Park Bom – Don’t Cry: Kpop Music Mondays

May 10, 2011

Comments

You know, it kinda sucks that we’re getting to the point now that we have to worry about people getting butthurt about our opinions. When we first saw this video, we thought to ourselves that it’s going to be really difficult to review. We’d have tons to say about it, but it would probably just get people upset. We’re anticipating our YouTube channel to have a lot of “WTF IF YOU DON’T LIKE PARK BOM THEN SHUT UP YOU RACISTS” or something like that. Uhh. Hopefully that won’t spill over into the discussion here. YouTube comments are out of our hands. The comments on this site, though, tend to be more civilized.

So, allow us to repeat: we like Park Bom. We like this song. We like 2NE1 a lot, and – as we mentioned in our interview on Arirang’s Heart to Heart – we think they’re one of the few Kpop bands to be able to make it internationally. But, really, this video was just not a good representation of 2NE1 or Park Bom. Maybe they scripted her to have such a soulless role, but – good googly goo – the acting was so terrible in this that we cringed. Why can’t she show any emotion? Why does she have to look like a doll?

Does anyone else not view this video as being really, really miserable? Your husband dies, you see his ghost and you go chasing after it, and then when you catch up to it, you hug your dead husband, and then he takes your rings, ties them together, and disappears. Who cares if the song is called Don’t Cry. Anyone who wouldn’t cry in such a situation is either dead or a robot. We put ourselves in Park Bom’s shoes for this video, and there are far too many times in which we’d collapse on the ground and sob uncontrollably. No pretty song telling us not to cry would change that. In fact, a sad song would probably make us cry EVEN MORE. Ridiculous!

It’s a really pretty looking video, though. It’s odd that it smacks of Tim Burton’s remake of Alice in Wonderland, though. Check out the picture here:

Park Bom Don't Cry Alice in Wonderland

Park Bom's "Don't Cry" really looks like Alice in Wonderland

See what we mean? The garden gates look almost identical. The sky has the same cloudy, grey, dingy look. The garden is overly abundant. In fact, Park Bom was originally with her hair up and in a pink dress, but in the garden she’s wearing a blue dress with her hair down, just like Alice. What’s the significance of Park Bom imitating Alice in Wonderland? We’re not sure. Alice follows the rabbit, Park Bom follows her dead husband’s ghost. Alice grows older and wiser after she leaves Wonderland, as does Park Bom. Alice is distracted by the blue hookah-smoking caterpillar, Park Bom is distracted by a blue butterfly. The similarities just seem a bit too much to be accidental. Their significance? We don’t know. We gave up on doing English-Literaturey things back in University. Anyone have any guesses?

Anyhow, that’s it for this week. We don’t know if Park Bom is going to have an album out for Don’t Cry, so we’re not sure how to recommend her album. We know that YG’s promoting their YG Family album. Does that count? It’s got 2NE1 songs live, along with a bunch of other YG Family songs from Big Bang, Se7en, and Psy. Woot woot! Check it out by clicking on the link below :D

Comments

Park Bom – Don’t Cry: Kpop Music Mondays

1. In Japan, a butterfly is a symbol of a person’s of a soul after death. Korea shares a lot of things with Japan, so maybe?? ( ^^;) That’s the only possible answer I can think of.

2. if u dont like park bom thn go away, kpop dont have time for u

3. agreed she puts no emotion watsoeva but love her voice especially wen she sings acoustic

4. agreed she puts no emotion watsoeva but love her voice especially wen she sings acoustic

5.  I don’t know what happened to Bom’s acting. She was doing fine in the past (in We Belong Together, to be exact). I think ever since she debut with 2NE1, she got a little bit…rusty. So rusty it’s awkward. Maybe she was being shy around the model so she got a stiff. Or maybe it’s really just the director’s fault.

6.  Hahaha Pak Bom goes Hollywood but she should’ve looked for inspiration from Hallyuwood instead! (^_^)

7. According to the lyrics, the video is not supposed to be about being devastated and she’s not chasing a dead husband. Some of the words in the lyrics indicate this:

Chorus:
    It’s okay baby please don’t cry,
    This long journey is about to end.
    But someday, we will meet again,
    In the next life, we will see each other again

She’s basically saying they have to break up because they keep hurting each other so it’s for the best. But I agree with you guys about Bom’s expressions. I think her face is just like that… her features don’t make a lot of movements. Lol.

8. :)

Martina! I love your “I’m late on purpose” shirt. Where’d you get it? Haha. Anyways, you guys have an awesome blog. Keep up the great work!

I vote Park Bom :) I know her world is supposed to look depressing, but…it doesn’t. It looks magical and fun to explore!

9. I’m for Park Bom

10. No, offence, I don’t think you guys really got the video…..
    Park Bom looks stunning, I know, but I don’t think your comments are that right, especially the ‘break a nail part’
    So please, delve deeper!!!!
    I still love you guys, thoeeeee..
    Keep posting awesome vids!

11. Park Bom
    Orange Caramel’s WTF world is kinda…WTF-ey
    PARK BOM’S DEAD HUSBAND WORLD WINS

12. well, to let you know about the butterfly… butterfly is generally representation of spirit of a dead person(especially loved one) in Korean literature.. so it is not so strange for koreans to see a girl finding her dead husband suddenly seems to interested in a butterfly with the same color as her last husband.. because it can be himself… as ghost.

