SHINee Replay – Kpop Music Mondays

June 13, 2011

Comments

Yay! We’ve always wanted to do this song! It’s a really, really good song. Really good! It’s really old also, but we think it’s one of the few Kpop songs that actually aged well. Not sure about you, but whenever we listen to Kpop songs, we really like them for the first couple of months, but then, after a while, we can’t listen to them anymore. We loved Miss A’s “Bad Girl, Good Girl” at first, but now we can’t listen to it anymore. Does anyone else get that feeling with Kpop songs? There are a rare few songs that escape this pattern of intensely-love-then-can’t-listen-to-ever-again, and SHINee’s Replay happens to be one of those songs. In fact, it might be our favorite SHINee song ever. It’s definitely better than “Hello,” and – even though we liked the dance for “Lucifer” more – we happen to prefer the song for Replay.

We’ve also gotta say, we’re quite impressed with what Kpop’s doing outside of Korea. There’s a lot of attention being paid to the SM Town Paris, as well as the impact of Kpop in Japan. Seriously, when we were in Japan for a couple of days, it was amazing how popular Kpop was there. The convenience stores had lots of Kpop magazines there, TVXQ was advertising something in the Japanese 7-11s, and we even saw some girls on the elevator watching to Super Junior’s “Bonamana” on their cellphones. Now we’re seeing SHINee and Girls’ Generation releasing tracks in Japan. SHINee’s also supposed to be performing in London pretty soon as well. When we first came to Korea three years ago, we didn’t know that much about Kpop at all; we didn’t hear about it when we were in Canada. We wonder if that would still be the same now. Looking at the stats for our website, Korea’s not even our #1 source of traffic. It counts for only roughly 12% of it. We know that it’s a bit difficult to trust the Korean media’s take on hallyu and the spread of Korean culture, because they’ll always be more likely to toot their own horn louder than usual, like a mother praising her child’s accomplishments, but – from an outsider’s perspective, seeing as we’re not Korean by blood, marriage, or even visa status – we’ve gotta say that we’re impressed as well.

So hooray to the Japanese version of Replay, which seems to have translated well into Japanese…we’re guessing. We don’t speak any Japanese at all. Wish we could give it a Japanese meter. Anyone here know what they’re saying? As for the Japanese in the song, you’d give it a __ out of 5? We’re curious if they say anything like Loverholic Robotronic Supersonic Hypertonic…cuz that would be great if they did! We’d assume that the Japanese has to be better than the use of English in the song: for the Kpop version, the target audience is Korean, and English is sprinkled in; for the Jpop version, we’re assuming that the target audience is Japanese, and the English is still sprinkled in (with little to no improvement). The Japanese is dominant in the Jpop version, though, so somebody better have done their homework.

Replay Macro

All The Boys Love Me

As for the video itself, we’re a bit confused with the story line here. Our best guess is this: all of the guys are doing their own thing, and then they see this girl while they are all doing their own thing. They each, separately, fall in love with her. At the end of the video, when they’re all in this random room talking to each other with MacBooks and acoustic guitars (what are they doing in that room, anyway?) she walks in, and they all awkwardly laugh. Somehow, by looking at her, they all come to the realization that they have a crush on the same girl. Is that right? That’s our best guess. If that’s what the video’s supposed to be about, then a) this girl has one wickedly busy schedule if she’s doing art class, dance class, coffee shop studying, and fashion modelling, but that’s just a quibble. B) What’s this room that she walked into? How does everyone start laughing? And, more importantly, wouldn’t she feel awkward, knowing that all of these guys totally have the hots for her and are nervously laughing in front of her? We’re guessing that maybe she’s happy, because she happened to wrap and entire Kpop group around her pinky finger. Dont’ hate the player, hate the game.

Also, in our last video on F.T. Island’s “Hello Hello” we joked about the Kprop shop and how the same things are being reused in different Kpop videos. Did you see what was reused in this video? Anyone? It was by another SM band. That’s right: it was from TVXQ’s “Before You Go”, when they use the Matrix cameras. See, back when they used it for the TVXQ video, we found it kinda funny. Sure, it was befitting the context, in that Yunho jumps up and shoots his gun off midair, so the matrix camera made sense. Here, though, using the matrix camera for a pirouette and an awkward basketball shot just seems…awkward. Matrix cameras are cool when used for action sequences, and should not be used every time somebody jumps.

Otherwise, we hope that everyone was impressed at the introduction of our new Kpop group, F-Art: Fantastic Artists Reaching for Top. We were inspired by all the names we saw on Soompi’s article on Kpop names. Names like MBLAQ, F.Cuz, CN Blue and such made it clear to us that Kpop bands must have ridiculous acronyms in order to qualify, so we made ours. F-Art. We’re artists at heart, and we’re reaching for Top, though Martina’s idea of Top might be different than Simon’s idea of it. That doesn’t matter. What does matter is that when we finally release our music video and album, make sure you buy it. We need to start thinking of a name for our fangroup as well. Maybe the Farticles? Get a group of you together and you should be called the Fart Cloud. P.S. yes, we’re adults and we still find fart jokes hilarious.

And on that note, since SM is doing so much in Japan now, we’re gonna recommend checking out Super Junior’s “Bonanama” single in Japan. It only seems fair, seeing how we saw girls in Japan watching Super Junior on their cellphones, and also seeing how we always tend to end off our WTF Contest videos by accidentally singing Bonamana. Hooray to Kpop in Japan! If you’re interested in buying the album, they ship internationally, so don’t worry about where you live. Yeah!

