Travel Tips for South Korea

February 25, 2015

Comments

I gotta say, this was an odd TL;DR to handle, because it put us in a very different position. Everything we do in these videos of ours is from the perspective of people living in South Korea. However, we meet tons of people that are just visiting for a week or two, and so we started wondering about what we could say that might make their stay easier. Learning how to recycle or turn on your ondol isn’t really that useful if you’re in a hotel, right? We’ve met far more visitors than expats in Korea, so we figured it was time we talked more specifically to the crowd of people that are coming to South Korea for a vacation. So here are some more things you should prepare for if you’re just visiting. Let’s go!

Don’t Take Black Taxis

I don’t really hear people talking about this enough. Well, let me rephrase that: you can take black taxis, but they’re more expensive than regular taxis. Why? Supposedly they’re given black taxis if they drive ten years without an accident. Hell if I know how anyone could do that. I almost get clipped on a daily basis. IT’S SO STRESSFUL TO DRIVE HERE! So, if you’re ok with paying extra, take a black taxi, and just ask him how he’s so damned good at driving.

Don’t Read Korea Tourism’s Website

If you want to wear a hanbok and climb a mountain and eat bibimbap (did you know that Korea has four distinct seasons?!) then it might be your thing, but I’ve always found that Korea Tourism is more written from the perspective of what Korean people think foreigners are interested in rather than what foreigners are interested in. Korea Tourism would better be named “Korean Pride.” And, don’t get me wrong – climbing mountains and wearing hanboks and doing cultural stuff is great in itself, but Korea Tourism isn’t really trying to suggest things that anyone I’ve ever spoken with is interested in. They’ll suggest stuff like “Go to the Tulip Festival down in flin-flon nowhere” or stuff like that. AH! I know this point is gonna piss some people off. That’s just our take on the KTO. Maybe your experience is different.

Sleep In

Korean businesses don’t really open early. They’re more likely to stay open late instead, which is great for us, because we’re night owls, but we’ve had people visit us that are morning people, and they were bored to death in the mornings. Most of the cool shopping areas, the good street food stalls, all open later in the afternoon. So push yourself to stay awake later; you won’t miss out on much.

Take Your Hotel’s Business Card

This might sound basic, but we’ve had friends visit us once and, after teaching them how to drink in Korea, they didn’t know how to get back to their hotel. It would have been easier if they had their hotel’s card on them, and just had given that to the taxi. All taxis have Navigation systems in them, so they can type in the addresses easily. So, just in case, bring a card with you, so you can enjoy a night if drinking if you feel like it :D

So that’s it for all we can think of at the moment. I’m sure we’ll remember something else in the comments and we’ll mention it there for sure. Otherwise, let us know if you’ve traveled to South Korea and if there were some things you wished you knew before you got here. Yeah!

Comments

TL;DR

Travel Tips for South Korea

1. Hello, sorry if this is not the right place to ask my question but it concern me personaly: How is the relation between Korean and the neighbouring country people? What Korean think of Chinese people? Japenese people, etc. ? Because my parents are chinsese, I would like to visit Korea but it seems like they find it silly for me to be interested in a country which was against China… (sorry for my english, but even if my parents are chinsese I was born in France so french is my first langage,…yes it is a bit complicated…)

2. One very important tip for traveling in the Netherlands. Buy a anonymous OV chipkaart (Openbaar vervoer) meaning public transportation chip card (I think it’s 7 euros). With that card you will be able to travel on the bus, subway, train and tram. Just put some money on it and check in and out every time you want to use public transportation. You can also download a very very similar app for all public transportation this app has information about the time, place, price and best route to take. This is very helpful because it combines all forms of transportation. So it will tell you: take a 5 min walk to bus 40 on street…. at 11:00 to central station then take train at 11:30 to Rotterdam… on platform 4 to … then take the subway … and walk 8 min. (it will show you a map.) It has saved my ass multiple times. The app is called 9292.

Other then that if you want to eat something for a reasonable price stay away from the touristic places :)

3. I don’t really have tips for anywhere special, but I’ll be visiting Japan this summer with my class and I was wondering if you may have some more tips about going there? I’m doing a home stay in Osaka and then taking the train up to Tokyo after so I’m a bit worried about getting lost, doing things wrong and yada yada. What are some important things that you must do before and after? Any precautions that you usually take and what not?

4. So I’m from the suburbs of LA (Arcadia, to be specific), and since LA is known as a touristy place, I’m going to avoid all the typical stuff you hear and talk more about my hometown.
    1. The Asian food is pretty much the best here. Chinese, Japanese, or Korean, doesn’t matter, it’s all good. If you want really good Chinese food, check out Old Country Cafe in Temple City, which is Taiwanese style where the signature dish is rice and your choice of a meat with some vegetables on the side. The best (in my opinion) is the Chicken Leg Rice and the Egg Omelette Rice with Shrimp (which isn’t in the typical style but is still really good). Both are really filling and perfect for one person. Old Country Cafe also has amazing drinks, my favorite being the Green Tea with barley–plus unlimited free refills. Also, the waitresses are super super friendly. I go there all the time, to the point where we’re pretty much friends. A rule of thumb, when in Arcadia or any other city in the SGV, is simply check where there are long lines and follow along (the wait will usually be worth it). One last thing, when ordering, don’t be afraid to ask the waitresses if you see some really delicious-looking food at the table next door and want to order it as well. People do it all the time here.
    Other than Chinese food the Vietnamese pho here is really good too. I can’t think of anywhere specifically that’s really really good but I can’t think of anywhere that’s really really bad either, so it doesn’t hurt to just find a pho restaurant and try it. Ones I frequent are Vietnam Kitchen in Arcadia and Pho Pasteur in Rosemead. Both are awesome, but I’ve never been to a pho restaurant I disliked.
    2. The weather is hot here, but unpredictable. Everyone knows California, especially LA, to be warm and sunny all the time. Yes, this may be true, but we always have those random days in the winter where it’s like 40˚ and then the next day will be over 90˚. I’m not joking, this is a literal thing. But we don’t have much of a winter so you won’t need thick thick clothing. Best choice is pack a few pairs of shorts and jeans alike, and bring along a jacket for if it gets really cold.
    Also about the Incheon airport not having food, I don’t know if it’s different when you’re transferring flights, but last time I stopped in Incheon on the way to Beijing, there was plenty of food (just wayyy overpriced). I had this really really REALLY good udon the first time I went back when I was younger, but the rest of the times I passed through, the shops were all closed because my flight was early in the AM. Other than the food, yeah there’s a Starbucks but it’s also way overpriced haha. There’s also an internet cafe kind of thing too when I went.

