Our New Korean Apartment!

June 26, 2011

Comments

Ok, so here it finally is. You’ve seen bits and pieces of it from our videos, and now you can get a full idea of what the whole thing looks like.

For those of you who don’t know, we’re no longer teaching in Korea. Simon stopped teaching last year, while Martina just finished her contract in June. We’re now working full-time on the site and video making. When Martina finished her contract with her school, we had to move out of our old apartment. It was under the school’s name, as they were the ones who put down the deposit and were paying the rent. Our new apartment is now our own, not paid for by anyone but ourselves, with whatever money we earn from the site (and from your support)

Anyhow, enough back story. If you can’t tell by now, we like this place A LOT more than our last place. It’s huge in comparison. It’s 34 Pyeong, while our last one was supposedly around 19 Pyeong…almost double! A pyeong, if you don’t know, is a Korean unit of measurement, how we use square feet or square meters. It’s around 35 sq feet or so per Pyeong. Factor that number in, along with a denial of r squared pi, and you get roughly 1200 sq feet. Pretty sweet!

We’re really happy about this place, because it’s not only still in Bucheon, but it’s actually right beside our old apartment. We still overlook the park, and can take Spudgy there for walks (though lately, in this summer heat, Spudgy’s become too lazy to go for long walks). We’re just on the other corner of the park now. No biggy! Our neighbourhood is a bit different as well, as there are totally different restaurants and shops in this part of town. It’s funny that we can say that, because it sounds like we’re far away from where we lived before, when we can actually SEE our old apartment from our place. That’s the cool thing about Korea: it’s so condensed that every few blocks or so provides a new world of shops and places to discover.

There’s a bit of a scary story behind this place. Well, not scary, but it provided us with a scare. When we first saw this place with our realtor (who speaks awesome English by the way) we fell in love with it instantly. We told them that we’re interested in taking it, and so we started getting the funds in order to do so. And so, the day that we were going to sign the contract and put down our deposit, we get a call from our realtor 20 minutes before we were about to go and he tells us that someone else just nabbed it from right underneath our noses. We were furious! Luckily, after he made some calls, an hour later our realtor found another apartment, in the exact same building, three stories down. What’s even better, is that the apartment he found was muuuch nicer than the one we had originally planned on purchasing, and it wasn’t any more expensive at all. Score! Even better, is that their moving date was closer to our moving date: the original one would have us moving in two weeks earlier, which wouldn’t be convenient for us at all. Double score! We really lucked out with this place.

Anyhow, we know people are going to ask, so we’ll answer: the rent is 900,000 won a month, and 20,000,000 won down as a deposit. Our last place, according to our school, cost 600,000 won a month, and 10,000,000 won down as a deposit. The deposit is quite huge, yes, and it’s quite forbidding for some. The Korean deposit system is quite odd: we get that deposit money back at the end of the year (we signed a contract for one year), while we don’t get back any of the rent money. Supposedly, the reason why the deposits are so big is for insurance purposes: if you don’t pay your rent, it’s very difficult for your landlord to evict you. The process takes at least six months for an eviction, from what we’ve been told. By giving a big deposit, your landlord is safe, kinda, from you skipping out on your rent.

Yeah! We’d like to thank our realtor and recommend him as well. If you’re looking for places in Bucheon (and you should, because it’s an awesome city) and want an English speaking realtor, contact Benesta Real Estate at 011-9217-7832. He was really quite helpful, and continues to be helpful after we got this place. Also, thanks go out to Trip Deuce Media for the background music for the video. Woot woot!

Comments

Random Magical Items!

Our New Korean Apartment!

1. Wow! I love ur officetel!!!! I think I’d rather live there than my own house which is pretty big. I swear if I ever move to Korea I’d live in a officetel to see what it feels like. WE ALL LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Wow! I love ur officetel!!!! I think I’d rather live there than my own house which is pretty big. I swear if I ever move to Korea I’d live in a officetel to see what it feels like. WE ALL LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Wow! I love ur officetel!!!! I think I’d rather live there than my own house which is pretty big. I swear if I ever move to Korea I’d live in a officetel to see what it feels like. WE ALL LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Wow! I love ur officetel!!!! I think I’d rather live there than my own house which is pretty big. I swear if I ever move to Korea I’d live in a officetel to see what it feels like. WE ALL LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Wow! I love ur officetel!!!! I think I’d rather live there than my own house which is pretty big. I swear if I ever move to Korea I’d live in a officetel to see what it feels like. WE ALL LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Wow! I love ur officetel!!!! I think I’d rather live there than my own house which is pretty big. I swear if I ever move to Korea I’d live in a officetel to see what it feels like. WE ALL LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. You should have more T-shirts for sale.It will be the easiest and most cool way how we could support you ;) ?

