Yoseop Yang – Caffeine: Kpop Music Mondays

December 17, 2012

Comments

First off, we want to apologize a bit for this lackluster Music Monday. We tried really hard to be inspired this week, and I’m sure there were tons of things we could have joked about to make this more of an upbeat Music Monday, but, at the moment, Martina’s grandfather doesn’t look like he’ll pull through. Things have gotten significantly worse, and we’ve been really down as a result. Most of the time silliness comes natural to us, and we’ve got tons of ideas for things to say. This week, though, we’re just too mopey to be inspired of cheerful things. Sorry everyone :(

Onto more cheerful things!

Gull You Like a Cat Pee! If you haven’t seen the awesomeness of this video and the near perfection of this song, check it out. We seriously love this song and video and feel so passionately about it:

Did you see that? Did you see how perfectly everything worked together? The video director and the costume designer, it seems, actually co-ordinated their efforts, so that the wardrobe fits the set! And the set is lovely. Yes, it’s a set, and it’s not outdoors, but it’s so freaking original. Not a well-lit box, but a very decadent, Victorian damasqued-decor room. It’s smokey and dark, fits perfectly with the smoke cloud of the ex-girlfriend and the smoking of the fire and of Yoseop’s body (and by “smoking body” I don’t mean that with a Balley-girl accent. I mean, literal smoke). The high-arching cathedral pillars, the almost tattooesque skully wallpapered room where Yoseop sits. Just…so cool! All of it, lovely.

And that’s just talking about the design aesthetic. There’s also the awesomeness of the strings. They’re brilliantly used. Right when Yoseop starts hitting those falsettos, those higher notes, his chair elevates to match the sound. The song sounds like it starts floating, and the chair matches. Brilliant! So simple, yet so effective. And the use of strings for the dance makes him look very puppet-like, which matches with the dead, robotic stare you see on Yoseop’s emotionless face when he puts the heart back into his robot body. Holy crap! It’s so well done.

We also didn’t get a chance to gush on about the backup dancers, but we loved loved the covered bodies and fringed faces. They were like Yoseop’s creepy shadows following him around, doubling as both backup dancers and aspects of the music video. It was so cool but did remind me of the fear I felt towards Son Dambi’s creepy backup dancers. *shudder*

Who made this video?! I know some of you know, you dedicated Batooties, you! Did they make videos of similar quality before? I must know! This is seriously one of the coolest, prettiest videos of the year.

Side note: we find it pretty hilarious how people are freaking out over the kissing scenes…AS IF THEY’RE ACTUALLY KISSING! Come on! Ain’t no kissing going on there. Look how cleverly the camera covers up any actual lip touching. It’s like “Ooops! This frame got in the way of our camera! Their mouths are covered! Ah well! We can’t redo the shot because, umm, we gotta go to lunch, so…let’s just use it!” Rubbish. If this was a real kiss scene, we’d see lips on top of lips moving. Not faces close to each other with weird stuff getting in the way. I’m too used to Western TV Shows and Movies to think that this was a real kiss. I seen some real kisses. This ain’t it!

Other than that, I think our 40 minute rant on English in Kpop pretty much covers it. We still totally love the song, though, even if the chorus makes us vomit in our mouths a little bit. The rest of the song is flawless. Where the heck can you buy it, though? Come on!

We did try to giggle a bit with our bloopers, which you can see here.

Comments

Yoseop Yang – Caffeine: Kpop Music Mondays

1. I hope he gets better :(…..

About the English… I think Yoseop tried for it to sound the way it should sound; the one who really messed up was, in fact, Jun Hyung – . –

You were a bit harsh but it’s understandable :(

♥♥♥♥

2. GD OPPA

3. Arg!!! I u guys were doing kpop music monday next week Secret could finally be reviewed

4. Please review the subtitles so we can understand better the video that we are not English-speaking. =)

Thanks =D

5. Seriously catchy despite the Engrish. I’m lovin this! I wonder if caffeine could equate to drug. You’re bad for me like caffeine (but I’m addicted)? I know I was humming this and grinning at the bakery I work at this morning. It went well with my frappucino :D

6. I love Yoseop’s voice and I absolutely love Batoost, but the english in the song killed the mood for me, I cant take the song seriously at all. I saw a great example of engrish, a friend sent me this picture which looked like a catalog pic of this dude posing very awesomely with a sweater that said ‘Crap your hands, make some noise’ …. how would that sound, I wonder? XD hahahaha

7. G-Dragon – That XX

8. GD song and MV are good, but Yoseop are way better for me so my vote is for Yoseop Caffeine.

9. I have a suggestion. How about doing male song one week and female song another, alternating for Kpop Monday? That way you can balance the two and viewers may have 2 weeks to vote for their favorite song.

10. i loved both songs and both videos, but i think i’ll vote for That XX, even though Yoseob sings better… i don’t know, That XX is, for me, a prettier song with a prettier MV, but it’s a hard choice lol

11. ‘I can’t foresee anything wrong going with that’ – Simon. Awkward grammar? Yes? ;p

12. As to votes for next year’s videos, I’m voting “Tinkerbell” by Gain. I’m sure it will be out by next year… maybe…

13. I don’t think that this KMM was a lackluster, I’d rather watch you talking throughout the video than forcing yourselves to joke when you’re feeling down. Stay strong, guise!

To the video: It’s one of these moments when I’m glad that English is not my native language, because the Engrish in Kpop doesn’t make me cringe that much (well, sometimes it does, but not often). And “Caffeine” didn’t impress me at first, but it really grows on me.

