads of fun, and it was fun to watch as well. Match that with the super catch chorus and it’s clear why this video would get so many views so fast.

We also like that the cute innocence of this video is actually cute and innocent, and not lolita-esque, like “I’m cute and innocent oppa but I’m so sexy!” Lee Hi is just cute, and – though I know she’s in high school – I swear, she looks like, 9 years old TOPS in this video. See, what struck us about Kpop a while ago is that it seems so much more innocent than Western Pop music, and that’s what’s part of it’s appeal to us and to a lot of other people, but it seems to be losing that more and more lately. This video, though, harkens back to that sweetness, you know?

One theory we tossed around back and forth when we were scripting for Music Monday, but ultimately scrapped, is that Lee Hi might become Korea’s new sweetheart, now that IU seems to have lost that title, from what we read in the news somewhere a while ago after that whole IUnhyuk thingy. We’re not fully convinced that this is the case, but we’re not fully not-convinced, either. We just abandoned it when we tried to squeeze in an Eunhyuk joke in there, and realized we’d be murdered. Screw that! We’re dedicated to corny jokes, but not that dedicated!

Otherwise, this is the first video that we’ve talked about on our KpopCharts that wasn’t in first place since we announced the Personal-Choice-Among-Top-3 rule. You guise vote for the top 3, we pick one and make our video on that. This rule is, amongst other things, to try to prevent the vast amount of boybands out there from ruling our Kpop Music Mondays, like they did in 2012. Sure, it sucks that we didn’t review U-Kiss this time, but hopefully we’ll review them next week! Uggh. Tumblr ban for the next week!

Anyhow, if you’re a fan of this song like we are (and you definitely must be. This song RAWKS!) pick it up on either iTunes or YesAsia. Do it! And, we were rather on point this week for Music Monday, so we don’t have as many bloopers as usual, but if you’re addicted to watching us mess up, here’s Martina making out with our giant Unicorn a bit too much…

Comments

Lee Hi “It’s Over” – Kpop Music Mondays

1. Lee Hi once said in an interview that she found it hard at first working at YG because she used to be obsessed with Big Bang… the bears represent the members of Big Bang and the song is showing how she is overcoming her fangirl past and realising that SHE is an artist now and independent… that’s what i thought after watching the video ^_^

2. hi martina! i love your hair kkk and is that simon’s hat?

3. I just wanted to say that, while I was a little creeped out by how young they made Lee Hi look in this video, when I went back and actually watched…..okay, skimmed, all of “1234”, the super cute look is much better on her than all those teenager-trying-too-hard looks from the other video. It’s like they tried several different looks in “1234” and picked the best and went with it for “It’s Over”. So well, “better job” done guys? Just….just……..too pedobear…….bear………eeee……..at times………shudder……

4. Pedobear =x

5. I’m glad you guys picked this one, and you did a great job on the Music Monday. It was quite clever and well done. Thanks for all your hard work; it’s been a joy being a EYK fan!

6. Guys, you so solo artist bias….lol :D Great review guys :D

7. Where is Spudgy? ;-; He’s not sick, is he?

8. Isn’t it 0.05?

9. I made it halfway through that Super Junior video and had to stop to save my sanity. Gotta vote for Lee Hi.

10. cooking cooking! I love that video! @[email protected]

11. SuJu-Happy’s Cooking Cooking for starters.

Also, I’d like to point out that I think the vast majority of Korea (besides the teenagers) prefer solo artists to actual groups these days, it was quite evident last year. I felt like the quality of solo artist’s work was also better too. It’s like how well Ailee did last year, maybe it’ll be Lee Hi this year.

She’s definitely talented and though I love her voice I’m not digging this jazz style of music, just not my thing. And not gonna lie, the video clip was kinda boring to me, though somewhat cute and funny at times. I think this formula that k-pop has (besides the autotune); the long drawn out emotional notes and the choreographed dancing as you guys mentioned, they’re my thing. I like that. So yeah, I just couldn’t get myself to like this much. YG’s stuff has never been my thing much anyway. Sorry Lee Hi. :c

I will still keep an eye on her though, she’s got mad talent after all. :D

Lastly, “unless it’s illegal to show bear nipples in Korea” OMG LOL. XD

12. I only really liked Lipstick by them :) I really found the plot to be funny and cute :)

13. This is the first? music monday in your studio that I only see Meemers. Where’s Spudgy? I see him no where!! :(

14. Simon, I just smothered my 3 chicken tenders with ranch dressing. lol. Reminded me of your obsession. I’ll have to send you some!!

15. Cooking? Cooking!

16. I am a little surprised that there wasn’t a Strong Bad reference anywhere.

17. Minus .05, actually :)