Our New Morning Routine

March 16, 2014

Comments

Whoa! We always feel bizarre whenever we shoot a video at home. We used to do it so often, but then we moved over to the studio when we realized that our film life/personal life balance became overrun. But shooting back in our home now gave us a bit of a nostalgic feel. And without makeup! And without showering! Without proper mics, also! Not even with good lighting! I feel like a newbie again!

Anyhow, we wanted to share what our morning routine was like. I don’t like using the phrase “New Year’s Resolution” often, because those are always destined for failure, from my experience, but our resolve to be more active definitely started in 2014. When we were in Canada and didn’t have much to do, we went to the gym all the time. And we loved it! We wanted to bring that back with us to Korea and to exercise more regularly than before. We’re doing that here as well, even though the gyms here are a lot less equipped than what we’re used to, but – still – we’re using it more than before.

Also, our morning routine has changed a lot since our Day in a Life video. Our breakfasts now have changed quite a bit. I know people say that you should eat a big breakfast because it’s better for you, and you eat less throughout the day as a result, such and such, but we don’t really do that. Since we work out in the morning, we find that eating a lot for breakfast really makes us more sluggish in the gym. So we just eat powerballs and protein shakes and coffee and juice, really. Once we’re in the studio is when we eat a bigger meal.

One of the things we cut out in the video is my ramble about the importance of water. That’s really the first thing I do in the morning. Wake up, go right to the fridge and down a big glass of water. I’ve read so often lately about the importance of hydration, and about how drinking more water makes you sharper during the day and less piggy-ish when you’re eating. Having water right away in the morning gets your brain juices flowing and your metabolism firing, so…I do it.

Afterwards is when the preparations for Martina’s awakening take place. Another thing you didn’t see in the video is that I’ll make the coffee, and then pour a mug for Martina, and I’ll wake her up by going over to her sleeping in bed and blowing the coffee aromas at her and trying to wake her up that way. Go ahead and puke rainbows! I’m a caring husband! Mornings are really difficult for Martina, not because she’s a lazy fartsucker, but because sleeping is really painful if you have EDS like she does. She wakes up a lot more when she sleeps than most people because she has to relocate her joints, so she’s never really had a full-night’s sleep. I’ll do what I can to make her mornings as easy as possible. Coffee helps transition into her awakening :D

The Powerballs we make are lovely and we highly recommend you give them a shot. Here’s our recipe for them

POWERBALLS!

Prep:
First put the coconut in the oven to toast, then do all the other mixing.  But don’t forget about it and burn it like I always do.

Mix:
– 2 cups old fashioned Gluten Free Oats
– 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
– 1/2 cup chia seeds
– 1 cup slivered almonds
(or Instead of a full cup of almonds, add half almonds, half protein powder)
– 2 Tbs goji berries
– 1/4 cup Cacao Nibs
– 1 1/2 cup toasted coconut flakes

In a giant bowl, mix all that dry good stuff together. Once it’s all evenly distributed:

Blend In:
– 1/2 cup honey
– 1 1/2 cup peanut butter
You can use other butters instead, like almond butter, peanut/pecan butter, etc

Mix the dry stuff with the honey and butter until the whole thing is solid enough to make a ball that won’t fall apart. You might find that the mixture’s too dry, in which case we just add some more honey until it becomes more solid.

Grind:
– Handful of raw sunflower seeds
– Handful of green pumpkin seeds
– Handful of chocolate chips

We usually put these three into one of those Magic Bullet thingies and grind them up into a powder. We use this to coat the balls.

That’s it! The chocolate chips are on the outside rather than mixed in, so that the first thing you taste is a bit of sweetness.

The powerballs are very dense and require a lot of chewing. They’re delicious, but they don’t dissolve in your mouth like junk food. We wash down each bite with some coffee. We also take these to the studio with us so we can have a quick snack from time to time.

Yeah! So that’s our Powerball recipe. They’re great. Hope you like them as well!

Anyhow, we also make different juices in the morning, as you can see. They’re mostly mixtures of Spinach and lemon with different additions, most of the time apple and ginger, though we oftentimes use oranges and carrots as well. We use a Kuvings Whole Slow Juicer and we really love it. We wanted a juicer that could juice green stuff, like spinach, and we didn’t realize that not all juicers can do that. So if you’re interested in juicing greens, this is the juicer for you.

