Nightlife in Korea: Bars, Clubs, and Dancing

September 27, 2012

Comments

So today we’re gonna talk about nightlife in Korea. DISCLAIMER: we didn’t do everything there is to do with Nightlife in Korea. We’ve never been to booking clubs or host bars, but we have been to a bunch of bars and dance clubs. So, for the latter two we can speak about with a lot of experience. For the former two, we’re basing this off of what our friends have told us.

Side note: none of our friends have actually gone to host bars themselves. They always tell the story like “well, I KNOW A GUY who goes and this is what he does” or “I’ve been with some people at a host bar and this is what they did, but I never did that myself.” You know, now that we think about it, we’re not even sure why we talked about host bars, because we doubt that any of you have ever went or actually have the desire to go yourselves. Do you? We made them sound, at first, like Ouran Host Club, but that’s a bit misleading, because Ouran Host Club is wonderful and magical and makes you feel special on the inside. Host clubs in Korea, from how they’ve been described to us, are a lot more…umm. Not innocent. Anyhow, the whole point of talking about this is just for you to know that they, indeed, do exist.

Dancing, though, we know! We just don’t do it that much. Hongdae’s where we usually go dancing. Club FF is our favourite, because they play Indie Music, both Korean and international. Just last weekend we were there and they played Crystal Castles, which is our most played band on iTunes EVER. But that’s just when it’s the two of us wanting to go out dancing together. If we’re with a group of friends and they’re looking for something more danceable, we go to the more Korean-ized dance clubs that play THAT GODFORSAKEN SONG FAR TOO MUCH. What is that song with the soccer dance? You know what I mean, right? What’s the name of this song? 100 points to the first team to name it! And if someone has a video of that dance, then 200 points! We never took a video of it ourselves. We got soooome footage of dancing at night when Martina broke her ankle, because she broke her foot when she tried to do another dance outside of the soccer dance. THAT DAMN SOCCER DANCE, I TELL YOU!

Otherwise, we talked about Hongdae’s Free Park a bit at the end. We really like it there, but we didn’t really describe it well. Basically, it’s a really small area, not really even a park, but it’s outdoors, by a swing set, with a few trees around it, and people just…hang out there. People bring their own drinks and just chat with friends. Other things happen around that area. Some people play live music. Sometimes there’s a Silent Disco, in which you rent a set of wireless headphones and dance to music that the DJ’s playing. It’s totally awesome, because – to you – you’re like “AHH YEAH DIS MAAH SONNNNGG!” and you can dance with a bunch of people, but to the outsiders, to those without headphones, it looks really weird watching people dance to music you can’t hear. Last Saturday there was impromptu boxing. Yep. A dude had boxing gloves and boxing helmets and let people box. We saw one dude, really arrogant, get knocked on his ass. Great times! Nothing like foreigners beating each other up for sport! But, no, really: it’s got a great vibe, the Free Park, and we hang out there whenever we get the chance.

Don’t ask us much about Gangnam nightlife. We’re a bit anti-Gangnam. Nothing against Psy. It’s just too stooshy for our tastes. Too rich for my blood, I’d say.

So, yeah! That’s a bit about nightlife in Korea. Long story short: hang out in Hongdae. It’s the best!

Comments

TL;DR

Nightlife in Korea: Bars, Clubs, and Dancing

1. maybe the song martina and simon are talking about is riverside by sidney samson here is the youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h911ObHyM_Q

2. Ooh, I wanna go tot Hongdae’s Free Park. It’s sounds awesome.

3. The soccer dance…uh…Ole Ole Ole? The Ricky Martina one? No?
    This Time for Africa?
    The Time of Our Lives?
    Hips Don’t Lie?

……….for some reason I don’t think you’re actually talking about a soccer/football song, but I’m not knowledgeable enough in kpop dances to know what you’re hinting at T_T

4. What is the soccer dance…..? is it SNSD Genie…? the 재기차기 part…? I haven’t actually heard of any dance being called a soccer dance so this is my closest guess….haha

5. OURAN HIGH SCHOOL HOST CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and yes, i indeed was thinking of host clubs while you guys were talking about this stuff!!!
    yeah!!! free park!!

