Travel Tips for South Korea

February 25, 2015

Comments

I gotta say, this was an odd TL;DR to handle, because it put us in a very different position. Everything we do in these videos of ours is from the perspective of people living in South Korea. However, we meet tons of people that are just visiting for a week or two, and so we started wondering about what we could say that might make their stay easier. Learning how to recycle or turn on your ondol isn’t really that useful if you’re in a hotel, right? We’ve met far more visitors than expats in Korea, so we figured it was time we talked more specifically to the crowd of people that are coming to South Korea for a vacation. So here are some more things you should prepare for if you’re just visiting. Let’s go!

Don’t Take Black Taxis

I don’t really hear people talking about this enough. Well, let me rephrase that: you can take black taxis, but they’re more expensive than regular taxis. Why? Supposedly they’re given black taxis if they drive ten years without an accident. Hell if I know how anyone could do that. I almost get clipped on a daily basis. IT’S SO STRESSFUL TO DRIVE HERE! So, if you’re ok with paying extra, take a black taxi, and just ask him how he’s so damned good at driving.

Don’t Read Korea Tourism’s Website

If you want to wear a hanbok and climb a mountain and eat bibimbap (did you know that Korea has four distinct seasons?!) then it might be your thing, but I’ve always found that Korea Tourism is more written from the perspective of what Korean people think foreigners are interested in rather than what foreigners are interested in. Korea Tourism would better be named “Korean Pride.” And, don’t get me wrong – climbing mountains and wearing hanboks and doing cultural stuff is great in itself, but Korea Tourism isn’t really trying to suggest things that anyone I’ve ever spoken with is interested in. They’ll suggest stuff like “Go to the Tulip Festival down in flin-flon nowhere” or stuff like that. AH! I know this point is gonna piss some people off. That’s just our take on the KTO. Maybe your experience is different.

Sleep In

Korean businesses don’t really open early. They’re more likely to stay open late instead, which is great for us, because we’re night owls, but we’ve had people visit us that are morning people, and they were bored to death in the mornings. Most of the cool shopping areas, the good street food stalls, all open later in the afternoon. So push yourself to stay awake later; you won’t miss out on much.

Take Your Hotel’s Business Card

This might sound basic, but we’ve had friends visit us once and, after teaching them how to drink in Korea, they didn’t know how to get back to their hotel. It would have been easier if they had their hotel’s card on them, and just had given that to the taxi. All taxis have Navigation systems in them, so they can type in the addresses easily. So, just in case, bring a card with you, so you can enjoy a night if drinking if you feel like it :D

So that’s it for all we can think of at the moment. I’m sure we’ll remember something else in the comments and we’ll mention it there for sure. Otherwise, let us know if you’ve traveled to South Korea and if there were some things you wished you knew before you got here. Yeah!

Comments

TL;DR

Travel Tips for South Korea

1. Hey eyk, I know that this TL;DR was done all the way back in February but I have a predicament.
    I want to travel to Hongdae in 2016 but I have no one to go with, none of my friends or family (not even my fiancé) wish to go to Korea with me. I was just wondering if you have any more ‘loner’ friendly travelling tips?
    Would be great to hear from you :D x