5. I’m planning to travel to Korea in September! So this video is SUPER helpful!! I just wouldn’t know how the weather would be like. LOL.

• Good choice, because September is seriously the best time to visit Korea in terms of the weather. Still pleasantly warm (all relative of course—it could feel quite cool if you’re coming from warmer climes), a lot of sunny days, good air quality… I agree that the weather in Korea is comparable to New York weather, if that helps you gauge it.

• Hmm. Depends on the time of year you come, of course! But I’d compare Korean weather to…New York/Toronto weather?

6. Guys, one big tip I have when visiting Korea is bring your own medicine!!!
    So I visited Korea last summer for five weeks, and while I was there I got pretty ill. I went to two different pharmacies, one where I got pills and the other where I got herbal medicine, and I did not get better. I wanted to use some Nyquil to sleep at night, or Dayquil, but Korea didn’t have it! I would suffer at night trying to sleep relying only on cough drops. Eventually I had to go to my boyfriend’s mom’s doctor, who saw me and then wrote a prescription. I recovered a bit, but didn’t fully get better until I returned to the states.
    So now I know to bring my American meds with me that can knock me out.

7. I NEED THAT PLUG WITH 5 USB HOLES!!!!!!!!!!
    Where did you guys bought it?

• We found it at an electronic shop in California, but we found others on Gmarket here in Korea. We have three now, I think, because we have so many cameras charging at once.

8. This was super helpful and I just wanted to toss in some of the tips or tricks that helped me when I went to Korea this past September.

Subway travel:
    – I heard that there was a Korean Subway app from my friends but they didn’t know the name so I just searched it on the Play Store and got the one that has the best reviews. It is called Metroid and looks quite like the one you guys showed. I didn’t delve too deeply into it so I don’t know if it talks about which door to get off on and what not, but it was super helpful on knowing when and where and how long which were my main points.
    – The TMONEY card is GOD! It is only like $5 to get the basic one and that money, if I remember correctly, goes back on the card or something like that. You can reload it at any subway stop but also at any GS25. You can even use the card to pay for Taxis! You can also get Kpop ones in Myeongdong if you don’t pick up one at the subway. They cost more but it’s a nice keepsake.

Charging sadness:
    – Pack a power strip! Most of my things still use a good ole fashion outlet and power strips are cheap and easy to find.
    OH! and you can find a MILLION adapters in Myeongdong (seriously, there was a guy with three huge boxes of all kinds for like $5 each) so I wouldn’t stress about buying one before you travel unless you travel a lot and NEED a univeral one.

I don’t really know what I’d say to someone visiting the US from a different country but when anyone comes to Chicago for the first time, I always tell them to avoid staying Downtown. Because Chicago is really well know for our Loop (see the Dark Knight and Transformers 3) people automatically think that staying downtown will put you in the center of all the best things. But really, it’s just overpriced and the only things to do downtown are shopping and museums and maybe some good food. I always stress staying elsewhere that is simply close to the train station so that it’s easier to get around.

Anyway! Thanks so much for sharing! I really agreed with a lot of this, especially writing the address in Korean! I was trying to go to see M! Countdown which I figured is fairly popular and I had the address written in English style. When I got in the Taxi, the man didn’t know what it was or where I was trying to go. Luckily, he got help from someone else and I was able to find the address in Korean so we didn’t get lost but I was really surprised that he didn’t know where the CJ E&M building was!

9. First time poster, LONGGGGGGG time subscriber of your channel! Anyway, here are some tips for coming to Birmingham, AL

1. When you arrive at the airport, stop by Jim n’ Nicks and pick up some barbecue! Better yet, grab a mix of cheddar cheese biscuits! Everyone I know loves that stuff. My cousins from Germany bought 3 bags to take back home.

2. Mass transit in Birmingham is a joke. Having a rental car is NECESSARY.

3. If you want to experience real soul food, go to a “meat n’ three” like Niki’s West or Eagle’s. It’s a cafeteria type joint where you pick a meat (for example beef brisket or ox tail) and three sides. Usually they are vegetables like collard greens or fried okra or mac n’ cheese (yes that’s a vegetable down here). Yes, it’s a heart attack on a plate but you might as well die happy, am I right? XD

4. Go see Vulcan, the world’s largest cast iron statue. Great view of Birmingham. Also, we are fully aware of the statue mooning the entire suburb of Homewood. Oh so nasty indeed.

5. If you are interested in history and ghost stories, you should definitely check out Sloss Furnace in Downtown. They also have metalsmithing classes and cool concerts there during the summer!

6. When you are here during football season, pick a team (Alabama or Auburn) based on who you are with. Otherwise, you will be in for a world of heckling! And if you can make the trek to the University of Alabama for a football game, enjoy the tailgating experience! There’s nothing else like it!

