Lee Hi “Rose” – Kpop Music Mondays

April 2, 2013

Comments

We’re talking about Lee Hi’s “Rose” for this week’s Kpop Music Monday. If you haven’t heard this yet, here it is. Why have you not heard this yet?!

You know, I think we sometimes have difficulty expressing what we want to say properly in our videos. We get passionate about an idea, talk about it to great length, and then realize that we might have not spent an even distribution of time on different points, and thus might give off the appearance of imbalance.

At the beginning of our video, we talked about how much we like the song, and about how much we’ve been listening to it, and how everyone we know is listening to it. It’s a great song, but we didn’t emphasize that enough. I’m thinking people might get the feeling that we’re complaining, when really we’re just trying to say that it’s a great song, but Lee Hi is better than the song itself. It’s not a reason to not like the song at all. We’ll still listen to it a lot. We just think that she’s so good she should be getting Skyfall-esque songs that blow you away. She’s too damn good to be timid, you know? Give us the boomshakalaka she deserves!

Also, we didn’t mention this in the video, but we do realize she is still quite young and still in training. So she very well may not be ready for the huge boomshakalaka songs that we want her to sing, but we know she’ll get there over time, and we’re super happy to watch her grow. Till then, YG, we’ll still love her songs!

Regarding the video, it really was beautiful to watch. Not only were the sets whimsical, the outfits and simple innocent rose look really matched Lee Hi and her age. It wasn’t our all time favourite video evar, but it was certainly better than some of the cliche music videos we saw over 2012. I think a video like this shows that you can work on a set (and in a box) and still create an atmosphere that doesn’t remind the viewer they actually are on a set. Maybe it’s because we see SOOOO many kpop music videos that we feel like if one director can do it right, why can’t others? And yes, we know that not all videos are suited to a serious video like this, but we’re just hoping to see a change in the settings and styles of kpop videos in 2013. As a rookie, we think that Lee Hi has already raised the standards for both rookie and mature groups alike.

Anyhow, hopefully you like the song as much as we do, make sure you pick it up either on iTunes or YesAsia. It’s good music! And, as always, we’ve got bloopers. There aren’t a lot today, but Martina’s over caffeination made up for it.

Comments

Lee Hi “Rose” – Kpop Music Mondays

1. If I were to create an analogy for this weeks KPOP Monday, it would sound something like this.

Lee HI would be considered a weekly ALL-STAR voting candidate and would remain on the top for a long, long time. Whereas someone or some-group like Girl’s Day or Heo Young Saeng have a ONCE or at most TWICE in a weekly opportunity to get reviewed under your new TOP 3 system before they fall out never to be seen again.

(analogy from NBA All-Star Voting system where allstar names get voted each year and those who have an all-star season miss out)

2. I gave up Kpop for Lent, which recently ended. You don’t realize how much I have missed you!

3. Man, Pickleson Bottemsby is such a douchebag, He just doesn’t understand that he isn’t the best anymore :L

• LOL he reminds me of mr brohoho with the mustache and what not, i think his style is being jacked. And you will see this on the next court case of judge spudgy

4. I think that is a great suggestion as well. When they originally presented the idea of Top 3 to Nasties, they said they would recognize who won even if it wasn’t reviewed. They did it last time, but not this time and I think may have helped easy complaints a little. I even ran to the blog to hope they would mention who was in 1st place but it wasn’t there and that become disappointing too.

AND I’m sooo excited about their K.Will interview. That man just makes me smile!

5. you are SOOOOO bias!! you know that??
    finally realize why you change the system~ LOL

• Calm down please dear i know and i feel u however lets just keep it classy

• believe me..i have calm down after writing this..just want to express myself..
        and i won’t give up..i will keep voting for HYS~ ^^

• LOL i still haven’t calm down LOL i still want to keep flipping things but lets just not get ourselves in problems and lets not disappoint Saeng XD so yeah lets keep voting and see u in HYS comment section

6. How are Simon and Martina supposed to predict the future and know “what their audience wants”? Lee Hi did make it to the number 1 spot before this video was uploaded which seems to indicate that’s what the audience wanted anyway. You can never make everyone happy.

