Our Favorite Kpop of 2012

January 6, 2013

Comments

Ok, so this isn’t a real KpopCharts Update, because there’s no point in us doing those yet, since next Music Monday will be on Infinite’s “The Chaser,” since they won the Best Potential Kpop Music Monday award for our EYKAs. Yes, that means some other band has just been screwed over for this week. It would probably be Girls’ Generation’s “I Got a Boy,” buuuuut since it just came out it will probably hold on tight for two weeks. TVXQ’s “Catch Me” held on for almost three weeks. Girls’ Generation can do the same, right. RIGHT?!

Anyhow, since we’re not promoting voting on the KpopCharts, we thought we’d talk about our favorite Kpop songs and videos of the year. A lot of the time, what gets voted into first place on the KpopCharts doesn’t represent what we personally like the most. So we wanted to talk about those videos here – yes – not as thoroughly as we would in a Kpop Music Monday, but at least you can know what songs we happen to love.

Mostly, it was the girl groups that got the shaft this year. The first half of our talk is mostly about the girl groups that didn’t get voted in, while the second half is about the boys. We did review all the boys we talked about. We just wanted to talk about how our opinions changed of those songs and videos. For those of you who are upset that girl groups get the short end of the stick on the KpopCharts – believe me – we’re upset as well, and we want to give them a bigger chance. We’re trying to find a solution for it on the KpopCharts. We think we’re almost there. And – no – us doing TWO KPOP MUSIC MONDAYS A WEEK is not the answer. We need some equalizing factor…or something.

Anyhow, I’m sure a lot of you will be like “Y U NO MENTION ____” Yes, we can’t talk about every band that is out there. We just wanted to talk about what stuck out for us the most. I’m sure there’ll be other bands and songs that pop up in our minds later that we’ll be like “oh! We should have mentioned them!” but it’ll be too late. Also, there are some bands that we distinctly were NOT impressed with, which we will IN NO WAY MENTION OUT LOUD. We won’t incur the wrath of the internets. But, let’s face it, some songs and videos sucked hard. We just won’t say which ones :D

Yeah! So that’s it. In case you haven’t seen some of the videos, we put them in a playlist below! Check it out from the second video (we don’t know how to embed a playlist starting from a specific video, rather than just the first. Sorry!)

Comments

Kpop Charts Update

Our Favorite Kpop of 2012

1. Jen

Hahah Shinee was how i got into kpop too! I was looking up a japanese movie on utube, and i looked over and there was Ring Ding Dong…which i loved..which then led me to Super Junior (Sorry Sorry) and then from there all the rest. :-D And now i’m planning my second vacation to SK and hopefully will be teaching over there in two years. We shall see! lol.

2. No Mercy, What Is Love, Oh My God and Don’t Hate me!!!!!!

3. best song was led apple’s time’s up underrated but amazing song

4. GET OUT THE WAY!! YESSSH!!!
    And you mentioned Younha and J-Min too. I like you :p

5. TROUBLEMAKER WAS RELEASED IN 2011.

sorry I had to get that out of my system. For the 2012 EYKAs, there were hundreds of comments asking “Y U NO include TM?” Sigh.

6. Dancing Queen was epic. I haven’t come across a girl group that are so cute and likeable in ages :D

7. You said it. I’m used to the bashing, but in this one, S&M were already super tactful? I felt like flipping a table when I saw this. You just can’t please everyone. =_= http://unpopular-eyk-confessions.tumblr.com/post/39635273777

• Isn’t that confession referring to something that was said during the EYKAs, not this video? This video is tactful. As for presenting their own opinions, to be fair, that confession said that S&M should do it. I guess I’ve just seen a lot worse confessions written on that tumblr (imo).

8. I love how every person who’s mentioned Epik High so far has a different favourite song. Just shows how ALL their songs are great~~ XD *is biased*

• Haha, I couldn’t choose between DHM or New Beautiful, I love both >.< Though after some reconsideration have to say the New Beautiful is my favourite Epik High song from their latest album XD

9. The list you’ve made has almost every of my favorite song of the year.
    There’s one missing though : I love whistle in song (I totally loved Troublemaker, the whistle part is my cellphone ringtone) so Mama from Gangkiz is one of my favorite song of 2012. The drama mv is good, not awesome, but I like it. And I really like the dance (in the dance mv) with the hand moves for the whistle part. in fact, I like all the hand gestures they do.