7. Contrary to what you see in the public media, people in Alabama are very friendly and are the role models for southern hospitality. I know it will be a long shot but I hope the next time y’all come to the United States, it will be somewhere other than the west coast! (HINT HINT!)

10. Tips for traveling to Boston MA, America!

1. Logan Airport is hell on earth. The security takes forever and the layout is confusing as hell. Make sure you know EXACTLY which terminal you’re landing in before you get here.

2. On the flip side, there is a bus (the silver line) that runs from the airport to South Station (one of the major subway stops) FOR FREE. It comes every seven minutes and will drop you off in the center of town.

3. If you can, take the subway. It’s $2.50 a ride and as long as you don’t leave you can go anywhere. Also, the silver line lets you off inside the stop so if you’re taking the silver line you can switch to the red line for free. Taxis are expensive and the subway covers most of Boston anyway. (Just be warmed that our subway system can be confusing and try to avoid the E line of the green line if you can.)

4. Walking around in Boston is a health hazard. The cars don’t stop for red lights always and you can pick out tourists by the fact that they use crosswalks and lights and all that. Also, the city is SUPER confusing because the streets were laid out in the 1600s. If you’re expecting a nice, gridded city, you will be shocked and disappointed because Boston looks like a zoo. Make sure you have EXACT instructions on how to get to your destination if you’re walking.

5. DO NOT go to Legal Sea Foods or any chain name places for seafood. Seriously. There are sooooo many good seafood places that are way cheaper, especially the closer to Cape Cod you get.

6. Take time to explore the city. It’s very pretty and there are tons of pubs and cute stores and lots of history. Also, a quick pop over to Cambridge is very doable if you want a friendlier, more down-to-earth feel.

7. Boston is super expensive so be ready for that. Food will cost you a lot of money as will hotels and transportation if you’re not using the subway system.

8. Finally, and most importantly, don’t mock the accent. This seems like a no brainer, but tourists actually do come to Boston and make fun of people for sounding Bostonian. Not only is this rude, but tons of Bostonians don’t have the accent and the ones that do are proud of it and will tell you off. Also, not mocking locals is a good travel tip for pretty much anywhere. Just don’t it.

That’s about it! Have fun and enjoy your stay!

11. DO NOT TAKE BLACK TAXIS! I know Simon & Martina already stressed this point, but I studied abroad in South Korea in 2011 and took a black taxi. My experience almost made me want to turn right around and go back home. First of all, I was led away from all the other taxis (*stranger danger!*) so even if I changed my mind I had no idea how to get back or find a different taxi. Then when my ride had ended, from Icheon to Yonsei University, it cost me about $180 US, and ₩220,000. I was fortunate enough that I had that type of cash on me, but I felt so ripped off and humiliated. It really didn’t start my trip out nicely. Later in the year, I went back to the airport to go on a vacation to Japan and took a regular taxi from Yonsei University to Incheon and it only cost ₩80,000 ish or $60 US. It opened old wounds for me, but was a very valuable lesson to learn. It all ended well, I met amazing friends in Korea and I still think of my time back there as one of the highlights of my life. However, to those traveling, if something bad happens to you, try to stick it out. You’d be surprised at how horrible a trip can start out, (delayed flights, canceled flights, black taxis, arriving in Korea but finding out your luggage is still in Los Angeles) but then turn wonderfully amazing!

12. I’m curious if there are any blogs or sites you would recommend for those who want to travel to South Korea whose interests are more in the pop, drama, cosmetic, aka modern culture. CuteInKorea.com is one that comes to mind…any others that you recommend outside of this site?

13. After having traveled to South Korea a few times myself I can honestly say that Autumn is the best season to visit. Not only is the weather comfortable, the red and orange autumn leaves on the trees will make every backdrop in every picture you taken breathtakingly beautiful. Thanks for the wonderful memories South Korea.

As for my home town, my biggest tip would be to pack for 4 seasons. Melbourne weather is the most unpredictable in the world.

14. Thank you so much for sharing this information! I plan on visiting South Korea in the summer this year and I need all the tips I can get.

15. Tips for coming to the Gold Coast, Australia:

1. The airport is actually pretty tiny in comparison to the major airports in Australia (Sydney, Melbourne, etc). The good food places are past security, so you won’t starve. There’s also little shops where you can buy essentials if you forget anything (sunscreen, beach towels, etc).

2. There are no trains at the airport. You will need to arrange your own transport to your hotel either by:
    a. Booking a shuttle bus. There are plenty of companies here that can take you to your hotel, and can even take you back to the airport.
    b. Booking or flagging down a taxi. Taxi’s are not cheap (which is pretty standard around the world!) but they are safe (most of the time).
    c. Taking a bus/public transport. You will need to have a Go Card (electronic transport card used in the state of Queensland), but there are still a few buses that take cash payment.
    d. Rent a car. There is plenty of parking around the GC, and a lot of it is free. Make sure to check with your hotel if they have parking included in your booking (a lot of them to). Having a rental car is usually the best option to get yourself around places, as a lot of our public transport system sucks.

3. Just like Melbourne, GC has multiple seasons per day. The morning can dawn bright and clear, and by the afternoon, it’ll be cloudy and humid. But the best part is that in the winter it doesn’t snow, and you can still walk outside in shorts and t-shirt.

4. There’s more to the Gold Coast than our beaches (although, they are pretty awesome). You can find some really good places to eat (I recommend the Korean BBQ in Broadbeach, just near the Pacific Fair shopping centre, and the Pickled Cactus Mexican restaurant in Biggera Waters if you want some dangerous hot sauces), and beautiful nature hikes (Mt Tamborine and seeing the glow worms at night at the Springwood National Park).

