The Best Kpop Songs for a Workout

March 25, 2014

Comments

Hey guise!

This isn’t our typical Kpop Music Monday, but we like to switch things up a bit from time to time. We’ve been on a bit of a health kick lately, and have talked about our somewhat healthy lifestyle in a few videos. For our latest video on Our Morning Routine, the topic came up of talking about our Workout Playlist, so we figured this would be the best time to do so. Booya!

We talked a lot about our Kpop Workout Playlist, but we’ve got a bunch of non-Kpop songs as well that we listen to when we work out. Here’s a list of them, along with links to the vids on YouTube, if you feel like watching em!

A Sample of Simon’s Playlist

Japandroids “The House That Heaven Built”
–Great song for both a workout and a run. Totally gets me pumped, especially after reading dumb stuff on the internet, I totally feel like shouting “anyone wanna bring you down/ Tell em all to go to hell!” Quite cathartic.

The Knife “Full of Fire”
–Warning! This is a seriously WTF video. I didn’t even get to the end of it. I just really like the song. It really fits my running pace, and it’s got a bizarre dark energy vibe to it that really puts the fire in my heels. Is that what old people say? Stop judging me!

Pharell “Happy”
–Hey! A non-grumpy song! It’s great for running as well. Better for running during the day than running at night, though, I think. Also helps me keep a great pace. Great for the end of the run when I can barely lift my legs anymore and I feel like I look like a toddler trying to walk: it keeps my feet moving. Fun stuff.

Benny Benassi “No Matter What You Do”
–Probably one of my favourite songs of all time. It’s my power song for any moment. Tired from running? Play this, boi! About to bench a bagillion pounds? Play this, foo! I could fight a dragon listening to this song. Nothing gets me quite as pumped. Warning, though: another WTF video. I only saw it for the first time today and gave up halfway through…

M.I.A “Y.A.L.A”
–Great song for fart-licking! Especially when the chorus kicks in. Run a regular pace for the verse, sprint your ass off for the chorus. I do find the rapping in the verses rather silly, though, and the two of us make fun of it all the time:

I’m the Spuuuuud-gee!
My fur is smuuuuud-gee!
Don’t hold a gruuuudge-G
Cuz you can’t buuuuudge-me.
Hey I’m the Meeeeeemers
I am a dreeeeeamer
You’re just a screeeeeamer,
whenevs I preeeeen…err?

Still a great song, though.

A Sample of Martina’s Playlist

Electric Six “Danger, High Voltage”
–One of my all time favourite bands, who were just as awesome and energetic live. This song gets you up and dancing and shamelessly shaking your head violently to the chorus despite all the people watching you. It’s best not to watch this music video unless you’re prepared for an oddly sexual video. I mean odd. Like glowing electric light bulb boobs and crotches. You’ve been warned! BUT THE SONG ROCKS!!!

Death From Above 1979 “Sexy Results”
–A great beat for lifting weights and doing glute kicks. It’s not a very fast beat so you can control your lifts for every other beat or to the beat if you please. I like it for those glute kicks (the one when you are on all fours and curling one leg up to your chest and then kicking out) because it’s the perfect beat. Also, I like sexy sounding sounds to motivate me, it makes me lift weights with more joy and with less grudge towards the fact that I am indeed exercising. HAHA! Sexy workout music is like going dancing at a club to a great song except that you’re working out…at a club…to a song. Plus, DAT COWBELL SOLO!

Crystal Castles “Vanished”
–I use this song as an example simple because I use this song for my intensive jump rope sessions. For the days that I don’t run to get my cardio in, I jump rope between weight lifting and abs so that my heart rate doesn’t drop to low. I jump to the beat for as long as I humanly can but I could have chosen any song off of all the Crystal Castle albums. This band is freakin’ amazing and I actually like every single song they have ever made. Like ever. Angry? Crystal Castles. Depressed? Crystal Castles. Happy? Crystal Castles?

Jamiroquai “White Knuckle Ride”
— OOH! An official music video! Finally! This is a funktastic song that just gets me in the workout mood. I often start my workout with this song to get me into the mood as I head towards the gym. It’s a great beat for a warm up jog or some light biking to get your heart rate up and if I’m not using it for that I use it for sit ups. But whoa…the video kind of sucks for this awesome song.