• Wow never expected anyone to mention Gangkiz. Yea they were actually pretty decent.

10. Hahaha that system reminds me of this board game “Puerto Rico”, where every card that isn’t chosen in a round has money piled on it in the next round. And if it STILL isn’t chosen in the next round, even more money is piled on it.

Anyway yeah, good suggestion!! Now how will I explain it to all the complaining fangirls T_T

11. REPRESENT!!! AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE :D

12. I’ve noticed JYP often replaces his whisper with an actual appearance or some other cameo – eg. on money bills or by just including his Diamond Headphones in the MV. In The DJ Is Mine, he just makes an appearance.

Speaking of JYP’s whisper…did he write She’z – My Way? Because that song is amazing, and I swear that’s a ‘Jay Why Pee’ right at the start….

13. Ah you guys are such electronica junkies :p

Here’s my favourite Korean songs of the year (in PLAYLIST MODE!!): http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmhZeTp2c040YWe4bS9ihShlLlwihI8ns&feature=mh_lolz

Random thoughts I had while watching this:
    – You’re eating my macadamia nuts!!! :D
    – Martina’s talk about OC was prematurely cut off D: Like….like what? Like this yo? (Nine Muses too T_T)
    – I apologise for not nominating Nine Muses or Dal Shabet for anything. Nine Muses was originally nominated for Best Dance, and Dal Shabet for Most Bizarre, but yea, they got removed in favour of more outstanding videos.
    – It’s kinda sad, but while I watched this I kept thinking about the hate comments that could result from this…. =_= It’s sad how people nitpick everything you say these days.
    – I’m going to take a wild guess and say that Simon’s favourite GD song was Without You? It’s full of autotune but the girl was great. And I don’t expect you to love Light It Up as much as I did – hip-hop ain’t really your thing huh?

You’re still trying to convince people to stop being biased? Wow. I admire you. Keep it up yo!!

14. I loved Tarentallegra by Xiah, it was really out of the box and the video was awesome. Another one of my favorite songs is Monster by big Bang. I totally love the music video and the song is just beautiful. Catch me by TVXQ. I dont even know how many times I listened to it, lost count. FT Island’s i wish, awesome song with Spanish guitars. Lastly, Exo’s Mama. Just adore that song. Don’t even know the names of the members yet, but that’s one of the best songs of last year for me.

Oh i forgot to add infinite’s only tears, im addicted to that song. Nuest, not over you.

15. My faves this year were

Big Bang: Blue (!!!) & Fantastic Baby

Junsu: Tarantallegra (particularly loved the rap by Aziatix’ Flowsik! I want a JYJ/Aziatix collab SO badly!)

SHINee – Sherlock (Clue/Note)

BOA – Only One

PSY – Gangnam Style (because its phenom status doesn’t detract from its original awesomeness.)

_____

EXO’s Mama grew on me the more I heard it, but I think that was mostly because it reminded me so much – in essence and feel – of TVXQ’s Triangle.

16. Im an ELF but i think my favorite-favorite song of 2012 was Fantastica Baby oh and Tasty´s You Know Me

17. sunnyhill-> grasshopper song
    fiestar and iu -> moonlight sea
    chaos-> kiss kiss
    b1a4-> tried to walk
    ga in-> bloom
    son dam bi-> tears are falling
    glam-> party
    ulala session-> beautiful night
    boa-> the shadow

18. I would definitley say Gains Bloom was one of the best songs this year!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Rem

My top songs this year were
    U-KISS -Stop Girl it really is addicting
    EXID-I Feel Good
    EPIK HIGH-Kill this Love
    SISTAR-Loving U
    BLOCK B-Mental Breaker
    ZE:A-Phoenix
    Urban Zakapa-All the Same
    Phantom-Burning
    Secret-Poison