5. I cannot emphasise enough the importance of wearing sunscreen. Australia now has SPF50+ available, and even on our cloudy days, the sun is still beaming his happy rays.

6. If you like good coffee, Gold Coast company Zarraffa’s is located everywhere. Although I do recommend the small hipster cafes in Broadbeach.

On Monday I will be moving from Gold Coast to Tokyo, Japan, so I’m taking note of the tips left by my fellow Nasties about how to survive there. Thanks a bunch!

16. Oh, also:
    -if you’re in Korea during the Boryeong Mud Festival, it’s worth the trip there, just don’t hold your breath at getting into the actual mud area… But there’s plenty of mud puddles you can play in or you can get painted with colored mud for free and otherwise enjoy the beach and free concerts (Brown Eyed Girls performed at the concert the night I was there!) And if you attract mosquitoes… For the love of the gods, do NOT forget bug repellent! I still have the scars on my legs from the bites. x.x
    -if you’re taking an adapter, don’t get the one that’s a big cube with all the plugs as one device. I didn’t realize how much of a pain that would be to plug into the holes, so go for the little individual adapter with just the single plug.
    -The bus from Incheon International to Seoul (and Seoul back) isn’t a bad deal. It takes longer, but it’s a lot cheaper, is comfortable and gives you a good chance to enjoy the scenery.
    -Maybe it was just us, i have no idea, but I had a hard time finding unprotected wifi in Seoul, even in Hongdae my friends and I had trouble connecting to the internet to use kakao so we could meet up with a friend. It was a mess…

• Yeah! I think the bus is, like, 15,000 won a person, right? We sometimes take it for our trips, if we’re gone for more than two weeks at a time, but otherwise we drive, because long term parking ends up being cheaper than taking the bus. But I love taking the bus otherwise. The seats recline a lot!

17. Travel tips for the Twin Cities, MN:

1) COME IN THE SUMMER.
    2) If you’ve never been here, make sure you’re aware that Minneapolis and St. Paul make up one metro area, but they are two separate cities with two downtowns and different vibes. In my opinion, Minneapolis is more urban, while St. Paul is more neighborhoody and relaxed.
    3) Public transit is pretty good in Minneapolis and St. Paul, but less so out in the suburbs (but there’s nothing fun out there anyway). It’s primarily buses, but there are also 2 light rail train lines: the blue line connects the Mall of America and the airport and downtown Minneapolis, and the green line runs from downtown Minneapolis to downtown St. Paul.
    4) You can bike almost anywhere. There are green Nice Ride bike rental stations all over. They’re a little spendy, but super easy – just pop in your credit card and you have a bike!
    5) The Cities have tons of parks and lakes. Recommended neighborhoods to check out: Uptown, Lake Calhoun, Minnehaha Falls, Northeast, Como Park, Cathedral Hill, and Summit Avenue.
    6) Minneapolis/St. Paul has a KILLER food and craft beer scene.

Travel tips for Omaha, NE:

1) The airport is tiny, and public transit sucks. To get from the airport to the city I’d recommend renting a car. Taxis are expensive. The are bike rental stations in the downtown area though.
    2) YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE OLD MARKET.
    3) Ideally, come during the College World Series. It’ll be harder to find a hotel, but there’s so much more to do. For two weeks every June, college baseball takes over the city. Even if you don’t go to games there are people from all over the country in town it’s a ton of fun to just go eat and drink and hang out in the streets.
    4) There are a bunch of outdoor summer concerts!
    5) Go look at the corn?

• Another tip for flying into and out of the Twin Cities is to be certain which terminal you’ll be at. Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 are not the same building, and to get between them you will have to take the light rail, which is free, but can be frustrating if you’re already rushed trying to get your flight.

• When in Minnesota we are NICE! Ask people questions, its okay. If you get lost ask people for directions. There is a great food scene in Minneapolis/St.Paul area. If you go up north people are a bit more quiet and outdoorsy but really helpful and kind. Try the local foods! Have fun! Please remember the weather changes constantly, so bring a sweater, thin gloves, socks, sunglasses, umbrella and your sense of humour.

18. I pretty much only used cash the entire time I was in seoul (mid july to mid august for school). I took out 100,000 a week from an atm. If you’re using a credit card, check with your bank/credit union/whatever. My credit union had a MUCH better exchange rate than any other option, so by withdrawing the cash I saved a ton of money on exchange rates. DON’T use exchange windows at Incheon airport, there’s a global atm right next to it practically. And don’t use them anywhere else either. The only place I ever had trouble finding a global atm was in Dongdaemun. Absolutely no trouble finding them elsewhere. I don’t know about other Uni’s, but Hankuk University (where I was) had an atm right inside the entry to the globee dorm.

19. One tip for those who will/want to visit Korea and not just Seoul (meaning you plan to go to other cities like Busan, Daegu, etc.) and you plan to use the public transportation (the subways or the buses) instead of getting a T-Money card, try to get a Cashbee card. Those are used more in the other areas of Korea and it will be more convenient to charge money on the card since T-Money cards won’t recharge on the machines unless you find a place like a convenience store that will recharge a T-Money card. Cashbee cards can be used in a majority of areas and even in Seoul. I got a T-Money card when I first arrived in Korea, but when I settled in my town and would visit Busan, I found out that I could use the T-Money card, but I couldn’t recharge the card. So I had to get a Cashbee card and when I used it in Seoul, I found out I could recharge the Cashbee card in a majority of places.

20. And yes thank you EYK for posting this! I’m actually going to Seoul on April 3rd with my school mates for a study trip. Just want to ask a few questions!

1. Is it advisable to head to karaoke rooms at night? If yes what are some of the best places to go to?
    2. What are your favourite snacks/instant noodles/drinks at local convenience stores there?