Nine Inch Nails “The Hand That Feeds”
— There are a whole lot more NIN and various other rock songs on my workout playlist (like Korn, Deftones, 24Hours, Telepathy, Gogostar) but I wanted to include this song because it has a great build up that I can anticipate. I use this for planking which is a horrible horrible invention made to torture people. I stupidly tried to do the “Hollywood Ab Blast” workout on my Nike app which was only 15 minutes long. 15 minutes of hell. 15 minutes of you flailing on a mat like a fish out of water while trying to balance your side plank while also doing flapping V things with your legs. Looks soooo easy when the instructor shows you how to do it. Point is, this song allows me to hold my plank for the 1 minute I’m supposed to because I’m angry at having to do the planking and NIN guides me through that anger like a spirit animal. A lovely, angry, vampire/Snape-look-a-like spirit animal.

Martina’s Bonus K-pop round: 2NE1 “Hate You”, GD&TOP “Oh Yeah”, Beenzino “Boogie On & On”, MBLAQ “Oh Yeah”

—–

So let us know what you think! Did we miss out on any super awesome songs? We need more recommendations! We’ve heard our playlists for a long time now, and the songs are starting to lose their effect on us. We need moar!

Speaking of moar, we have moar video! Some bloopers, in fact. Check em out!

And, lastly, make sure you click on this button right here for not only more videos, but for more muscles and less fats!

Comments

The Best Kpop Songs for a Workout

1. everytime I go to the gym this is the one song that gets me go-in (like SERIOUSLYXD weights OR treadmill, don’t matter, it’s done.

2. I love listening to Drunken Tiger’s “DoDoo Doo Doo Wop Ba Ba Lu” when I work out xD so good!

3. Running playlist: Vance Joy’s Riptide; Clean Bandit’s Rather Be; Awkwafina’s NYC Bitche$; Tyler, The Creator’s Tamale; Block B’s Nanrina; Jay-Z & Kanye West’s Niggas in Paris; Dumbfoundead’s Damnit Duke; EXO’s Growl; Traphik’s remix of Niggas in Paris; T.O.P.’s Turn it Up; Dumbfoundead’s Ganghis Khan; J-Reyez’s Chiggas in Paris; Kiss&Cry’s Domino Game; Diplo’s Biggie Bounce (TWRK Remix); Block B’s Very Good; GD’s Crooked; Eminem’s ‘Till I Collapse; Eminem’s It’s Over.

Mostly rap but I regulate my breathing with the rappers and so it helps me run longer and at a higher pace.

4. :D this is somewhat unrelated but have you guys tried blogilates? I lurrve cassey’s workouts and she’s a devil!! but a good devil ;D

• I love and hate her! She is amazing but too happy when I am just about to die -_-

5. I’ve been scrolling the comments up and down collecting amazing songs for running for the last 40 minutes. Thx y’all! I’ll throw in my favourites:
    K-pop Top 3:
    1. 2ne1 “I am the best”
    2. GD&TOP “High high”
    3. Psy “Right now”
    Non-kpop oldies but goodies top 3:
    1. Outkast “B.O.B”
    2. Klaxxons “Magick”
    3.Editors “Papillon”

6. I ride my bike to the harbor/beach about two cities away during my two hour lunch break, and usually on my way there I listen to soft, pop, or alternative Japanese rock (ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION, supercell –nonvocaloid-vocals, Deco*27 –nonvocaloid-vocals, Base Ball Bear, etc) because it really compliments the beauty of scenery and each day while I’m heading there.

On my trek BACK however, I’m blasting Kpop. Especially since heading back is now hills or gradual inclines the entire way. The song that really helps me keep at it when I feel like giving up is “We Don’t Stop” by FIESTAR. The chanting of the lyrics as it builds to the end really gives me motivation to keep pumping as I feel like quitting.

7. My favourite workout tracks aren’t very fast (probably where I’m going wrong!)
    Shy Boy – Secret
    Shake it Up – Seo In Guk
    Mister – Kara
    Up – Epik High
    Fantastic Baby – Big Bang
    Roly Poly – T-Ara

8. For workout music I really like Psy’s Gentleman, this song (dun rly know who this guy is?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLPLgJqeZJw as well as LMFAO and some Pendulum. yay. Also G-dragons heartbreaker. Good for exercise bike stuff.