20. It’s so hard to choose my favorite song of the year, mainly because i usually don’t remember when songs were release. But i think that will be (in no particular order) :
    Led Apple – Let the wind blow
    Beast : Midnight
    T-ara : Day by day
    Secret : Talk that
    K.will : please don’t (but more for the video than the song, wich is great but not my favorite)
    BTOB : father and WOW
    100% : all of their song were AMAZING ( i loved Bad boy, can’t hear this song without dancing on it. and a guy like me was just <3)

Tablo : Bad (i know it had been release in 2011, but i heard it in 2012 so it count. Plus it's one of my favourite song ever)

Actually this year i was more impress by male group than female. But i was still disappointed that girl artist didn't won any EYK award. I mean like Aillee or juniel released awesome song and have beautiful voice. Same for Secret that i really love and non of their video have made it to the first place ( so sad (°^°)). Anyway thank you for sharing your opinion. It would be fun if you do that more often

• I know right ! They’ve amazing skill when it comes to dance and sing. When you hear them singing you doesn’t have the feeling that there rookies! And the choregraphy is ssssssssoooooo addictive! I really like it

21. It’s so hard to choose my favorite song of the year, mainly because i usually don’t remember when songs were release. But i think that will be (in no particular order) :
    Led Apple – Let the wind blow
    Beast : Midnight
    T-ara : Day by day
    Secret : Talk that
    BTOB : father and WOW

22. My favorite song, based on amount of plays, was Sexy, Free and Single. I listened to that song a RIDICULOUS amount of times.

Though I do have to admit to singing “One Way Ticket” anytime I was traveling or was doing something related to tickets. Mainly at the airport this summer.

23. My Favourite songs this year that really made an impact/stuck on me based on sound/lyrics etc.:

Exo’s ‘What is Love’
    B.A.P’s ‘Power’ & ‘No Mercy’
    Nell’s ‘The Day Before’ + entire cd tracklist of Slip Away+ white Night & Holding Onto Gravity ( I turned into a huge Nell fan this year)
    Ga In’s ‘Bloom’
    G-Dragon’s ‘One of a Kind’ & ‘That XX’
    Xia Junsu’s ‘Uncommited’
    B1A4’s ‘Tried To Walk’
    Boyfriend’s ‘Janus’ & ‘Love Style’
    Ailee’s ‘Heaven’
    2AM’s ‘I wonder if you hurt like me’
    Jo Kwon’s ‘Just A Kiss’
    Big Bang’s ‘Bad Boy’
    INFINITE’s ‘The Chaser’
    Kim Sunggyu’s/Infinite “Only Tears’
    PHANTOM’s ‘Burning’
    TOXIC’s ‘LONELY’+Get Out+No More (They brought back my rock/sent me back to J-rock/ feels~ I really really want these boys to have more recognition, especially since they produce/pen their own stuff and formed before debuting, so they’re like authentically breaking the past K-pop trend)

and others, too many, but these were my favs!

24. for me, my fave K song of the year – i discovered it thanks to EYK – has to be Nell – The Day Before…its such an amazing song and video and i find myself listening to it soooo many times…will def be on the lookout for more songs by Nell.

25. I have to say that I really liked Luv Me by D-Unit and Bad Boy by 100%. They are both rookie groups that are kinda being pushed out by the sheer number of other groups coming out, but I think that both were very good songs. I listened to each of them once just to experiment and they ended up getting stuck in my head for extended amounts of time. Bad Boy also had a really impressive dance to it. Rock Your Body by VIXX was also a great song. I think a lot of rookie groups out this year are really in it to win it and are putting out GREAT stuff yet aren’t doing well because there are so many great groups.

26. My top 12 Kpop Songs for 2012:
    (I did my best to be unbiased)

1. Evan–Trying Not to Remember
    2. Junsu/Xia–Uncommitted
    3. missA–Touch
    4. Byul–Bad
    5. Boyfriend–Janus
    6. BTOB–WOW
    7. Bang Yong Guk (ft. Yoseob)–I Remember
    8. B.A.P.–Warrior
    9. Orange Caramel–Lipstick
    10. SHINee–The Reason
    11. F.T. Island–Severely
    12. Kim Sung Gyu–I Need You

27. Wings by Daesung lifts my spirit EVERY SINGLE TIME! Favorite track of the year :D

28. I don’t think they hate it. I can’t speak for them either, but it seems like they love interacting with us Nasties, and voting is a part of the interaction. I just wish them to have, in the future, more chances and time to also talk about what they personally want to talk about.