A while ago, Martina went to this health food class in Toronto in which she learned about the Spinach/Lemon/Apple combo, but – back then – it was done in a blender. Meaning, you ate as much as you drank. We did that for a while, and if you don’t have a juicer putting that all into a blender with a bunch of ice water makes for a healthy drink as well, it just wasn’t…great. We just prefer something easier to drink that doesn’t fill us up as much as the bodies of lemon, apple and spinach do, you know? Though, we sometimes take some of the spinach pulp from our juicer and mix it in with our juices if we feel we aren’t getting enough fibre. Not all the time. We’re torn. Let us know what you think!

EDIT: Martina here! I wanted to add that I found a recipe online for taking the veggie pulp and making flaxseed veggie crackers! I’ll let you know how it is once I do it! I already used our juicer to make homemade tofu and soy milk!!! Amazing right?!!

Another thing I know some people might get confused by: our coffee is a French Press, but we call it a Bodum. That’s like calling a tissue a Kleenex. You can use any French Press you want, of course, but we like using the Bodum. We’ve used other ones before and we find that the metal warps over time, and then you get coffee grains floating in your coffee after a while. We haven’t had that issue with the Bodum. We still hate cleaning it, though. Getting rid of the grinds you can only do with water, but I don’t want to dump all the grinds down the sink, so we have to go to the bathroom, fill the bodum with water, and then toss the water with the grinds down the toilet. It’s the only dish we have that can’t be washed in the kitchen. Blarrrggg!

Lastly, we didn’t share our workout routine because that wouldn’t really make for a good video. We see on the front page of Instagram all the time these videos of superbuff people with giant boobs doing these insane workouts with smiles on their faces. We’re not that fit. Working out for us is gruelling with lots of sweat and not enough air to breathe in to form sentences. We don’t do Crossfit; if we did, you’d hear us talk about it all the time ;) But I started getting into running, and run 3-6 miles per run, 4-5 times a week. I’m not by any means fast. I’m sweaty and sore most of the time, but I’m doing my best to get good at running.

So that’s it for our morning routines! Hope you weren’t too bored with this little slice of our lives. You see us most of the time going out and playing around in Korea, but you never really see what we do for the first couple of hours of our days. Hope you found it somewhat interesting, and you can see a bit more of what makes us tick :D

If you liked this video and more of our personal vids, make sure you subscribe to our Open the Happy channel, which doesn’t really fit any schedule. We just put videos up there from time to time. Don’t miss out on any of them by clicking on this button here!

Comments

Open the Happy

Our New Morning Routine

1. hiya guys! it’s really cool to see you being so healthy nowadays! very inspiring!! Also Martina, I feel your pain, i also have something which causes me to wake up many times a night and so i never ever get a full night’s sleep… *sigh* I’m terribly jealous that you don’t seem to have perma-bags under your eyes like i do…… *grumbles* … i can only hope to ever be able to find a guy as sweet and devoted as Simon!!! about the juicing though, it *is* healthier to drink smooties, as you are losing a lot of the vitamins and fibers when you juice instead, but honestly, if you can’t handle the texture, juicing is still better than nothing at all!

2. I live out in Sejong and I was wondering where you buy your ingredients for your powerballs? because I would like to start making them!

3. Sorry if this info is already here…I didn’t read all the comments. This kind of juicer, called a masticating juicer, is also meant to be used for juicing greens, such as wheat grass or spinach: http://www.omegajuicers.com/juicers/juicer-8004.html It will also do carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, and many other things. It’s still a bit pricey, but not as much as the Kuvings. And no, I don’t work for them nor am I in any way associated with them. I’m just passing along information. :)
    Anyway, those Powerballs sound delish and I’m going to write down that recipe and try them. Thanks for sharing that! Keep up the good work, guise!

4. I’m relieved to know I’m not the only one who wakes up early and works out in the morning. I’m actually not a morning person AT ALL, but two years ago, I promised my best friend that we’d get fit together, and to this day that promise is kept…Except during winter. Neither of us like working out when it’s cold outside. We also don’t do it on weekends. I have about a week or two left before I get to say bye bye to waking up late and not working out. orz;;

I get up at 8 during spring and fall, and 5 in summertime. I usually have almond milk, homemade oatmeal with strawberries and blueberries (and other fruits), and of course water! If I feel like putting in the effort, I’ll make blueberry oatmeal pancakes. After breakfast I drive to my friend’s house and wake her up. Then, I workout for about 4 hours–yes, 4! Nothing is too intense, however, so I’m no WWE wrestler. x3 I lift weights for 30 minutes while walking on a treadmill, then 30 minutes again without the weights, then I usually play tennis with my friend for the remaining time OR go swimming. Then, it’s shower time and we leave to get a big lunch and cry over Attack on Titan.

