Teen Top – No More Perfume on You: Kpop Music Mondays

August 22, 2011

Comments

Let’s begin by saying that this is our least favourite Kpop video ever, that we’ve ever reviewed, ever. EVER. The first thing we thought of when we started looking closer at the video was this cat:

WTF

As you may recall from our Supa Luv review, we were really disturbed by the guy in the shower, who looked was acting like a pedophile. We were quickly corrected by swarms of angry people who told us that it was Eric from Shinhwa, and he can’t be a pedophile, because he’s Eric from Shinhwa! His purpose in the video wasn’t to gross out those who don’t know who he is (re: mostly everyone outside of Korea) but to appeal to the older women. Teen Top, in its essence, is a teenaged band. Their main demographic, as a result, would be teenagers. By including a sexy old guy, then women will like Teen Top and their music, because there was a sexy old guy in one of their videos. It makes perfect sense…in somebody’s mind. FYI, our next post is going to have a picture of John Cleese, because we find that our 50+ audience isn’t really that strong. Surely, having a picture of him will get the older demographic hooked!

Anyhow, Teen Top’s brilliant management decided to take this one step further. Now, those older women, the noonas, who have been hooked into loving the band because of a cameo appearance in a music video, have now transferred their love of older Eric to younger teenaged boys. The classic bait and switch! Oh you thought you’d get to be with this sexy older guy! Ha! No! Here’s a teenaged boy instead. Is anyone else getting uncomfortable with this? The older noona in the video is clearly unhappy with the exchange, since she looks utterly freaking miserable throughout the entirety of the video.

Pedonoona from Teen Top

Oh look at the joy in her eyes! She loves dating young boys!

So let’s all agree here: the marketing strategy here tried to overreach a bit, and in trying to appeal to a wider demographic, has crossed into some really creepy territory.

Next, what in the butterslaps is up with the terrible message of the song? Don’t wear perfume because my younger girlfriend will suspect me of cheating on her? Is the older girlfriend supposed to be ok with this, with the fact that her twerp of a boyfriend is blatantly cheating on his younger girlfriend? And he can tell her what she can and cannot wear? Is this really the message that a teenaged boyband – whose main audience is teenaged girls – really wants to send? Hey! Young girls, remember: Teen Top doesn’t really like you anymore. They’re into the older ladies now! Great way to alienate the people who support you the most!

Also, how about the fact that the scumbag blatantly breaks his younger girlfriend’s heart. Remember? The cute one that was introduced to all of the members of Teen Top, where they were all laughing together? Great way to crush that girl, douchebag. How easily do you think she’s going to be able to trust another guy in the future? How much of an awkward strain did you just put on all of the relationships she will have from now on? What did she do to deserve such horrendous treatment? Why couldn’t you call her beforehand and break up with her kindly? Instead, she sees you at the club with another woman, and all you do is smile at her like an inconsiderate ass?

Seriously. This song and video and marketing strategy are so royally messed up that this is without a doubt the worst video we’ve ever reviewed. There’s next to nothing good we can say about this, apart from the fact that the melody’s a bit catchy, but we’re so opposed to everything the song and video stand for that we can’t even enjoy the song at all. Teen Top’s management, stop this stupid crap. Give them some good songs they can all equally sing and dance to (rather than just having two main singers and what looks like a bunch of backup dancers), and stop trying to appeal to an older audience. You chose the name Teen Top, chose a bunch of teenaged boys to be your talent, so work with what you’ve been given. You can’t feed vegetarians meat, no matter how you try to season it, without making them sick.

Anyhow, on a less angry and upset note. Here are the bloopers from this week’s video! We were going to include that singing scene right after we said how singing about cheating on your girlfriend might make it acceptable, which is why Simon sings a song about robbing Martina’s house with his friend, Ronnie.

Comments

Teen Top – No More Perfume on You: Kpop Music Mondays

1. Martina, nonfat milk does totally cancel out the whipped cream and extra chocolate.  *plugs ears to keep from hearing anyone contradicting her*

2. SHINee are much better boyfriends then Teen Top and I am a noona!

3. SHINee are much better boyfriends then Teen Top and I am a noona!

4. Should’ve reviewed Itaewon Freedom :) No cheating there, lol. I am going to keep suggesting every week until it finally makes it, lol.

5. you should review this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjSJunJUzSI so HILARIOUS ^^ Itaewon Freedom by UV ^^

• lol they love Itaewon Freedom they have been trying to get people to vote it up for months.

