The Best Kpop Songs for a Workout

March 25, 2014

Comments

Hey guise!

This isn’t our typical Kpop Music Monday, but we like to switch things up a bit from time to time. We’ve been on a bit of a health kick lately, and have talked about our somewhat healthy lifestyle in a few videos. For our latest video on Our Morning Routine, the topic came up of talking about our Workout Playlist, so we figured this would be the best time to do so. Booya!

We talked a lot about our Kpop Workout Playlist, but we’ve got a bunch of non-Kpop songs as well that we listen to when we work out. Here’s a list of them, along with links to the vids on YouTube, if you feel like watching em!

A Sample of Simon’s Playlist

Japandroids “The House That Heaven Built”
–Great song for both a workout and a run. Totally gets me pumped, especially after reading dumb stuff on the internet, I totally feel like shouting “anyone wanna bring you down/ Tell em all to go to hell!” Quite cathartic.

The Knife “Full of Fire”
–Warning! This is a seriously WTF video. I didn’t even get to the end of it. I just really like the song. It really fits my running pace, and it’s got a bizarre dark energy vibe to it that really puts the fire in my heels. Is that what old people say? Stop judging me!

Pharell “Happy”
–Hey! A non-grumpy song! It’s great for running as well. Better for running during the day than running at night, though, I think. Also helps me keep a great pace. Great for the end of the run when I can barely lift my legs anymore and I feel like I look like a toddler trying to walk: it keeps my feet moving. Fun stuff.

Benny Benassi “No Matter What You Do”
–Probably one of my favourite songs of all time. It’s my power song for any moment. Tired from running? Play this, boi! About to bench a bagillion pounds? Play this, foo! I could fight a dragon listening to this song. Nothing gets me quite as pumped. Warning, though: another WTF video. I only saw it for the first time today and gave up halfway through…

M.I.A “Y.A.L.A”
–Great song for fart-licking! Especially when the chorus kicks in. Run a regular pace for the verse, sprint your ass off for the chorus. I do find the rapping in the verses rather silly, though, and the two of us make fun of it all the time:

I’m the Spuuuuud-gee!
My fur is smuuuuud-gee!
Don’t hold a gruuuudge-G
Cuz you can’t buuuuudge-me.
Hey I’m the Meeeeeemers
I am a dreeeeeamer
You’re just a screeeeeamer,
whenevs I preeeeen…err?

Still a great song, though.

A Sample of Martina’s Playlist

Electric Six “Danger, High Voltage”
–One of my all time favourite bands, who were just as awesome and energetic live. This song gets you up and dancing and shamelessly shaking your head violently to the chorus despite all the people watching you. It’s best not to watch this music video unless you’re prepared for an oddly sexual video. I mean odd. Like glowing electric light bulb boobs and crotches. You’ve been warned! BUT THE SONG ROCKS!!!

Death From Above 1979 “Sexy Results”
–A great beat for lifting weights and doing glute kicks. It’s not a very fast beat so you can control your lifts for every other beat or to the beat if you please. I like it for those glute kicks (the one when you are on all fours and curling one leg up to your chest and then kicking out) because it’s the perfect beat. Also, I like sexy sounding sounds to motivate me, it makes me lift weights with more joy and with less grudge towards the fact that I am indeed exercising. HAHA! Sexy workout music is like going dancing at a club to a great song except that you’re working out…at a club…to a song. Plus, DAT COWBELL SOLO!

Crystal Castles “Vanished”
–I use this song as an example simple because I use this song for my intensive jump rope sessions. For the days that I don’t run to get my cardio in, I jump rope between weight lifting and abs so that my heart rate doesn’t drop to low. I jump to the beat for as long as I humanly can but I could have chosen any song off of all the Crystal Castle albums. This band is freakin’ amazing and I actually like every single song they have ever made. Like ever. Angry? Crystal Castles. Depressed? Crystal Castles. Happy? Crystal Castles?