By the way, that recipe sounds delicious!! I’m gonna try it on my first day of spring workout. u<

Oh! One more thing, your house is adorable! It's modern and so cute and purdy. All the furniture looks so adorable; it fits you two a lot! ouo Two adorable people living an adorable life. <3

5. Hi Simon&Martina!
    I have a question for your open the happy: Do you guys watch any other vlogs? If so what do you recommend? :)

Btw, you guys are the cutest couple I know, your relationship is so amazing and inspiring! <3 It is so much fun to watch you have fun together ^^

6. Martina what type of flowers are the flowers on your new tattoo? I wanted a flower like that but i dont remember the name…. o.o

7. Simon and Martina,

Do you guys watch K-Drama … How about a top 10 or 20???
    I juice every morning … According to the nutrition expert who helps me with my diet … kale, apples, lemon and a pear should always be in your juice, but I like to vary a lot … Here are some of our favorite recipes

(we make it for 4 people)

1 bunch of kale

4 apples
    1-2 pears
    1 Lemon
    This is the base of our juice, then we change everyday by adding
    6 oranges, OR 6 tangerines, OR 1 pineapple, OR water of 1 coconut, OR celery stalks (good for hangovers and as a liver cleanser), OR 1 cucumber (when its too hot outside) OR 2 beets, OR 4 Carrots, OR parsley stalks (to clean the urinary tract, once every two weeks), OR 2 passion fruits, OR I mix the above mentioned as I please …
    Good combinations are
    Beets with oranges and celery
    Oranges and carrots
    Apples with celery

Hope you guys try it out
    Take care !!!

(Bianca) Brazilian Nasty

8. I’m strangely fascinated on how you make coffee. It seems so fancy.

9. Thanks for the tip! Simon and I were debating about peeling the lemon, we tried it once whole and it was great. Just a little more lemony. We do organic apples for shizzle. It’s the only thing we buy organic!

10. We’re not doing low-carb anymore. We found it too difficult. We’re just a lot more conscious now of the carbs we eat, and eat a lot less than we did before the diet :D

11. $430.00 on Amazon O.O

• I like the size of the juicer, since I don’t have much space, but whoa!!! that price…i’ll keep it old school for now and just chew stuff lol.

• Just make a regular smoothie with a blender! Plus, you’ll get more fiber (esp. if you eat it during breakfast!)

12. So I have a cold and all I want to do it is rub my face in the Meem’s fur. It looks so soft and snuggly!!! T.T

13. Martina here: I do lift weights at the gym! I started with the very very lightest weights first (bc my EDS I can dislocate a joint with anything too heavy) and once that was too easy, I slowly went up. I do biceps curls then go up on my tippy toes and do a shoulder press while balancing on my toes. It works your abs because you’re using your whole core to balance while lifting the weights up. I think I might have to do a mini-workout video b/c I have no idea how to explain my moves to you! Hahahahah!

14. Martina, you mentioned in the blogpost that you once made homemade tofu? Do you think maybe you can do a tutorial video on it one day? i’ve tried making it before, but gave up bc i got frustrated lol. :D

15. Sal

who’s your favorite modern family character?????

16. This video is great ^-^
    And I’d love to try the powerball *-* do you have a recipe with gram instead of cup? (In germany we don’t have this cup thingy)
    This would be great :)
    and OMG Simon it’s soo cute how you take care of Martina *-*

17. Hi guys! It’s awesome to see more awareness on healthy living. I feel like we’re helping each other out even though I don’t you guys personally. I started a year ago but wasn’t too strict with it due to the fact that my family doesn’t understand why I’m doing it. I’m a poor full-time student and since I’m living in Singapore, I have to get a lot of stuff on Iherb(my holy grail) and I needed to support my own lifestyle which suck. So, I had to take a part-time job. Anyway, I wanna ask what kind of workouts do you guys do, (strength, cardio, HIIT, circuit, etc) and do you guys meal prep? Are you guys very particular with the vegan/organic/gluten-free aspects of your meals? Is there any future where you guys see yourselves going more natural in her body care/skin care/cosmetics and such? Thanks! :)

18. No Colbert Report?

19. love your morning routine! i also juice every morning but i blend it and drink it as my breakfast.
    have you tried adding kale? i used both kale and spinach! =) also cucumbers add a great taste and extra juice!