• I was in Seoul for a month at Hankuk and we went into the karaoke rooms pretty late when we were bored with no problems. Don’t feel you have to commit to one when you go in. Ask prices (around Hankuk they all ran about $20) and if it seems like it’s even a little busy, feel free to try to find another room (they’re everywhere!) that doesn’t have many people. We got more service added when we went to the ones that were almost empty. But watch out for old guys wandering around. I had one come up and try to proposition me at one point. Thankfully before I could even turn to him my Korean friend was like “Just ignore him! He’s being creepy!”

• Thanks for the advice! :D

• Since Heather answered the first question, I’ll answer the second one: we really like the Cheese Bokki instant noodles. It’s ramen, but with mac and cheese powder: two of my favourite things together!

21. Aites nasties I’m from Singapore and here are just some tips that I can give you guys.

I have quite a lot of advices just about cabs so I’ll first mention about that first.

1. Don’t ever take cab from Changi Airport! There is a surcharge if your journey starts from there. Since Singapore ain’t really big and we only have quite a few subway stations, go to terminal 2 and take our Mass Rapid Transit (we call it MRT station here so if you lost your way, just ask people where the MRT is at). You will have to take 2 stations to Tanah Merah MRT station before you can go to other places. Always have an MRT map with you! It is easily available at all the MRT stations.

2. There are crazy surcharges during peak hours which can go up to additional 50% of your cab fare. So try not take cabs during peak hours!

3. If you really have to take a cab and do not have cash, only flag down cabs that are yellow or blue in colour. These are the only cabs that accept cards. There are a few smaller companies cabs that also accept cards but to play safe, just look out for those that are yellow or blue in colour.

4. Sometimes when you see “Change Shift” on the cab, still try to ask the driver where you are going. Don’t be shocked if they refuse to pick you up, because most of the times the cab is shared and they will have to meet the next driver to pass the cab.

5. During peak hours, and if you are travelling in town areas, sometimes you will pass by the “ERP”, which is the road tax that is required to be paid by the passenger.

Conclusion: Try to avoid cabs. :D

6. Free wifi is not that easily available everywhere unless you are in Starbucks. Otherwise, other free wifi spots will require you to have a local registered phone number as they will need you to enter a verification code before you can use the wifi. So, if your hotel does not provide free wifi either, then you should consider getting the mobile wifi at the airport.

7. Singapore has got no 4 seasons lol. But try to bring an umbrella/cap with you. When it’s hot, it’s really hot. And quite often it would rain unexpectedly so better be safe than sorry!

8. Singapore is very strict in terms of smoking so only smoke at the specified smoking areas especially when you are at the shopping mall/hawker food centres. Also, chewing gums are actually banned here so please do not have them with you in your luggage! Same goes for cigarettes.

9. There are quite a few shopping malls here that support tourist benefits, so have your passports with you and ask the customer service counter for any tourist benefits!

10. You can do a 6% tax refund when you spend over $100 SGD in shops. The $100 must be from the same shop on the same day. Combined receipts are acceptable as long as they meet the previous conditions. Also, prepare your passports with you. Bring along the tax refund slip to the airport and get the 6% back before you board the flight back home! Note: Singapore’s tax is 7% but the government will absorb the 1% when doing tax refund. Oh yes, do the tax refund at the shop’s counter itself, don’t go to the customer service counter for that.

11. Incheon airport and Changi airport is quite similar that majority of F&B are outside the security area before you get in. From my memory and experience, once you enter the security area in Terminal 2, there is only Texas Chicken, Starbucks and a crazily overpriced food court. So get all your food ready before going in!

12. If you need any groceries, always head down to NTUC Fairprice as it is cheaper and has almost everything. Also, do try to bring along recycled bags to carry the groceries especially on Wednesdays, where there will be special discounts. Also, some of these stores do have a self check out line. Do not queue there to check out your goods unless you have credit cards with you. There are also express lines in some supermarkets and there is only if you have less than 10 goods to check out. If you have a lot of items and you queue there, the staff might get you to queue at the normal lanes, so please be careful.

13. Shops closes around 9 or 10pm here. (We are one hour behind Korea). So don’t be afraid if you wake up late!

14. Some things here (especially town area) can be very overpriced. So do some conversion before deciding whether you want to get it or not!

If you need any recommendations on food/places to visit, let me know and I’ll tell you more. :D

22. OT, but how long is a comment normally under ‘moderation’? I posted a comment 8 hours ago (travel tips for Toronto and Portugal) and it still hasn’t been approved. There’s no links or spam in it, so I’m confused. :(

23. thanks guys so much for this! im traveling to korea for the first time in early June so this was super helpful! could you guys give some suggestions on places to visit and things to do in Seoul and Busan (shopping, tourism spots, eating, etc.)? and wat kind of housing is best for a group of 4 people to stay that isnt too expensive? thanks! hope to hear from you guys!

