Three Years in Korea!

May 29, 2011

Comments

Ladies and gentlemen, we have now been here for three years. Holy, holy crap! We did not foresee this at all. We came to Korea back at the end of May 2008 and thought we’d just teach here for a year, and then go to another country and start teaching there. After our first year was up, we decided to stay for another year, because we really liked it. We were sure we’d leave after that year.

By the end of our second year, things started to look a bit different. Our site and videos were keeping us really busy so Simon stopped teaching and decided to focus on making the website better, while Martina signed on with her school for another year. In the year that followed we wanted to see how much further we could go with the site. Would it be just a hobby for us to give up at the end of the year when we left the country, or would we put all of our energy and time into these videos and make it our full-time job? We decided with the latter. And so we bought better gear for our videos, upgraded our movie editing skills, and planned for new segments. We were shocked to see that we went from a few thousands views to over two million video views a month. WOW! AMAZING!!!

The end of our third year in Korea is almost up. This Thursday marks Martina’s last day at her school (she’s an emotional wreck as she loves loves loves her school) and we just moved into a new apartment. We’re both ready to work on making more videos and to add some new weekly segments that we always wanted to do, but never had time for. *Simon and Martina high five*

Eatyourkimchi is our baby and now it’s our only job. We’re not getting funded by the government or getting support from any organization. We’re doing this on our own with the help of whatever ad revenue we make from this site and from our videos, and also from our t-shirt sales. Speaking of which, we just recently sold out of t-shirts, so thanks to all of you who supported us by buying a shirt! We really really appreciate it. We’re looking for a new printer as we speak and can hopefully start rolling out some new designs :D

For those of you who would like to help us out and support us in some way, we have a support page set up. Any contributions would be greatly appreciated…especially by the Spudgy, who receives an extra minute of head-scratches and tummy-touches for every dollar given. More importantly, your contributions help keep the site going, so we can keep coming up with more videos and keep upgrading our gear in hopes of upping our quality, and keep the ramen in our tummies.

And so we come to this video, which is a compilation our memories from this past year. Really everyone, thank you so much for watching our videos and supporting us with your heartwarming emails and comments. What started off as just a hobby, just something we wanted to do to for our families has changed our lives to an unbelievable degree, and we couldn’t have done it if you didn’t like our videos.

Also, a special thanks go out to Mark Rajakovic for letting us use his awesome music. The song in this video is called 1976, and if you like his music check out his album via iTunes.

Comments

Random Magical Items!

Three Years in Korea!

1. I learned to love Korea because of you guys^^

thank you for showing us this great country…

2. OMG You’re making me all choked up here! *sniff sniff*
    I can’t tell you how happy we (I’m speaking for Mads her as well ;P) are that you stayed in Korea – and especially that you didn’t leave last summer! To think we would’ve missed you then >.< And of course we're happy that you keep churning out those hilarious informative videos :) Definitely weekly highlights! I hope they give you a good send-off, Martina. I have no doubt the love's mutual :)
    Sorry, for going on and on, but please consider making Eat Your Kimchi tanks, too, and not just T-shirts. Then I'd buy 2! Anyways, just a suggestion :)
    Here's to another 3 years at least! 화이팅!!

3. Cheers!  Here is to many more wonderful years and videos to come!  Love ya guys!

4. That’s such a beautiful story !! I wish you guys all the best for your future years (in Korea or not) !!

Seriously, when I first started to watch your videos I was just curious about Korea but you made me love this country and your videos ! You rock !  And you’re such a sweet couple ! ^_^

I’m your biggest fan from Switzerland ! =D

5. Congratulations! I am really happy that I found your videos on youtube (and your site afterwards) and I won’t stop telling people about you two!=D

So please keep up doing eatyourkimchi!

Love from Tokyo <33

6. You guys have been such a great inspiration on love and fun. The best part about your videos is that they speak to much more than being in Korea, but just experiencing life. THANK YOU!

7. Congratulation from Vancouver! You two rock!  <3

8. Do you know Flattr? It is a so-called “social micropayment” site you could also use for monetary support. It is still rather young and not very popular outside of Europe though, but I find the idea quite convincing. For more info (and to sign up), go to https://flattr.com. I’m going to flattr your twitter account in the meantime, so sign up and claim your money!

9. Congratulations dearest Simon and Martina! I really really really enjoy all your videos on Korean lifestyle and reviews over anything from music to WTFinds! I wish the 2 of you, all the best with your site, which is also now somewhat your career and may more revenue pour in through ads!.
    Love you both, and keep it up!

10. I think I’ve been watching your videos for a year or so now…whoaa! I didn’t think it was this long either :D You guys are awesome. I love your video, your humor, etc. So congratulations on your third year anniversary! You’ve done a fantastic job!

11. I think I’ve been watching your videos for a year or so now…whoaa! I didn’t think it was this long either :D You guys are awesome. I love your video, your humor, etc. So congratulations on your third year anniversary! You’ve done a fantastic job!

12. Congrats on your 3rd anniversary in korea! Love your videos and hope to see more in the future ^^ will support you guys!!!!

13. 축하합니다!!! =)))

14. Aww, you two are really cute togheter^^ perfect Couples (:

15. Congratulations!!! I started watching your videos around a year and a half ago now and started to learn so much more about Korea because of it. I stay up waiting for your music mondays now  even if I do live 2 hours ahead of you guys. You two have become a part of my daily life and as creepy as it sounds, I feel so close to you.  YAY! Can’t wait for more weird and wacky segments of EatYourKimchi.

16. Congratulations! ^^

17. this was so heartwarming! Happy 3 years in Korea. I just wanted to thank you both for making my mondays something to look forward to. Thank you for making me have a passion for Korea. thank you.
    -Jess M.

18. Happy 3 years in korea guys!
    And an early happy 4 year anniversary to you too, :)!

19. I have beeen watching u guys from the beggining, and you guys are amazing..truly inspirational.

20. Tsu

Wish you many years to come with the website! Be as charming and as entertaining as only you guys can be! Your humble fan here! :)

21. You guys are so funny, I love your videos.  You look like two people very much in love & having the time of your life.  Keep up the good work & best of luck to you with your new direction in life.

22. This is a really sweet video! A lot of the stand out moments over the past while, all my favourite things too. Mordeny! Sexy windows! Manly sweeping! I can’t wait to see what you guys are able to do in the next year with more time now. :)

23. Yes, I remember being so fascinated when I found your channel a long time ago as well! XD I started with your korean snacks videos – where you raided the convenience store and rated snacks… then i started watching all your videos and then you guys suddenly started really rolling out those videos! lol congrats on where you guys have come, thanks to all the hard work and FUN you’ve put in! I’m korean myself and was born in korea, but I still love your videos and hope more people from other countries get to learn more about korea from the eyes of a “foreigner”!
    ANYWAY,
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOT GO SIMON AND MARTINA! (COUGH-UOFTALUMNIS-COUGH) WOOOOT!

24. Ah three years have passed and yet bigger things are yet to come out of EatYourKimchi  or Simon & Martina.  Looking forward to your growth & success!