2. One MAJOR tip I would suggest if you wanna come to NYC is to download the PDF version of the subway map on your phone before coming so you can don’t have to carry around that enormous piece of paper that could potentially get ruined… You can get it on mta.info and just search for subway map…I’m born and raised here but I still have the map handy on my phone and it’s just really useful… The mta does have a few apps but they’re not that useful the only app that is actually super useful is the qr code reader for the buses but that’s only if u take the bus the embark nyc app for the trains only tells u the schedule but not necessarily when the next train is actually going to be there… in terms of payment for the transportation you use the same metrocard for both the subways and buses and you have 2 hours from your first swipe to transfer. the fare JUST this month went up to $2.75 a ride tears so I suggest two things: (depending on the amount of time you are staying) if you are a party of 1-2 people, then getting a weekly unlimited for each person will come in handy but if you are more than that (ie a family) then maybe use one card but keep refilling it… Also feel free to ask anybody for directions we are pretty friendly despite what U may hear!!:) also come to queensssss!! Best food in the whole city!!!:) oh also.. you MUST go to brunch (boozy brunch if you’re over 21!) lol… on the more etiquette side of ny PLEASE step to the side if you want to take pictures or stop for any reason, the sidewalks are not very wide and it can be very frustrating when people are rushing to work or going back home and people suddenly stop..PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not stop in the middle of the stairs in the subways and let people out of the subway first before going in.. (this is a daily struggle -_-) … REGARDING SAFETY I generally feel very safe here, i have never been attacked in any way nor do I know anybody who has but it can happen as it can anywhere in the world. Everybody carries their phones and ipads out in the open on the trains but you still have to be cautious because you just never know. Make sure your bag is in front of you or at least have your zippers closed. Sounds obvious but I know people can get easily distracted so just always have your belongings close to you …regarding the AIRPORTS.. both airports are in queens (you may also be coming in from new jersey) either way, if you’re hotel is in manhattan, be prepared for a long taxi ride (approximately an hour or so depending on traffic so it may be better to come at night) it may also get expensive but im pretty sure there is a flat airport rate but im not sure what that is but please take a yellow/green cab the black private cabs get really expensive. Public transportation is pretty easily available for both airports though! …OOO ALSO!!! VERY IMPORTANT!! many museums, such as the metropolitan museum of art or the museum of natural history, will have “suggested admission prices” of about $13. THIS IS NOT THE PRICE OF ADMISSION! whenever you see “suggest price/admission” this just means that is what they want you to pay but you can just pay whatever you want (aka it’s a donation). I always pay $1 whenever I go to these museums. On that note because you only pay $1 for these museums DO NOT get those city passes that cost like $30-100 (I think). The museums are basically free and so is the 9/11 memorial (not the museum) so it’s not worth it (unless you wanna do like empire state building etc) but then get the official new york pass not the city pass… ok that’s really specific lmao anywho ill be more than happy to answer questions about nyc to anybody who is interested in visiting!!! I love sharing my love for this city!! =)

3. Hi guys! Really quick question!
    I’m planning to take a trip from Toronto to South Korea this summer and currently shopping for flights. Any recommendations on flight routes/pricing?

Any help would be fantastic!

4. If you go to Spain, you’d better use international taxi services (Uber, or this one I always use for airport transfers – http://kiwitaxi.com/Spain/Barcelona+Airport ) just because people in Spain don’t know English at all and you’re taking a risk to stick at the airport from the beginning of your trip) But if you learn a few Spanish words and demonstrate it in Spain you will be provided with smiles and generous treatment all over your journey)

5. VietNam!
    Guys if u ever plan to go to vietnam one of most important tip i can give u is take a vitamin pill or digestive pill for ur stomach first before eating( not that is not safe to eat but the water in vietnam is way diff than in other but other than that anything cooked is safe to eat)and here a loophole for u travel maniac if u plan on travel to multiple countries at once travel to vietnam first then go to any travel agency in vietnam to buy ticket or tour trip there. Why? becuz it hella cheap in vietnam for some reason. Im going back to vietnam this summer then to korea and it save me more than 300$ like that. not guaranteeit will be cheap everywhere so do go to a few agency before deciding to buy it.

• Oh also for coffee maniac like martina u should try some coffee in vietnam to especially the one in HaNoi and Saigon

6. Russia!
    Tip 1: wait for 5 more years until most Russians can pick up some decent English.
    Tip 2: if you are impatient, learn Russian
    That’s all :D

7. I’m gonna be in Seoul April 26, 2015 to May 9, 2015! What should I do?

8. I just got back from vacation in Seoul and Busan, and I had a different experience with the maps. I used Google Maps with no problem. I had Daum maps, but my Korean isn’t good enough for me to rely on that alone. Also, I did not have luck finding these open wifi hotspots and had to get an elloh egg. The Korea Subway app is amazing, but I only realized how amazing after my friends had to show me how to use it.