about drinkng coffe everyday..i’m so torn! one day a study says caffein/coffee everyday is bad
    then another study says “10 reasons why drinking coffee is healthy”…
    idk what to believe hahaha

i hope you do more vids like these in the future! =D

20. Nice to see what you guys do to stay healthy in the morning!

My morning routine at the moment.. is basically me showering (most of the time) and heading off to school. Yeah, I get a lot of people who tell me I should eat breakfast, that it’s important, and how it isn’t healthy for me to skip. I have eaten breakfast before going to school, however I found that my body would get really sluggish in the middle of the day and at some point, I got sleepy. I do eat breakfast, but it’s the term I use to call my first meal in the afternoon.. then again, that might be lunch or dinner….
    I started getting healthy after I started living away from my parents for university. It mainly consists of limiting the amount of crap I buy (stopped buying fast food, greasy food, chips, iced tea, frozen crap), reduce the amount of meat I eat, limiting how much I eat, and eating less carbs. But it works, as my parents noticed that I got thinner (i was a little chubby entering university)
    As for exercise… yeah I’ll admit I really can’t stand gyms. Don’t get me wrong, I know all the wonderful stuff it can do for you, but I really can’t stand the smell and the equipment. So, I do everyday activities to get exercise such as running/walking to the bus stop and carrying huge amount of groceries in 2 reuseable bags. oh and kpop dancing

• I am worse than you…my first meal on school days is lunch XD

21. Mai

Thanks for sharing your morning routine! I’ve been trying to get into the healthier habit myself and I’m always curious to see what other people are doing.

22. I really enjoyed this! I remember the day in the life video and seeing how you guys have grow and changed is really cool.
    And you guys are super inspiring because you are so relatable. After seeing your first video I actually started to make those breakfast burritos because I really liked the idea of having a compact, filling, and semi healthy breakfast especially since I am also not a morning person. I’d make a couple the night before then I just had to microwave them and tada!

And now I am kind of wanting to try juicing. I like a lot of fruit juices anyway so I mightvas well drink healthy homemade versions!

Thanks for sharing your awesome morning!

Ps -Simon makes an awesome hubby. I want one! Lol

23. I’m fascinated by the powerballs :D how many does that recipe yield? and what’s the recommended serving size/portion/amount/whatever-the-word-is? lol

• I’m not sure how many in terms of number of balls, but the recipe lets us eat something like 4-5 balls between the two of us every morning for a couple of weeks, plus a few that we randomly snack on throughout the day as well.

• That sounds awesome. I’ll definitely be trying out the recipe ^_^

• Have you all thought about adding some coconut oil to your power balls. It would make them less dense, and coconut oil provides a ton of health benefits in terms of improved digestion and stuff. I was just thinking, because your power ball mix is very close to the seed-nut blend I make, which I spread over fruit, add to yogurt, or sometimes add coconut oil and peanut butter to, to eat more like a bar. But now, I’m thinking some small balls for random snack-age would be cool and portable.

24. im eating junk food as i watched this Ou O

25. I’ve been looking for a new morning pick me up since I’ve given up coffee, not voluntarily mind you. Does juicing help give you some extra energy? For breakfast I generally have steal cut oatmeal or corn flakes with soy milk. I seriously miss coffee.

• YES! We found a huge energy boost. I think because you can put so much stuff into one glass it’s like having a huge salad for breakfast. We also do a raw oatmeal thingy for breakfast sometimes, with uncooked oatmeal, chia seeds, chopped banana or strawberry, cacao nibs, and soy milk. Let it all soak so the chia seeds enlarge and it gets all thick. Also, I totally made homemade sugar free soy milk in our juicer!!!! :O

• Homemade soy milk! Sounds like I need to invest in a juicer! I have an evil posses blender that isn’t very good at its designated job. For the oatmeal breakfast thingy is it instant oatmeal?

• I’m wondering if you could also make almond milk with a juicer! After all, it’s the same process! Almonds are yummy!

26. I agree with the pesticides on the apples. My mom developed an allergy to apples, pears, and peaches because these fruits have the most pesticides on them. She has fruit wash, which is designed to wash off pesticides, but she just avoids these fruits.