6. Boobi Boobi .. lolz

7. what are hospitals like in korea?

8. Omg, in Canada, in most, or at least some Western bars, you will have spontaneous dancing happen, but it will be “line dancing”… I know one club in Calgary that at midnight, would put a classic generic country song that EVERYONE would line dance to on the floor! It was kinda weird, but once you get the dance and can dance along, it’s quite fun!! :D

9. Ah….drinking with Koreans….never ends with just one round. I think AT LEAST two and normally three or four….haha
    American style drinking is just so boring…..beer pong gets old even before the first game. At least, for me. haha

10. Hmm. Interesting topic this week.

Bars: Sounds like a place I’d like to go to. FOOD with my drinks. SEATS so that my heels don’t kill me. And no socialising with strangers means no random guys feeling me up. Awesome.

Dance clubs: I’ve seen a lot of organised dancing here in Australia as well, such as the Macarena, the Nutbush, and uh, I dunno a whole bunch of other dances I don’t know. I knew none of them. But I try anyway, and make a fool of myself, and don’t really care.

Booking clubs: So it’s like goukon (in Japan) but the partners are all there for you – as opposed to arranging it yourself. Not bad. I wouldn’t mind going with a friend.

Host clubs: Okay maybe I’ve been reading to many seinen manga or watching too many mature jdrama, but I did not think of OHSHC when you mentioned host clubs. I actually thought of yes, the horrible prices and the scandalous things that go on in there. I don’t think I’d enjoy it. I’d prefer a maid cafe.

• Fuuko, if you haven’t seen it already, you might like to watch this documentary about a host club in Osaka, Japan, called The Great Happiness Space. It’s a real eye-opener and the way/order in which it was filmed and edited really maximizes its impact on the viewer. I honestly can’t recommend it highly enough. I saw it a couple years ago on Netflix, but you might be able to find it elsewhere online. Here’s the link to its IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0493420/plotsummary

• lol you’re the 3rd person to recommend it to me. I guess I have to check it out huh? xD

11. Hmm Sexy men at a host club. >w< I might have to check this out when I get to Korea. Maybe. xDD Ouran High School host club! FTW! Dr. Meemersworth! I saw you hanging out behind Martina you cute kitty!

12. Martina, you sounded like Mae West at 4:09 when you said “Look at those sexy ladies over there.” I know we are young to know about Mae West (I learned about her back in high school), but she was a popular actress back in the black and white movie days.
    Okay, that was my boring comment for the day. Toodles!

13. haha i recognize those earring martina! Love em'<3 :D

14. Ha! I was in Seoul a few weeks ago and my friend and I stumbled upon a male host bar. We sat across the street at a resturant and ate and drank there as I watched all the hosts early in the night getting people inside, then one by one they were gone! My friend explained what the host bars were and I was fascinated with this and watching it from the outside! They were indeed some beautiful korean guys….but it’s just so funny you guys talked about this today because I recently just saw all this!

15. thats funny because thanks to your video I realised another cultural thing…..when you talked about BARS in Korea…I was like… WTF? how is it strange?it’s totally normal !!!we have the same kind of bars here, in Poland…..and that’s how I learned that canadian bars are more different than european ones….here, sadly, people don’t usually go to bars alone, meet random people or socialize with another tables…wow we are more eastern than we think…… well thank you guys for another useful information (even though it wasn’t planned) !!

16. so the organized dance is like the cupid shuffle in America :) everyone knows it and when it comes on YOU MUST DANCE O-o

• Cupid shuffle, cha cha slide, or cotton eye joe. the sad thing is YOU MUST DANCE!! You have no choice, you just start dancing automatically

17. VB

Wow, so in k-dramas when a character is getting picked up from drinking, they were at a BAR. I always thought they were at a swanky restaurant with bar service. :o

Love the Sakura Kiss reference! Ah, Ouran…

So from what I picked up on at the end is that there is NOTHING to do for free (except Hongdae) in US cities I’ve been in, they are some free events, parks, gardens, special open hours in museums, library events, even the odd block party etc. in the summer. No such thing in Korea?