9. heeey!! Spain here!! Balearic islands!! tips… come on late spring or late summer to avoid crouds of ppl everywhere.. plus the wheather is perfect to go to the beach whithout burning yourself to death.
    Eat before going to the airport… is expensive and shitty… :D
    I’m going to korea on april!! can`t wait to get there >_< <3

10. Planning to visit SK in January. How is it like? How cold does it get? Do I need to bring a big, thick jacket? Heavy boots? Anyone know? I just don’t want to freeze.

11. If you guys come to Texas (because really this place is like its own country) there are some things I find my foreign friends get overwhelmed with. Driving in the Houston, Austin, Dallas, and big city areas are very similar to that fast-paced, crazy driving you see in many other countries because, well, those are the cities here that have a lot of people from other countries settled in them. But if you’re leaving those places get used to driving slow and don’t be alarmed if you get pulled over in small counties for speeding or swerving. But it’s not like this big awful thing that you’ll always get ticketed for. Mostly it’s because the county police want to make sure you’re alright and not hurt or intoxicated. Also, you thought food portions were crazy when you went to California? Well, they don’t say everything in Texas is bigger for nothing. It’s pretty ridiculous, but don’t be afraid to ask a restaurant for half portions because even I, who was born and raised here, do that. Also, I hear the southern hospitality thing freaks people out, but we don’t know we do it (i.e. opening doors and randomly greeting people and the such). And some of my friends love it and forget how much they do when they go back home. We don’t really have a subway system or fancy money things (except Starbucks doesn’t like to take American Express here for some reason), but hopefully this helps!

I’m glad you posted this because I will be honeymooning in South Korea next summer :)

12. Thanks for the tips. I’m planning on traveling Korea in October.

Though, what would be super awesome, is when I’m in Seoul, what should I do?!?!? Where should I go??!? What are the musts of Korea. :)

• I’m going to seoul in October also. I want to know the weather is going to be like.

• heyyo :) I just came back from a trip to Seoul and what I think you should really do is visit districts like Insadong and Myeong-dong, especially in the afternoon/evening! they have a lot of shops and street food there and the atmosphere is amazing. The palaces are also pretty awesome, and some of them have free entry on the last wednesday of each month. Hope you have a great time in Seoul, I did ;)

13. I am planning to travel this summer. That was sooo useful. Thank you! :)

14. Texas Airports Tip – DFW has JACK CRAP in the way of stores and restaurants outside security (except for a small newsstand in the international arrivals waiting area of Terminal D). The same is true for Amarillo International Airport. Dallas-Love Field used to have a pretty decent central atrium with a Chili’s, a Cinnabon, and a McDonald’s before security, but I haven’t flown through there since they remodeled a few years ago. It’s been a while since I’ve had to use another Texas or US airport, so I can’t really report on others.

15. I will be traveling to SK in September, this would be first time visiting and traveling on my own. I would like to ask for advice and tips for this trip things that I should or not do. I will much appreciated.

16. Considering I don’t do planes (seriously, they terrify me), I’ll probably never travel to Korean, but I love hearing about these types of differences between Korea and other parts of the world.

17. US GENERAL:
    1. Americans love their personal space. When standing in line or standing at a bar (unless it’s crowded and you’re without a choice) or at a festival, don’t stand too close to people (pretty sure The Police wrote “Don’t Stand So Close to Me” after visiting America. Americans get weird about people standing too close to them. Arms length is usually a good measurement.

CINCINNATI, OHIO:
    Visit in Summer or Autumn, catch a Reds Baseball game. The stadium is top notch and a fun way to spend a day. Just buy tickets from the scalpers on the street. Or wait a few innings and buy from the box office. Eat anywhere in Over the Rhine (OTR) area, Graeters ice cream (black raspberry chip is the bomb!) and although I hate it try Skyline Chili….it’s definitely unique. 21C Hotel is great with contemporary art installments but very pricey. Otherwise, plenty of hotels downtown, and stay downtown. Public transit is for crap so rent a car. Cincy airport is actually in Kentucky (what???) so you’ll need a rental car. Taxis? I don’t think they’ve heard of those here. If you arrive from a foreign country, you will be required to go through airport check-in twice. Once for customs, and another to just re-enter the airport so you can leave it. Makes no sense. And if you buy anything from a duty free shop, stick in your CHECKED luggage before going thru customs otherwise it’s an ordeal. You’ll have to check your bags again (yes, it’s weird) so you’ll have time.