Jamiroquai “White Knuckle Ride”
— OOH! An official music video! Finally! This is a funktastic song that just gets me in the workout mood. I often start my workout with this song to get me into the mood as I head towards the gym. It’s a great beat for a warm up jog or some light biking to get your heart rate up and if I’m not using it for that I use it for sit ups. But whoa…the video kind of sucks for this awesome song.

Nine Inch Nails “The Hand That Feeds”
— There are a whole lot more NIN and various other rock songs on my workout playlist (like Korn, Deftones, 24Hours, Telepathy, Gogostar) but I wanted to include this song because it has a great build up that I can anticipate. I use this for planking which is a horrible horrible invention made to torture people. I stupidly tried to do the “Hollywood Ab Blast” workout on my Nike app which was only 15 minutes long. 15 minutes of hell. 15 minutes of you flailing on a mat like a fish out of water while trying to balance your side plank while also doing flapping V things with your legs. Looks soooo easy when the instructor shows you how to do it. Point is, this song allows me to hold my plank for the 1 minute I’m supposed to because I’m angry at having to do the planking and NIN guides me through that anger like a spirit animal. A lovely, angry, vampire/Snape-look-a-like spirit animal.

Martina’s Bonus K-pop round: 2NE1 “Hate You”, GD&TOP “Oh Yeah”, Beenzino “Boogie On & On”, MBLAQ “Oh Yeah”

—–

So let us know what you think! Did we miss out on any super awesome songs? We need more recommendations! We’ve heard our playlists for a long time now, and the songs are starting to lose their effect on us. We need moar!

Speaking of moar, we have moar video! Some bloopers, in fact. Check em out!

And, lastly, make sure you click on this button right here for not only more videos, but for more muscles and less fats!

Comments

The Best Kpop Songs for a Workout

1. Great video guys! I love listening Rain´s 30sexy while working out at home, I just keep singing yea I’m dirty sexyyy ooops 30 sexy XD. It’s funny because my lovely kitty stares at me while I’m doing weird faces trying to keep my breath…
    I also listen Capsule’s song they are great and I love them, my favorite songs are I’m feeling you, spider, sugarless girl remix, glider and fruits clipper. They are one my favorite japanese bands after Miyavi of course (I recommend Ahead of the light for working out, guitar plus electronic beats fires me up).
    Thank you so much for your incredible work, I send you greats of love from Mexico and I hope you keep doing this for a long while. You are awesome

2. Has anyone else mentioned 2NE1’s I AM THE BEST?? If you hate working out like me, this is the song for you. It will motivate the unmotivated when exercising to do their best so that they can be the best.

3. The first thing I do when I go gym is use the rowing machine. For nearly an hour >.> My arms are dead afterwards :D But for that, I use the non-stop japanese mix that GG came out with last year.

After that though, I just shuffle >.> x x x

4. I listen to all kpop at the gym. In fact, I actually usually watch the music videos too because it’s more distracting than whatever’s on the TVs. Here goes! For the treadmill, I’m not supposed to run because of back and tendon issues, so I just speed walk like an old lady! I usually do 3 faster songs and then one slightly slower song, then 3, then 1, then 3, then one much slower song for a cool down. The current lineup is Humanoids (TVXQ), Lipstick/Funny Hunny (Orange Caramel – I go back and forth each time), Beautiful Target (B1A4), Pierrot (JYJ – this is the only one without a music video but the song is the perfect tempo), Lucifer (Shinee), Bling Bling (Dal Shabet), Standing Still, (U-kiss), It’s Over (Lee Hi), The Chaser (Infinite), Be Mine (Infinite), and finish off with Incredible (Junsu) which always gets me pumped for the end. Cool down song is Mirotic (TVXQ). For weights I love BAP – Warrior, No Mercy or Power. All fantastic with great shout-a-long-able parts for extra motivation :D

5. For workout music I really like Psy’s Gentleman, this song (dun rly know who this guy is?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLPLgJqeZJw as well as LMFAO and some Pendulum. yay. Also G-dragons heartbreaker. Good for exercise bike stuff.