14. I’ve become strangely addicted to the Engrish in this song. The chorus is so catchy. I find myself singing “You bad to me, you bad to me, Oh girl you like a caffeine” under my breath all the time. It’s so easy to understand what the lyrics are trying to express with that line, that even if it is grammatically incorrect, I don’t mind it at all. Some Engrish you can’t even tell where the writer was going (or what he/she was on) when they wrote it. Also, between the two of them, I’d say Junhyung is the bigger offender with his pronunciation. At least I can hear Yoseob singing “You bad to me” unlike Junhyung’s “You bed to me.”

I also think certain cases of mispronunciation of English in kpop songs stem from the line having an English loan word. For example, Super Junior’s Spy contains the word “highlight,” which is a loan word from English that has its own accepted Korean spelling and pronunciation: 하이라이트 or ha-i-ra-i-too. Considering that that part of Spy’s lyrics is written in hangul and not English, I find it perfectly acceptable for the singer to use the Korean pronunciation. Caffeine’s case is different because “caffeine” is actually written in English in the lyrics, but since it is also one of those English loan words, I can see how it would be easy for a Korean speaker to fall back on the Korean pronunciation of 카페인, which sounds different from the English pronunciation.

Moving on to the showdown: I love both songs and both videos! It’s close, but my vote goes to That XX because the video adds meaning to the song that you can’t glean from only listening to the song. Actually, since we’re already talking about That XX, I’ll just mention that That XX gets my vote for Best Overall Video of the Year in the EYKAs. We couldn’t nominate both a GD video and a BB video in the same category, so it wasn’t included in the Top 10. But in my heart, That XX is the Best Video of 2012. :)

15. Here i thought he was saying “you’re bad to me”

16. I kept on hearing “Your battery”… and it made me giggle

17. YAY I’m so glad you liked the song!! (not that im suprised you guys seem to have similair tastes to what I like) I loooved it when if first came out! You guys are right about the english…. I prefer to sing it properly to myself haha XD

18. I feel bad that you both had to act cheerful even in these trying times :( Thank you guise for the hard work you put on this video!
    I really liked the song and was REALLY interested as how you’d react to the Engrish! I must say, you did NOT disappoint.
    I’m a hardcore VIP but I LOVE this song to bits!! So on the showdown, my vote goes to Caffeine :D

19. I don’t know…I heard it as “you’re bad to me” and not “you better me” and as for the pronunciation of caffeine, that’ just the Korean pronunciation of caffeine. For example, English pronunciation of Porsche is different from the actual pronunciation.
    It’s actually funny when I try to order a machiatto and say it with English pronuncation and the people don’t understand me so I have to say it in Korean pronunciation “ma-kki-ah-tdo” and they all go “ohhhhhhh! that!” hahah

(Another fun fact….instead of saying sodium, Korean say Natrium…which is from the chemical symbol for sodium, Na.)

Also, keeping your family in my prayers! <3

20. J.R

I want that Beast shirt so bad!!! But they won’t shipped it to Korea!

21. G Dragon – That XX!!!!!

22. Kes

Sympathies for your Grandfather’s poor health. I appreciate your professionalism in making a video even when it wasn’t easy! Much respect.

Re: the review itself, don’t worry about it not being jokey. I’m possibly in the minority, but I actually kind of prefer the more low-key reviews without as many skits and so on. There really aren’t a lot of sources of objective reviews in kpop (there tends to be either extreme of ‘lol these wacky Asians and their wacky music!!1′ and “OMGGGG OPPPPPAR ILU I AM SO READY TO BINGO!!!1’)

23. As much as I love G-Dragons MV I’d Have To Give it To The Tiny One. My Vote Goes For Yoseop Yangs “Caffeine” Because its really more literal and gives you a movie like short mini movie :) By the way, is it just me or Did T.O.P make a cameo in this video? Lurka Lurka I.e he’s wearing that hideous turtle neck outfit.

24. What was that clinking sound at the beginning of the video? It sounded like ice cubes dropping into a glass to me. I thought perhaps he was making an iced coffee, but nope, no ice in the glass. Also, it sounds like he’s saying “you bad to me, you bad to me, you like a coffee”, which kinda makes sense since coffee is bad for you. Although, I’m sure Simon is correct about the lyrics.I just like to make mine own lyrics up when I don’t understand what’s being sung (but that’s usually when sung in Korean not English).

25. I really did not think the English was that bad. I did hear “you’re like a caffeine.” Instead of “you’re like caffeine” but I definitely heard “you’re bad to me.” Which to me, makes perfect sense. And the extra, a sound, was awkward, but it wasn’t horrendously, offensively bad. I don’t think it’s 0 worthy. And yeah, yoseob wins.

26. Ok so much to say!

First, I have dubbed Yoseob as Sir Bendy of Bendsalot because of his bendy dance. Feel free to use that as his name from now on. :D

Second, I’m right there with you with B2ST songs. I have loved all of them, except my least favorite are Beautiful and Bad Girl.

Third, I love the skits that you usually do, but I quite enjoyed this review. It was a pure review and was entertaining at the same time. I guess what I’m trying to say is that you don’t need all those skits to make a review entertaining so you have no need to apologize and I didn’t think this KMM was lackluster at all.

Forth, Beetle Juice, Beetle Juice, Beetle Juice! See attached pic!

And Lastly, My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

27. Our hearts are with you and your grandpa. Thanks for doing a KMM despite that. Love you guys! <3