• Well Young Saeng won this week when they closed the voting…

7. 7 years ago
  8. “Every rose has it’s thorn. Just like every night has it’s dawn. Just like every cowboy sings his sad, sad song. Every rose has it’s thorn” This is exactly what popped into my head when you said every rose has it’s thorn, which then made me think of Bill & Ted, which lead me to saying it just like Keanu Reeves.

9. MG

Keeping your group in first place doesn’t matter anymore. As you can see Lee Hi won over 1st place Heo Young Saeng. And it doesn’t seem to be because they wanted to review a female artist. Or their dislike of reviewing one artist too often. or wanting to introduce new artist that haven’t been exposed as much. I think fans have the right to ask questions, and try to keep them honest to their word. Lets Hope S&M made the choice of Lee Hi because of their bias and not because they’ve started to let business make their decisions.

10. THE EYK SIGN SANK!

11. Everyone has read George Orwell’s Animal Farm right?

12. MG

It’s a good tool to express disappointment it Keeps them honest.

13. awwwwwww i was really hoping you would do Girl’s day

14. “You know … I think this wasn’t biasness it started since UKISS didn’t get reviewed that time and S&M are actually not going to read the comments any more and do what they want until things calm down and complainers get fed up… like they said in other videos…they don’t care about the fame.(so the complainers might as well unsubscribe)..they just want to have fun doing what they like to do and if they don’t even have that priviledge they’ll just upload videos because there are many fans that just purely enjoy their videos no matter the content.”

Great review guise!! *______*

♥♥♥♥

• But with U-Kiss it wasn’t so bad since it wasn’t a very old video when Lee Hi came out so fans were sad but not too much since it could’ve stayed in the charts, (also it was the first time S&M put their new rule to use and ignore the #1 so it was shocking in a way) and I believe that’s the difference this time the other 2 vids have a higher chance to drop and therefore fall, I think that’s why the fans are so upset.

And I agree this was a cool review =]

• Actually the new rule came just before Boa’s Disturbance KMM so it wasn’t more like a shock but more like a “new Nasty” old kissmes’ kind of thing…and when that happened they used the word “banning”for the tumblr page… oh yeah and complainers had plenty of time to gather “their forces” since Boa….so… myeah… TKIR: I agree with them for the lack of “voice power” but I think her song should also match her personality …kind of exactly like a rose…she’s a sweet, “soft” person. Speaking about personalities I think “I’m weird” (check album on itunes) fits her porsonality so well! :)

• I do agree that U-kiss fans were not that bad ,they were nicer….

• Well … that was the beginning of it…

• You’re right, they stated it a while ago but hadn’t really used it, I still think they were sad but not as much as I’ve seen today >.<
          And don't worry I checked the whole album already ^_^ though I buy on Soribada though not iTunes since it helps the digital sales in Korea (It's in English and people can vote with paypal but not many ppl are aware) and yea the songs do match her, and also Rose has delicate lyrics that went well with her voice indeed ^_^

• Oh… I saw her “Rose” updates on fb and left a link directly to itunes so I clicked that in desperation and bought what I could… oh I wanted to buy it whole but …not sure how well I’m doing with my budget – . –

• lol I did the same, but yea I only bought the songs I really liked =] and downloaded the rest (which I still liked) but you know… i need money xD

15. Personally i can’t believe they didn’t bring up that she looked like a vampire from twilight. Come on he contacts where the same color as the cullins eyes. And her hair looked like a really bag dye job that rosline would get. What it makes scene, she looks like Rosline from Twilight because the name is Rose.

• Okay! I TOTALLY THOUGHT THAT!! But Simon didn’t care for my opinion. OMG SIMON WHY Y SO UN-TWILIGHT BIASSSSS!!!!

• Yah Simon why are you so un-twilight biassssssss. Martina’s opinion counts on this she looked like a twilight vampire.

16. Great work, Simon and Martina! You guys continue to impress me with your commentary, skits, and use of Spudgy!

17. Congrats to Lee Hi getting this review. Let the Girl’s Day fans push to get there song up! I’ll keep voting to see it reviewed~!

