Update on Our Studio Construction!

December 17, 2012

Comments

Ok, so we’re pretty much spending every second day with our design and construction team at the studio trying to get it all ready. Things are flying by so quickly! We see things developing everyday! Anyhow, we’re super excited about it all, and just wanted to share with you some shots of the progress. This is your studio as much as it is ours, since you contributed to it, so we figured you might want to see what we’re seeing! We also have some plans of including you all in special ways, which we’ll reveal shortly.

I’m sure after watching this video some of you are gonna be like “WHEN WILL IT OPEN AHHHH!!!!” So, as for the expected finish date, it should be CHRISTMAS DAY! In less than a week! Holy smokes! They said that there could possibly be delays, but they don’t foresee it being any later than the 29th, which is still pretty freaking fast! Shouldn’t these things take months? Ah!

We’re doing this with a really cool design firm, Ogisa Design. Ogisa is, like, one of the biggest architects in Korea, supposedly. He’s written a bunch of books on architecture, too. Now, we’re not doing it with the HEAD of Ogisa. He’s a bit too out of our budget. But he did come by to look at the studio and sent one of his staff to handle the design. Luckily, we have a connection with him, somewhat. It’s not like we said “GET US THE BEST AND BRIGHTEST ARCHITECT IN KOREA!” No. Fortunately for us, the people that are designing our app have connections with Ogisa, and so they arranged it. That’s pretty cool, by the way. Our app developers, who should just be app-developey, hook us up with a design and architecture place. Side note: they also helped us find our apartment in Seoul. Good people, they are. JUNE! If you’re reading this, thanks for being such a great guy :D

Back to designing the studio talk: we’re doing things a bit differently than what’s normal, supposedly. We’re saying “supposedly” for a lot of this because we really don’t know anyone that’s done this before, so we’re just telling you things that we’re told. Anyhow, supposedly designing a place takes a lot longer than what it’s taking us, because the designers think about the layout and design and color scheme a lot, and then spend a while making perfect 3D renders of the whole thing. We didn’t need that, though. We had most of the studio already planned out in our minds. We don’t need 3D renders of everything, either. We’ve got good imaginations. If you tell us what you’re thinking about doing with what paint or material, we get it. No need to draw it out for us. So, basically, we have the designer come by with us to the studio as it’s being reconstructed. The designer gives us options of materials and paints and accessories and stuff. We choose then and there on the spot. Construction team starts working on it right away. That’s it! So, it’s a lot cheaper than the normal way of designing things, and also a lot faster. We like it that way!

Anyhow, we’ll tell you more as it develops, though we’re getting at the point now with construction that we don’t want to reveal that much more. We want the final reveal to be surprising in a way, you know? If we show you it all as it unfolds, then you won’t be like “OH MY GOD! THEY DID THAT?! SO COOL!” Woohoo! We can’t wait to get in the studio and do a live tour of it all! As soon as they set an end date for sure for sure, we’ll set a livechat date and do a studio reveal for you all. Then we’ll get back to doing livechats regularly. We sure miss those!

Also, if you’re, well, new to this, here’s our studio hunting video, where you can see a lot of the process of actually finding the place. Yeah!

Comments

Live Chats

Update on Our Studio Construction!

1. This is so exciting, guys!! I’m really happy for you! <3333

2. Wow! The studio is looking amazing guys! I can’t wait to see the end result! This is so amazing! I feel like crying, really I do, you are including us so much so we can feel like we are a part of this, and on behalf of the Nasties, I want to thank you. You guys are amazing! This couldn’t happen to any two nicer people than yourselves! I hope you are sleeping well and staying healthy! EYK, Hwaiting!

3. Congratulations! You guys worked so hard to get to where you’re at right now. Can’t wait to see the final product! :D

4. I kept cleaning my monitor because of that fruit fly~!! haha just realized it was with the video after i finished watching ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

5. Oh my gosh, I am SO excited for this. I can’t even explain my feels. /lol/ I’m glad I was able to be apart of why you guys have accomplished this! :D

6. This is so awesome! You know, you guys have a pretty freaking cool success story. I’m sure there are a lot of people who are not only fans of you and your segments, but inspired on a personal level.

7. Gosh…the design wizards are amazing. We want this. Draw. Coffee. Done. It’s so fast 0___0 No wonder it will be done in a week.
    Seriously after the first visit to the mini kitchen and then watching it progress so quickly I was just thinking: “what is this Korean design sorcery?!”

8. It would be amazing if tour groups started bringing us to your studio and be all like ‘This is the wonderful and famous studio that eatyourkimchi does their filming in!!!!’ HAHAHAHA.

9. Studio’s looking great! I can imagine it looking really whacky and all… Since it’s thought out by you guys!

10. OMG!!! i’m sooo excited and sooooooooo proud of you two!! you have really come so far!!! I feel a little misty eyed T.T

11. ahhh! i can already imagine you guys interviewing people in that studio and when they come over having people be like “sorry you have a nAP POD?”
    on the real though, the studio is looking fantastic and i absolutely cannot wait to see it when it’s finished because wowie zowie it just looks fabulous

• An electrochromic window might be useful for that…that way u can have it block the light and make it dark for the napper, then flip a switch to make it clear when u want people to see in and know if it is empty. Works as a do not disturb sign and effective light blocker/allower.

• Maybe a little curtain. There are ones that completely block out all light.

12. Nic

ahhhh I’m so excited!

13. CRAZY!!! It looks seriously amazing so far and I can’t imagine how awesome the finished product will look like!! SO EXCITED!

14. guise! I’m so excited to see the end result! You guys have such a good eye for design. I almost want you to come to my house and do some designing. I have pictures and artwork that I’ve had for about a year and they have yet to actually make it onto the walls!

I can’t wait to see who will be the first group to be interviewed in your new studio! I’m thinking UKiss is going to be all over that! Kevin is such a little fan boy, I bet he’s bugging his management all the time saying “Book us for EYK in their new studio” and giving puppy eyes!

• Ha! for that to happen they would actually have to come back to Korea though. I think they plan on staying in Japan until March.

• I have a mental image of him being super happy and wanting a tour of the whole place.

15. I bet your designers might find some of your ideas wacky! But that’s what makes you guys you! Can’t wait to see the final unveiling!

• I was thinking that. lol I bet when the guy was painting the ceiling green,he was like “WTF is up with these foreigners and their bright colors?” But it wouldn’t be a Nasty studio without the S&M touch ;D

16. In the entrance, on the wall you should put a BIG eat your kimchi logo, but use tile or something else eye popping. Maybe something 3 dimensional? Anywho, Congratulations guys!!! Keep up the awesome work and don’t ever ever give up!!!

17. omg i just realized this now, if i ever visit korea, u guys will now have a place where i can come, instead of stalk (your apt) haha so cool!!

18. Ahhhh, just did a hyperventilatey happy dance when I saw this video was posted! Thank you so much for sharing all of this process with us. Also, the bright green paint in the kitchenette TOTALLY reminded me of Spudgy’s old mohawk :P

19. How far is the studio from your apartment?

20. AAHHHH This is super exciting! Best part is I know that I’m going to love it because you both have an amazing sense of style