NEW ORLEANS/BATON ROUGE, LOUISIANA
    You can stay in French Quarter, but it’s pricey and it’s loud, especially during busy season. Better to stay in central business district (CBD)/warehouse district. It’s plenty close to FQ. Best time to go is right AFTER Mardi Gras (if you don’t care about Mardi Gras). The French Quarter is super clean and the weather is ideal. Eat anywhere. Eat everything. Stay away from chain restaurants. Rent a car and take a 50 minute drive to Baton Rouge if you go in the fall and catch an LSU football game if you can get tickets. Tailgating at LSU is a unique experience. Even if you don’t have tickets, go tailgate. They put TVs in the trees.

• I have to reply to you just from the shock of seeing a comment about Cincinnati. Born and raised, and still living in, Cincinnatian here! Threw me off for a second.

The only thing I can add on to this is that if you go to try Skyline Chili, don’t go in thinking tex-mex chili, don’t even think chili. It is really just a meat sauce for spaghetti. If you go in expecting chili it will disappoint you. Granted, it is honestly a food that you either love it or you hate it. I love it personally, but I know plenty who don’t.

Taxis exist, but they aren’t really a thing you can flag down on the street. You have to call for one. But it is a city that you need a car to get around easily. Things are spread out and the areas outside of the downtown involve fairly steep hills, so not really walking/biking friendly. Renting a car is definitely the best way to go.

P.S. Black raspberry chip really is the bomb.

18. fantastic TL;DR! Hoping to come for my first return to the motherland next year ^.^

19. http://www.eatyourkimchi.com/tips-and-tricks-for-south-korea/#comments

Hopefully I’ll be traveling to SK in the summer with friends. Thank you for the tips!
    I live in Israel, and foreigners are usually shocked by many things when they visit here, so I’d like to point some things out in you’re ever planning on visiting Israel.
    ***Disclaimer: I don’t care what you feel/think about Israel. This is not the place to discuss politics. Save your nasty comments for yourselves. I’m here to try and help you get along in Israel. Don’t like it – keep on scrolling. Thank you.***

1. When you arrive to Israel, you’ll arrive to Ben Gurion Airport, the only airport in Israel which accepts international flights. (We’ve got a few smaller airports, but you can only use them to fly around Israel, which is really unnecessary, since Israel is really small, about the size of NYC.)
    When you get off the plane, you’ll reach the Duty Free area, which is very popular by Israelis going abroad, because it’s really cheap, compared to the prices at major cities, such as Tel Aviv, Jerusalem or Haifa.
    There are 3 ways to leave the airport: a) A bus. b) A Taxi. c) The train.
    The but takes a really long time to get anywhere, about an hour to Tel Aviv, so it’s not really recommended. You can take the taxis only if you have a lot of luggage or heavy luggage. Taxis from the airport are more expensive than taxis that drive inside cities (about 25$-40$), and they love robbing tourists (like most taxi drivers around the world does), so Israelis don’t really use them unless absolutely necessary.
    The train (THE train of Israel. We’re a really, really small country) is the most common and favorable way to travel between cities or from the airport. About 10 minutes away from Tel Aviv (the first destination of the train), and arrives every 20-25 minutes.

2. When you’ll get off the train station, you should take a taxi. I know what I wrote before, but inside cities, if you’re traveling with a luggage, taxis are much more comfortable than buses. They still are pretty expensive, but that’s only Tel Aviv. In other, smaller cities, the prices are much more sane.

3. Many tourists get a “cultural shock” when they first arrive to Israel. Mostly it’s because of the shouting. In Israel we shout. A LOT. Because of pretty much everything – we’re happy, we’re sad, we’re excited, we’re mad – we shout. We just express ourselves loudly. It might sound like we’re vulgar, but we just talk very loudly, so don’t take it personally – no one is cussing at you or is mad at you. Bus drivers, taxi drives, salesperson – we’re all just loud.

