Kpop Music Mondays: Seungri “VVIP”

January 31, 2011

Comments

Big Bang two weeks in a row? You betcha! Last week we did GD&TOP’s Knock Out, and a few weeks before that we did High High. This week for Kpop Music Mondays we review Seungri’s “VVIP” and try to deal with the weird, weird interpretation of Alice in Wonderland.

Let’s start off by saying that YG always has cool videos. This is no exception. Great fashion, weird but cool looking models, bizarre concept. Bam. It’s got it all. Problem is, the concept has a bit of an odd loophole to it that we couldn’t help but feel a bit uncomfortable with. In Alice in Wonderland, Alice has that potion and cake that make her grow big or small in size. In this video, though, when Alice drinks the potion she grows up, like an adult. But, still, that’s just a body change. Alice is still a minor! And then Seungri leans in for a kiss? PEDOBEAR! And, again – we mentioned this in the video – Seungri’s not the pedobear; it’s just the character he plays in the video :D

Martina was quite surprised to see that Seungri looks older now (but not fakely older through a weird potion, mind you). He doesn’t look like the younger kid brother member of Big Bang, and probably will be able now to take part in their beer ads since he’s an adult now. Good for him! Martina had some fun doodling his pictures. Here are a couple of them:

Seungri Before:

Big Bang Beer

Seungri After:

Big Bang Beer 2

At least, we think he’s old enough to drink legally in Korea now. What’s the legal drinking age here?

Another thing: the “Make it Rain” with credit cards made us laugh our asses off. That is just not impressive. Lots of people have lots of credit cards (with lots of debt on them as well), so when Seungri says he’s got lots of money, throwing cards up in the air just ain’t the way to prove it. For that matter, since we’re talking about clubs, we don’t really get the whole idea of a VVIP. I thought VIP was enough. Why add another V to it? Very Very Important Person? Doesn’t that make a regular VIP feel like a bum? And what of the non VIPs? What’s to stop them from making VVVIP? I think they need a new letter. Like SIP (Super Important Person) or STRIP (Super Totally Rawesome Important Person). That’d give a new meaning to a strip club.

Thanks to JB and Annie from [닉쑤] Enjoy Your Happy Life~* for continuing to translate all of our videos into Korean. They’ve also started translating some of our blog posts as well, which is totally awesome. Check out our Korean Like a Pro 2 post and check out the Korean below the post. Wow! Also, if you’re a fan of Seungri’s VVIP, or his other song, What Can I Do, you can buy the album and have it shipped to you by clicking the link below. Huzzah!

Comments

Kpop Music Mondays: Seungri “VVIP”

1. We're from Canada :D

2. Baby Goodnight is a must:
    1) tons of TOP candy for Martina <3
    2) the style is so far from their other mv's (storymode!) :D
    3) GD reading a book for Simon!

3. seungri's VVIP is the one!!!! i love it. YG MVs rocks. they are the best.
    fighting scene like infinite, we have seen it ib bigbang's MV years before. that's why i think VVIP is something new.

4. it’s cuz YG got Teddy as one of their song writer/producers. he was a member of an old school group called 1TYM.. and he’s from the states. i think he’s still american citizen. (some celebrities give up their american citizenship to get korean citizenship)

5. ok. please do GD & TOP's baby goodnight for the next kPOP monday pretty pretty please?.=))
    and u guys are always so hilarious. Where you come up with all these ideas? Spudgy? XD

6. I vote for INFINITE ~ <3

7. You can either go directly to http://www.eatyourkimchi.com/requests, or you can click on the "Request a Song" link at the bottom of the page, in the green toolbar :D

8. Okay. Next week, make it three in a row, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRJ4IzpfVUs BABY GOODNIGHT XDD I bet ya simon, martina's gonna faint. HAHA

9. Your English is great! I understood you perfectly! Maybe the problem is with your browser? If you are using Internet Explorer 6 sometimes the site doesn't work. I'd recommend trying Firefox, maybe?

10. I vote for INFINITE1. the fight is awesome and the songs not bad itself. i still love seungri too.

11. Seungri all the way!!

12. The best part of the video, was when Seungri dressed up as all 5 members of Big Bang. I had to do a double take before I realized it was Seungri. Plus, his impersonation of them was spot on. xD

13. lol he's been able to drink for like a year–the age is 20 in Korean age/19 American, and he just turned 20 in American age in December. (i know this cuz i turn 20 tomorrow….hehe)

anyway, definitely vote for Seungri–Infinite's was, like you said, endless. it got old. meh.

14. This was one epic music monday! I was laughing my butt off at potion, raunchy thrusting and PIROUETTE! xD Seungri won, but Infite was a good second :)

MARTINA! You need to review GD&TOP Baby Goodnight that's going to be released in 12 1/2 hours! 6PM Korean Time :D I hope they make mv for Don't Go Home too, since the performance was so cute and cuddly <3<3<3

15. Drinking is 20 korean age, 19 typical age.

Great review guys! I totally freaked when martina changed into this raunchy guy :D it brought back certain (disturbing) memories of some childhood friends. Seungri is still sexy….even if he has the role of a pedobear haha.