24. Anyone wanting to visit southern Ontario (eg:Toronto)
    Okay,so from my memory… getting lost in the Toronto airport can be pretty bad. I know it might not be the biggest airport but finding your way around to get flight checked and all can be difficult at times *this is all from mermory*

Anyways, if any of your guys don’t want to freeze to death, I think our winter’s can be terrible sometimes. Also if you plan to come in March, be careful, our weather system is so messed now,when you come it may be -15°F in the end of March

25. Cape Breton, NS, Canada

Cape Breton is very scenic and not much else. People go there to see the landscape. Here are a few tips:

1) It rains a lot and is usually damp or humid so best to take an umbrella.
    2) I believe lobster season is in April- May so that’s best time for fresh seafood. Sometimes you can buy Lobster from the fishermen and get it right off the boat. (Lobsters are not red. They’re usually black and sometimes blue and only turn red when you cook them. You have to cook them when they’re still alive.) Then I think in June is Crab season.
    3) If you want to swim in the ocean there are a lot of beaches and the majority of them are sand beaches. They’re usually warm enough in July-August and early September however its best to go swimming in August because the Jelly Fish have moved on and you don’t risk getting stung! Also August has the best weather.
    4) There are lots of rivers to swim in too!
    5) The Cabot trail is the big seller for scenery in CB. Margaree is beautiful and has some of the nicest beaches around. Lots of fishing available there. The people are very friendly there as well. Cheticamp is a french/english town which has a lot of whale watching tours and fresh seafood. Cheticamp leads into the Highlands National Park where there are lots of wildlife such as moose and bears to see. (Best time to see them is early in the morning or just before sundown)
    6) There are a lot of waterfalls and hiking too. If you ask the locals they can tell you best places to go!
    7) Sydney is the biggest city on the island, however, there isn’t a whole lot to do there. There is a nice park and some downtown shopping and restaurants but not a lot else. Check out the Bonny Prince, They have awesome beer battered onion rings!
    8) Lock your cars and don’t leave anything you don’t want stolen unattended. While it probably different in the country, Sydney and the surrounding areas are bad for thieves.
    9) Taxi’s are not overly priced. If you need to go across town it will prob only run you 15$ at most. THey might give you a better rate if you’re nice and friendly!

26. I live in Iksan, South Korea at the moment and I had problems with the ATMs as well. I found that because my card is a debit card and not a credit card most ATMs would not accept it. I found one at the train station around the corner from where I live that accepts. I was told to look for the 365 on the ATM and it had an Foreign card option which was in English and gave me a savings, cheque and credit option to withdraw cash, but the limit was 100,000 won and there was a 3,600 transaction fee for any amount I withdrew.

27. My husband and I want to visit Korea or Japan but we are very hesitant on it. We both have an intolerance to fish and shellfish. Its not deadly but it is very uncomfortable. How well would someone with seafood allergies fair in Korea or Japan or other Asian cultures?

• I really only spent time in Seoul, but there were a ton of chicken places, too.

• I have traveled to Korea, Japan, and lived in China. In China (well, Northern China is what I can speak best for, but pork is pretty common all over) you will have zero issues. Pretty much the only seafood I encountered when I lived in Beijing was the whole cooked fish, fish balls in soup, or at a sushi place. Korea and Japan it’s pretty easy to avoid as well, since Korea and Japan love their beef. Since I’m from Minnesota in the US (very landlocked), fish just isn’t as common so it isn’t my preference and I usually ate pork or beef everywhere (except for sushi, yummmmmm).

• In Japanese: Shiifuudo wa arerugi desu. (Shii-foo-doe wa ah-reh-roo-gee dess) Which means Seafood allergy. S

• Maybe add a Sumimasen (Soo-me-mah-sen) in there to make it Sumimasen, Shiifuudo wa arerugi desu. Which would be Excuse me/Im sorry, I have a seafood allergy.

28. My first question for anyone wanting to visit Du Bois, PA, is why? There is not much to do here unless you have family members here or traveling through. Though some tips could be added.

1. Du Bois is not pronouced Doo-bawah like the French but we have Americanized it/became lazy so it became Doo-Boyz.
    2. If you are addicted to Starbucks the closest ones are in Altoona or State College, PA bout are around a 90 minute drive. If you must get your latte go to either the 2 local cafes called Stew’s Brews or Java Joey; or a local franchise gas station/convenience store called Sheetz.
    3. As for Sheetz, be prepared for something wonderful. This is not your ordinary food from a gas station i.e. 99 cent hot dogs. While yes they do have 2 hot dogs for that price which is basic you can get so much more. It is it’s own fast food place within a gas station that you can pick from not only hot dogs, hamburgers, Mexican, chicken, fish, pizza, hoagies/sandwiches, specialty drinks, and so much more including Pizza though a lot of side dishes are fried. It is good food and you can get your gas while you are at it. Also with Sheetz you don’t talk to a person for your order, you go to touch screens on the side of the registers where they make the food then you take a slip to the registers and pay for it. They also have good drip coffee.
    3. We are have several major road systems going through and right off of I80 so while you think as a small town we won’t have major traffic but we do. Bee-line and Liberty Boulevard is the busiest and if you need to get to the opposite side of town during the busiest times normally school/work crowd give yourself enough time! The routes you go through the Bee line is PA route 255, part of US route 219 which then goes to Liberty Boulevard, and US route 119 on Blinker Parkway which splits off of 219 and you just head straight while 219 you take a left.
    3. We don’t have a lot of public transportation because of our size the main ones being buses like ATA buses and I have seen taxis. Otherwise you can walk if you want as long as it is nice out and within walking distance.
    4. While yes we do have an airport but it is out in the woods and I would highly suggest if you fly in and come to Du Bois you fly into Pittsburgh, PA and rent a car there and drive up. The most direct way would be to head I79 North towards I80 East. Or you can fly in to Philly and then take the AmTrack to Altoona and rent a car from there. Use GSP for this route unless you are familiar with the area because after get off of I99 you will be going through a couple small towns to get to I80 then you would be headed west.
    5. We do have a mall and more grocery stores compared to other towns in the area so if you want to shop especially for groceries please avoid weekends especially if you want to go to the best grocery store in the area (Martin’s Foods, voted by in our local Sunday’s paper). And a down town (where Stew’s Brews is located) we do have a good Italian Restaurant called Lugi’s and a few small shops along with the public library.
    6. The only place to stay over night to my knowledge is the hotels as I don’t think we the Airbnb around and I haven’t seen any hostiles just stick to the chains as they are better than the local ones.
    The closest Airbnb is Ridgway. If you have family members though, they might let you stay at their house.
    7. While yes we have 4 seasons but the good part of spring and fall along with all of winter there is construction going on somewhere especially on I80 and then there is winter which for these past 2 years we have gotten the polar vortex and we go below 0 degree Fahrenheit. So we joke we have 2 seasons winter season and construction season.
    8. Our weather is decent though we do get rain and storms during the warm/hot days but we generally know when it is going to happen. Winter can be a little worse especially for side roads and it is snowing out. The main roads are normally better than the side roads just due to the traffic and they need to keep them clear but the side roads normally wait until after the snow is done or if you are on a road that has a school before school gets in or just about to get out.
    9. If you come for Grounds Hog Day, you might be regulated to Du Bois if Punxsutawney, PA doesn’t have any hotels open. You will have half an hour drive or so south west (20 miles on 119) so be prepared that you might not get the best seats for him.
    10. Please don’t come here unless you have family members or you plan on going to do outdoor stuff since Parker Dam State Park, and Elliot State Park is very close by and a state forest. There are also a number of state game lands near by as well for hunters.