4. Israelis don’t know how to queue. We just don’t really like standing in line. We push and we shove, and we’re mad at other people for doing it, but we’ll probably end do it anyway. You’ll see a straight line usually in banks, but mostly we just get as close as possible, as fast as possible – because we just want to get home more quickly.

5. On the road, we’re pretty good drivers. We have one of the lowest accidents rate of the OECD countries. Of course we’ve got some crazy horses, and bus drivers and taxi drivers sometimes think they own the road, but driving in Israel is relatively safe, and there are road signs to point you wherever you want to go (remember: In Israel we drive on the RIGHT SIDE of the road).

6. The most common foreign languages in Israel are English, Russian and French. English is usually for business purposes; Russian is because the Russian Jews are the 2nd largest ethnic group in Israel; French is because we have a lot of tourists from France. In Israel, 90% of streets signs are written in Hebrew, English and Arabic.

7. If you decide to got to the beach, try avoiding the ones where you have to pay for seats. The fees for sun chairs is overpriced in Tel Aviv and Haifa, and that’s illegal (usually run by the mafia). Try heading south, to Ashdod or Ashkelon, or to the northern beaches of Haifa, where the seating is free.

8. If you’re planning a trip to Jerusalem, make sure to bring a long-sleeved shirt, pants or a long skirt, because you may get lost and end up in an orthodox neighborhood (happens to Israelis ALL THE TIME. Jerusalem is like a maze, even with a GPS, and many of the residents are orthodox Jews). The residents will help you find your way out, but out of respect for them, you should cover yourselves up (applies to both men and women).

9. One thing we Israelis really good at is bargaining. We bargain about everything, even on a 2.50$ meal. Israeli salespersons always charge extra from tourists, because they really want your money, but don’t be ashamed to bargain! Most of the time they will drop the price (especially if you’ll threaten to leave), so try to bargain as much as possible, and even ask other shoppers the price for a certain item.

There are many more guidelines for traveling to Israel, but hopefully I’ve covered the basics :)
    Thank you for reading!

20. in Australia we drive on the other side of the road compared to most countries, so if your visiting say on the right side of the road, also the steering wheel is on the opposite so yeah when your going to get into a taxi don’t go into the drivers side XD another thing with taxis you dont hail them down off the road, you have to called about an half an hour to an hour in advance to get any where and are over priced and will take you the longest rout to get more money. often taxi drives are bad at English, ive never gotten into a taxi with as Australian driver. 15 minutes in a taxi cost me $28

for wifi its not really everywhere and most places have passwords that you have to buy a drink or something before you can receive twhere, often individually owned places have a fee if its under $5 its like a 50c to $2.50 depending ohe password, maccas wifi generally never works

credit cards are everyn the place. this is also for ATMs they will charge you usage fees if its not your company $2 for checking your account or withdrawing money. its better to carry at lest $50 at all times that will get you about any thing you really need like bus or train fairs.

trains and buses are usually 1-10 minutes late! sometimes (far and few between) they are on time si its best to get there a little early, there are always seats on the train and buses off peak hour.

also if you are foreign and don’t know how to swim, swim between the flags at the beach! so many foreigners go into the water and drown because we have extremely powerful currents that WILL take you to deep waters and you will die. ive seen this happen so many times (no the death part lucky) but many been pulled and having CPR ive had to preform CPR on an Irish woman who couldn’t swim. so please don’t take risks if you are a weak swimmer stay between the flags so life guards can watch you safely

21. I am currently a Designated School Official (DSO) at a university and I work with our International students with F-1 student visas. A big part of my job has been helping students adjust to the U.S. and giving useful tips for their visit. There are the obvious ones that you can find on any website, however, here’s my list of things that may not be as obvious:

Airport Transit: Unless you’re flying into a major city and staying in the city, you should not rely on public transit from getting to the airport to your hotel. Public transit here is awful. I mean, REALLY awful. Look into shuttle services offered by the airport in advanced. Things such as Uber and Lyft are also really popular and may be good alternatives for getting around.