18. I feel bad for S& M…..I hope they can handle all this. Maybe they should get rid of kpop music charts and review the videos they want so no one gets disappointed.

• Comparing the comments I’ve read here on this KMM with those back when Nu’est first debuted and The Chaser wasn’t reviewed and pretty much any video that was mostly negative in tone towards the song/video, etc. etc….let’s just say I’m sure S&M can handle it. The comments on this site have been polite discussions on why they aren’t happy with the choice. I haven’t seen anything terribly horrible being written about Lee Hi or S&M themselves. None of it compares to the things that used to show up on here. (As for YouTube comments, I don’t read those. I know that the comments on the blog posts usually tend to be from actual Nasties and not the random interloper. Plus people on YouTube just tend to be nastier…and not in the EYK Nasty way.)

That said, getting rid of the charts pretty much contradicts what S&M seem to want EYK to be. They have said multiple times that they want to have audience input and to work hand in hand with them. That is the reason behind the charts. I don’t always agree with the way the system works, but I think the last thing they should consider doing is taking away the charts.

• I was just suggesting it’s not like I’m demanding I’m just one person giving what I thought might be a solution (not like my opinion is gonna change anything) Besides to be honest I didn’t have any problem with today’s review. I like Lee hi and I like Kpop music mondays….

• You put your opinion of what could be a possible solution and I put my opinion on why I don’t believe that solution is one that would work. I never said anything about you demanding this change, you said that all on your own. I also didn’t say a thing about this weeks KMM….You’re taking things way too seriously my dear.

• they’re quite professional. there are times when people (being fans and S&M) will be disappointed and i don’t see why you want to get so extreme and ask them to get rid of kpop music charts….. asking them to do that is probably more insulting than them hearing fans put their two cents in the comments box. they do this because they enjoy it and i’m ure before they started this business, they knew what was going to come along with.

besides, people who are on here sharing their disappointment has not once said anything rude toward simon and martina. tripleS are well known to be quite honest and kind so reading their comment aren’t in a bit hurtful. relax dude….

• I’m suggesting because I’m concerned I’m seeing that people lately are unhappy about the kpop charts. Omg and people here say they are allowed to voice their disappointment, opinion whatever they wanna call it….Don’t try to make me sound like I’m insulting them when I’m actually on their side. I’m not the one here who is “disappointed” To be honest I’m very satisfied with S&M Video’s review.

• Hey it’s not just triple s, Girl’s Day fans and even other ppl who don’t love either still found this jacked up and are expressing their disappointment. I hope S&M comes back and reads these comments to see WHY we’re so upset and don’t just blow us all off and have something identical happen again.

19. I know I wanted Hambone to win. Why did this get cancelled mid episode! So unhappy, but Hambone was going to win she put hand cream! Yeah!

20. I always read the blog first :)

21. Actually so far the only person who I am not so pleased about the tone they are using on this page right now is you. Everyone else is sharing this disappointment in a constructive and relatively respectful way.

• Uhm (although it’s “an hour ago” comment) “salt” makes the “wound” hurt more doesn’t it?

• I am a moderator, but as fuuko ( the other moderator along with caricakes and Simon and Martina ) commented elsewhere, the Kpop music Monday pages are slightly different and we are not really as strict about what people can talk about in the comments here.

Yes the complaints get tiresome, but you have to realise that we always get masses of complaints after each Music Monday. It is just that today, it is majority complaints.

22. I love Lee Hi, but I was looking forward to Young Saeng. So, I guess I’m a little disappointed :( Going to go vote for him like crazy, maybe next week?

• Please don’t start arguments with people now. It is obvious that many people are disappointed and many of them are going to comment about it. Once it is done in a respectful way, it is fine ( even though each disappointed comment makes me feel a little bit more sad )

But it is not going to help to tell people to shut up. It will just make things worse. If anyone is going to tell anyone to shut up, let it be a mod.

• We don’t have any control over the youtube comments, and they are pretty much always like that.

Commenters on the website are usually a whole lot nicer.

23. Yes, this particular choice for a review has pretty much created a very negative reaction. I feel really sad reading about how disappointed so many people seem to be. But to give props, most people seem to be doing it in a respectful and constructive way. Maybe all of these comments would serve to inform Simon and Martina better about what the Nasties want.