6. haha I know how you feel >..> lol guess I know where I’m going tomorrow XD x x x

7. I love listening to Drunken Tiger’s “DoDoo Doo Doo Wop Ba Ba Lu” when I work out xD so good!

8. everytime I go to the gym this is the one song that gets me go-in (like SERIOUSLYXD weights OR treadmill, don’t matter, it’s done.

9. Not Kpop, but check out MuteMath- The Nerve, I love all of their songs. But on a different note, im curious, how long does it take for you to edit a video, ex. Music Mondays? Totally curious

10. JoKwon – I’m Da One. My number 1 song. Makes me feel like I can do anything~

11. B.A.P’s No Mercy is a great elliptical song. Running wise, I Got A Boy and Everybody are great songs.

12. Get Jinxed- http://youtu.be/0nlJuwO0GDs

Let’s Get Ridiculous by Redfoo- http://youtu.be/1w9DiGlZksU

and other random songs, like Ghost Lights by Woodkid, Block B’s Very Good, Imagine Dragons by Radioactive, Bass Cannon by Flux Pavilion, and Like This by Wondergirls.

13. I haven’t watched the video yet, but thanks for posting all of this music! I’m always up for new music suggestion! And more music on KMM = more awesome sharing-ness!!
    I’ve got to say, my NUMBER 1 go-to work out song is Infinite’s The Chaser. I reaaaally love, and I am the fastest I ever am at running when I listen to that song because it’s so upbeat and gets me super pumped.

14. kii

This video came at an awesome time! I was just thinking of putting together a K-Pop work out playlist – I literally added some songs to a playlist yesterday, and then this video comes out. :D Thanks for your recs Simon and Martina! :D

15. Nine Inch Nails <3

16. G-Dragon’s The Leaders is AMAZING for sit ups and weightlifting!

The “what’s up, what’s up, what’s up” can really get you into it. :D

In addition I also recommend Girls’ Generation’s Express 999 for the running mil!

17. Omg I do ‘Insanity’ and that workout is fricken hard, but I swear I had my kpop playlist playing once and the time flew by sooooooo fast!! So every time I do my workouts, I absolutely have to listen to kpop. Doesn’t really matter who as long as it’s kpop.

18. I like dubstep for fast paced workouts such as running, erging or jump roping. I love kpop for lifting weights because I unfortunately mouth along to the words I can’t help it! At least when I’m lifting weights I’m breathing less heavily and can mouth the words without looking like a dying fish. But definitely one of the best songs to work out to is GLAM’s “I Like That” it’s so catchy and sassy.

19. This video changes from the usual KMM and that is a great idea (expecially because I started to think about re-doing work-out lately, but I’m just too lazy xD)

For some ideas of motivational songs: Bad Boys and Time is Up by Led Apple is quite great to do squats. Hearbeat from 2PM is also great for abs. For running, 2NE1 is awesome (especially The Baddest Female and I am the Best) it makes me feel so awesome and gorgeous (but in reality I am all sweaty and almost fainting xD). MBLAQ “Oh Yeah” and “Mona Lisa” too. And “Huh” and “Ready Go” from 4Minutes too.

As for non Kpop song, Work by Ciara is quite great to run or doing abs. Any Shakira song is great too. And Bella from Maitre Gims (and now, all the French here are going to laugh at me, but this song is highly rhythmic, with a latino vibe, and I can’t resist to that kind of rythm). And the majority of the kabilian songs have a fast rythm, which is great.