29. For those wanting to travel to Vancouver, BC, Canada:

– Before travelling, make sure you know the regulations when coming across the border. If you have any previous troubles with the law in any country, it could greatly affect your chances of even being allowed entry so make sure to check before coming so that you don’t waste all your money for nothing.
    -Also make sure you know what you aren’t allowed to bring in to Canada (especially food products). this may seem really like it’s common sense but as “Border Security” is my favourite show, obviously some people don’t understand.
    -If you plan on using public transit, make sure to know how many zones you are travelling as well as make sure you have exact change because the buses don’t give change back. Also our public transit isn’t always the best. During peak hours, you can expect buses running regularly. but on Sundays or during non-peak hours, the buses will be running less commonly. so make sure to check the schedule before you leave your hotel.
    -CARRY AN UMBRELLA. like, everywhere. the weather here is extremely unpredictable, so while it may be sunny when you leave the hotel, it may be pouring just a half-hour later.
    -If you are mostly shopping in major stores/ brand name stores, they almost always take debit/credit. But if you are shopping in a slightly more sketchy place, make sure to use cash instead.
    -you will find that many things here are slightly more expensive than many places. For example, Fast food chains cost more here than in some areas of the states. So be prepared for the cost difference.
    -most beaches are alcohol free. And police are strict and patrol regularly, especially in Stanley park. So just don’t bring it.
    -If you plan on renting a car, make sure you follow the rules very carefully. especially about wearing seat belts. If you get caught without one on, it could mean major consequences.
    – And finally, Get out and explore! Vancouver is beautiful, so try to get at least one day out of the city and try to go up to somewhere like whistler or grouse mountain. they have many restaurants and shops so definitely check it out!

30. This is perfect you guys! we are visiting for the first time (my delegation and I, from Venezuela) on March 12, and we where clueless about how to manage ourself in Seoul, I would like to ask you if there is any place like a bank were we could change our currency because we don’t get to change it in our country, also an app or an official site were we could see the currency exchange rate would be really helpfull, if you could tell me more about it please.

P.D.: Love your videos, been a fan for 4 years, first time writing in your posts, I guess is the exitment of the trip that made me write. Best regards!

31. Question: How hard is it to get around if you don’t know any Korean? Like, not just reading signs and stuff, but ordering at restaurants, checking out at shops, etc.

• It’s not difficult. If you understand how to gesticulate, then you should be alright. But if you walk up to someone and say “hey I was wondering where I could perhaps find a soda beverage that has a lemon flavour,” then you’ll confuse them a lot more than if you say something like “Sprite?” and shrug your shoulders and look confused, you know? The simpler and more direct your communication, the better.

• Not hard at all! Just learn how to say “this please” and “that please” when you are on the plane and they have the language learning game. (I would add also learn “hello” and “thank you”.) I literally only knew 5 Korean phrases and got around just fine! Every major sign also has English and many people do speak English.

32. My first question for anyone wanting to visit Du Bois, PA, is why? There is not much to do here unless you have family members here or traveling through. Though some tips could be added.

3. As for Sheetz, be prepared for something wonderful. This is not your ordinary food from a gastation i.e. 99 cent

33. Perfect timing because I’m planning to visit over Golden Week!! :)

34. alright for all those wanting to travel to NYC,

1. If you love urself, do NOT fly into JFK! its too far from the city and traffic is horrible both ways. also taking a taxi is expensive from there. Do yourself a favor and fly into LGA.
    2. Do NOT take black taxis. They are not regulated…shifty stuff goes on in those taxis and they r super duper expensive cause they dont use meters. Take a yellow or green taxi which have meters and you can pay cash or card.
    3. do not rent a car…its a waste of time and money. Ur gonna drive into the city and then pay to park at ur hotel’s parking lot!
    4. when ur done going to all the touristy places – cause lets be honest, ill tell you not to go there and u will probably still go – check out the not so tourist places like museums and local popular places to eat, not the ones u’ll see in the tourist guides.
    5. walk fast and walk straight. People live here and walk everywhere and its freaking annoying that u n ur crew r taking up the whole sidewalk, and walking slowly!!!

35. Tips for Atlanta:

1) Cabs are expensive. Don’t take one if possible, and head to the nearest car rental place if you don’t intend to use MARTA (public transportation system).

2) If you do decide to take a cab when you’re in the city, make sure to call the taxi companies first. Taxis won’t stop for you.

3) Atlanta was first created as a transportation hub, so everyone has a car. Don’t try to walk the city, unless your hotel/destinations are less than a 10 minute walk to the MARTA . Because no one walks in the city, it gets pretty sketchy at night. You and one other person will literally be the only people on the dimly lit sidewalks for multiple blocks.