9. haha I know how you feel >..> lol guess I know where I’m going tomorrow XD x x x

10. The first thing I do when I go gym is use the rowing machine. For nearly an hour >.> My arms are dead afterwards :D But for that, I use the non-stop japanese mix that GG came out with last year.

After that though, I just shuffle >.> x x x

11. I listen to all kpop at the gym. In fact, I actually usually watch the music videos too because it’s more distracting than whatever’s on the TVs. Here goes! For the treadmill, I’m not supposed to run because of back and tendon issues, so I just speed walk like an old lady! I usually do 3 faster songs and then one slightly slower song, then 3, then 1, then 3, then one much slower song for a cool down. The current lineup is Humanoids (TVXQ), Lipstick/Funny Hunny (Orange Caramel – I go back and forth each time), Beautiful Target (B1A4), Pierrot (JYJ – this is the only one without a music video but the song is the perfect tempo), Lucifer (Shinee), Bling Bling (Dal Shabet), Standing Still, (U-kiss), It’s Over (Lee Hi), The Chaser (Infinite), Be Mine (Infinite), and finish off with Incredible (Junsu) which always gets me pumped for the end. Cool down song is Mirotic (TVXQ). For weights I love BAP – Warrior, No Mercy or Power. All fantastic with great shout-a-long-able parts for extra motivation :D

12. Has anyone else mentioned 2NE1’s I AM THE BEST?? If you hate working out like me, this is the song for you. It will motivate the unmotivated when exercising to do their best so that they can be the best.

13. Great video guys! I love listening Rain´s 30sexy while working out at home, I just keep singing yea I’m dirty sexyyy ooops 30 sexy XD. It’s funny because my lovely kitty stares at me while I’m doing weird faces trying to keep my breath…
    I also listen Capsule’s song they are great and I love them, my favorite songs are I’m feeling you, spider, sugarless girl remix, glider and fruits clipper. They are one my favorite japanese bands after Miyavi of course (I recommend Ahead of the light for working out, guitar plus electronic beats fires me up).
    Thank you so much for your incredible work, I send you greats of love from Mexico and I hope you keep doing this for a long while. You are awesome

14. This video changes from the usual KMM and that is a great idea (expecially because I started to think about re-doing work-out lately, but I’m just too lazy xD)

For some ideas of motivational songs: Bad Boys and Time is Up by Led Apple is quite great to do squats. Hearbeat from 2PM is also great for abs. For running, 2NE1 is awesome (especially The Baddest Female and I am the Best) it makes me feel so awesome and gorgeous (but in reality I am all sweaty and almost fainting xD). MBLAQ “Oh Yeah” and “Mona Lisa” too. And “Huh” and “Ready Go” from 4Minutes too.

As for non Kpop song, Work by Ciara is quite great to run or doing abs. Any Shakira song is great too. And Bella from Maitre Gims (and now, all the French here are going to laugh at me, but this song is highly rhythmic, with a latino vibe, and I can’t resist to that kind of rythm). And the majority of the kabilian songs have a fast rythm, which is great.

And for all the bad comments, as we say “Haters gonna hate”. The most important thing is to do what you like, and not to do what other people wants you to do. :)

15. Hold up, Martina is a fan of Nine Inch Nails, Korn and Deftones? Waaay too curious about what other songs from these bands you work out/listen to; Please share!
    Korn’s “Coming Undone” is the perfect “I’m on the brink of death from working out but I’m still going to do crunches like a f****** boss” song LOL

16. the only kind of “work out” I do is swimming, I don’t get to choose the music playing in the gym pool :( are there underwater mp3 players? I don’t know who or what assembles their playlist but I’m not a big fan of their taste in music…

• yes I found some on amazon, pretty cool! but I can’t afford them :/ I just have to keep playing my music in my head :P

17. hmm interesting list I like mine are
    U-kiss stop girl
    MFBTY- sweet dreams
    Big bang -fantastic baby
    Usher- Scream
    Queen- another bites the dust
    G dragon-crooked
    Pharrell- Happy
    Lady Gaga- Just dance
    Salt n Pepa- none of your business fyi is great to kick box with get all your stress out on the bag :)
    Michael Jackson They dont really care about us
    Marc Anthony vivir mi vida and more songs but i didn’t want to take up alot of space lol.
    Love you guys your humor is caught me and made me suscribe to your channels keep up the good work :)