Healthcare: If you become sick in the U.S., NEVER use the Emergency Room for non-emergency things such as the flu or cold. Use Urgent Care, which is significantly cheaper. Also, if you’re planning on visiting for more than a couple of weeks, I recommend getting traveler’s health insurance to possibly mitigate costs in the hospital.

Tipping: This is always a mess of a conversation. Essentially, you should be tipping between 15-20% of your bill at a restaurant, unless its fast food or it explicitly says not to tip, like a grocery store. It’s then compounded by the fact some services may tip more (getting a haircut for example) or whether it’s a franchise or a small business (you typically don’t tip at Starbucks but should tip at a local coffee shop). It even changes when you go to areas like an international district where some restaurants may not expect you to tip if they’re from a place where tipping is not customary. I typically still tip, but if you’re Korean going to a Korean restaurant, chances are you aren’t expected to tip.

Exact Change: I’ve had students ask me about giving exact change. Whenever they have change, they typically want to count out the exact change because it’s considered rude or lazy to just give a large bill for a smaller sum. Or, you make it a point of making the small change exact and the larger bill as close as possible to the exact amount. In the U.S., it does not matter. In fact, people get annoyed if you hold up a line to count out change. Plus, since your goods are taxed at the register, you may not know the amount until you’re about to pay. Which reminds me…

Taxes: The listed price on a good will unlikely be the amount you pay, unless it’s food. Alcohol and cigarettes have huge tax margins, so be prepared to pay up to double than what you see listed on the ticket. Most other goods, expect around %10 percent in most major cities. Taxes change depending on which State you live in the United States.

Race and People of Color: This is always an interesting one. It’s a combination of how not to be racist as well as becoming racialized. I have to explain to my students how to interact with people of color, as it may be their first time interacting with someone who is not White. Don’t ask to touch people’s hair, don’t take unsolicited photos, etc. Also, especially for my East Asian students, it’s interesting to explain to them how they are now a person with a racial identity that is not consider the norm. Also, that they may be called Chinese when they’re not Chinese.

Drunk Bicycle Driving: Ah, another fun one. If you’re drunk AND drove a bicycle to a bar, you CANNOT drive it back! It’s considered drinking and driving. Yes, you will be pulled over if you look intoxicated on a bicycle.

Local Weather: The United States is HUGE. Because of that, weather is drastically different depending where you go. I cannot stress enough how you should do your research on the weather in the area that you’re staying. Check if it’s humid, dry, rainy, etc. As for preparing for weather, I would veer to the side of practical and casual, and see how locals prepare for the weather if you can. A good example is the Seattle area. A lot of people know that it’s rainy, but what people don’t know is that umbrellas are NOT used by locals. The rain is typically too mild and umbrellas rust because of all the moisture in the air. Get a raincoat from REI or any outdoors/hiking store and you’ll be golden.

These are my tips! :D

• right about the umbrellas in Seattle unless it’s POURING DOWN, even then it’s usually windy too so umbrellas are generally useless. We do wear sunglasses ALOT and you’re likely to see people wearing shorts when you would think too cold (seriously 39 degrees F and still some guys out on my street in shorts).

• what a great list! I’d add to your comment about TIPS to only tip on the subtotal before…not the total that includes tax.

22. Ah, Japan. Waaay less innovative and modern than most people think. Cash is absolutely necessary everywhere. But you know, it’s Japan, so walking around carrying handfuls of cash is not as scary as it could be in other countries.

23. Guys, I could not disagree more about the wibro/portable hotspot. I come to Korea all the time, and I have never found it easy or cheap to log in to free wifi on the go. If you really need daum maps to get around or to be using katalk while out and about, the portable wifi is an absolute must.

Otherwise, bang on the banana.

24. Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im going in 132 days – not that I count… ;) Were going for 3 weeks, and its always good to have some extra tips!!!!! I know that you have talked a bit about the weather, the moonson season, but I really would like to know how the weather REALLY is in june/july and august – this because every site I visited only talks about the horror of the rain…! You dont have rain all the time during the mooonson season, right!? :/

Tips in Sweden – Gothenburg (taking away our letter ä and replaces it with a):

* The worst thing I think about Gothenburg is the transfer system. Not that its not charming, its just a bit confusing. Make sure to try and visit a Vasttrafik-station first. There you can ask how to get around in Gothenburg and how the different cards work, and which one you need :)

* Sweden can be a bit expensive I think. You should be able to pay everywhere with card/Visa though.

* Could be good to have some 5-crowns with you in Gothenburg, in case of restroom emergencies:)
    – Åhlens (in Nordstan on second floor is great, but costs)
    – Nordstan also have one all the way on the other side – do believe that one costs to.
    – Central station

Central station:
    – You can if your visiting during the day leave your packing in the station.
    There is a floor under the station where you can leave your bag – either in a box or by submitting it to the people who works there.
    Good to know is:
    – Some boxes take cards
    – Some boxes don’t – you need cash (10-crowns or 5-crowns, sometimes the exchange-machine works, sometimes it doesn’t. Try to get some cash with you – note they are quite expensive)

Places (food) to visit (I really recommend):

* The Rover (Second Longstreet – Iron square)
    – they have the best hamburgers :D
    * Pinchos (one around the Avenue and one around Linné)
    – nice place where you can order great food and drinks with an App. Like a tapas place.
    * Moon Thai Kitchen (around the Avenue)
    – thai food in a really thai-inspired place
    * Wrapped – Burrito Bar
    – you choose what you want in with your food, and if you want with or without bread. THIS place is really great and have different kinds of things for you to choose. The pulled pork – yummy :D

• I agree with Rardnas, Sweden can be expensive. If you’re going to use Visa/Credit make sure it has a pin #, most places require it, others that don’t will need to see your ID (Passport, etc.).

The 5 Crowns for bathrooms is also important!

If you’re coming in from Copenhagen airport (which I’d really recommend) after passing through customs and out towards the train departure area there is a “secret” bathroom. Right past the SAS check-in and rotating door you can access it by either taking the elevator to the floor below, or by taking the stairs. Skanetrafiken is a good app for traveling in southern Sweden. If you’re going to be traveling back and forth between Sweden and Denmark often you can get an Oresund Pass (various different ones, also student discount).

Also, unless you go to a bar, you can only buy alcohol from Systembolaget (some stores do sell 2% beer). While there’s a lot of locations, they have limited hours (can close at 7 or earlier).

• Great point blueberrysunday! Didnt even think of Systembolaget and passport/ID. :)
        About ID/Passport – be sure to keep it with you all the time, you never know when they ask you about your age for something. Martina got id:d on IKEA, right?! ;)
        Good to know about our alcohol rules. You HAVE to be 20 to buy alcohol in Systembolaget. If you are underaged and are with friends who are older and get asked for ID – they will NOT sell to you – or probably not to your friends either. Here they are pretty extreme about that. As blueberrysunday also pointed out – limited opening hours on Systembolaget. Saturdays they close even more early, and on Sundays they are closed. Be sure to get what you need before that or even better before saturday, in case you´ll miss the timing.
        Some bars have 18 years as legal age to go, some higher. Try and look it up before you hit the bars so you dont end up that some people dont get in (when I was younger girls had a better possibility to enter a bar with age limit then guys.. dont know how it is now)!!

• Oh, if I only new a way to transfer cheese to you :S I LOVE cheese in every way. My snack at the moment is goat cheese with crackers and olives ;D Then I would transfer cheese in my bag to you when we go to Seoul :) And bread!!

25. Cool!! this is so timely since I’m going to Korea at the end of March! I’ll have to watch it again before I go!

hmm, i can’t really give you any advice about things you should know for Japan, eheh, since you guys have been here so many times already and seem to know most of them (no wifi, cash-only everywhere, atms have closing time…)

26. Thank you so much for the travel tips. I am going on a bike trip to Korea in April. I hope it will not rain the whole time I’m there because that would be super uncomfortable. I just down loaded the subway and buss apps. I also found the USB charger on Amazon. Thanks again.

