KpopCharts Update: That Sexy Phoenix

September 8, 2012

Comments

G-Dragon “That xx” – Vote for it here!

G-Dragon: You have dominated our kpop charts yet again. What a total turn around from his first single, but I wouldn’t expect anything different from G-Dragon. We talked about him being an image artist in our last week’s review of One of a Kind, and this video, with its totally different sound and aesthetic, definitely supports that argument.

The last GDTOP album was similar, with even an odd country western song making it’s way onto the album. I’m actually not sure I like this song that much, you already know I’m (Martina) not that good with slower songs, which is why the few handful of slow kpop songs, including my love for EXO’s “I Lost My Pants” wait…that’s not what it’s called…umm…oh yeah, “What Is Love” is so shocking. As of right now, this GD song isn’t really doing it for me, but maybe it will grow on me once I listen to it a million times as I script for Music Monday. Am I alone in this opinion? Anyone else?

T-ara “Sexy Love” – Vote for it here!

This song is amazing. This song is why T-ara’s my favourite band (Simon here). G Dragon fans are gonna get upset at me for this, but this song is SO MUCH BETTER than G-Dragon’s song. Acoustic guitars and heartfelt singing is nice and all, but it does not trump that DUCK ROBOT INSTRUMENTAL. What the hell instrument is that anyway? It’s like Cowbell v 2.0. Do you know how crotch thrust able this video is? Have you tried? Play the song now. Stand up, and thrust your crotch like you’re skiing to the beat. See that? That was pretty intense. Try doing that to G-Dragon’s “That xx” Not the same, right?

Anyhow, I love this song, and I’d love to review it next week. VOTE FOR IT, YO!

ZE:A “Phoenix” – Vote for it here!

WOW. Really really loving this song. Even just the tiny wordless intro to this song is immediately catchy. I spent all day yesterday going FIRE FIRE FIRE BURRRN FIRE FIRE FIRE BURN FIRE BURN FIRE BURN while Simon narrowed his eyes at me. We didn’t get the chance to talk about the video that much, and well…it doesn’t really do it for us. The set is actually a bit too distracting, and even though we poke fun at SM Ent for using the same settings, at least their settings allow the artist themselves to pop out. It is possible that the setting in “Phoniex” is actually not that bad, it could be a problem with the way the camera is moving or maybe even the editing. I haven’t put my finger on it yet, I just think it didn’t do a good job of focusing on the band. And on a side note, I can only imagine how much sand was in their underpants and shoes after they had to kick around that sand for probably a million takes.

Comments

Kpop Charts Update

KpopCharts Update: That Sexy Phoenix

1. “Anyhow, I love this song, and I’d love to review it next week. VOTE FOR IT, YO!”

I see someone is channeling Jesse Pinkman

• I JUST FINISHED SEASON 5!!! WTF YO! I need new episodes out NOWWWW.

Side note: if I ever meet Jesse in real life, I’ll ask him to call me a BIIIIIIHHHTCH

2. The English in Sexy Love is SOOOO BAADDD, roflcopter T-ara

3. C.L

I fell for your finger puppet trick….

4. I like T-ara’s new song…but cowbell? I don’t hear a cowbell at all, or anything related. I hear some pretty dope beats but most certainly not a cowbell lol

• I think he meant Cowbell Version 2 as in Duckbell or something like that lol

5. I love T-ara! They’re my second favourite group, behind the Wonder Girls, but not by much.

6. “G-dragon fans, or as I like to call you: G-Dragon fans”
    And did I hear wrong?: “T-ara fans, or as I like to call you: Explosive T-areah?” (as in ‘Explosive Diarrhea’)

7. Truth be told all the songs this week are pretty decent. GD’s has grown on me, T-ara has a good sound and ZE:A seriously it is rare a song translates between languages (I don’t know the Japanese version be without knowing it this song stands on its own). However I’m not crazy about any of the videos. GD’s 16 year old “girlfriend” bugs me, T-ara video is kinda cheese but good, and ZE:A is the same old same old k-pop video I’ve seen. But I’m more about the songs than videos in general, not hating.

8. I think that the reason for the turtleneck is that maybe they already wrote “yours” on his neck, and they wanted to hide when he is playing the “Good” GD.

9. Hmmm, I wasn’t expecting a KpopCharts Update this week. Not to be rude, but I am slightly shocked you two have yet to come out with a thank you video. I’m just saying 77k in 2 days, that is freaking AMAZING. What was it, like 39k in 7 hours? Insane! I was expecting a crazy video of you two crying and losing your minds in appreciation :) don’t get me wrong I know you two sincerely appreciate it, I just think you need to show The Nasties your appreciation (not just a fb post) before spending their money. In your defense, I didn’t watch you latest live chat so I am not sure if you have already done so, or if you are doing so as my rude ass writes this :/ You two are fantastic, and I’m truly sorry if what I have said has offended you. That was not my intention.

• They did however release a thank you message on tumblr and that made me all super teary eyed. You should check that out, it was so heart felt and wonderful. Plus I’m sure they will release a video once the fundraiser comes to an actual end.

• I don’t think you were rude, just quietly. Fair call.
      I think they might have intended to thank their fans via the live chat, but over 3000 people tried to sign in, and crashed the site. So you’re right. They haven’t released a thank you video (yet).

10. While watching the update i felt uncomfortable. The fund raiser keep popping in my head. I did donate too. It’s weird

• I think it’s because they didn’t say anything about it. I was totally expecting a big “Thank you!” to all The Nasties that donated :)

• I’m pretty sure that it’s because they filmed this before the whole fundraising thing happened. I know what you mean though – it’s like when people were shocked at Daesung for acting so happy on his TV appearance right after the accident, in spite of the fact that the TV show was recorded before the accident. :S

• Perfume fanboy! Simon and Martina missed out on gd’s zip being down :O and why weren’t you in that xx? I didn’t see youuuuuuuuu

• Lol what’s with you and your obsession with GD’s fly :p
          What do you mean about me being in ‘That XX’? OH you mean the thread. True, I haven’t commented on it. I should huh. It’s a nice song.

• Well… I just thought martina would be interested and she didn’t comment something like that before (not that she have the chance). I was so bored at that xx! because of the lack of rival it was so dead!