Lee Hi “Rose” – Kpop Music Mondays

April 2, 2013

Comments

We’re talking about Lee Hi’s “Rose” for this week’s Kpop Music Monday. If you haven’t heard this yet, here it is. Why have you not heard this yet?!

You know, I think we sometimes have difficulty expressing what we want to say properly in our videos. We get passionate about an idea, talk about it to great length, and then realize that we might have not spent an even distribution of time on different points, and thus might give off the appearance of imbalance.

At the beginning of our video, we talked about how much we like the song, and about how much we’ve been listening to it, and how everyone we know is listening to it. It’s a great song, but we didn’t emphasize that enough. I’m thinking people might get the feeling that we’re complaining, when really we’re just trying to say that it’s a great song, but Lee Hi is better than the song itself. It’s not a reason to not like the song at all. We’ll still listen to it a lot. We just think that she’s so good she should be getting Skyfall-esque songs that blow you away. She’s too damn good to be timid, you know? Give us the boomshakalaka she deserves!

Also, we didn’t mention this in the video, but we do realize she is still quite young and still in training. So she very well may not be ready for the huge boomshakalaka songs that we want her to sing, but we know she’ll get there over time, and we’re super happy to watch her grow. Till then, YG, we’ll still love her songs!

Regarding the video, it really was beautiful to watch. Not only were the sets whimsical, the outfits and simple innocent rose look really matched Lee Hi and her age. It wasn’t our all time favourite video evar, but it was certainly better than some of the cliche music videos we saw over 2012. I think a video like this shows that you can work on a set (and in a box) and still create an atmosphere that doesn’t remind the viewer they actually are on a set. Maybe it’s because we see SOOOO many kpop music videos that we feel like if one director can do it right, why can’t others? And yes, we know that not all videos are suited to a serious video like this, but we’re just hoping to see a change in the settings and styles of kpop videos in 2013. As a rookie, we think that Lee Hi has already raised the standards for both rookie and mature groups alike.

Anyhow, hopefully you like the song as much as we do, make sure you pick it up either on iTunes or YesAsia. It’s good music! And, as always, we’ve got bloopers. There aren’t a lot today, but Martina’s over caffeination made up for it.

Comments

Lee Hi “Rose” – Kpop Music Mondays

1. Just have to say, your hair and makeup look really nice in the video

2. I think the thing is for the most part they need to stick to the number 1 voted. And that is what they were doing until Boy Group #3 in a row. They vetoed and put in a female, then went back the what was in #1.

It looks like they are doing their level best not to abuse their new ability to pick one of the top 3 when people are still making efforts to get artists into the #1 position, and I think that is how it should be.

Just because they can ignore voters choice and pick someone else, doesn’t mean they always should. Even if it is a review for a song they don’t like. They weren’t over the top happy with Infinites new song either. Sometimes they aren’t going to be excited – but they have to be as fair to the voters as they can.

3. I’m confused! why did you guys say if there were peanut butter in the MV you would be interested? You always say how you want to see videos that match and are relevant to the song!!!! Not hating or anything!! I LOVE YOU GUYS! I’m just confused (maybe because I loved the MV and song so much and have some things to disagree with… but not in a “UGGHH I WANNA KILL YOU FOR SAYING THAT” way!

4. I have to make a teeny tiny comparison between lee hi’s it’s over and this video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SyRvzeNuqa4 … just go to 1.54, in BOTH videos.
    Coincidence? I don’t think so.

5. I want to make a teeny tiny comparison between Lee Hi’s It’s over and this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SyRvzeNuqa4 … just go to 1.54 in BOTH videos.
    Coincidence? I don’t think so.

6. That was my feeling too (both points).

7. the reality show! hahaha…. so true… i watch the biggest loser and it’s really the worst for that! the show is 2 hours, and it could really be one hour if they stopped going back to 10 minutes before where they were before the break… but lol. good KMM guise!