:-(. honestly it still feels bad when everyone is so disappointed.

• I don’t think that they should be this offended by ppl disappointment. they are not doing KMM only for fun they are full time now, so they should pay more attention of what the audience want, that’s all. And they shouldn’t take it as an attack against them but as feedback. I get it that it’s hard sometimes, but I think they are doing what they really like to do, otherwise they wouldn’t take the risk to make the EYK studio happen, so I think it should give them enough strength to bear with some disappointed fans and also they recieve so much support as well. But they shouldn’t bury their heads in the sand because of some negative feedback, especially when it has some reason this time.

• I think that what S&M want is total freedom to have fun and choose what they think is best KMM material(some videos especially the more serious ones don’t make for a funny kmm) and not feel pressured doing it you know… “We’ll upload this cause B fandom will be upset and start hating us for not reviewing D” If they don’t act as themselves what’s the point? TKIR: I really love this song *____* I’ve been playing it on repeat and S&M’s review was awesome!

• I get your point but if they want real freedom then they should just get rid of the voting system. It’s there for a reason. They came up with it, so they should give more thought in it, especially now that they changed the rules. They have bigger power because they can veto the first MV, but it comes with bigger responsibility as well. So I think when they choose not the MV which won they should be prepared that some will be disappointed and also they should give some reason about their choice, I think that’s the least what they could give for the ones who came to the site every day and voted for any MV and made it first or kept an MV on the top 3 as long as possible. So when they ingore these votes and pick something else I think they shouldn’t be suprise that there are a lot of disappointed fans. Also they should gamble a little bit. I mean now they could think about how long an MV was in the top 3 and if they pick an older this week, they probably will still have a chance to review the newer MV next week. It’s not like big releases just pop out of youtube we can know it at least a week before. Well this system is new for S&M as well, so I hope they will learn to use it more wisely in the future.

• First they thought they could take it and I thought so too but apparently things got over control (we can’t possibly know/tell what they go through everyday) and they’ve forfeited the comments sections and message reading…
          as for reasons. I’m certain they do what they do for a good reason (and you might say that I have blind faith… it might be so but they’re the ones who created the website and sometimes we take advantage of their kindness). My final argument: every new fan or a fan that came along the way and didn’t get to know them well enough, should watch ALL their videos (trust me it’s important) and if even then there still are uncertainties and complains than so be it… nobody is tied up to nobody… some can leave and some can stay (for further confusions about understanding this comment I left another long one to Gilda Ocambo) TKIR: I couldn’t be more pleased with this review :) Lee Hi’s awesome!

• Yeah I’m sure they have good reasons whatever they do, but since even the biggest fans can’t know what they think I think it would be nice if they would let us know why they pick song over an other. I think it’s not a too big thing to ask and I think it would make a lot of people calmer.

• Yeah…. maybe… for now… time will tell…

• That is true, the comments should be about Lee Hi. But if you really read the comments, they are giving constructive criticism about how the Kpop charts are run. And they are doing it in a respectful way. So as much as the disappointed comments make me sad… I actually can’t see anything wrong with people voicing their opinion.

• Just butting in to say that commenting guidelines here on blog posts are not the same as on the kpop charts. We need to be strict about staying on topic because of the point system, but on the blog posts, I generally leave people alone unless they’re being incredibly rude.

• Yes, that is true. Making it even more so fine for people to comment on their disappointment.

I need milo. Or chocolate. Alas, I can have neither. I feel like I am in the presence of a dementor.

• Or a possesing dementor … TKIR: I loved the review. Maybe they didn’t express themselves well on the video but the blog post was explicit enough. I could only sense their affection for the song and singer.

• Yep, I feel really horrible for them. It is the same here and on Facebook.

