Super Junior M – Perfection: Kpop Music Mondays

March 14, 2011

Comments

This week we review Super Junior M’s “Perfection” for Kpop Music Mondays. What’s up with their hats?

Ok, before we begin, I’m worried that Super Junior fans might get a little upset. Our review isn’t really glowing. I mean, we like the song a lot. It’s a really catchy song, and we’ve been singing it a lot lately. It’s just that the video is underwhelming. See, our experience of Super Junior is primarily with “Sorry, Sorry”, and “Bonamana”. In both videos, they had an awesome dance that really stood out. This video, though, doesn’t really have a bombastically awesome dance. They’re dancing well throughout the whole video, but there’s no one move that will be remembered as the dance of the year. And so, since there isn’t really anything else in the video apart from dancing and a few funny hats, we’re not really impressed by the video. Yeah. The song is great; the video – not so much.

We also didn’t feel too great about the English in Super Junior M’s “Perfection.” From what we’ve heard Henry lived in Canada for a long time, so we’re not knocking his English, because it sounds perfect. The pronunciation is great, and the grammar is perfectly fine. So it’s not a technical matter that bothers us about the English. It’s just that the songwriter made the English rap just sooooooo cheesy! Uhhh! It felt like something you’d see in a high school video targeted to 10 year olds, or like what your teacher says when they’re trying to prove that they’re still cool. See, I’d rather have just a few phrases of English sprinkled throughout the song rather than an awkward rap that takes itself a bit too seriously. Usually, we can say that the use of English is cute in Kpop song, but since the English in this song is so well done, we’re judging it as we would judge that of fluent speakers, because they sound fluent, which is why we feel so icky about the mashup of cool English phrases.

So that’s it for now. Thanks go out again to JB and Annie from [닉쑤] Enjoy Your Happy Life~* for all the Korean subtitles. Yeah! And lastly, like we said, the song’s great – even if we don’t like the video – so if you’re interested in picking up the Super Junior M album you can do so by clicking on the banner below. Sweet! International shipping!

Comments

Super Junior M – Perfection: Kpop Music Mondays

1. Lol this was too cute. I loved Simon's protecting himself at the club dance lol so you did have something after all haha. And your rapping skills. Fo shizzle lol. Another Snoop fan? Lol. I was surprised to see a tie actually happen from the last vote.

2. Haha I excuse you guys fully ^^ (I'm saying this as a huge Super Junior stan, so yeah :P) Tbh I was voting for the video more for the sake of voting because hell yeah it's an SJM comeback MV we got to have this on Music Monday! and not so much of because I actually felt that it is a worthy video. But well, glad you guys made it (because I/we would have carried on spamming otherwise XD) and I really laughed at the body defense part that was pure brilliance.

I kinda wish you guys can do some oldies one day I really want to hear what you guys have to say about, say, It's You or No Other or Mirotic (but that's hard seeing how fast the K industry spews out new MVs ): ) How about a special "retro" Music Monday some day? 8D

• We're trying to find a way to do oldies in our videos. Perhaps a different show? :D

• I like the retro k-pop idea. Because I am a VIP, I would love to see Haru Haru on KPMM or Dirty Cash….ummm Tae wears a dress!

• totally agree! ^^
      -e.l.f. here too! ^^-
      i really do wish they did a vid on its you or no other :)

3. SUPER JUNIOR ALLL THE WAY!!!!!

4. i giggled so hard at this. XD "shots shots shots shots shots everybody" :D and how to protect yourself at a club lmao :D

5. I think FFFFFCUZ has the silliest hats. I would rather wear SJ's hat in public. >.>

6. Can I have your number? Can I have it? Can I have your number??? MadTV fans yeaaaaaaaah!!!
    Love your video as always guys ^o^

BTW… F.cuz is the most ridiculous… poor them… not even measuring to a fur hat… XD

• Ha! We were worried that reference might be a bit too old and that people wouldn't get it. MadTV yay!

7. That Kanye West part was great. Never ceases to make me laugh. Made my day.
    I'm not really concerned about the hats seeing as sometimes Kpop fashion doesn't make any sense. I'm just gonna say that G-Dragon wore a black hat very similar to these ones in the G-Market video. Trend starter?

Voting for F.Cuz because the fashion in that video is just wow.

8. I have to vote F.CUZ, their hats are really ugly and silly :S
    Awwww… Big Bang had to win :(
    Now I don't like Super junior's fans.
    Kisses :*

9. Definitely F.Cuz wins this one! At least, Super Junior M's hats seem to have a normal purpose (keep their heads warm so they don't catch a cold or something, which could jeopardize their singing career), F.Cuz's hats just look absurdly ridiculous!

And Simon, love your Captain Obvious shirt!

Hey, I have a totally unrelated question: could you guys feel last Friday's earthquake in South Korea, since you're in like one of the nearest countries?

• You know, we didn't feel it at all. We knew nothing about it until we saw it on the Internets.

10. I'm gonna have to say F.Cuz wins the "Silliest hat(s) worn in music videos award". I'm a big fan of both (SJM's were funny) but F.Cuz just had weird outfits. :/

11. F.CUZ!!!! SuJu have cool hats! Maybe they was cold ^^' Maybe I think that because I'm from Russia and we wear hats like that ^^
    I'm happy that Big Bang and SuJu win ^^ Thanks^^

12. F.cuz definitely has the worst hats..there is no world where those are right. Super Junior's hats merely makes me think "Ice fishing" and "Didn't Brittney wear one of those on Glee?"

oh and thank you Simon, I can not look at F.cuz's name and pronounce it correctly after watching you :P

• Good! I don't think anyone should pronounce their name properly because it's…so…weird!

13. "What's yo friend's attitude why she so damn rude HAHHHH?" I had tears in my eyes from laughter :') I always found that part of the song funny but that just…xD

I really love your videos :D It's great because I come home from school on a monday and have a new video to watch! Keep it up ♥

14. "girl, the back of your head is ridikulous"-haha