13. BOMMMMMMIE OVER ORANGE CARAMEL ALL THE WAY. love bommie

14.  Park Bom.

15.  i think the butterfly was referring to the ancient Chinese story called the butterfly lovers….basically… because the couple could not be together when they were alive, after they died, the became butterfly and so they live happily ever after.=] the couple could not be together when they were alive, after they died, the became butterfly and so they live happily ever after.=]

16. Beautiful color on those nails Martina :) You have a really cool styleKisses from Portugal <3 keep up the good work

17.  The wonderland is actually purgatory, either Bom’s own personal one (since she since she hasn’t moved on) or a literal purgatory where the dead are still chillin. This was mentioned in a brief interview with an YG exec before the video was released.

I choose Bom’s world. Orange Caramel’s multiple plagerism scandals killed their music for me. Bommie’s concept feels like forced anyway.

•  Bommie’s concept feels *less forced, I mean. It suits her well.

18. Heya,

did Martina get a new tattoo on her neck, or I have I just missed it all this time? It looks like some kind of script. What does it say?

19. I got some updated info on the song plot! YG Producer Teddy said: “The lyrics are not about the lover that has passed away, but instead I
    wanted to portray a song about lovers parting ways in a beautiful way.
    Should I say it’s sort of a strange farewell song? The two loved each
    other and tried so hard but they feel sad as they watch each other
    slowly changing, and eventually letting each other go.”

20. 2ne1 next week…..

21. jajaj scaning sarcasm………sarcasm detected

22. Park Bom’s WORLD!!! :D

Please do 2ne1’s lonely for nxt week…

I reallly really really lopve ur videos :D

23. hey I love this video u guys made, I was like LMAO. But hold on, have u guys watch an MV call Mia (2009) which was of IU ( she has amazing voice <3). The concept of Don't cry seems to be inspired (or copied) by Mia-IU. wat do u think? Iris.

24. Hey @simonandmartina:disqus I love your videos! Jay Park just released his video for Tonight and it would be amazing if you guys could do a review for it next week!!! Thanks~!

~

25. I dunno?
    I think Orange Caramel is gonna win so… FTW ORANGE CARMEL I’m so sorry Bom

26. PARK BOM! definitely!

27. Vote for Orange Caramel!
    I think Park Bom was supposed to be emotionless. after, the title is “Don’t Cry”.
    And don’t worry about your review opinions! I knew this wonderful vlogger who got scared away by a very small number of users and now thousands of people are sad she isn’t doing anymore reviews.

28. ORANGE CARMEL!
    and this man copied you, or you copied him,…. hmmm

29. I vote orange caramel! Way cuter and more playful. The other one is sooo sad :(

30. K.

vote for orange caramel :)

31. Why does everyone assume wooden acting skills are the result of plastic surgery? Have you watched 2ne1 tv? She has facial expression! OK so she’s a bad actress I agree. Anyway I think its a great song and keep up the great work you guys!

32. i definitely vote for park bom’s alice in the wonderland.. oops. i mean ‘don’t cry’ :D

33. AING!~ I vote for Orange Caramel’s Aing ~

S & M, I think you guys shouldn’t really mind about the negative comments you’re getting or you’ll be getting cuz, this is your own review about the subject involved, your honesty is what we need and I totally agree with you :)

34. GREAT voice from Bommie as usual….but yeh, her acting~~~ I kinda get the feeling it’s her botoxd/plastic face that’s causing all the problems =_=” shame really, cos Bommie looked really pretty already back in around 2006…..the obsession Koreans have for surgery >n<" anyway….Bommie's a SINGER….so, her VOICE it's what really matters!!! and she has one heck of an AWESOME PIPE o^v^o

35. I VOTE PARK BOM PLEASE !

36. Dumbfounded I never realized Bom didn’t open her mouth o.O

I got the butterfly thing in the MV though.

I love this song :) And since I love Tim Burton movies, I loved the look & feel of the MV. [I wish Burton would make MVs for YG teehee]

When I requested Bom’s vid, I knew what I was gonna get — honest review from simonandmartina :) I was ,as always, entertained. Keep it up lovely couple! <3

And! 1 vote for Park Bom :)

37. Park Bom one of my faves.

38. I think the reason she wasn’t all heartbroken at the end of the video was because she learned to accept his death. The lyrics go “it’s okay baby please don’t cry”, and the song is about moving on. soooo…..yea.

I totally vote for PARK BOM! I loved this video, i thought it was amazing :)

39. actually, i thought it was her dead boyfriend she was chasing after when i first saw this video, and i thought those were couple rings, not wedding rings.

anyway, i personally think that the butterfly was supposed to represent her boyfriend/husbands spirit. that’s why it lead her to him – so they could properly say their final goodbyes. and at the end of the video, she wasn’t devastated because she was able to accept his death. the lyrics go “it’s ok baby please don

I would definitely pick Park Bom’s fairy tale world. It was really pretty, and the music video was really touching and it just about made me cry.

40. guys i think your opinions are great! they’re not even offensive! it’s terrible how everyone feels the need to filter themselves because the fans are too overzealous. please keep making the videos the way they are! love you guys!