• They’re human beings after all… I don’t know how much I would’ve endured it nicely if I had been in their shoes… I get the feeling like we’re (the ones who want to make peace) “covering up the holes” but the “water” keeps coming and we can’t hold the “wall” in place much longer…

• yes I agree. as much as I hate people complaining here…I think something has to be done now. Maybe not having a kpop chart is a solution I don’t know. I was excited that Lee Hi was going to be review (I wanted other girl groups to be reviewed better like glam) but whatever I still really like Lee Hi and then when I was reading comments on youtube people were not happy and at the end I didn’t enjoy the review.

• Yeah… I think I have to agree with you… for now it will be better if they don’t have a kpopchart(at least until the waters calm a bit more…*it’ll take a while).. and just have a kpop cocktail instead (so we’d know what artists/groups are around and know what music monday to expect)… you know I don’t know why people like, for a certain artist/group to be reviewed because you never know if you’ll turn out to hate the review in the end… for the group/artist to gain more popularity? I don’t know but that’s one of the reasons for me… so I’m saying that even if group/artist I want to be reviewed, doesn’t…even a kpopchart update is enough… you know this Nasty-S&M relationship can’t go on without total trust…they’ve shared all their dreams with us, happiness, sadness…and showed that they care for us… so they expect the same from us… and they expect the same from the new Nasties…just like we (the old ones) got our way through …they have to find their way TKIR: D-Unit was in the same situation and I asked for at least a kpopchart update with them, but they didn’t include them and I understand.I’m sure they had a good reason for it. I totally love Lee Ha Yi^____^ If you could see the BTS footage…. how can even someone hate her? Next time read the blog first, watch the review and then read the comments :)

• Listen.. it was nice talking to you but unfortunately I must go to sleep *I’m so dead X___X tomorrow cause I have work* if you can help out and calm the crowds a bit, it’s very much appreciated…if it isn’t possible then it can’t be helped *sigh*Thanks! Bye!

• ok good night…I know right?

• Yes…they said once that doing two reviews it’s basically impossible…well since they have other stuff like interviews and tldr’s and whatnot… unfortunately not…

24. The way I see it S&M figured it would be a while before another female artist had a chance at being reviewed so they should take the opportunity particularly since its so different from her last video.
    I was hoping for Heo Young Saeng too since the MV is so funny and delves into Saesang fans/stalkers
    But I for me Lee Hi, Heo Young Saeng, Girls Day… all would have been good!

• But that excuse doesn’t work because Girl’s Day had been on the top a couple weeks too.

• I’m pretty sure they did, rewatch it. I think I specifically remember them mentioning Big Bang and G-D (or one or the other).

I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure I remember that because I was mad when they brought up top 3 but they brought up a lot of points that convinced me.

25. The next time, I’m going to read the other comments first… not the right time for that joke xD

26. I was actually expecting Girls Day to be reviewed, but I was hoping for Heo Young Saeng. I’m actually a bit surprised that you have only used your veto power twice (I believe) but both times they were for Lee Hi (or am I wrong and Heo Young Saeng wasn’t in 1st place when the voting was over?).

I had hoped that you would use your Super Veto powers to allow lesser known groups and groups that had not been reviewed to get a KMM in order to provide a bit of diversity to the KMMs. I still have a bit of hope that it will still happen, but it has been greatly reduced after this (actually it started decreasing after Nu’est’s last video). Maybe you will surprise me one day though.

As for the song, I agree with you. It’s missing something for me. I really liked 1234, sorta liked It’s Over, and Rose is just meh. It’s very pretty but it doesn’t really do anything for me.

I vote GD.

• Please DO NOT begin to assume what my likes are and who I am a fan of. You are under the erroneous assumption that I only vote for my bias group or “Oppa” that I might be a fan of. Did you even read my comment? I expected Girls Day to be reviewed. I actually like their song. I was hoping for Heo Yong Saeng because the video was awesomely funny and I loved the song! I actually usually try to watch many of the video that are on the charts and vote for the ones that I think are really good and would make a good KMM (Male or FEMALE).

I was hoping that they would not only use their veto power to bring more female artist to KMMs but also lesser known artists who never had a review before. Lee Hi could have easily hung onto the top 3 for another week (both times she was on the charts) because she has a big fanbase and her video was just released. Girls Day and Heo Young Saeng do not have that luxury because they have been on the charts for a while and after 25 days they WILL NOT be eligible for a review.