BONAMANA (SINGLE+DVD)(Japan Version)

Comments

SHINee Replay – Kpop Music Mondays

1. Big Bang

2. SHINEE. Shinee.

3. aish not my two favorite bands! okay im going to have to go with SHINee and stay a true shawol but BIGBANG was also great ^^

4. BIG BANG !!!

5. SHINEEEEEEE <3<3

6. BIGBANG!!!!!

7. I vote for Big Bang~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. martina!!!!! you let the wrong hand up! hehehehehe

9. Dude dude dude! since this is the jpop version, why dont you pick an awesome Jpop big bang song, lie Beautiful Hangover! thats an awesome video, and a great song :D

10. I’d have to say SHINee’s Japanese single is better than Big Bang’s Tonight. Replay is pretty much a straight Korean to Japanese release, while Tonight sounds more like a US release than Japanese, there’s so much English. I’m not complaining about that, I’m just saying Replay fits the Japanese qualification better than Tonight.

11. Awwww what a bouquet with a brick! >.< I know you SAID you liked the vid, but then, well you know. Anyway my vote goes to SHINee, I was into Jpop before Kpop so this totally works for me.
    Sorry but I think that your comments on their English are just a wee bit harsh, MVP? I wouldn't mind being someone's MVP…..Just sayin…^.~

12. Big Bang wins it no doubt ;D

13. Martina, your hair colour is awesome!!! You look so beautiful)
    Simon, sorry but i vote for BigBang;)

14. Park Bom screensaver!!! ;D And I love when Martina declares CN Blue as the winner and she keeps holding up an empty spot x)

15. shinee

16. big bang

17. Martina got confused with CN Blue on her left and FT Island on her right.

18. I will say this again cuz I really really really really really really want them to win… SHINEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. “U-Kiss don´t want to use me anymore” epic =D

Martina CNBlue is on the other side ;) but its okay, coz you look really really pretty today!

20. Shinee… !!! Thank you for your videos :DD

21. I vote for SHINee!!! :)

22. SHINEEE OFCOURSE

23. Thank you for the video Simon & Martina! I didn’t vote for it and voted for Sunny Hill because I didn’t think you went into kpop converted to jpop territory! XD

but anyway, I would like to thank Simon for clarifying what MVP stood for, I was so confused, I was like… what is THAT? D: but now I know, Most Valuable Player? pfffft… ok…. :D

For the showdown I would vote SHINee because to be honest I didn’t really like the Korean version of the VIDEO.~~ The song is nice in Korean or Japanese. – Seriously after watching the Japanese version I was really impressed with SHINee and I actually like them now. Whereas before I was just like… “SHINee… meh~” So yes, SHINee!
    (although I really liked Japanese version of Tonight aswell~~ GD’s English is awesome. 8D)

24. SHINee Replay FTW

25. Wow, global ESP!!!  I was listening to the korean version of this song THIS morning and was sad that you wouldn’t cover it because it was an older song!!!  I agree, this song is GREAT, one of my favorites and sounds good in Japanese, too (although I miss the “noona”).  Thanks for the video!  BTW. I’m Onew biased ;)

Voting for SHINee!!

26. The japanese in this song actually makes alot of sense and I like the transition it underwent. Comparing it to the original is a bit futile since they didn’t translate the context of the song word by word. So actually it’s not about pretty noona’s anymore, just about the girl they like. I think their japanese company made sure everything translates well and makes sense to the audience (except for the engrish ofc). As for the Japanese of this song…I would give it a 4.5 out of 5 since Jorge’s and Taemin’s Japanese pronunciation is just failtastic! 8D

27. The japanese in this song actually makes alot of sense and I like the transition it underwent. Comparing it to the original is a bit futile since they didn’t translate the context of the song word by word. So actually it’s not about pretty noona’s anymore, just about the girl they like. I think their japanese company made sure everything translates well and makes sense to the audience (except for the engrish ofc). As for the Japanese of this song…I would give it a 4.5 out of 5 since Jorge’s and Taemin’s Japanese pronunciation is just failtastic! 8D

28. I was actually just at SM Town Paris, best day of my life xD

Haha and although I’m older than quite a lot of fans, I fangirled with the best of them :’)
    Anyways, I digress, I’m going to have to go with SHINee for this one :3

29. I was actually just at SM Town Paris, best day of my life xD

Anyways, I digress, I’m going to have to go with SHINee for this one :3

30. Big Bang please!!!!!!!

31. You guys should put more videos of F-ART!!!!! I’m a fan already… I’m a proud farticles!!!

32. BIGBANG – Tonight!! BIGBANG is VIP!! YO!!

33. I’ll not let Martina be sad!! BIGBANG – Tonight!

34. Big Bang! XD

35. I’m a shawol!!!!
    SHINee

36. Shinee’ Replay was so much better! The japanese lyrics are so awesome and the video & dance is great too.

37. I’m a huge VIP and not even a SHAWOL but the Japanese version of Replay is better than tonight. I’m so sorry, GD-oppa. ;__;

38. I love SHINee as much as the next person but I’m going to have to give this one to BIGBANG! X3

39. I love SHINee as much as the next person but I’m going to have to give this one to BIGBANG! X3

40. Wow Shinee..? I wasn’t expected that because it was Kim Hyung Joong comeback and it’s j-pop… but anyway I’m still happy! ^^  and oh my god two Simons! This is so cool! And Martina you are a good dancer! Love your expression ^^
    I give my vote to BIGBANG! ^^ I love SHINee but Big Bang is the BEST! ^^