Our New Apartment in Seoul!

September 18, 2014

Comments

Tada! Here’s our new apartment! Allow us to tell you a bit more about the place, and to share with you our new home!

Let me just say how happy we are to have found this place. We were really quite worried. Leigh and Soo Zee told us that the place we were living in before was at quite a bargain, and we wouldn’t be able to find anything as nice at the same price. So, the first few places that we saw were…terrible. Old, mouldy, dark. We saw a few on our first day of apartment hunting, and it went terribly. Then Leigh recommended we look in a different area, just a bit further away from where we were originally looking, in the World Cup Stadium Area. And, holy smokes, thank you Leigh for the save!

We saw a few apartments that day, all of which were awesome, one of which was almost identical to our previous apartment. Seriously: the layout was identical. But then we saw this place and went for it instantly. The layout makes a lot more sense. For our old apartment, when you walked in through the front door, you could go to the left for the extra bedrooms, or the right for the living room and our bedroom. We always went to the right, because we didn’t have any reason to go to the left. Pretty much, we didn’t use half of our apartment. With this layout, though, all of the rooms are together. It feels a lot more open, and it feels a lot more…homely. The lighting is nicer. The area is quieter. Our last apartment was right on top of a subway, so we couldn’t keep the window open while watching TV, because all we heard was the subway. Not anymore! Now all we hear is Kdramas being filmed. Woohoo!

Anyhow, we’ve got this place until December 2015, which is when our contract is up again. Hopefully we won’t have our landlord up our rent too much next time around. We’ll see. If you want to know more about the moving process, we also just did a TL;DR on it as well. Check that out, too. The blog post has more stories :D

We also have a few pictures of our place, but I’m not sure how to take nice apartment pictures. It’s a lot more challenging than outdoor pictures, or people pictures. Errr. So, here they are. Most of them are of Spudgy and Meemers, because they make the pictures better:

Comments

Special Features

Our New Apartment in Seoul!

1. Where are the popular places that you suggest living in Seoul? My husband and I may be moving there within the next couple of months.

2. I love love love your apartment’s floor. Is it real wood or some kind of magical imitation i don’t know about? I find wooden floors utterly beautiful, but in Brazil they aren’t really popular, specially in newer apartments. People say it’s too high maintenance, and not so great when the weather’s hot. I wouldn’t care about that… I kinda wanna live in a place like yours when I get a job (i’m still a student living with my parents) and some money…
    I also dream of having half of Martina’s makeup and cute accessories! It’s so incredibly expensive in here… You’re a lucky girl!

3. Dr.Meemers has a new perch from whence to perpetuate his scheming Meemerologistic vantage point of the city!!!!!!!!!

4. Could you tell us more about the kimchi fridge? O:

5. I think I’ve been where your apartment is. I mean, it was several years ago but I kind of recognize the street. Awesome place btw. I’d love a keyless entry for mine. Setting down an armload of groceries to fish out your keys is a pain in the ass that doesn’t belong in 2000 and gorram 14. Moving as well. I’d happily toss a few hundred dollars and dinner at a few folks to politely pack and move all my junk.

6. bex

if i saw that korean drama van i would: run outside and follow them untill i appear on tv :D

7. Maybe your hamster friend is actually a capybara trying to trick you. XD

8. And congrats on the Coway – I have been desperate for one since that 2PM CF. Actually if there is only one in the world, is that it there on your kitchen counter? But 2PM promised to give it to me!!

9. Is there anything fluffier than a cloud? Yes – the Meems!

10. I wish the apartments in Canada were this awesome and pet friendly.

11. I spy Sugarpill! And lots of it. Is that ALL of their Chromalusts? Cuz whoa, NICE.

Congratulations on the swanky new apartment! It looks really comfy.

12. You guys unpack and settle fast. I moved like 2.5 weeks ago and I still got some boxes of which I am like “ehhhh it will happen one of these days”

• Fortunately, the movers did most of the work for us. We only had a couple of boxes that we had to do ourselves :D

13. just testing to see if my comment will show up – my previous one (posted 5 hours ago) is stuck in “Your comment is awaiting moderation.” – mode. Can anyone help me with what’s going on? Thanks! :)

14. I love the full home automation. Answering the door while doing the do is definitely a plus. Curious what the buying process is like in Korea versus renting. Here in the U.S. the Korean apartment key money would be a nice fat down payment.

15. Your new apartment is so swanky! It is made even better by Sleepy Meemers and Spudgy! Plus I think the otally in season fairylights at a touch of pizazz. Yes.

16. I watched this and the TL;DR this morning, and then I got to meet you guys in person only a few hours later! It was so bizarre and wonderful and I was a nervous wreck and I couldn’t stop just STARING at you like an idiot because you look even more beautiful and handsome in person (i mean REALLY. I was blown away) and you guys were super nice and stopped to talk to us even though you were in a hurry and and and and my mind just went completely blank as I screamed internally at having FINALLY met you after watching all of your videos over and over since 2011! It took me at least two hours to calm down. If I ever run into you guys again I hope I’ll be able to make some intelligent conversation (I MEAN I HAVE A MASTER’S DEGREE) instead of that mindless stuttering you witnessed today. Oh man, I have never fangirled so hard.

Also, I know how hard it is to find an ideal place to live in Seoul but it looks like you did! Enjoy your lovely new apartment!

• That’s bizarre! I don’t remember you stuttering! But, I do agree: Martina is a lot more beautiful in person :) She’s a hottie!

Anyhow, hopefully we can see you again by the cafe one day!

• Oh. Maybe it was just my heart that was stuttering. It’s still trying to recover from that overdose of awesomeness that is Simon and Martina and SoooooooZeeeeeeee *_*