18. Yeah and now in america, gangnam style is like an organized dance. Now if you even say gangnam style people will start dancing crazily…. Except some of them think its called gang man style…Kind of like solja boy used to be…

• My dad called me up the other day and asked me if I knew the song “Gundam Style,” which LOL, is a Japanese anime. Now I keep picturing the Gundam machines doing the horse dance.

• Oh that is so hilarious! My mum always calls it Gundam style as well. I think it’s because I love Gundam Seed and I guess because they’re both Asian she thinks it’s the same thing. Hahaha

19. Ouran High School host club!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOOOOOOOO GOOOOD!

20. Ooh, I can answer that!
    When my parents held their wedding 14 years ago, they had a normal white wedding like North American ones. The dad brings the bride up the aisle, there’s a priest/whatever the person is called making a long boring speech, etc. And then there was extra footage of the wedding where the bride and groom were in traditional Korean clothing and I forgot what exactly they did, but I think it involved something with the parents of the couple and tons of traditional food on the table. Oh, and I don’t think they had bridesmaids like they do in North America.
    Eh, if this does get picked, Simon and Martina will explain it better than I do. :P

21. Those organized dances are kinda like when the chicken dance is played? You kinda just automatically dance to it without thinking.

22. how is the dating life there for people..
    i mean, it seems if you don’t know anyone it can be very lonely there.,
    but can you talk about a person coming into South korea and wanting to make some new friends…how is that like?

• It’s hard…it’s better if you are a student because you can interact with your classmates and in that regard there are organized camps (in camps teachers too can bond with other members of their school)

23. I don’t like clubs or bars, hanging around the park or library is cool too…you never know you might find friends there too (but not in the park at night :))) )

24. My friend (don’t know if our other friend or my sister will join us) and I want to go to a club or bar when we go back next year. We’ll probably do the bar thing for sure because we’re not really into clubs (though we don’t drink that much), but a club isn’t out of the question since I do love to dance and she’s never been to a club. We’ll see~

I hope someone finds a video of that dance because now I’m extremely curious. xD In Chicago, we have the Cha-Cha Slide, and it’s a required dance to learn – at least it feels like it. LoL

25. Silent Discos are awesome! We went to one in the Science Museum a couple of years ago, when they organized Christmas events for adults, and I loved taking my headphones off just to fully experience the whole weirdness of the situation. They also had three DJs and hence three stations that you could listen to, with different rhythms that required different dance moves, which just added to the hilarity.
    This is OT, but Martina, you might appreciate the beauty of this wall sticker: http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/chocovenyl/product/donut .:) Unfortunately, it’s also really expensive, but maybe you could use it for inspiration!

26. Hah, those bars are pretty similar to Europe styled bars, cute.

27. Oh my God ! Martina you’ve lost SO MUCH WEIGHT since your Wank – Hospital Edition Video ! It’s Inconceivable !

28. Maybe this soccer dance is something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSCQcxSRrY There is club version of this song but without choreography: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDtnoHGTHXc Song title is “Dyskoteka gra”.

29. so basically… if you have no friends in korea, then your night life is forever alone? by which i mean, internet all night long?

• There are western style bars, which has been a bit of trend since a decade ago. But even so, people rarely go those bars alone. Your best bet is to go to clubs (or dance clubs as Simon and Martina referred), since its full of people, people wouldn’t look at you weird; furthermore, not many leave with the same party that they came with.

30. wow, crystal castles is amazing!! i listen to everything but this kinda music is the replay an embarassing amount of times on my iphone on the go kind of thing

could you guys make a video playlist of non korean bands that are in that category for you guys as well? id love to know your international tastes :D

31. Ouran High School Host Club! Totally Awesome!