And for all the bad comments, as we say “Haters gonna hate”. The most important thing is to do what you like, and not to do what other people wants you to do. :)

20. Hold up, Martina is a fan of Nine Inch Nails, Korn and Deftones? Waaay too curious about what other songs from these bands you work out/listen to; Please share!
    Korn’s “Coming Undone” is the perfect “I’m on the brink of death from working out but I’m still going to do crunches like a f****** boss” song LOL

21. 1. Breaking Benjamin: Diary of Jane, I Will Not Bow
    15. GD&TOP: Oh Yeah
    16. Jay Park: Body2Body, Joah
    17. Miryo: Dirty
    18. 4Minute: Huh, Mirror Mirror,
    19. BEAST: Bad Girl, Breathe, It Wasn’t Me, Mystery, Special
    20. Block B: Nillili Mambo, Very Good

Songs that make me feel like moving or just songs that I like and make me forget I’m exercising. XD

22. My “workout” list consists of K-pop songs that I’ve learned or am learning the choreography to. I don’t really do typical gym workout things. I may suck tremendously at the choreo but it’s fun to do and has me dying after an hour or two. At least it keeps me moving and not glued to a computer screen being a potato.

Choreo Completely(but still fail miserably at) Learned

Love Like Oxygen – SHINee
    Exo – History

Never Gonna Happen but I try anyway
    Growl – Exo
    Want You Back, Bad Boy – 100%
    Shaking Heart – C-Clown

There are plenty of others too. I like doing this because it is like working out your brain with memorization and lots of cardio at the same time.

I love the songs on your playlists too! Especially the MFBTY Sweet Dream. I cannot get enough of that song lately.

23. I don’t work out much but I jog with my dog everyday ^^
    I always love to listen fast paced songs when I jog so these are my favs at the moment:’

Kpop: 2NE1- CRUSH (Makes me feel badass XD), 2NE1- Hate You, Big Bang- Still Alive, B.A.P- No Mercy/Warrior/Power (B.A.P is really good for working out).

Not kpop: League of Legends- Vi Theme (this is game song but it’s kickass song), Tune Up- Ravers Fantasy, Pendulum- Granite/Watercolour/Hold your colour.. I also listen lot of nightcore and dubstep remixes ^^ I listen really random songs.. I just noticed ^^

24. I like running so any fast song is good.
    Some of my favorite songs on my playlist:
    1. Action – Nu’est
    2. Power – B.A.P
    3. Doradoradora – U-Kiss
    4. Electric shock – f(x)
    5. Shock – Beast
    6. Baby I’m Sorry – B1A4

I also have some of the songs you mentioned in this video. One that caught my interest is Idiotape “0805” I’m gonna add it to my playlist!!

25. Just listening to Junsu raises my heart rate, can’t image what it would do to me if I exercised while listening to him. LOL

26. When 2ne1’s I Am The Best comes on I unconsciously flip my hair bob my head and end up dancing instead.

27. This is perfect! I just started doing a workout (Shaun T’s Hip Hop Abs; it’s so much fun!) and dieting and stuff. I could really use some workout worthy K-Pop songs for going on jogs and stuff! Love it! ADTOY is definitely a great workout song. I don’t think I have any in particular at the moment that I use to work out.. but this video totally inspired me to get a work out playlist going! I will definitely be working on that after work tonight. >:D

On that note, I want to thank you guys so much! Not only have you introduced me to so much K-Pop that I might’ve missed out on and taught me a lot about South Korea and such, now you’re totally motivating me to work out more. So I thank you guys! The last time I tried to work out, it didn’t work out so well. (HA so punny :P) But now I’m just going to remind myself of this video and rewatch it to remotivate myself if I feel myself giving up. So I thank you, Simon and Martina! <3

28. Its not Kpop but, Famliy Force 5 has a song called chainsaw. Its GOOD!

29. Ah loved this guys! Such a good way to get to know new bands and songs! Thumbs up from me!! Sexy, Free and Single is a must!!!