6. Teen Top:  Cheating:  Who says it’s not awesome?

Us:  Yeah….pretty much everybody in the entire world.  Kthnxbai.

7. i definitely say shinee would make a better boyfriend. yes. all of them. (taemin oppa for the win~<3)

8. SHINee!!! :)) Ahhh sooo cute :)

9. The melody is really good and I totally loved it, but when I saw the video and read the translation… I feel totally bad for liking it >< Teen Top managers, what is WRONG with you!?

10. it is amazing how if a song had lyrics like ” going to da club to hang” they ban it saying it will harm the kids becuse they arnt mature enough to know better, but a song about cheating on your girlfriend in a club is ok and not gonna affect the minds of kids at all even if it is a confusing subject for ppl of all ages

11. noona noona nooooonaa~~~ that part got stuck in my head >.< I was dumbfounded when watching the mv with subs….first it was all: "Awwww~" It reminded me of Replay by SHINee when they also talk about their pretty noona gf but this…wow….as soon as it got to the perfume part and WHY she shouldnt wear it…0.0 WTF R U DOING??? ^^ and then he got his gf the SAME perfume??? D: They shouldve had that girl punch him in the end….geez…i thought it wud be about not wearing perfume because she doesnt have to try so hard cuz she's so pretty…just use soap noona….you already smell awesome! ㅋㅋㅋ their management sucksssssssssss and that guys winking thing at the end was neukki~~~~ gross…SHINEE SHOULD WIN!!!!!

12. noona noona nooooonaa~~~ that part got stuck in my head >.< I was dumbfounded when watching the mv with subs….first it was all: "Awwww~" It reminded me of Replay by SHINee when they also talk about their pretty noona gf but this…wow….as soon as it got to the perfume part and WHY she shouldnt wear it…0.0 WTF R U DOING??? ^^ and then he got his gf the SAME perfume??? D: They shouldve had that girl punch him in the end….geez…i thought it wud be about not wearing perfume because she doesnt have to try so hard cuz she's so pretty…just use soap noona….you already smell awesome! ㅋㅋㅋ their management sucksssssssssss and that guys winking thing at the end was neukki~~~~ gross…SHINEE SHOULD WIN!!!!!

13. noona noona nooooonaa~~~ that part got stuck in my head >.< I was dumbfounded when watching the mv with subs….first it was all: "Awwww~" It reminded me of Replay by SHINee when they also talk about their pretty noona gf but this…wow….as soon as it got to the perfume part and WHY she shouldnt wear it…0.0 WTF R U DOING??? ^^ and then he got his gf the SAME perfume??? D: They shouldve had that girl punch him in the end….geez…i thought it wud be about not wearing perfume because she doesnt have to try so hard cuz she's so pretty…just use soap noona….you already smell awesome! ㅋㅋㅋ their management sucksssssssssss and that guys winking thing at the end was neukki~~~~ gross…SHINEE SHOULD WIN!!!!!

14. For some reason this music video just seems like another example of Korea’s double standards: both in the music industry and in general :( But even I think having a song about cheating on two women (and of different age, omg) is a bit much for Korea.

15. BEST MUSIC MONDAY EVER! (゚∀゚)/
    When I realised what the song was about, I felt physically sick. I used to like Teen Top, but this just left me so disappointed and angry… I’d rather not waste my time on them anymore. There are much better groups out there that don’t promote hurting people. :]

So of course it’s SHINee all the way. ♥

BTW, you look gorgeous in this vid Martina! (・∀・)

16. BEST MUSIC MONDAY EVER! (゚∀゚)/

So of course it’s SHINee all the way. ♥

BTW, you look gorgeous in this vid Martina! (・∀・)

• You shouldn’t think about them like this. They didn’t write this song :( It’s a choose of their management. They are only like actors

• Excuse me? People are entitled to their own opinions you know. Perhaps you shouldn’t tell people what they should or shouldn’t be thinking. So rude!

I’m not hating on them as individuals (it’s not like I know them), but if you’re using the excuse that it’s their management’s fault, then unless their management changes I still wouldn’t have any reason to support them as a group.

It’s not like I listen to pop music for its upstanding morality, but I’m not going to try and force myself to support to a group that’s promoting cheating. I don’t agree with the message they’re putting out in this video, so I won’t support them. Simple.

• if you don’t like it then don’t bother watching them. Simple.

• I’m a dedicated Teen Top fan, and I’m not too proud of what they display here, but please don’t hate on Teen Top because of this. They are truly talented. If you want to hate on anyone, hate on their management team. I’m sure there were some replacements after the reaction to this song & music video.

