WTF – Training Chopsticks

June 15, 2011

Comments

Yeah, we know that this isn’t really as weird as our Japanese Instant Boobs. Nothing will ever live up to the awesome bizarreness of those boobs. These chopsticks, though, we found quite befitting for what we’re doing this week. Martina’s parents are visiting us from Canada – Hooray! – and they’re not really skilled in chopstick usage, so these training chopsticks are just the thing for them. And, hey, maybe they’re just the thing for you as well, if you don’t know how to use chopsticks yet. You could win them in our WTF Care Package contest next week. Sweet!

Anyhow, we’re not sure how well these work to begin with. I mean, they work, in that they’ll pick up food for you in a chopstick like manner, but I’m not sure if they’ll do much for teaching you how to use them. You stick your fingers in the holes, and those holes are attached to the chopsticks, so move your fingers and the chopsticks move with you. It doesn’t teach you, though, how to hold the chopstick with your thumb. It’s lazy, no? Maybe it’s like training wheels: they teach you how to ride, sure, but they don’t teach you the most important part of riding: how to balance your bike and not fall on your face and run home crying to your mom about how much you hate biking and never want to bike again. That’s a very important lesson to learn.

The packaging was just ridiculous, though: these chopsticks, supposedly, boost your IQ and EQ? We weren’t even sure what EQ was (we had to Google it. “Emotional Intelligence”. Cool!) and now that we know what it is we’re not even sure how these chopsticks will help you develop emotionally. Anyone trained in child psychology here? We need answers! Martina’s guess is this: if you’re that one kid in kindergarten who can’t use chopsticks to save your life, and everyone teases you for it, these trainers will help teach you, so that you’re not teased anymore, and thus no longer in emotional turmoil. Is that it?

Another question: when do Asian kids begin to learn how to use chopsticks? They’re hard to use, after all! Simon learned in his grade 10 English class when someone did a presentation on multiculturalism (great presentation, by the way!) Martina had a really close Japanese friend as a neighbour, and so Martina learned how to use them when she was really young. But she was taught by her friend. How old was her friend when she learned how to use chopsticks? Miki? Are you reading this? We hope you are reading this. We’re gonna email you just to tell you to read this.

So that’s it for this week. If anyone knows anything about these, please let us know.

Comments

WTF

WTF – Training Chopsticks

1. I think for me. I learned chopsticks just by holding them. Cuz I watched anime and read alot of manga when i younger like 4. ahahaha I remember trying to copy Bleach’s Karin when she ate ahahahahahah. For me, it wasn’t that hard actually.

2. Martina,U’re SO cute when you do a “littlechild-sweet-voice—thing?” =3

3. Me too. I still can’t bike, though my balance on my feet is quite good. I learned to use chopsticks in Chinese restaurants. I was probably around 10 or so when I learned, maybe a bit younger.

4. I feel the ultimate skill in using chopsticks is being able to cut/split kimchi.  My mom is a master, and I have yet to obtain the same level of skillz :)

5. They are wonderful for kids… my almost 5 year old is doing pritty well… no more ” mommy i wanna use chopsticks like you!” all the time… tho i really need to start putting the extra pair in my purse so when we go out she can use them… fyi they work better with the smaller hands… its why you two are having such trouble lol

6. I found these chopsticks that you’re talking about at Galleria Supermarket(Korean Grocery Store on Yonge & Steels)! $7.99 for one!

7. My daughter’s training chopsticks came today…she loves them.

8. Sam

I’m Chinese and I think I started with chopsticks sometime before preschool when my hand dexterity was decent enough. I started using Japanese-style chopsticks – aka the ones that are tapered at one end – so that what I couldn’t really pick up successfully, I could just spear it and I was good to go XDD I varied later on between the square Chinese-style ones and Japanese ones depending on which were on hand/I thought were prettier hahaha.But tbh I held my chopsticks improperly for quite a few years. I held mine like a pencil/caligraphy brush rather than the proper way of using your thumb as a pivot with 2nd+3rd finger on the top stick, 4th finger supporting the the bottom one. I only forced myself to learn the proper way after a rude little girl (who was quite a few years younger than me) who was visiting our house for dinner with her family pointed at me in the middle of dinner and started laughing about how I was stupid and incapable of holding chopsticks like a normal person. When her parents started laughing as well, needless to say, I was definitely motivated to learn the proper way to hold chopsticks hahaha. I was pissed beyond belief considering she was friends of family friends and we’d only met maybe once before that dinner.

My older sister on the other hand held her chopsticks perfectly since she was young – she learned from watching a popular shrimp dumpling commercial on chinese tv at our grandma’s as a kid by mimicking the way the the model held and displayed the dumplings LOL.

9. Those things are actually made for kids, but they have one like those made for adults…I saw it in our local H-Mart (Hanareum)…my girls and my nephew looooove them!!!!

10. Tee hee, you guys are so cute.

11. Tee hee, you guys are so cute.

12. I learnt how to use chopsticks when I was 5? cos out of curiousity, i picked up peanuts with them. so yeah from then on, i started using them! :D

13. Lol i got taught to use chop sticks when i was 4 …..Hey i just asked my Mum :DDD…..it was difficult…..to this day i stick get hit with Chopsticks if i use my left hand >.< Mum and Dad doesnt approve :D im Multi-chop stick :DD ….?
    I must say i have 10 years of experience :DDD so im not that bad :DDD

14. MSA

Oh oh oh!! Here’s one of the children who ran back home to momma and swore never to touch a bike again with a ten-foot pole, after her dad eliminated the not-so-helpful training wheels and pushed her down a (not so steep) slope!

And I remain fully commited to that oath. I keep my promises, oh yeah.

– As a side note, I pretty much taught myself how to eat with chopsticks after my mom bought our first three pairs last year. I cooked nothing but kinda-asian stuff, and refused to use anything except my chopsticks to eat it. It turns out Hunger is a great teacher.

15. ^^ This is so splendid! I remember making my Dad some of these for my Parents celebration of their 30th Weddingday, visiting a sushi-restaurant.

16. I remember when I started using chopsticks! Most parents begin teaching when the child is also learning how to feed themselves.. I learned when I was about 5 or 6, when my family and I would go to a Chinese restaurant and there are plenty of chopsticks and time to practice while waiting for the food. Initially the chopsticks were too long for my hands so I used them as stabbing devices. And I tried copying how my parents and brother would hold them in their hands. Initially I didn’t get the chopsticks held in the correct position (since my hand coordination wasn’t that great yet) but with practice it got easier and my position is now the correct position.

As a kid, I practiced picking up all sorts of things (like tofu, peanuts, mushrooms cut in half are surprisingly one of the most difficult things to pick up) at the dinner table and I think that’s the reason why as children we pick up using chopsticks fairly quickly. And most of my family used chopsticks anyways, so as a kid I would really felt left out if I was the only one using a spoon. :P