18. Before my doctor banned me from the treadmill for a while (ankle probably needs reconstructing+former dancer+hyper-flexibility=9 out of 10 pain on the treadmill) I found that most ANY Kpop would keep me at a good pace. The best? “ADTOY” for sure, “Unbreakable”, “Run Devil Run”, “Ocean of Light” and “Sherlock”. When I needed to slow down “One Minute Back” and “Symptoms” by Shinee. Now that I can’t run *crysobcry* I have to bike I watch dramas and go as fast as I can. Nothing like Kim Soo Hyun to make me go faster ;-)

• Oh yeah. If nothing else it distracts you from pain and lack of oxygen, lol! For me, I also see what shape I should be in do I also get some dancer’s shame going as well.

19. Haha, three of those are on my own work-out playlist. Including Sexy Love which I was hoping was on your guys’.

20. I cannot listen to k-pop music while jogging. I always want to dance while hearing it. I rather like listening to someone talking like in a podcast or something like that.

21. Do you know a website where I can look at the BPM of K-Pop songs? Preferably where I can sort them for a specific BPM?

Lately I worked a lot on bettering my running form to avoid injury, as I have unfortunately weak knees so I have to look out for things like that. Anyways, a good running form is around 180 steps per minute, which you can regulate with a playlist with a uniform BPM. As I am quite short it isn´t really hard to do more but smaller steps, but I would recommend it for you too! It not only protects you from repetitive injuries, it also helps you get a better performance.

I run currently to a playlist with 170 BPM but I am slowly working up to 180. I use jog.fm to search for songs with specific BPMs (and you can directly use the playlists in spotify!). Unfortunately no K-Pop there :(

22. Lipservice- Yum Yum Yum
    2ne1- I am the best
    2ne1- Crush
    GG- Mr Mr
    Orange Caramel- Catallena
    BesTie- Pit-a-pat
    BesTie- Love Options
    Anything by Crayon Pop XD
    G.P Basic- Game
    E.X.I.D – I feel good

23. Teen Top’s Rocking and Miss Right are definitely the best for working out ^_^

24. Loving the Idiotape song! Some of my workout songs include..

N-Train “Come back to me”
    Kim Hyun Joong, “Unbreakable”
    Perfume, “Spending all my time”
    Nanne, “Hornen I Pannan”, “Om Du Var Min”, and “Hall Om Mig”
    S.H.E. “Shero”
    Tasty, “You know me”
    U-KISS, “Neverland”
    Little Boots, “Remedy”
    Usher, “More”

25. Neverland by UKISS is amazing for working out, also Voodoo Doll by VIXX, Lucifer by SHINee and Catch Me by TVXQ are good too :D you guys are awesome :)

26. Ah loved this guys! Such a good way to get to know new bands and songs! Thumbs up from me!! Sexy, Free and Single is a must!!!

I have so many work out songs but some of my favourite work out songs has to be:
    1 -2ne1 “I am the Best”
    2 – Infinite “Destiny”
    3 – Super Junior “Opera” & “Perfection Jap ver”
    4 – F(x) “Electric Shock” NA NA NA NA NA
    5 – CNBLUE “I’m Sorry” (The chorus is great for running)
    6 – Finally B.A.P’s “Excuse Me” – Best song it just makes me feel like – “HURR LETS GO!!!! GET OUT OF MY WAY I AM WORKING OUT!! HURRR”

Great vid guys !!

27. I like running so any fast song is good.
    Some of my favorite songs on my playlist:
    1. Action – Nu’est
    2. Power – B.A.P
    3. Doradoradora – U-Kiss
    4. Electric shock – f(x)
    5. Shock – Beast
    6. Baby I’m Sorry – B1A4

I also have some of the songs you mentioned in this video. One that caught my interest is Idiotape “0805” I’m gonna add it to my playlist!!

28. I don’t work out much but I jog with my dog everyday ^^
    I always love to listen fast paced songs when I jog so these are my favs at the moment:’

Kpop: 2NE1- CRUSH (Makes me feel badass XD), 2NE1- Hate You, Big Bang- Still Alive, B.A.P- No Mercy/Warrior/Power (B.A.P is really good for working out).