27. Loved watching your morning routine. The hubby got into watching a whole bunch of videos on Netflix talking about healthy eating and we started blending our vegetables but I found it way too chunky… It’s hard to chew your juice! He now uses the slow juicer, Hurom, I think it’s called, and tries to throw the pulp into his food. It tastes kind of weird in soups and omelettes so we might have to investigate something else! =P Funny thing about juicing, it’s pure nutrition so at the beginning, go slow, especially with wheat grass juice. We tried all enthusiastically and felt so nauseous we had to have Korean meat bbq to override it…. hahaha

28. You can always do most of these things the day before besides the coffee

29. That’s why I always use some kind of wash on all my fruits and vegetables before I eat them, especially apples because I’m too lazy to cut or peel them, and I think they taste better when you bite right into the skin ^^

30. You two look like you are having the absolute time of your lives-all the time! To see how much the both of you have changed since the beginning of these blogs, while still remaining yourselves…crazy! So happy for you two, even though I don’t even know you. It is always lovely seeing you guys update. Seriously! So happy for you guys!!

Also-the tattoo looks KILLER. It turned out awesome. Can’t wait to see what adorable summer dresses you’ll be pairing with it once its warmer.

31. i dont use a juicer, i use a really good blender (black and decker). i use kale instead of spinach so its tougher but the blender gets it down to tiny little pieces. i like the mass amounts of fibre because i normally don’t get enough. the doctors recommended me fibre powders and fibre cookies but consuming it that way makes my tummy and insides feel worse. my smoothies with the pulp in it has been super good for my tummy (or more my intestines, but whatever).
    ^^

32. I LOVE my Aeropress. I prefer it over a french press, but I’m only making one cup at a time, so the Aeropress is perfect for me. I’m a beginner coffee snob, so I love trying new beans. When I make it out to Korea, I hope to meet up or drop off some coffee to you guys. I always have loved the coffee mentions.

Also, I have a Breville for juicing. I’m going to slowly work it back into my daily routine. Great video!

33. oh, simon and martina, help!
    i just bought a coffee maker today :3
    but i need a coffee grinder too! i couldnt find any that were under like 100,000 won. T_T
    any recommendations?

• If you have a favorite coffee shop, sometimes they can do it for you, especially if you buy it from them. Just ask! :)

• I don’t know about korea, but some stores in america have coffee grinders in the store like you pick your coffee then grind it. it wont be as fresh but it will work till you can find something else.

34. I eat similar power balls things but ours had protein power so we call them protein balls! :p It’s very expensive but the Vitamix blender is amazing. Carrots, cucumbers, kale or spinach, blueberries, peaches, bananas, apples etc…it blends into a nice non lumpy or seedy liquid (without cutting anything before hand!). It’s amazing. A cheaper version is the Blendtec which is pretty good as well. I’m not sure if it’s true but I thought it was better to mix than juice because you lose nutrients without the ‘pulp’. So many conflicting stories!!! :p It’s great being able to have all these healthy things in one easy drink though isn’t it?! :)

35. As always a awesome video for a nice study break. I was wondering if you guys have ever though about adding a recipe tab at the top for the recipes you give us. Oh and how do you guys get North American T.V. in Korea.

36. Hey guys, I really enjoyed this video it’s kind of fun seeing ‘behind the scenes’. Anyway, one thing I had to mention, in your blog you say how you wake up and drink a glass of water that I’m assuming is chilled as you say that you go to the fridge. You shouldn’t be doing that! It needs to be room temperature, or even better, warm water with lemon juice. The cold water actually slows down your metabolism.

• Lemon juice in water has a lot of health benefits, but in the long term it can damage the enamel on your teeth. The best way is to drink it through a straw (you can buy glass straws) so the liquid bypasses your teeth.

37. Instantly made the power balls after watching this ….. O_O so goooooooooooooooooood, homemade energy drink and power balls is srsly the best combo to help me get through the last three weeks of school <3 Thanks guys awesome recipe !

38. I was so psyched to find out you guys are so health oriented. My family and I do our best to be as healthy as we can and most of my family is gluten free now. I’m trying to switch to gluten free to, but it’s really hard for me, especially breakfast. I don’t have a very big appitite in the mornings and I have a hard time eating breakfast before I have to leave for school. You guys are gluten free to right? do you have any gluten free easy morning food suggestions? The power balls are gluten free right?

39. I really love the power balls and want to try them at home! I was wondering, can I make them a little softer by grinding them or just adding more honey? My boyfriend has really bad issues with his teeth, and I want to give him something healthy but not as hard to chew (just something easy on his teeth). c:

40. What time do you guys typically go to bed/wake up?