I have so many work out songs but some of my favourite work out songs has to be:
    1 -2ne1 “I am the Best”
    2 – Infinite “Destiny”
    3 – Super Junior “Opera” & “Perfection Jap ver”
    4 – F(x) “Electric Shock” NA NA NA NA NA
    5 – CNBLUE “I’m Sorry” (The chorus is great for running)
    6 – Finally B.A.P’s “Excuse Me” – Best song it just makes me feel like – “HURR LETS GO!!!! GET OUT OF MY WAY I AM WORKING OUT!! HURRR”

Great vid guys !!

30. Haha, three of those are on my own work-out playlist. Including Sexy Love which I was hoping was on your guys’.

31. Before my doctor banned me from the treadmill for a while (ankle probably needs reconstructing+former dancer+hyper-flexibility=9 out of 10 pain on the treadmill) I found that most ANY Kpop would keep me at a good pace. The best? “ADTOY” for sure, “Unbreakable”, “Run Devil Run”, “Ocean of Light” and “Sherlock”. When I needed to slow down “One Minute Back” and “Symptoms” by Shinee. Now that I can’t run *crysobcry* I have to bike I watch dramas and go as fast as I can. Nothing like Kim Soo Hyun to make me go faster ;-)

• Oh yeah. If nothing else it distracts you from pain and lack of oxygen, lol! For me, I also see what shape I should be in do I also get some dancer’s shame going as well.

32. the only kind of “work out” I do is swimming, I don’t get to choose the music playing in the gym pool :( are there underwater mp3 players? I don’t know who or what assembles their playlist but I’m not a big fan of their taste in music…

• yes I found some on amazon, pretty cool! but I can’t afford them :/ I just have to keep playing my music in my head :P

33. hmm interesting list I like mine are
    U-kiss stop girl
    MFBTY- sweet dreams
    Big bang -fantastic baby
    Usher- Scream
    Queen- another bites the dust
    G dragon-crooked
    Pharrell- Happy
    Lady Gaga- Just dance
    Salt n Pepa- none of your business fyi is great to kick box with get all your stress out on the bag :)
    Michael Jackson They dont really care about us
    Marc Anthony vivir mi vida and more songs but i didn’t want to take up alot of space lol.
    Love you guys your humor is caught me and made me suscribe to your channels keep up the good work :)

34. I cannot listen to k-pop music while jogging. I always want to dance while hearing it. I rather like listening to someone talking like in a podcast or something like that.

35. Lipservice- Yum Yum Yum
    2ne1- I am the best
    2ne1- Crush
    GG- Mr Mr
    Orange Caramel- Catallena
    BesTie- Pit-a-pat
    BesTie- Love Options
    Anything by Crayon Pop XD
    G.P Basic- Game
    E.X.I.D – I feel good

36. Neverland by UKISS is amazing for working out, also Voodoo Doll by VIXX, Lucifer by SHINee and Catch Me by TVXQ are good too :D you guys are awesome :)

37. Loving the Idiotape song! Some of my workout songs include..

N-Train “Come back to me”
    Kim Hyun Joong, “Unbreakable”
    Perfume, “Spending all my time”
    Nanne, “Hornen I Pannan”, “Om Du Var Min”, and “Hall Om Mig”
    S.H.E. “Shero”
    Tasty, “You know me”
    U-KISS, “Neverland”
    Little Boots, “Remedy”
    Usher, “More”

38. Do you know a website where I can look at the BPM of K-Pop songs? Preferably where I can sort them for a specific BPM?

Lately I worked a lot on bettering my running form to avoid injury, as I have unfortunately weak knees so I have to look out for things like that. Anyways, a good running form is around 180 steps per minute, which you can regulate with a playlist with a uniform BPM. As I am quite short it isn´t really hard to do more but smaller steps, but I would recommend it for you too! It not only protects you from repetitive injuries, it also helps you get a better performance.

I run currently to a playlist with 170 BPM but I am slowly working up to 180. I use jog.fm to search for songs with specific BPMs (and you can directly use the playlists in spotify!). Unfortunately no K-Pop there :(

39. Teen Top’s Rocking and Miss Right are definitely the best for working out ^_^