17. BEST MUSIC MONDAY EVER! (゚∀゚)/

So of course it’s SHINee all the way. ♥

BTW, you look gorgeous in this vid Martina! (・∀・)

18. LMAO, I wasn’t expecting you to pull out ‘Hello Hello’ I feel cheated every time I think o that video realizing my boyfriend isn’t in Shinee. What I am trying to say is Shinee hands down!

I am really glad that you guys threw the gauntlet down on the people who thought making this song/video was a good idea. I feel bad for the boys, I am sure they are nice.

19. Shinee Oppas!!!!:DD

20. “M’lord I beg you to reconsider
    You’re fired!
    Very wise decision m’lord”
    bahahahahahahahahahahahahaha xD

But anyways!
    Holy crap!!! what a horrible message they’re sending!!!
    and koreans are really self conscious aren’t they? with their surgeries and always trying to be trendy
    especially to the girls who really look up to boy bands this is clearly not the type of message they should be receiving D;
    hopefully teen tops management sees your video and reevaluates what their image should be :T
    and of course SHINEE :D/

21. shinee, hands down

22. lol you guys are so mean, Shinee in Hello!!!!!!!!!!!
    (I don’t even like Shinee)

23. shinee`s
    of curse
    poor teen top
    nobody(girl) liked his video
    but chunji see handsome on that video
    but i love more taemin oppa

24. SHINee!!

25. SHINee!!

26. SHINee!!

27. omg omg omg I so liked this!! XD

28. omg omg omg I so liked this!! XD

29. So, I’ve been thinking for a while and I’ve discovered what has happened here.
    This video looks like a preparation for their next video, which should be a ballad or something in which is said that Chunji was dating the young girl but she tricked him with one of his friends (I’ld say CAP, because he looks like if he had not much motivation and that would be because chunji discovered that the girl was cheating him and made CAP dance and sing a song to hurt the feelings of the young girl and hit her in the face with a trick she would have not thought or… something like that.) And the song would be about his friend’s history and how does he feel like he has lost the love of her life (which happened to be a who**) and, so.
    (The idea is as clear as something like this could be in my mind, but maybe I’ve messed it all up with the explanation) xD

• I totally get what you’re saying. Like CAP let Chunji go along with the cheating thing because he liked the younger girlfriend. So when she sees Chunji cheating, she runs to CAP for comfort. The song will be something like, I’d never do something like what he did to you.

30. Ahahahaha, this review was awesome. I’m glad you guys didn’t try and tone it down for any Teen Top fans out there. SHINee gets my vote!

31. SHINee >//.//<

is anyone actually gonna vote for teen top?

• I think that was Simon and Martina’s point in putting them up against SHINee. lol

I think Teen Top shows a lot of potential, but their management team is completely spoiling it.

32. SHINee >//.//<

is anyone actually gonna vote for teen top?

33. Haha the way you did this video was hilarious. I really did not like the video at all especially after reading the lyrics. I think my mouth was on the floor for like five minutes. The song is really catchy I cannot deny that but the message… I have no words. I believe SHINee without a doubt are the ideal boyfriends. If Teen Top’s management can somehow repair the douchebag boyfriend image they’ve created for them I will be more than happy to listen to them again.

• i felt that way too…they ruined their image… :( but i still like the beat of the song ^^ but the lyrics and the video is a NO-NO

34. SHINee SHINee SHINee SHINee!!!!!!
    but my sister who is rebelious and only 8 and doesn’t understand what cheating is choose TeenTop. I’m so dissapointed in her

35. SHINee SHINee SHINee SHINee!!!!!!

36. SHINee SHINee SHINee SHINee!!!!!!

37. SHINee SHINee SHINee SHINee!!!!!!

38. SHINee without a doubt =)  I mean are there any person who likes this MV and the song’s meaning =( REALLY!! any girl at least. it’s so .. arrghh . I couldn’t even watch the whole MV more than once. creepy smile Chunji all the time. I love Supa Luv and Clap but this is overboard I don’t know about the future releases.

39. You guys were way too harsh on teen top
    They’re only teenagers
    And why would u put them against shinee
    sooooo unfair T_T

40. You guys were way too harsh on teen top
    They’re only teenagers
    And why would u put them against shinee
    sooooo unfair T_T

• They even said that this wasn’t aimed at Teen Top themselves but rather their management team…Teen Top obviously has no control over what they sing. It’s the message they were disappointed in.