8. I don’t think anyone is actually hating on Lee Hi. It seems that they just wanted someone else reviewed this week and Lee Hi next week to give a different artist a chance. There is also some confusion as to who was #1 when the polls closed. Everyone saw HYS but S&M say in post somewhere in here that it was Lee Hi. I personally haven’t seen anyone say they hate Lee Hi or Rose or S&M. It has just been an air of disappointment and confusion.

9. YG videos are infamous for off key lip syncing. Simon and Martina love to point it out especially with 2NE1.

10. Loved the “Mean Girls” reference there. :) And the reason your comment got votes down is because of the people who aren’t happy with the outcome. No matter what, it’s likely for that to happen.

11. I agree with your overall opinion. It’s their choice and they have a right to make a video about what the video they want to. I believe I’m a mix between the two groups you mentioned. I really hope that they’re going to review the video I want them to (and I was a bit disappointed when it wasn’t Youngsaeng this week), however I’m also on the side of “Hey, it’s still EYK and S&M are funny and entertaining, so I’m going to watch it anyway.” I think a happy balance of the two is good because that way you’re still excited and anticipating the next video, but you’re also not super judgmental about it when they review something else and are much more understanding.

It’s a shame that not everyone thinks as calmly and gets more upset about unwanted outcomes, but I also know that in the Kpop fandom, there are those who LOVE one specific group and will defend them no matter what. So I think making videos about Kpop in general just leads to the negative comments they get. When I watch MVs on YouTube, I have seen many a Kpop fan saying “[Insert Group Name] is so much better than this group!” or “This group is just trying to be like this other group!” and some also get into arguments about their favorite members (a.k.a. biases) in that group and criticize others who say they don’t like that specific member as much. It gets pretty ridiculous if you ask me. -_-

So basically, I think it’s partially because of the intense sense of loyalty some feel to their favorite group(s), which isn’t wrong per say, but some of them seem to go a bit overboard with it. I think that’s why there’s so much anger in some of the comments here. The way some of the comments are worded are probably just out of the anger/disappointment the writer was feeling and that’s why the word “unfair” is popping up a lot because when you think about it in some ways it may seem unfair. Those who are saying so may just not be as comprehensive as others. Not to say that being a dedicated fan is wrong, I’m just saying that that’s what drives them to poke at others’ differing opinions.

12. I think it’s because of Youngsaeng and Girl’s Day also being in the top 3. Neither of them have been reviewed by S&M yet and many people were hoping for them to get a KMM.

13. so much green screen. i’m so proud of you guys… upping your production level

14. FYI, my whole family loved Master Rose Crusher! :D

15. G-DRAGON!!!!!
    But I really wanted to see who won on Master Rose Crusher, it was so interesting….

16. OMG! I’m in total shock. Got no words to describe these mixed and complicated feelings that I’m dealing with right now…

17. But… Kiseop could’ve been a great contestant for MRC with his man strength (from the Tick Tack video..)

Y U NO PUT IN KISEOP?

• That would have been unfair. He’s not a contestant: he’s in permanent God-mode and would crush everything instantly

• Buahahahahahahahaha! YES. Brilliant. XD Oh Kiseop… I feel Simon would have also been quite an excellent contender with all his epic dothraki man warrior strength also. :)

Plot twist. Spudgy beats everyone by crushing the roses with his droppings.

18. You don’t YOU let it go? YOU’RE annoying.

Seriously, holy crap.

19. Oh god, Dongho getting autocorrected XD

20. martina how does your hair look so fluffy in this video???

21. I love her voice so much, it is not ear splitting high, but it is so smooth and pretty

that being said… she has the acting ability of a potato

22. This was a hilarious MM. Seriously, if I wasn’t laughing I was smiling :) too funny.

23. Wow, I was in a really bad mood when I started watching this, and then I got to Master Rose Crusher. Bad mood GONE. Except…. I’ll never find out who won! *Angstangstangst*