So DO NOT try to tell me what I am disappointed NOT UPSET about.

• I can express my opinion.. is it all you guys are doing?

You were not even being that nice when you were expressing “your dissapointment” NOT UPSET about.

• Dont worry …it’s not a biasness episode… just an “let’s see who really cares and sticks along” kind ( they really love Lee Hi though)

• He was in first place I believe on the charts page, but I am not sure what it looked like on the mod page ( that’s what Simon and Martina use to determine it ) at midnight because Lee Hi took over very soon after on the Kpop chart page.

27. For the video showdown: GD all the way. His video not only has a storyline, but it also has a *far* greater variety of images, colors, textures, etc. to look at. Each scene is just stuffed with things to look at, and the camera cuts are slow enough that we can actually take in a lot of what’s in the scene. In this case, more is better — way better.

28. It’s not as simple as “keep voting so it stay in first place”. There is an algorithm built into the charts that after about 25 days a video is on the charts, the points drop to 0 so it has no chance to be reviewed.

29. Maybe this KMM just worked better with all of the fanmail treats they received the last couple of weeks. More like a Nasties shout out video. Maybe it was just me, but it did seem like this was a shorter, more prop driven review. But hey, how many times can you honestly say you got two KMM’s? Hell, sometimes it’s not even here until Tuesday!

30. Oh come on people,YOU’RE disappointed by all the hard work Simon and Martina do for us? They should be disappointed in all the negative comments and complaints their Nasties are giving them. Seriously though, they don’t have to do ANYTHING for us. So just sit back, take a deep breath, and enjoy the video! :)

31. PK

Thank you for pointing out the same thing I felt! I really wanted to add “Rose” to my playlist but I didn’t feel right about it and kept repeating the song over and over. And after the video I went back and looked for the “moment” the song could have caught my attention but didn’t. And the skits were hilarious! “Master Rose Competition!” I was giggling loads. Thank you for positing up the video! ^^

32. I guess s&m favour songs that are loved by many, not songs loved by a mainly fanbased market. Which is great but not for money making imo.. haha.. love you guys ♡

33. I vote for GD that xx

34. I really thought Girls’s Day was going to be reviewed because it had been in the top 3 for 2 weeks, and normally when a song is in for that long s&m pick it grr>.< and this song is meh anyway compared to her last two, hopefully girls day next week!?

• i thought the same thing for Heo Young Saeng

• It’s frustrating because both were good songs with good videos and they had both been up top for 2/3 weeks and along comes Lee Hi and she’s picked straight away even though she could of held on for at least another week!

• i know actually if it was Girls day i wouldn’t feel soo sad :S i mean we did our best but sigh what can we do? this was S&M choice

• Nope, this was our last week. We will drop off of the charts before next review.

• How do the charts work exactly? I mean, I remember this one time a video just came out and it was already #1 but #2 had more votes. I forgot how they run their charts.

• After a week their points start declining, after three weeks (pretty sure) they expire and fall off the charts.

• the newer the video the higher it gets in charts

• It’s a shame I thought it would be reviewed, and how they chose Lee Hi even though she could of stayed on for another week or two. I seem to remember them changing the chart system for a reason…

35. This song and video didn’t do it for me as much as “It’s Over” did. I found it to be bland, and like Martina mentioned I kept wanting that boom! But the hair/makeup/costumes where very pretty and matched the song well!

(I will just have to imagine you guys acting out the crazy fangirl from Youngsaeng XP hehe)

36. I didn’t really like this song, but this music monday was so funny!! ^.^ I got all weird look from my friends in the same room ^^”

37. I personally like this song, and I see why Simon and Martina chose it, but Lee Hi would probably would have stayed up in the charts until next week. Lee Hi always gets chosen, and I feel like the other groups really didn’t have a chance…I am sorry!!
    *Runs of in shame*

38. I really love this song. Actually was hoping for leehi to sing a dark song with no obvious boomshakalaka before her debut! She fits it imo though this song is not as serious as I had in mind but still lovely nonetheless. A seemingly plotless video is rare for yg but it’s still beautiful. And leehi too.. is getting more beautiful with every concept. She is just as unique for being able to pull all of them off perfectly ♥

39. I hate to be one of those people who complains about what gets reviewed, but honestly I’m in the same boat as some others here… Doing a Lee Hi review twice in…a month (or so?) seems to defeat the purpose of you guys picking from the top three. Particularly when either of the other videos probably would’ve resulted in a much more interesting KMM.
    Anyway, putting that aside, I still liked this KMM (even though the fake KMM was funnier). Particularly the rose-crushing reality show skit lol.