4) MARTA is the best, just don’t ride it at 3 am (duh)

5) No, it’s not as cold as Canada, but many tourists are surprised that we get freezing winters. Yes, we are in the south, and yes, we do get ice, sleet, wind, and (occasionally) snow. Even though we feel like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgZM1mqphIs for 4 months a year.

6) Eat ALL the food! You will be able to find a plentiful number of niiiice southern restaurants in Atlanta, including some decent fusion ones (Poor Calvin’s Absolute Fusion is one of my favorites). These are typically not near MARTA stations, but definitely worth a try by bus or cab.

36. So, I see a lot of tourists coming and going as I’m down south in the UK in a really touristy area, and these are things I’d say are useful to know:

1. Fish and chips is NOT our official national dish (I don’t even think we have one, but go for the roast lunch, or a cream tea if you’re down south. They’re quintessentially British)
    2. Visit a pub and get a pub lunch. That’s very British.
    3. The number of tourists I’ve met who think they’ve seen the whole UK just because they’ve visited Oxford, London and Cambridge is insane. Be adventurous and go to our national parks or something. Most of them are beautiful.
    4. According to a university friend of mine, nobody will believe you’ve been to Oxford if you wander around in any kind of University of Oxford hoodie, because 1) the merchandise can be bought in London, 2) the university logo on the merchandise is actually (most of the time) incorrect – it’s circular, not an open book – and 3) they apparently all wear college hoodies, not university ones.
    5. Speaking of Oxford or Cambridge, don’t bother asking where “the university” is – ask for the landmarks instead (and there are plenty), and look up which colleges to go to. If you make this mistake and you’re lucky, students will explain which colleges to go and see, but if you pick the wrong person to ask around finals, they might direct you to the wrong university, university offices, or engage you in a discussion of the philosophical nature of a university, and you probably don’t want any of that. (Actually, most Oxbridge students I’ve met are really nice and probably wouldn’t do it, but you will probably get the stink eye.)
    6. If you’re going to travel on a bus in London, you either need a wireless contact card, an oyster card or a ticket that you’ve bought before getting on the bus because all buses are now cashless and won’t sell you tickets.
    7. All our publicly owned museums are free (except for special exhibitions). Take advantage of it. The privately owned ones usually have student discounts and concessions, though exactly what they are will depend on where in the world you’re from (like, EU students get the same discounts as British students, but students from America may not necessarily have the same discount – this does depend from place to place).
    8. Bring a raincoat. Always. Especially in summer.
    9. Our train system is pretty efficient, especially if you’re on one of the big lines. It’s worth booking tickets in advance, though, especially if you’re going long distances, or else you’re going to be paying a LOT of money. As in, going from London to Manchester can cost under £30 if you book it in advance (even less with railcards), but I’ve seen it go up to nearly £200 on the day. Ticket prices also tend to double at midnight if you’re using a train service that reduces them in advance. Also, particularly if you’re travelling by virgin trains, make sure you’re on the platform a couple of minutes before the train is due to arrive, because I know a number of people who’ve missed the train due to the amount of time the doors spend locked prior to departure.
    10. Be prepared to queue. And don’t queue cut. We remember our places in the queue even if we’re not standing in a queue, so just don’t do it.

37. For Seoul: Do not go for the cheapest hotel. We had a horrible experience with a hotel I’m sure used to be a love hotel. Because of the Ondol it was extremely hot (we went in the middle of winter and could only turn it on or off) and the surroundings were very noisy.

Tokyo:
    – If you do not arrive at Haneda airport but at Narita, you will be far away from Tokyo itself. Check the train times beforehand.
    – Get a hotel near to any Yamanote Line station, preferably in west Tokyo. Train fares are expensive and calculated by distance, so staying at a hotel in the middle of nowhere is going to cost you. Also, if you’re going to go elsewhere in Japan, get a Japan Rail Pass. You can buy those from outside of Japan. Taxis are expensive with a minimum fare of 720Yen for the first 2km.
    – Learn three Japanese words (“Konnichiwa”, “Sumimasen”, “Arigatou”), they’ll make it more likely someone is going to try and help you. Japanese people unfortunately don’t have the greatest English and many shy away from having to speak it.
    – Do not come during summer. Japanese summer is hot, humid and disgusting.
    – As Simon and Martina said in the video, there aren’t many free WiFi spots. Either rent a mobile WiFi thingie or prepare your day trips thoroughly.
    – Some people don’t seem to get this, but Japan is not a cheap tourist destination.
    – Visit some of the gardens (庭園 Teien)! They cost around 300yen admission but are absolutely stunning and offer relaxation in the middle of the city.
    – Tokyo is extremely safe. There aren’t any no-go areas really.
    – If you forget something on the train, tell the station master (information they’ll want: what train and car were you on? Where did you sit? What did you lose?), they will locate it for you.
    – If it starts to rain, buy an umbrella for 500yen. It probably won’t stop raining anytime soon.

38. I’m surprised the 120 Dasan Call Center is not often mentioned in travel tips to South Korea. From what I’ve heard/read it sounds like an amazing hotline. According to their website they even interpret for you in a taxi or when shopping and also help you order a pizza over the phone…I haven’t been to Korea yet and therefore haven’t used it, but it sounds like a nice help when you visit.

39. My tips for traveling in Sweden:

– Never take a taxi unless absolutely necessary, it is extremely expensive and they sometimes rip you off.
    – Don’t be scared to speak English around Swedish people because they will understand you.
    – I would suggest getting a lot done before 4pm because stores closes at 6-7pm (earlier on the weekends) and you don’t want to get caught up in the rush.