• You are going on a bike trip to korea? With an agency? Or self organised? Sorry for being so nosy, but I am really into that idea too! I’ve already looked into ibike tours, but am not really sure, if I should do it, since I am not a regular biker. But I love cycling and the idea of taking my time going around Korea without being packed in a bus or car the whole time. How did you get the idea? Are you a regular biker? Have you been to Korea before? Do you speak the language a bit?
      If you have any tips or suggestions, I’d be really glad.

27. Hey guys!! Here are a few travel tips for anyone planning to come to Memphis,TN:

1.First things first the weather is pretty damn unpredictable. Spring/Summer are our tornado and rainy our seasons. Do be careful cause people here can’t drive in either of those weather types. Summer….I hope you know how to breathe through water. Summer temperatures can average between 85-105 degrees Fahrenheit with 80-100% humidity. Fall can be rather warm and sometimes flooding (but only when the Delta & Mid-South fairs are about to happen). And winter is pretty much all of those weather types rolled together with the ocassional artic winds from Canda and snow/ice from hitting around January – March.

2. Second, if you are traveling with pets I ask you to not leave them in your car. Because like your valuables your pet might get stolen. Just recently a couple of Elvis fans who came down to visit Graceland had their dog stolen from their car while they went to go eat. My advice, either find a place to eat that is pet friendly or leave Spot back at the hotel or wherever you are staying.

3. Third, if you’re traveling in the month of May you might want to avoid Downtown Memphis like the Plague. The Memphis in May festivities will be taking place all month long; the event includes tourist and local favorites like the 3-Day Memphis in May Beale Street Music festival, the craw fish fest, the international barbecue competition, and lots more. If none of these events interest you, I repeat, avoid downtown. Save yourself the headache.

4. Fourth, if you’re a first timer here, I’d like to recommend you try the following places to eat:
    – Charlie Vergos’ Rendezvous http://www.hogsfly.com/
    – Celtic Crossing http://www.celticcrossingmemphis.com/
    – The Arcade http://arcaderestaurant.com/
    – The Silver Caboose http://silvercaboose.com/

5. And last but not least, I can not stress this enough! BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS!!! Memphis IS NOT the safest city in America. It pisses me off when I see tourist just wandering around Graceland/Elvis Presley Blvd so leisurely. Like no! That is not an area you just walk around. Sure Whitehaven isn’t North Memphis but still. Let’s be safe and not end up taking an unplanned visit to 201 Poplar or The Med.

28. One thing that I like to say to anyone who comes to visit my city (Grand Rapids, MI) is stay local as much as possible. I try to make this a habit when I’m visiting other cities as well. In 2009 my city started hosting a gigantic art competition every year in the fall. Artists and visitors come from all over the world to participate which has caused a lot of larger businesses to set up shop around the city and bump out smaller local shops. One thing that has always been a driving force in my city is the fact that it’s home to so many great artists and makers, and that many of them are able to thrive owning businesses that focus on their talents. There’s an avenue that describes my city in a nutshell because walking down it means you’ll see a vegan doughnut shop where the ingredients are grown a few miles from the store, a “made on site from scratch” pasta shop, a leather worker’s boutique, an indie zine shop with succulents and modified vintage clothing, and a burlesque troupe’s recording studio and practice space where you can take hula hoop classes. There’s so many rad places you can miss if you’re stopping at starbucks instead of looking for the local coffee shop. One thing many of the residents here are noticing is that bigger businesses will set up shop and then try to market their products as if they are a part of the local community even if nothing they sell is local. There’s a difference between the restaurant that has local meat and vegetables in their dishes and has artwork for sale around the store from a local artist vs. a restaurant that sells meat from a few states over and has “locally themed” artwork that’s created and manufactured somewhere else in the country. As a working artist it can be discouraging to have to compete price wise with merchandise and artwork that can be made for pennies because the material is bulk and the product is mass produced. I try to stay local where ever you go because it may cost a little more but it’s helping someone trying to make a living vs. a company that does little to help the local community thrive.