• “You know … I think this wasn’t biasness it started since UKISS didn’t get reviewed that time and S&M are actually not going to read the comments any more and do what they want until things calm down and complainers get fed up… like they said in other videos…they don’t care about the fame.(so the complainers might as well unsubscribe)..they just want to have fun doing what they like to do and if they don’t even have that priviledge they’ll just upload videos because there are many fans that just purely enjoy their videos no matter the content.” I shouldn’t be re-posting this due to disqus regulation but… – . – TKIR: Well “Rose” is the song and the video is just the (what you could call it) that something that attracts people to the song… the video would’ve been better .(..but I believe k-pop still has a lot to learn from (good) western music (and they don’t know much of that… Lady G. (no offence) and other popular ones)… like sum up some points/references from artist all around the world) but the song is the one that’s important (even though as S&M said it’s a tiny bit lacking in strength….but then again the song was composed by Tablo(Epik High) if I’m not mistaken… ) and she has great potential. Well …for me the video actually helped transmit the emotions the song was supposed to transmit (maybe because I checked the English lyrics first?). Anyway I’m glad you liked the KMM *yey* ^___^

• MG

I doubt they want to encourage people to unsubscribe. If they wanted to just have fun and do what they like they shouldn’t of made it a business. Your Fans do matter wether your making money out of this or not. And I don’t think you are doing them any favors. There is nothing wrong with calling them out on some inconsistencies on how they determine which video gets chose for EYKMM.

• true, except they are not inconsistent. They have explained, multiple times in multiple places, how they will go about choosing a video for review. And, they follow that consistently. Just because voters, fans, Nasties, whatever we call ourselves individually, are not in control of KMM, doesn’t mean that they are inconsistent. And, they do give us a LOT of say and control over *their business. They know their fans matter. What other YouTube business ventures have so many amazing give-aways, to many international shipping zones, with so much love and appreciation, and livechats that crash entire servers? Simon and Martina are very good to their fans, just like their fans are so good to them. Neither party owes the other anything, when it becomes debt, it is no longer a healthy, or fun relationship.

• MG

1. They mentioned not wanting to review the same artist to close together because to them it wasn’t fun.
          2. They mentioned they wanted to choose from the top 3 so that other groups not so often reviewed would have a chance.
          3. They said they wanted to show case more female groups
          also note Both times they went against # 1 pick was to review Lee Hi. ( I guess that’s consistent tho).

I want to apologize I shouldn’t of use the term ” call out” in retrospect that was harsh. I should of said that their wasn’t anything wrong with asking them why they chose Lee Hi over the number 1 pick and or a female group that has never been reviewed.

And I know they take care of their fans and know they know they matter I was commenting @kpopfan123 suggesting that those of us that are wondering why should just unsubscribe.

• If they want to make a living out of this they better care what the fans like and I doubt they would encourage people to unsubscribe please don’t talk for them you are doing them any favors. It’s a business now and i doubt they have to liberty to just care about having fun.

• I’m sure they can make a living out of their other videos…they even said something like “If one day we find that all the people have unsubscribed then we’ll say it seems about right” and even If I state my opinion it’s not like ppl would listen to what I have to say… I only comment …where I feel there still hope and find a way to get more help…

• they also mentioned that Youtube Japan want them to do the same thing they do about Korea but in Japan and review JPOP so if things don’t work out here, they can always go to Japan.

• I’m sure the same stuff would happen all over again…

• MG

I’m sure they can too. I have no doubt they could but you can’t alienate your audience either. I’M a K pop fan first and I don’t revere S&M in the same way some really loyal fans do. They can be questioned without fear of being called a haters and asked to unsubscribe. That’s definitely no the way to do business or act towards fans. And I’m pretty sure that is what you were suggesting disappointed fans do. I also am fully aware it was you who suggested people unsubscribe not S&M.