My vote goes for infinite, their fight scene is more…action packed…? Seungri's just a dance and it's nice to watch but Infinite has your attention from the get go.

16. Oh yeah and something impressive with Seungri is he wrote and composed on this album. He just didn't one song (not sure what that is since I don't have the CD booklet). So I'm very proud of him!

17. "What VVIP means?-Very Very Important Person"That's super-duper stupid (lol)…Ok!And what VVIP -what does this have with the whole theme of the video? VVIP is the Queen, Emperor, President…Mark Zuckerberg (xD) but somehow not and 10 old child!Or here we have the cliché -"you are special "<-maybe is that!
    That thing with the potion, i think is metaphorically!In the book, Alice grew in stature, but here it is metaphorically – years!And when u're older,normally u no longer walk with kid shoes :3 And don't forget-this is all dream!If it was real then the girl had to be naked-because all her clothes were torn!!!Dreams are craaazyyy somethimes!!!Like here-he's(Seungri) fighting four guys,and instead of like punching and kicking he does pirouette!!!(somehow i like that…xD)
    But that thing with te credit cards….ugh!Totally not cool!Nobody can't use them,because the PIN thing,and when everything is over u have to clean the floor because the whole is covered ,with you'r credit cards…!!!And if you don't find them all u will have to declare them stolen…

YG is the best!If you have not noticed ,most of the singers imitate the style of YG family members!!!

Simon u'r T-Shirts rulz!!!

Martina-"GD&TOP crushed them!They crushed them" is the best!!Hahaha like Draculla!!!

My VOTE is for INFINITE-"Before The Dawn"!

P.S how old is Seungri?I was thinking he's [email protected][email protected]

18. hahaha LOL at VVVIP.. the V in VVIP stands for his nickname V, Seungri is victory in Korean right? and his co-artists in YGE calls him V that is why. According to him it stands for V’s VIP ;not very very important person.. haha!

19. So proud of baby Panda. He's all grown up for real this time keke. I enjoy the song so much and love the live performance. The fight scene live is great. The video is super cute. With the little girl if you watch the ending it seems like she's supposed to be daydreaming everything. So I think it's her day dreaming that she's with Seungri and get his attention etc. from how it seems. So that doesn't make it too creepy lol.

20. So today im like ITS MONDAY!!! and my aunt goes "I know Pretty little lairs comes on today."
    So i look at her and i say: WHAT?! NO! Today means a new K-pop monday. BUT GET THIS i sit i watch half the video and my aunt gets mad at me for watching without her because she was making a sandwich. =/

OMG SIMON RUN!!!!! lol I loved that whole "garret wire routine" Martina pulls my aunt couldn't stop laughing.

I thought the "make it rain" part in the video was cute but it really isnt as cool as picking up a $100 anyway Infinite gets my vote this week.

21. Total no-brainer on the showdown: Infinite. No question whatsoever. Anyone who votes for Seungri is totally biased. "Before the Dawn" is epic and the fight scenes are amazing. (and sad that you didn't review that video this week, but I figured what with Martina's fangirly love for Big Bang it'd probably be Seungri so I'm not surprised =P)

I think the girl groups are getting a tad neglected lately. Maybe you should review one of the recent girl group releases. Like Secret's "Shy Boy". It's not brand new, but it's new enough to still be performed on all the music shows. Just a thought.

22. whoa. this video ssssooooo cute.

2000 vote for seungri's VVIP.

23. VViP of course. martina's right. baby seungri is not a baby anymore. but i'm still going to call him baby. lol

24. While I like the creativeness of Seungri's video, I am going to have to vote for Infinite because the choreography was more intense. I don't dislike either video though.

25. infinite's BTD!!!! :)

26. I actually liked the throwing card scene because it looked pretty haha xD
    I loved everyone expression when the cards were falling down~

27. Hahahaha!~ ROFL watching Martina transformed into Simon. And i thought i was the only one felt weird about the throwing credit cards scene. Hahaha!~

Anywaym about the showdown, as much as i love maknae Seungri, i think Inifinite has what it takes to fight handsome-ly. Hehehe!~

28. Haha! Love your Music Mondays, they make my day! :D
    Only thing was I was surprised at the lack of mention of Seungri's impersonation of his Big Bang hyungs around 0:34 but it was still hilarious (:
    As for the showdown this week, I think I'm going to have to go with Infinite's endless fight scene in Before The Dawn, because even though it was the main focus of the entire video and I was a little more than slightly confused by the whole concept of the MV, I thought their fighting seemed pretty impressive. (:

29. I go for infinitee~~~ :3 <3

30. I enjoyed this video! Haha at the potion part. Cheers for Simon in his zombie shirt and the SungKyunkwan Scandal chibi wallpaper on the laptop :D I liked the Big Bang parody part a lot too~

*Pirouette*

Voting for Infinite, the fight is more intense there and looks much better than Seungri's.