29. YES! EXO-K “What is Love” is also one of my absolute favorites of 2012. And I’m not even EXO-biased. At first, I didn’t really like the background music because it sounded so repetitive, but Baekhyun and D.O.’s vocals more than make up for it. Then it quickly grew on me. LOVE IT! I also love EXID’s “Every Night”. I would have LOVED to see that reviewed as a KMM. The dancing and the plot were very interesting. All of Epik High’s videos as well.

30. What is Love was definitely my favorite, so much so I bought both the Korean and Chinese….and memorized the lyrics to both…I like the chorus more in Chinese, but the rest of the song in Korean…

31. Thank you~~ I didn’t find out about EYK Awards until after voting ended (but I will be ready next time!). I was a little surprised Super Junior didn’t receive an award, but I know the ones who won probably deserved those EYK awards! I’m happy you guys mentioned Sexy, Free, and Single along with Spy as two of your favourite Kpop songs of 2012 =) Super Junior!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Could there possibly be a “first monday Simon and Martina choose the video to review” thing? As an Alaskan, I don’t really hear about many groups other than those attached to big label companies or a big fan base and I believe that is influencing voting. Your chart updates help but I think some amazing songs didn’t get chosen just because big bang or g dragon released a song on the same week. Ya know? Also it is just really fun to watch you guys review videos that you honestly enjoy. ^_^

33. A video that stood out to me this year was, Exid’s Everynight! A super catchy song, plus the video has a surprising twist to it towards the end~ ;P

34. Hmm. my favorites….. that’s a really tough decision! Top three Completely unbiased I would probably choose:
    Girl Groups:
    Dal Shabet – Have Don’t Have
    2Ne1 – I love you
    Orange Caramel – Lipstick
    Boy Groups:
    UKISS – Stop Girl
    SHINee – Sherlock
    Big Bang – Fantastic Baby

Overall, great job on the video! I love hearing your opinions on the songs you love!!

35. Infinite chaser :) I really can’t stop listening to it still >< so glad it's getting reviewed Monday!! :D

36. My favourite kpop songs of the year: u-kiss – believe, boa – only one, super junior – spy, miss a – i don’t need a man, u-kiss – stop girl, shinee – sherlock, shinwha – venus, g-dragon – crayon, t-ara – sexy love, j-min – stand up :D

37. Ah yes, Exo’s ” What is Love?” made me revamp how I sing along with ballads, mostly because of YOU, Simon. I can’t listen to this song without singing “I LOOOOST MY PANTS”. An artist that made me take a double look is Xia Junsu. I got into kpop after the disbandment of TVXQ and wasn’t familiar with the members, but when I listened to his album, I must have missed ALOT then. Xiah’s Tarantallegra was a catchy song, but I preferred his ballads ESPECIALLY “Even though I already know”. I know you guys don’t like ballads, but I can just imagine how much you guys will tear that music video apart, especially that WTF scene at the end.

Ahem, there you go, my two cents.

BTW, Can’t wait to hear what Jaejoong has to offer this year.

• @LissandBliss:disqus I also got into K-pop after the disbandment of TVXQ. Xia Junsu’s Tarantallegra was the first kpop song I had ever listened to. Afterwards, the more I learned about him the more I came to have a high respect for him. Not only as a artist but a human being also. I wish Xia and JYJ the best success in their lives.

38. You could make two different kinds of K-Pop Music Mondays… One with girl groups and another one with boy groups. Good idea, huh? *need more kpop music mondays, uarghhh*

39. Gona try reeaaallly hard to not be bias while listing my favorite songs of 2012 (no specific order)
    Block B – Nillili Mambo
    SHINee – Sherlock
    F.cuz – Dreaming I
    Nu’est – Face
    Afterschool – Flashback
    Boyfriend – Janus
    BtoB – Insane

40. My bias group is SNSD, but my favourite K-Pop song of the year is After School’s “Flashback”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!