• First of all it’s S&M’s website.( …frankly the way you “sounded” earlier* was more like S&M are obliged to listen to their fans and thus do whatever they want.(did you say what you said because of the fundraiser?) They can’t work under pressure if you haven’t noticed by now and that’s “no the way to do business” either.) It’s a give and take relationship. Fans give respect and patience(meaning fans should respect what/when they do by understanding or trying to understand they work very much and they do their best to please all their fans- and you might not realise it but it’s true-)and S&M provide with their work.
          “And I’m pretty sure that is what you were suggesting disappointed fans do. I also am fully aware it was you who suggested people unsubscribe not S&M.”
          If there isn’t any way around is there another way? they’ll do it eventually if they don’t get what they want won’t they? or they’ll just keep showing their teeth like a pack of wolves? All I’m getting is that some of their fans are taking all this for granted (and it isn’t! nothing is for free ever!)and don’t even stop for a second “hey… I might be overreacting” or “let me think one more time before I work havoc…can I find another way to solve this?” nope…it’s so much easier to complain… There are many times that my favorite group/artist didn’t get picked and I didn’t flip the table just because I have to get it no matter what… In this whole comment did I say something that isn’t the truth?
          My advice is :for the fans that wish to know S&M better as to why they do what they do and disappoint fans, to watch ALL their videos…and if that doesn’t work either then that’s the end.

I know you can’t get what you want forcing someone and even if you get it that way…the result might still be unpleasant…so there arise more and more complaints… *sigh* I’m just tired…S&M probably feel the same… Do what you want… you’ll do that anyway

• MG

Nothing wrong with having an independent point of view and expressing it, as long as you are respectful. ” Showing Teeth like a pack of wolves”, ” work havoc”, ”flip the table”, ” get your way by forcing some one”. I think you are being a little dramatic. I think most of us actually weren’t fans of the video’s that weren’t chosen. We were just trying to understand their choice with the new system.

• Here is what I just don’t get, though–you are a k pop fan first, so why do you care what Simon and Martina pick? I know there are people here like me, who found EYK first, and then realized through that the world of kpop. Some of those fans were disappointed today, I wasn’t, NBD either way. But if someone is a diehard kpop fan, why isn’t this just a fun, extra site you check out sometimes? why follow them seriously at all? If I were a kpop fan over an EYK fan, I wouldn’t waste my time in arguing on their forum, I’d be scouring Youtube, or MNet, or Inkigayo, for more “legit” (ie more favorable in my eyes) reviews… I am simply not understanding the extreme need to express disappointment over this…

• Thank you. You explained it perfectly. Even though I knew about Kpop before I knew about Eat Your Kimchi, I still don’t understand why people who care about Kpop more care so much about what Simon and Martina do. I think overall their insights into Korean culture as a whole is far more important than who they decide to review each week. But some people are just really…passionate, I guess. :/

• Me too. Honestly I like their K-indie and WANKS better, because of the insight into another part of Korean culture. I like watching KMMs, even if i dont like the song or band, for their skits. They did the top 3 rule so they could have more leeway and choice on the people they review. They can review a band 3 weeks in a row if they like the song or MV. Its their choice. Cheer up S&M. it was a funny skit, and this will blow over.

• same!

40. Ok, I’ve always loved you guy’s KMMs no matter who you guys do, but this time, like many others, I’m actually disappointed it wasn’t Young Saeng’s video. This isn’t coming from someone who’s crazy butt hurt but It’s only slightly upsetting that despite being in the top 3 for weeks, being at number one, and as an artist that could’ve brought variety to KMM, someone who’s pretty much guaranteed to be reviewed anyway, sooner or later was chosen. It hardly matters that *who* wasn’t reviewed anymore, this kind of defeats the purpose of voting and having the freedom to bring variety in KMMs anyway.

• this post is to talk about Lee Hi not Young Saeng….you guys already complained too much on Lee hi review….Can you guys stop it please?