WTF – Training Chopsticks

June 15, 2011

Comments

Yeah, we know that this isn’t really as weird as our Japanese Instant Boobs. Nothing will ever live up to the awesome bizarreness of those boobs. These chopsticks, though, we found quite befitting for what we’re doing this week. Martina’s parents are visiting us from Canada – Hooray! – and they’re not really skilled in chopstick usage, so these training chopsticks are just the thing for them. And, hey, maybe they’re just the thing for you as well, if you don’t know how to use chopsticks yet. You could win them in our WTF Care Package contest next week. Sweet!

Anyhow, we’re not sure how well these work to begin with. I mean, they work, in that they’ll pick up food for you in a chopstick like manner, but I’m not sure if they’ll do much for teaching you how to use them. You stick your fingers in the holes, and those holes are attached to the chopsticks, so move your fingers and the chopsticks move with you. It doesn’t teach you, though, how to hold the chopstick with your thumb. It’s lazy, no? Maybe it’s like training wheels: they teach you how to ride, sure, but they don’t teach you the most important part of riding: how to balance your bike and not fall on your face and run home crying to your mom about how much you hate biking and never want to bike again. That’s a very important lesson to learn.

The packaging was just ridiculous, though: these chopsticks, supposedly, boost your IQ and EQ? We weren’t even sure what EQ was (we had to Google it. “Emotional Intelligence”. Cool!) and now that we know what it is we’re not even sure how these chopsticks will help you develop emotionally. Anyone trained in child psychology here? We need answers! Martina’s guess is this: if you’re that one kid in kindergarten who can’t use chopsticks to save your life, and everyone teases you for it, these trainers will help teach you, so that you’re not teased anymore, and thus no longer in emotional turmoil. Is that it?

Another question: when do Asian kids begin to learn how to use chopsticks? They’re hard to use, after all! Simon learned in his grade 10 English class when someone did a presentation on multiculturalism (great presentation, by the way!) Martina had a really close Japanese friend as a neighbour, and so Martina learned how to use them when she was really young. But she was taught by her friend. How old was her friend when she learned how to use chopsticks? Miki? Are you reading this? We hope you are reading this. We’re gonna email you just to tell you to read this.

So that’s it for this week. If anyone knows anything about these, please let us know.

Comments

WTF

WTF – Training Chopsticks

1. After a total of 7 years of psychology studies, I don’t think there is any way that chopsticks, will improve your EQ or IQ, particularly the EQ. EQ is about your ability to socialise, empathise with people and interact with them in a socially appropriate way. The only thing about these chopsticks is that they will teach you how to eat food so you don’t make a fool out of yourself when eating out. :)
    Now how do chopsticks teach you empathy with people? Or how do they improve your logical thinking and understanding of the world.
    Maybe I could do research on that for my DPhil to see if Martina’s assumption is correct. XD

This is a piece of strange marketing. Unless someone proves me wrong. XD

2. I think asian parents just give kids chopsticks and say “use it”. I don’t know. My cousin’s children are pretty proficient at chopsticks already since kindergarten…

Simon and Martina! you guys can really put lots of asian people to shame! Both of you handle chopsticks really well and in the proper way, whereas there are quite a lot of people who can’t be bothered to hold them properly and think that so long as they can pick up stuff it’s fine D: i used to handle them wrongly without knowing too X: but i’ve managed to “re-train” my fingers (:

• I sometimes feel like we learned how to use them TOO formally.  We’ve seen people hold chopsticks in bizarre ways, with their pinky fingers and it looks like they’re stabbing their food, and we think that our ways might be antiquated…

• yup. Most people think that so long as they can get food from plate to mouth with that, fine. But I think it’s a skill to be proud of :) If people from another culture/country can do things fine and properly, why should we have excuses to not do so?…personal opinion there :)

(ps. my brother uses chopsticks in a bizarre way…but somehow i feel that taking food isn’t as efficient as the proper way..hmmm)Anyways, BE PROUD of your skills! I think little asian kids will be impressed that non-asians can use chopsticks well :D hahahaha

3. wahahaha! CHEATER! haha!

4. omo..I want these for my 3 yo.  She sometimes can get chopsticks right, but then gets frustrated and uses one in each hand.
    I learned as a kid from one of our Japanese exchange students. She took a piece of paper and folded it a certain way, then rubberbanded it to a pair of regular chopsticks.  It made them like they were spring loaded. I wish I knew how to do it; they were so much fun to play with.  I’ve just started trying to use chopsticks more again..but forks are just so darn convenient ( and so much more common in central Wisconsin).

5. You should try using a chopstick to transfer marbles from one bowl to another. Its tough.

6. And… There’re a very famous song about chopsticks in Korea, Dance with DJ.DOC. It’s said…Can we eat because of using chopsticks well? I can eat well even I cannot use chopsticks well.

7. Are there other types of chopstick training wheels? like a pink one?

• Yes, in fact: the winner of the WTF Care Package for next week’s contest will get the pink version of these :D

8. I only learned how to use chopsticks recently(I’m 14) ^^;; And I’m still not very good at using them………

9. Simon, you should use wooden chopsticks. It is easier than using metallic chopsticks!!
    And…. Did you know there are chopsticks combined spoon so that you don’t pack both of chopstick and spoon for lunch?

10. I’M CAPTAIN G SPARROW ERR BODY JUST FOLLOW ME NOW!!!

11. Hmm, I’m pretty sure I started learning to eat with chopsticks around the same time I started eating with a fork.  It went somewhere along the lines of, “Here is food, here is utensil. Watch, copy, perfect.”  I was adopted from Korea into a US military family so I don’t know what the typical experience is.  When I lived in Japan, most of the class used chopsticks proficiently during lunch… but then there were a few kids who I saw just pick things up with their fingers.  So, I think it’s just a case of parenting.  I’ve heard some stories of kids being drilled on their chopstick skills.  Perhaps I need to question my parents’ method… I actually have trouble eating some foods with forks/spoons/sporks instead of chopsticks :p

12. I watched a documentary about kindergartens in China, Japan and S.Korea awhile back. The children in Japan and S.Korea use … well an oversized type of chopstick (they look stubby and fat around). This isn’t to say all are taught this way, but in this documentary they used a heavy type so they could get the children’s hands used to it.
    My sister is going to S.Korea to visit her husband (I’m so jealous as I’m the kpop and just about everything culture wise S.Korea fan). Do you know where she could find these? We tried teaching her kids how to use chopsticks and that didn’t go so well. I don’t even use them properly but I do use them efficiently =) I only just found your site and your YT, wanted to say that I love your humor and enjoy the cuteness. Thanks!

13. It’s genetics. All Asian babies are born carrying chopsticks in their hands. Hahaha…just joking! I’ve been using chopsticks all my life. It’s like the same concept for American children to learn how to use forks and spoons. There are smaller training chopsticks available, I know, in China and I’m pretty sure there are available in Korea and Japan also. The smaller chopsticks make it easier for the smaller hands of children to hold.

14. that video u gotta admit was pretty awkward….XD

15. I learnt how to use chopsticks at the age of 7, though I carried it wrong. It was around the age 10 when I had mastered the proper way.

16. They sell them in the place I go to every week in the china town near where I live. My friend and I were really confuddled about all of this too! I’m actually going to buy some for the sake of it… xD
    They apparently learn as a toddler… not sure though since I’m not asian.
    I learnt when I was 13 in the middle of chinese class while using pencils as chopsticks. I was meant to be studying the words I didn’t knowfor the test the next day. I somehow passed. :3