8. I think I will have to cry for a little now, because my husband and I spend more than that on a 1DK close to Tokyo. Your appartment looks amazing, and all the way through the video I thought “THIS MUST BE SO EXPENSIVE!” Turns out, it actually isn’t… I’m jealous.

P.S. Yay, Kapibara-san!

9. I think I will have to cry for a little now, because my husband and I spend more than that on a 1DK close to Tokyo. Your appartment looks amazing, and all the way through the video I thought “THIS MUST BE SO EXPENSIVE!” Turns out, it actually isn’t… I’m jealous.

P.S. Kapibara-san, YAY!

10. dude!! that’s like 900$ bucks a month for a 3 roomed apartment (or officetel in korea lol)  that’s friggin cheap!!! awesome!

11. You could do something like this
    i drew a picture, cuz idk how to explain it.. im weird..
    Or spatter the wall with paint, put up pictures of T.O.P, or put pictures of you guys.

12. you guys should totally hang up kpop stuff or pictures of Spudgy luv u Spudgy.

13. Ahahahaha, you don’t have a Korean dog until you get his hair dyed, lol. I’m surprised we didn’t do that for ours when we were over there. And that was really strange to me to see the washer under the stove…I guess we had an “officetell” too or whatever you called it because ours had an air conditioner, fridge, and a washer/dryer. We didn’t really use our kimchi drawer thing though, haha.

14. Every time I hear the Supdgy voice, I keep thinking the next line should be “TEEN GIRL SQUAD”

15. 안녕 ! You guys should TOTALLY paint a mural of you and spudgy’s memories on the back wall of your room ! like have designs and cartoon versions of you and spudgy doing activites you did in korea. ^^ hope this helps x)

Eatyourkimchi 파이팅!

~ Ontario, Canada Represent xP

16. Wow that desposit sounds ridiculous…but i think your new apartment is awesome! I love all the stickers u guys put up lol By the way i have the same makeup palette Martina has :)

17. Hey!! you guys should get a p.o. box or something of the sort…and let your fans decorate your wall! It would be an awesome project!! and trust me..we will send you epic drawing!!>:)

18. Wow, you guys are paying half the amount for your awesome offictel with a gorgeous view than My roomates and I are paying for our tiny two bedroom apt looking out to a large tree. That is so cool ~ I can’t wait to take my visit to Korea :)

19. a mural would look great on your bedroom wall! ^^

20. If I could play either of you in Fat Princess… my heart would explode and I would die happy.

My first apartment was 470 square feet… I WIN!!!

21. did all those cool pictures on your cupboards and stuff come with the place or did you guys put them up yourselves?

22. your new place is so cute! i love those frames you put up! i’d love to have one xD

23. I think you guys should put hello kitties all over the bedroom!!! Just kidding…That would be kind of scary…

24. Great place guys!!

Mr. Sazunic finally made an appearance!!!!

25. Coool. For the price too of that size not bad.

26. Your new place is awesome! (゚∀゚)

27. OMFG! IT’S SO AWESOME! I think you should decorate your bedroom with the pictures you guys draw! Like make it a big Simon and Martina holding hands with a little Spudgy sitting between you! I think that’d be awesome!

28. I’m just curious were you got the amazingly cute stickers all over the place….did it come with the officetell or did you guys buy them?

• I was wondering the same thing. Maybe you can put them as a WTF or like.. have a small corner or something. Or y’know… if there’s a website where we can buy them (if they’re stickers, that is) please tell us. :D

29. I’ll definitely donate once I get my allowance 8D

30. Oh…mai…gah. That deposit must have inflicted MASSIVE DAMAGE on your wallets. Jeebus.

31. i sit on a ball at my desk to, lol i love the pic in your makeup box martina

32. It’s so awesome that you guys can make money with what you seem to enjoy!!^^

33. Martina, you should open an Etsy store or something and sell similar box-frames filled with glorious cuteness. I would most certainly purchase. :< In the meantime, some donating will be done.

34. awwwwwesome!!!. it is 레알 beautiful. i envy U! I’ll give you the opportunity to decorate my house :D

35. The rent is acceptable as the apartment has 2 bedrooms and comes furnished… but that deposit is actually HUUUUGE!

36. Wow, didn’t know that the rent is so cheap in Korea! I lived in an (oooold) apartment that costed about the same as your officetel but it was even smaller than your old officetel. Wished the rents weren’t so high in Tokyo. :/

By the way, you are drawing on your cupboards, right? (like, when you’re talking about the recycled props in Kpop videos)=D Niceeee~

37. I agree with Corinna.  I would have a huge picture of TOP on the wall behind the bed.  That would be awesome!!!!

Martina, where did you buy that glorious make-up set?!!!!

38. just put up a HUGE Big Bang or TOP poster on the wall of your master bedroom LOLL~

39. decoration options.. tiny pictures of all your subscribers ~<:D