Not kpop: League of Legends- Vi Theme (this is game song but it’s kickass song), Tune Up- Ravers Fantasy, Pendulum- Granite/Watercolour/Hold your colour.. I also listen lot of nightcore and dubstep remixes ^^ I listen really random songs.. I just noticed ^^

29. My “workout” list consists of K-pop songs that I’ve learned or am learning the choreography to. I don’t really do typical gym workout things. I may suck tremendously at the choreo but it’s fun to do and has me dying after an hour or two. At least it keeps me moving and not glued to a computer screen being a potato.

Choreo Completely(but still fail miserably at) Learned

Love Like Oxygen – SHINee
    Exo – History

Never Gonna Happen but I try anyway
    Growl – Exo
    Want You Back, Bad Boy – 100%
    Shaking Heart – C-Clown

There are plenty of others too. I like doing this because it is like working out your brain with memorization and lots of cardio at the same time.

I love the songs on your playlists too! Especially the MFBTY Sweet Dream. I cannot get enough of that song lately.

30. 1. Breaking Benjamin: Diary of Jane, I Will Not Bow
    15. GD&TOP: Oh Yeah
    16. Jay Park: Body2Body, Joah
    17. Miryo: Dirty
    18. 4Minute: Huh, Mirror Mirror,
    19. BEAST: Bad Girl, Breathe, It Wasn’t Me, Mystery, Special
    20. Block B: Nillili Mambo, Very Good

Songs that make me feel like moving or just songs that I like and make me forget I’m exercising. XD

31. Just listening to Junsu raises my heart rate, can’t image what it would do to me if I exercised while listening to him. LOL

32. This is perfect! I just started doing a workout (Shaun T’s Hip Hop Abs; it’s so much fun!) and dieting and stuff. I could really use some workout worthy K-Pop songs for going on jogs and stuff! Love it! ADTOY is definitely a great workout song. I don’t think I have any in particular at the moment that I use to work out.. but this video totally inspired me to get a work out playlist going! I will definitely be working on that after work tonight. >:D

On that note, I want to thank you guys so much! Not only have you introduced me to so much K-Pop that I might’ve missed out on and taught me a lot about South Korea and such, now you’re totally motivating me to work out more. So I thank you guys! The last time I tried to work out, it didn’t work out so well. (HA so punny :P) But now I’m just going to remind myself of this video and rewatch it to remotivate myself if I feel myself giving up. So I thank you, Simon and Martina! <3

33. Its not Kpop but, Famliy Force 5 has a song called chainsaw. Its GOOD!

34. When 2ne1’s I Am The Best comes on I unconsciously flip my hair bob my head and end up dancing instead.

35. shinee’s lucifer tho!!! and t-ara’s lolly polly ;)

36. Have ya’ll thought about participating in marathons??

37. My running music is Blue Stahli – Takedown… I could kill a dragon while that song is playing. But I wouldn’t kill one though… dragons are cool. xD

Anyway any video game music is really good for running. :)

• Video game music! I personally love the songs from Sonic Adventure 2: Battle; songs like Live and Learn and City Escape ALWAYS get me moving and trying to run like Sonic. XD

38. I love these list-type videos! In terms of kpop, Fantastic Baby is my go-to workout song. Disclosure’s Settle is my favourite album to workout to though. If I’m on the treadmill, I find I run better if I have something visual to distract me (from feeling like death), so I usually queue up a MV playlist or use the time to catch up on variety/talk shows, which make the time fly by!

• OH YES! Disclosure! When a fire starts to burn…right..and it starts to spread…something something something attitude home. You something something something right?

39. Athena by TVXQ is a great song to workout, especially at the very end if you’re running! I found it always pushes me that last little bit (before I crumble into a gross sweaty mess)
    Enjoyed the video, guys! Thinking of adding Lipstick to my playlist now (:

40. A part of Lipstick’s dance really remind me of ceili (ie Irish folk dancing) Its the “oh my oh my” part. :D I actually wish Kpop have more define beat for my ballroom stuff, like some songs def have a tango feel but the beat was all over the place. Oh well, I guess I just have to blues dance to most of it.